PDA

View Full Version : Why the Spurs Unite San Antonio

admiralsnackbar
06-01-2013, 12:27 AM
If it’s true you have to be good to be lucky, then there’s no better example than the Spurs and San Antonio. They’re good, and we’re lucky to have them. San Antonio without the Spurs would be a far less interesting city and probably a much harder sell to the talented young professionals and creatives we are trying so hard to recruit here.
Nothing unites people in San Antonio like the Spurs, except the military in moments of national unity, as happened after Sept. 11, 2001. Too often in our city’s history, the narrative has been North-South, rich-poor, Anglo-Hispanic. There is less of that now than when my family moved here in 1989, but through the 24 years we’ve been here, people have always come together around the Spurs.

More... (http://therivardreport.com/why-the-spurs-unite-san-antonio/)

More a human interest story for San Antonians than anything valuable for the greater fan-base, but it's still a long time until the Finals, so eff it.

Blake
06-01-2013, 12:47 AM
.....when my family moved here in 1989, but through the 24 years we’ve been here, people have always come together around the Spurs.

24 years of winning will do that.

moisaenz
06-01-2013, 12:59 AM
I am not from San Antonio been there. I can see that the city is a hard working one, although a highly educated one. The ethnic diversity of the team and the organization embodies San Antonio, which I could live there.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-01-2013, 01:03 AM
I think most sports teams tend to unite a city.

Conservatives, liberals, wealthy, poor, in Philadelphia, for instance, tend to root for the Eagles. It's something a local people have in common.

That being said, two decades of winning don't hurt, of course (as far as the Spurs and San Antonio are concerned.)

Two10Whitey
06-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I am not from San Antonio been there. I can see that the city is a hard working one, although a highly educated one. The ethnic diversity of the team and the organization embodies San Antonio, which I could live there.
I'm pretty sure our city has been ranked as one of the "dumbest" cities in the US a couple of years ago. Either way its a nice city to live in.

moisaenz
06-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm pretty sure our city has been ranked as one of the "dumbest" cities in the US a couple of years ago. Either way its a nice city to live in.

I live in El Paso, so my opinion is relative...

Kool Bob Love
06-10-2013, 10:06 PM
SAN ANTONIO!!!!