PDA

View Full Version : Story of Islamic Aid

Blake
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
http://www.islamicaid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/about_story.jpg

I established Islamic Aid in 2000. I wanted to use my business expertise and experience of the charity sector to give something back to the community I had once belonged.

Yet during the charity’s infancy of its first year, the world watched in horror as we saw terrorist attacks in New York, where families were devastated as people lost their lives in the twin tower attacks.

Understandably, this was a difficult time for Muslim charities – both established and new – as the media and public began to question why they existed. Such charities were viewed with suspicion as people questioned what activities they may be funding.

For me personally, things did not end there. As the twin-towers collapsed so did one of my major business projects; that was set to be launched in November 2001 to offer Islamic banking in the UK and internationally. From the position of having a very robust business plan, very supportive business partnerships and venture capital in place and a forecast of more than £500 million under management in 4th year, I saw everything melted away in the tide of opinion against anything Islamic. While it was a big disaster for me and my business, for Islamic Aid it probably was a major turning point that I was able to give my increased attention to the charity.

While internationally it was very difficult time to run a charity with Islamic name, but it made me more determined to succeed and to show the importance of helping poor communities, many of whom had little idea of what the world may be thinking.

Today, alhamdullilah, I have my own successful business; Islamic Aid is growing very fast – already achieved an annual turnover of £3.3 million and recruited 67,000 donors; have established Islamic Aid in the US and we continue to expand our support to projects in parts of Africa, Asia and Europe. These successes also enabled me to support as a Trustee the cause of poverty alleviation through other charities like Practical Action, (www.practicalaction.org) and Pakistan Foundation. And, I want every child in the world to be successful.

Mahmood ul Hassan
Founder and Chairman, Islamic Aid

http://www.islamicaid.com/about-us/story-of-islamic-aid/

:cry

Mahmood delivering the goods with some fresh water.

Blake
06-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Abu Musa narrated that the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said, “Every Muslim has to give in sadaqah (charity).” The people asked, “O Allah’s Messenger (s.a.w.s.)! If someone has nothing to give, what will he do?” He said, “He should work with his hands and benefit himself and also give in charity (from what he earns).” The people further asked, “If he cannot do even that?” He replied, “Then he should help the needy who appeal for help.” Then the people asked, “If he cannot do that?” He replied, “Then he should perform all that is good and keep away from all that is evil and this will be regarded as charitable deeds.” (Bukhari Vol. 2, Hadith 524)

The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.) said: “To smile in the company of your brother is charity. To command to do good deeds and to prevent others from doing evil is charity. To guide a person in a place where he can not get astray is charity. To remove troublesome things like thorns and bones from the road is charity. To pour water from your jug into the jug of your brother is charity. To guide a person with defective vision is charity for you.” (Bukhari)

Just some good Muslims doing what the Koran commands them to do.