PDA

View Full Version : Heat sign undrafted Walsh

Kori Ellis
07-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Walsh's risk is rewarded: Heat, guard agree on deal

After going undrafted, the Heat and former UF guard Matt Walsh struck a preliminary pact that will likely last two years.

BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ

[email protected]

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12119958.htm

Matt Walsh was in a Los Angeles International Airport terminal Monday night, trying to avoid checking his bags as long as possible, hoping he would hear the news that kept him from boarding a plane to Seattle.

''I was just waiting, and my phone was about to die, so I was trying to find a plug to put it in, thinking that I wasn't going to be able to talk to anybody,'' Walsh said.

Walsh eventually got a call from his agent, Jason Levien, and the news was as good as he could've expected. The Heat and Levien had struck a preliminary agreement on a contract that will likely last two years, with a significant portion of the first season being guaranteed. Historically, the Heat signs young prospects to two-year deals, with the second year as a team option.

''I'm thrilled for Matt but not surprised,'' Levien said. ``I think he's proven over the last several months that he is an NBA player. That's what we were told, and now he's ready to deliver on that.''

FREE-FALL

It was Walsh, along with his Florida teammate Anthony Roberson, who was widely criticized for leaving the University of Florida after his junior season despite the prospect of not getting drafted. Walsh was considered a late first-round possibility, but once he slipped out of the first round, he slid out of the draft altogether.

The Heat had interest with the No. 29 pick but chose Kansas' Wayne Simien instead. There were two teams willing to draft Walsh in the second round, but only if he committed to the idea of playing a season overseas.

Walsh decided to gamble, even if it meant not getting drafted at all. He figured he could go the free agent route and find a team that fell in love with his shooting ability and overall feel for the game.

He found one rather quickly. Walsh played in just two games for the Heat summer-league team and was on his way to join the Seattle Sonics team that would play its summer-league games in Salt Lake City.

But Walsh had nine points, eight rebounds, five assists and took three charges in Monday night's summer-league game against the Dallas Mavericks. Heat president Pat Riley was in attendance, as was general manager Randy Pfund.

After watching the 6-7 guard for two weeks of practices and games, they didn't want to let Walsh bolt for another team, prompting them to talk contract.

For Walsh, it was redemption after two weeks of being criticized.

MOVING ON

''There was a time when I was real upset, and that lasted for about a half hour [after the draft],'' Walsh said. ``I was just like, `[Forget] it. This is the situation I have now, and I've just got to go out and prove myself in a different way.'

``I think I got a lot of heat for [leaving early], and Jason did and my dad and everyone around me got heat for it, saying I made a terrible decision. My thoughts never wavered. I completely trusted the people around me, and I knew I was getting good information and feedback.''

Matt's father, Mike Walsh, said he didn't expect a deal to come this quickly, but he had full confidence his son would prove his doubters wrong.

''People that were making comments about things, they were sniping at the decision, they were sniping at Matt, at Jason and me -- I guess they think I'm some whacko,'' Mike Walsh said. ``They were just misinformed.

``It cracked me up that some of these people were making comments about us being misled. We weren't misled one bit.''

The Heat rarely offers partial guarantees to players it doesn't believe will make the final roster, so Walsh has a strong chance of making the team. At 205 pounds, though, Walsh will have to work primarily on his strength if he wants to continue to impress.

''I know the things I have to work on,'' Walsh said. ``I think the biggest thing is strength, and with that will come more of a defensive presence. As soon as summer league's over I'll be hitting the weight room, and I think I'll be able to put on some good muscle and weight.''

Mr. Body
07-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Pretty nice pick up. He was overrated as a first rounder, but he's low risk for a weak bench.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-13-2005, 03:08 AM
Story reminds me of Devin Brown.