PDA

View Full Version : “I want to be a person identified with San Antonio.” – Tiago Splitter.

PingPong
06-02-2013, 08:34 AM
I translated it a little bit rushed, it’s 10:30 a.m. here andI’m a bit sleepy yet, so... Seems the author translated it from english and I translated it to english again that's why it looks a little bit weird.
(journalist bullshit header) With the help of an argentinian, Splitter fights for the 1st ‘’brazilian’ NBAtitle (http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/esporte/2013/06/1287883-com-ajuda-de-um-argentino-splitter-busca-1-titulo-brasileiro-na-nba.shtml)
Eder Fantoni, in a collaborationto Folha de S. Paulo

In his third season in NBA, Tiago Splitter already reached something beyond he could imagine. After a hard start in the north american league, the center earned the starter condition, improved his game and for the first time in his career , is in the finals of the most hyped basketball’s championship of the world.
It’s the only second brazillian player to reach such achievement– Andy Varejao already reached the finals, but he was in the bench. In this season, Splitter doubled his (playing) minutes in court by San Antonio if compared tothe 2010-11, his rookie season – 24,7 minutes per game.
(he has) Improved his free throws, rebounds, steals and points. Much of that because of an argentinian.
Splitter, 28, told to Folha (the newspaper’s name) Manu Ginobili has been kinda of mentor to him in the U.S. At 35, the forward (wtf?), who plays for the spurs since 2002, 3 NBA title winner and part of the Big Three of NBA (big three of San Antonio?)alongside the guard Tony Parker and the center/forward Tim Duncan.
“Ginobili helped me in the adaption to the team. I play easily with him. He has a superb court vision.” – said (Splitter) .
Duncan was another importante team mate to the brazilian adapt to the game. Both make the Spurs frontcourt since december, since Splitter earned the starting status.
“Since the lockout, we are training together . And in the off season too. He’s a role model.”
But until the brazilian becomes a Duncan itself, it requires time. Or, like recognizes Splitter, “it’s hard to be like Duncan.” The 37 years old athlete, who plays for the Spurs since the beginning of his career and has four NBA championships, is considered an icon of San Antonio, something Splitter wants to be.
“I want to be somebody identified with the city of San Antonio” – says Splitter. “I want to be the first brazillian to win an NBA championship. I think it’s a bit individualistic from me (wtf?)”.
Splitter was the only player from Brazil actively playing in the playoffs – Brazil had six athletes playing in the NBA this season.
“Everything happened. The biggest issue were the injuries. I hope they (the brazilian players) can be back stronger next season” – told Splitter.

spursfaninla
06-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Good to hear that Splitter feels a connection to Spurs players, and has a strong drive to improve. He can still develop his post skills, and an outside shot.

milkyway21
06-02-2013, 09:41 AM
“I want to be somebody identified with the city of SanAntonio” – says Splitter. “I want to be the first brazillian to win na NBAchampionship. I think it’s a bit individualistic from me

:lol Terrible read because of the spacing and the translation but the story is there .. It answered my Q a few days ago..yes, he is the 1st Brazilian to win(if ever), an NBA title... good luck Tiago.

Spursfanfromafar
06-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Tiago is a great guy who has adapted well with the Spurs. The fact that he has improved his Achilles heel - FT shooting - in just one year shows his commitment to improve himself. Here's hoping he will stay a long time with the Spurs and improve further upon his post game and maybe take some jumpers from 10-15 ft range in the coming years. He will be a force to reckon with.

milkyway21
06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
I hope it's okay to insert an article RE: Tiago & European Big Men With High Buyouts for the Long-Term

The Tiago Splitter Buyout: San Antonio and the Virtues of Patience

The San Antonio Spurs are far and away the best-managed franchise in the NBA, so you can learn a lot about business practice from focusing on what they do. Conversely, people who fail to appreciate the role of general business considerations here get things wrong. Henry Abbott, for example, attributes their success at finding valuable players with non-lottery picks almost entirely to Gregg Popovich's coaching strategy. But while player development is important, building a team really is mostly about finding the right guys. Sometimes you get the No. 1 overall pick and snag Tim Duncan, but to succeed over a 15-year span you need to do better than that.

Speaking of Tiago Splitter, for example, Abbott writes "Splitter was once the Spurs' [Jonas] Valanciunas, if you will—only the kind you draft 28th overall instead of fifth."

Except that's misleading. When the Spurs drafted Splitter at position 28 he was already a known quantity in NBA circles, and few people doubted he'd be a successful player. He considered entering the 2006 NBA draft, but the problem was that no teams wanted to take him with a high pick. And the issue wasn't that they doubted his talents; it was that he was still under contract to play for a Spanish team. By the 2007 draft he was 22 and thus automatically eligible to be drafted, but again nobody wanted to take him with a high pick because it seemed he'd be unavailable to play NBA basketball for years. So the Spurs took the 28th overall pick and used it to make a long-term investment. They were confident that sooner or later Splitter would want to come to the NBA to test his skills against the best players in the world. And, indeed, he did. But not until the fall of 2010.

When Splitter finally joined the team, the Spurs had a guy who'd been MVP and Finals MVP of the Spanish league, an all-Euroleague first team player, and a multi-time champion on various levels of basketball. And from Day 1 in the NBA he was an efficient scorer and solid rebounder, he just took a year or two to master the Spurs' defensive rotations.

But his success wouldn't have come as a surprise to any of the scouts working on the 2006 and 2007 drafts, all of whom thought he was a good player. The reason he fell to the Spurs is that most general managers feel they have to manage for the short-term. If the team does badly next year you might get fired. So he can't draft a guy who'll be completely useless for the next three years in the hopes that it'll get you high-quality cheap talent five or six years down the road. GMs implement drafting strategies that are the equivalent of a CEO who focuses on quarterly earnings estimates rather than on developing the next generation of products. A good player on a rookie contract is an extremely valuable commodity in a sport with a salary cap, and displaying a modicum of patience to get one should be a no-brainer. But few teams have the discipline to do it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/05/29/tiago_splitter_buyout_san_antonio_and_the_virtues_ of_patience.html

Knoxxx
06-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Let's hope he wants to be identified with S.A. for less than full market value.

100%duncan
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Settle for 9 million a year then. Stay.

TheGoldStandard
06-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Get stronger and please be more aggressive in the post.

exstatic
06-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Let's hope he wants to be identified with S.A. for less than full market value.

Doubtful. Players often say this, but what they mean is "...if I get paid".

tesseractive
06-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Doubtful. Players often say this, but what they mean is "...if I get paid".
It's not totally outlandish. There's a pretty long track record of Spurs players being willing to do this. I'm not saying he's going to sign for dirt cheap, but when was the last time we paid full market value to resign one of our own?

benefactor
06-02-2013, 12:49 PM
He will stay...and they will pay him to stay.

pikkiwoki
06-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Splitter was the only player from Brazil actively playing inthe playoffs – Brazil had six athletes playing in the NBA this season.

Splitter
Nene
Flopajao
Barbosa
Fab Melo?
???

who's the 6th brazilian?

edit: scott machado

PingPong
06-02-2013, 02:12 PM
It's a major newspaper in Brazil, kinda like NYT, so their sports articles are generic. Big media usually are shitty when it comes to sports.

spurraider21
06-02-2013, 02:37 PM
i hope he identifies with the spurs on a reasonable contract

Penya
06-02-2013, 02:48 PM
According to some Spanish journalists, he and the Spurs have already reached an agreement.

moisaenz
06-02-2013, 04:16 PM
According to some Spanish journalists, he and the Spurs have already reached an agreement.
Maybe it is the same with Manu. Since the deals for each were dependent on each other.

exstatic
06-02-2013, 04:59 PM
It's not totally outlandish. There's a pretty long track record of Spurs players being willing to do this. I'm not saying he's going to sign for dirt cheap, but when was the last time we paid full market value to resign one of our own?

Tim's second and third contracts. Manu's current contract.

Anyone who's left money on the table got paid FIRST. Tiago started late, age 25. This may be his only shot for a prime time deal.

tesseractive
06-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Tim's second and third contracts. Manu's current contract.

Anyone who's left money on the table got paid FIRST. Tiago started late, age 25. This may be his only shot for a prime time deal.
Good point, actually. There have been exceptions -- I'm pretty sure Danny could have earned more somewhere else last year, for example -- but in general, you're right.

Kidd K
06-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm in agreement with everyone who says, "he wants to stay if he gets paid".

In other words, if the Spurs pay a shitload, he wouldn't leave to go anywhere else. I mean, cool and all, but. . .it doesn't exactly make me giddy either. lol

Anyway, nice article, thanks for translating it OP.

Stabula
06-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I would happily take less money if it made the team better by giving them more financial flexibility. Getting paid 7 figures to play basketball is one of the biggest privileges I can imagine.

exstatic
06-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I would happily take less money if it made the team better by giving them more financial flexibility. Getting paid 7 figures to play basketball is one of the biggest privileges I can imagine.

Getting paid 8 figures is more of a privilege.

KaiRMD1
06-02-2013, 07:37 PM
He's got to grow balls.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Then please finish around the rim.

If Tiago finds himself on another team without Duncan he better get ready for some hatred from his new team's fans. The shots he gets will be much tougher. His post game is not polished, it's gonna be rough.

PingPong
06-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I think if he gets a more proeminent role, he can pull a 2012-13 Andy Varejao. Not exactly the same numbers, but he can fit to bigger roles, like he did in Spain.

mystargtr34
06-02-2013, 07:57 PM
"Took him a year or two to master the defensive rotations" :lol.

jag
06-02-2013, 08:06 PM

If Tiago finds himself on another team without Duncan he better get ready for some hatred from his new team's fans. The shots he gets will be much tougher. His post game is not polished, it's gonna be rough.

Relative to what?

pgardn
06-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I think if he gets a more proeminent role, he can pull a 2012-13 Andy Varejao. Not exactly the same numbers, but he can fit to bigger roles, like he did in Spain.

This is the NBA.

imo he is going to have a very difficult time if he is relied upon for initiating some offense down low...

DPG21920
06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
It will be interesting to see the impact of this deep run and possible championship has on his value. He has a chance to make substantial money (even more than normal) if he steps up in the finals and the Spurs win.

It will also be interesting to see if Pop's early treatment of Tiago will have any impact on his desire to stay and/or give the Spurs any sort of price break. I wouldn't imagine the relationship is at all strained, but there could be something to it come contract time.

benefactor
06-02-2013, 08:17 PM
They will work something out. The Spurs bread and butter with Parker is the pick and roll...and Splitter is arguably the best pick and roll big in the league. Combine that with his excellent passing skills and the Spurs would be hard pressed to find a better big to fit their system.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Relative to what?
Brand
Jefferson
Asik
Gasol and Randolph
Davis
Lopez

All from our division...
Who do you think he is better than offensively?

jag
06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Saying that Splitter's post-up game is not "polished" is laughable.

Relative to Duncan and Hakeem, I agree. Relative to the other bigmen in the League right now, his post-up footwork, awareness and passing is among the best in the League. He certainly needs more reps against NBA level post defenders, but there's little doubt he's got the skill to play in the post.

Arguing that he'd have trouble as a team's primary or secondary offensive option is also dumb, considering no one, including Tiago, expects him to go to a team as the top scoring option.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 08:25 PM

Relative to Duncan and Hakeem, I agree. Relative to the other bigmen in the League right now, his post-up footwork, awareness and passing is among the best in the League. He certainly needs more reps against NBA level post defenders, but there's little doubt he's got the skill to play in the post.

Arguing that he'd have trouble as a team's primary or secondary offensive option is also dumb, considering no one, including Tiago, expects him to go to a team as the top scoring option.

Look at the list. Tiago has zero outside game. Who does he have a better post game out of that list?

He has to play pick and roll or high low.

Have you looked at that hook? Is that really a hook shot?

jag
06-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Brand
Jefferson
Asik
Gasol and Randolph
Davis
Lopez

All from our division...

Did you really just mention Elton Brand? You also think Asik and Anthony Davis have a more polished post-up game?

As far as Jefferson, Pau, Marc, ZBo and Lopez, do you now what they make per year in salary?

jag
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Oh, so we're not judging the efficacy of Tiago's post-up game, we're judging how pretty it looks?

In that case, please tell me how much prettier ZBo's post-up game is.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Did you really just mention Elton Brand? You also think Asik and Anthony Davis have a more polished post-up game?

As far as Jefferson, Pau, Marc, ZBo and Lopez, do you now what they make per year in salary?

Yes.
No hell yes they are better at posting up.
That is NOT what Tiago does for us. He is awful at the iso post up.

As I said before high low, pick and roll.

And yes, he'll yes Brand is better at posting up. It ain't even close.

What the fck are you watching?

pgardn
06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Oh, so we're not judging the efficacy of Tiago's post-up game, we're judging how pretty it looks?

In that case, please tell me how much prettier ZBo's post-up game is.

Get off it. You think Tiago puts the ball in the hole like Randolph? Really?
Do you have any idea what our defense with Tiago against himself would do to him if he tried to post?

DPG21920
06-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Tiago is one of the league leaders in FG%

pgardn
06-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I really like what Tiago gives us in other areas as he fits in very well.
He has better lateral movement than Duncan. He can bother almost every big he covers because he can stay in front of them. Offensively he works very well with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. I want him to stay right here because he is a major part of why we are here.

But NOT due to his post game, hops, or ability to hang on to rebounds in traffic. Two out of these 3 there is much room for improvement. Hops, that's a lost cause.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Tiago is one of the league leaders in FG%
Yes.

But not due to his ISO post game.

PnR. And Parker and Gino so effective at getting to the rim and dishing to him. Tiago now has the knack for getting open in our game. Also excellent high low with Duncan.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-02-2013, 09:01 PM
According to Mysynergy, Tiago shoots 43.9% in post-ups, good for 61st in the league. Elton Brand is 34th. Jefferson is 46th. Asik is 152nd. Gasol is 15th. Randolph is 77th. Davis is 171st. Lopez is 89th. Davis, Asik, and Brand has fewer attempts than him.

So Tiago isn't that bad of a post-up player, though I think anybody looking to sign him doesn't want him for his post-up skills.

jag
06-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Brand
Jefferson
Asik
Gasol and Randolph
Davis
Lopez

All from our division...

Look at the list. Tiago has zero outside game. Who does he have a better post game out of that list?

He has to play pick and roll or high low.

Yes.
No hell yes they are better at posting up.
That is NOT what Tiago does for us. He is awful at the iso post up.

As I said before high low, pick and roll.

And yes, he'll yes Brand is better at posting up. It ain't even close.

What the fck are you watching?

Get off it. You think Tiago puts the ball in the hole like Randolph? Really?
Do you have any idea what our defense with Tiago against himself would do to him if he tried to post?

He has better lateral movement than Duncan. He can bother almost every big he covers because he can stay in front of them. Offensively he works very well with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. I want him to stay right here because he is a major part of why we are here.

But NOT due to his post game, hops, or ability to hang on to rebounds in traffic. Two out of these 3 there is much room for improvement. Hops, that's a lost cause.

Yes.

But not due to his ISO post game.

PnR. And Parker and Gino so effective at getting to the rim and dishing to him. Tiago now has the knack for getting open in our game. Also excellent high low with Duncan.

I found this:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4828/postgx.jpg

Please share your thoughts. I added a few more players you forgot to bring into the discussion. I sorted the data for you so it would be easier to read.

Concessions:
-34 year old Elton Brand is a low-post juggernaut. He should have gotten a few more attempts, tbh. He's quite the ace in the hole for you, what with his 37 made baskets.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
According to Mysynergy, Tiago shoots 43.9% in post-ups, good for 61st in the league. Elton Brand is 34th. Jefferson is 46th. Asik is 152nd. Gasol is 15th. Randolph is 77th. Davis is 171st. Lopez is 89th. Davis, Asik, and Brand has fewer attempts than him.

So Tiago isn't that bad of a post-up player, though I think anybody looking to sign him doesn't want him for his post-up skills.

No team in their right mind is going to run any kind of double or even make a real effort to slack of their man out of fear of Tiago lowering the shoulder and bullying a Duncan baby hook. Stats are so misleading.

Randolph is 77th? Does one think it might be due to the fact that he is doubled almost every time he touches the ball down low? Tiago is better in the post than Randolph is the conclusion...

Silliness.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I found this:

Please share your thoughts. I added a few more players you forgot to bring into the discussion. I sorted the data for you so it would be easier to read.

Concessions:
-34 year old Elton Brand is a low-post juggernaut. He should have gotten a few more attempts, tbh. He's quite the ace in the hole for you, what with his 37 made baskets.

He is a better post player than Tiago.
Period.

Because of injuries and Houston's up tempo style he does not fit with the theme of their team THIS year.

You are flat out foolish if you think Tiago is a better post player than Brand.
Watch the players play. Jesus Christ...

so now we have two different displays of data that are hugely misleading.
Congrats in the movement to further the misuse of stats.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I found this:

Concessions:
This isn't a part of the discussion, but where did you find that chart? It looks much easier than looking up all the players individually on mysynergy.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Oh...

And I failed to look up anything.

i watch the games, it's a lost art.

jag
06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
He is a better post player than Tiago.
Period.

Because of injuries and Houston's up tempo style he does not fit with the theme of their team THIS year.

You are flat out foolish if you think Tiago is a better post player than Brand.
Watch the players play. Jesus Christ...

:lol I just conceded that Brand is better than Tiago. It's the part of my post following the word "Concessions." I tried to make it simple for you because I'm not sure English is your first language. Brand is also 34 and irrelevant as far as the NBA is concerned. He played 20mpg.

Now please explain to me how Anthony Davis and Omar Asik are better post-up players.

Please also address Tiago's post-up FG% relative to other big-earners in the NBA.

I'd like to get your opinions on these things.

:corn:

jag
06-02-2013, 09:29 PM
This isn't a part of the discussion, but where did you find that chart? It looks much easier than looking up all the players individually on mysynergy.

I just made it in Excel using data from Synergy. I was trying to make it easy to pgardn. He seemed rather misinformed.

jag
06-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Oh...

And I failed to look up anything.

i watch the games, it's a lost art.

You don't have to tell me you didn't research your opinions. That was obvious as soon as I read your first post in his thread.

Also, I'm not sure watching games is a "lost art." It's actually very common. I can post NBA TV ratings for you, if you'd like?

Bruno
06-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Tiago is averaging 6.8ppg and 3.7rpg in these playoffs. I highly doubt it has raised his market value. Saying that, I would gladly welcome Splitter having a monster finals even if it means Spurs having to gave him an additional $10M for his next contract.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
:lol I just conceded that Brand is better than Tiago. It's the part of my post following the word "Concessions." I tried to make it simple for you because I'm not sure English is your first language. Brand is also 34 and irrelevant as far as the NBA is concerned. He played 20mpg.

Now please explain to me how Anthony Davis and Omar Asik are better post-up players.

Please also address Tiago's post-up FG% relative to other big-earners in the NBA.

I'd like to get your opinions on these things.

NO is a totally guard oriented scoring team and quite bad. They used Davis more for over the top dunks because they already have the lane clogged with Lopez. Davis is naturally a better player in almost every facet of the game compared to Tiago. If we had a chance to take him straight up for Tiago... I would explode, NOW. And so would Duncan and Popovich.

Asik is a better outside shooter than a post player and again was used as such in their up tempo style. Having watched him on just a few post possessions he is better than Tiago in the post IMO. This, however, would be the one guy I could give you.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 09:47 PM
You don't have to tell me you didn't research your opinions. That was obvious as soon as I read your first post in his thread.

Also, I'm not sure watching games is a "lost art." It's actually very common. I can post NBA TV ratings for you, if you'd like?

Then you should have answered your own questions quite simply.
But I cant put a number on it, so I guess it has no validity.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 10:03 PM

I already did in the other stat post.

But let's try this:
say you post Tiago mid block. So Tiago faces up, because he is a threat with that jumper, so you move up tighter to control this easy shot. Tiago then pivots again and positions himself with his back to the basket and gets his body a bit past you in better position for a romp at the rim. So now you are really worried so you bring a quick guard to double him because he will surely overpower your big with a brutish move to the hoop for an easy shot, his body keeping your big firmly planted while putting in an overpowering banker in the face. He has dropped stepped right thru your fly-like guard.

And One.

It happened so often...devastating.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I just made it in Excel using data from Synergy. I was trying to make it easy to pgardn. He seemed rather misinformed.

Wow.

Excel.

I hear it has eyes.
Misinformed...
You are like a child who walked into the middle of a movie and have asked me how much your buttered popcorn cost.

jag
06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure what to make of the last few posts in this thread. If I cared more, I'd sort through all the gibberish and address your points. You're free to think what you want, but the facts don't support what you seem to think you are viewing on TV.

My opinion on all this was very clear from the beginning.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 10:54 PM
What I understand is that you don't know how to question what stats can give one and have demonstrated perfectly how they can be misused.

I can tell you I agree that his footwork has gotten better on offense but it has not helped his post game much because he is a much better on the move finisher or a quick shot finisher after traffic has cleared. Usually using the opposite side of the basket because he cannot jump. He is BAD finisher in traffic. When you see him iso posted, and a team clearly wants the ball out of his hands, I will know he can post up.

when other teams actually leave shooters to at least feign a double, I will know he can post.
And somewhere along the way he needs a little face up jumper. No numbers, just an opinion on actually posting up with the intent to score, not just PLAYING the post position.

exstatic
06-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Brand
Jefferson
Asik
Gasol and Randolph
Davis
Lopez

All from our division...

Certainly Asik. Probably Brand, too, since his best days are FAR behind him. The Lopez with the polished offense also plays in Brooklyn.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Certainly Asik. Probably Brand, too, since his best days are FAR behind him. The Lopez with the polished offense also plays in Brooklyn.
Brand has definitely seen better days. But if you could give Tiago Brand's low post abilities right now, i would take it. NO way I would take him as a player over Tiago. The Lopez in NO This year was better at posting and scoring. This is of course is also an opinion that I feel most confident about.

I really like Tiago but his weaknesses are very apparent. Maybe Pop stunted his little jumper.
I just have a very difficult time seeing as a post up player, especially in the playoffs.

If we play Miami he will almost certainly have a smaller man on him so I hope to God he can punish them. Like West is doing injured and sick (last game).

BackHome
06-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Tiago gets by being a very smart and crafty player and has players that can create easy shots for him. Saying that he needs to get stronger this summer "Dunk the Damn Ball" and if he is going to continue to use that Hook shot he needs to learn and make it better he might want to pay a certain ex NBA player on developing an American Hook shot.

06-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Just play well in the finals Splitter and you will get a big payday. You might still get one without a good performance but it won't be from the Spurs.

Man In Black
06-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Pg...this sounds like the kind of stuff us long timers use to go BAMA & HOYA on when it came to who should replace DRob. So many people wanted Michael Olowokandi- I hated that option so much, I called him SUCKMYWOKANDI. All those other players you talk about, are untouchable with how fiscally responsible they are.
Plus, Pop isn't so overly reliant on 4 down anymore so why are are we talking about Tiago's post up ability. He has decent ability, but it's the other things, it's the shots he doesn't take where a perfectly placed pass is more effective. Some of those other peeps you talk about on your list are BLACK HOLE BALL STOPPERS.

This Spurs team isn't heavily reliant on post ups and when Tim is gone, then perhaps what you say will pose an issue, or, knowing the Spurs, they'll have Chip find a way to work on his lofty release.

Mal
06-03-2013, 12:50 AM
So take 50/5 and we good.

Vito Corleone
06-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Here is the deal, as a support guy to a superstar PF he is the perfect guy to have on the floor with him. On his own, he is very good but not a guy the Spurs can ride.

Not sure what that makes him as he is still probably going to get paid, but if you are trying to tie down a offer for him the Spurs will make I'd say a 60 million over 5 years is good for starters

hater
06-03-2013, 02:54 AM
Just dont get raped by chris fuckin andersen

FkLA
06-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Tiago is a great guy who has adapted well with the Spurs. The fact that he has improved his Achilles heel - FT shooting - in just one year shows his commitment to improve himself. Here's hoping he will stay a long time with the Spurs and improve further upon his post game and maybe take some jumpers from 10-15 ft range in the coming years. He will be a force to reckon with.

Tiago shot over 70% from the line in Europe as well as his rookie year and this year. Pretty sure it was just the hand injury bothering him during last years playoffs.

pgardn
06-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Pg...this sounds like the kind of stuff us long timers use to go BAMA & HOYA on when it came to who should replace DRob. So many people wanted Michael Olowokandi- I hated that option so much, I called him SUCKMYWOKANDI. All those other players you talk about, are untouchable with how fiscally responsible they are.
Plus, Pop isn't so overly reliant on 4 down anymore so why are are we talking about Tiago's post up ability. He has decent ability, but it's the other things, it's the shots he doesn't take where a perfectly placed pass is more effective. Some of those other peeps you talk about on your list are BLACK HOLE BALL STOPPERS.

This Spurs team isn't heavily reliant on post ups and when Tim is gone, then perhaps what you say will pose an issue, or, knowing the Spurs, they'll have Chip find a way to work on his lofty release.

Very Randomly:

We would not be in the finals without Tiago. Brand was a giant black hole when he was used. And since Tony runs the offense now, Tiago fits in wonderfully on offense. He is extremely quick on the PnR with Parker. He finds open spots after Tony or Manu penetrates. The list was made up on the fly using our division for comparison purposes with limited criteria.

My contention is/was basically that if he goes elsewhere, he might be expected to do more than he can elsewhere... The teams that think sharing the ball means we take turns going one on one... Tiago will not thrive on that type of team because he is not going to hurt you with the ball creating his own shot in the post. If for instance Cousin's left Sacremento, That would be absolutely the wrong place for him. He needs a team. We need him, and he needs us.

I would like to make a list of teams I think he could start on next to a good companion big. Work beckons...

Drom John
06-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Manu is getting maybe 80% of last year's salary.
Jackson is getting 0% of last year's salary.
Splitter will get paid. Off SpursTalk, I've read a couple of times somewhere, that Splitter could expect Asik money except spread evenly instead of a poisin pill.

Splitter is 2nd in his draft class in WS/48 only a tick behind #1 (though Splitter never played as an overwhelmed 19 year old).

Spur|n|Austin
06-03-2013, 10:09 AM

His post game was already considered polished when he was in Spain; I thought everybody was under the impression and already knew that his slow start could be contributed to the injury that hurt his PT..

superbigtime
06-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Signing him to a 4 year contract would be awesome. Love Tiago.

rmt
06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Tiago is going to get paid. Duncan is 37 years old and we're all witness to what's happening to MIA without a true center. Spurs are in the West with the 2 Gasols, Randolph, DH, Asik, Love, etc, etc. His pick and roll game fits perfectly with TP and Manu. This is the most international of all teams, and he's good friends with Manu. If it weren't for Pop leaving him on the bench for 2 years, I'd say there's a high probability he'll stay.

jimbo
06-03-2013, 03:47 PM
NO is a totally guard oriented scoring team and quite bad. They used Davis more for over the top dunks because they already have the lane clogged with Lopez. Davis is naturally a better player in almost every facet of the game compared to Tiago. If we had a chance to take him straight up for Tiago... I would explode, NOW. And so would Duncan and Popovich.

Asik is a better outside shooter than a post player and again was used as such in their up tempo style. Having watched him on just a few post possessions he is better than Tiago in the post IMO. This, however, would be the one guy I could give you.

I honestly feel dumber from reading your posts. I stopped here, I'm not reading any further.

You've only seen Asik for a few possessions and you're making any claims about him? Dude has AWFUL hands. His post game consists of him turning around and dunking, if he can't do that he can't do anything in the post. He has NEVER shown flashes of anything like Tiago Olajuwon vs OKC this year.

pgardn
06-03-2013, 05:20 PM
I honestly feel dumber from reading your posts. I stopped here, I'm not reading any further.

You've only seen Asik for a few possessions and you're making any claims about him? Dude has AWFUL hands. His post game consists of him turning around and dunking, if he can't do that he can't do anything in the post. He has NEVER shown flashes of anything like Tiago Olajuwon vs OKC this year.

You were dumber before you read them.

Tiago Olajuwon...

*Crinkle trash*

tesseractive
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Extremely misleading stats. For example, does it take into account when a player is being double teamed? Also, a player like Tiago is not going to be posted unless there is a mismatch in his favor, either, so him shooting 44% against someone 6'7" or under isn't really indicative of him having a polished post game. Players like Jefferson and Lopez are guarded by 7 footers constantly and double teamed a good amount. Tiago has pretty decent footwork(although he gets away with a lot of walks), but his moves are all finesse and soft, like a poor man's Pau Gasol. A part of me thinks Spurfan will be shocked when he resign him at 6-7 million a year.
This is actually a really good take, IMO. When I've seen Tiago post up, it's usually when teams are trying to hide a smaller defender on him, or when he gets a defensive rotation that he can take advantage of. If he's got a traditional big on him, the team tries to exploit other, more favorable openings in the defense.

jimbo
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
You were dumber before you read them.

Tiago Olajuwon...

*Crinkle trash*

Feel free to link me anything CLOSE to this that Asik's done :lol :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNWQReFPKQ

:downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin:

silverblackfan
06-03-2013, 06:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNWQReFPKQ

:downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin:

I think you proved your point.

pgardn
06-03-2013, 06:10 PM

I saw Tony Parker dunk.
Twice.

Until you read the entirety of what I posted I don't have time for you jimjob.

Obstructed_View
06-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Splitter is very very underrated, which is surprising from a fanbase that supposedly watched the Spurs play good defense for a number of years, and should understand it when they see it.

That said, if he doesn't step up and shut SAS' bitch ass mouth with his performance on the court, I might just be happy seeing him play somewhere else.

pgardn
06-04-2013, 05:04 PM