PDA

View Full Version : Tim Samaras dies chasing El Reno tornado

benefactor
06-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Sad. He was one of my favorite chasers on the show. I can remember hearing him talk about storms and thinking he was a genius on the subject. The weather community lost a great mind. He was always extra careful when he chased too...which makes this more of a shock.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334683/Oklahoma-tornadoes-Storm-chasers-Tim-Samaras-son-killed-El-Reno-12-dead.html

benefactor
06-02-2013, 02:31 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151652535544169&set=a.169775739168.113995.166805519168&type=1

DMC
06-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Fucking dumbass. Steve Irwin 2.0

GaryJohnston
06-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Play with fire, you get burned.

silverblk mystix
06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Don't wanna be insensitive...but it seems like he finally caught it and got what he was asking for...smh.

The Reckoning
06-02-2013, 03:38 PM
yeah let's drive a van into the middle of a tornado

Reck
06-02-2013, 03:40 PM
What no lol smileys this time bene?

RIP, but people who do these kind of crazy shit should know better.

Chief Brody
06-02-2013, 03:43 PM
http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/wp-content/uploads/twister-elwes.jpg

R.I.P. Loved him in Princess Bride

DJR210
06-02-2013, 11:46 PM
I want to see the footage. Can't wait til' it's released online. I narrowly escaped a tornado when I was a kid, scary ass shit being that close. It sounded like a freight train right next to the house.

MannyIsGod
06-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Sad. He was one of my favorite chasers on the show. I can remember hearing him talk about storms and thinking he was a genius on the subject. The weather community lost a great mind. He was always extra careful when he chased too...which makes this more of a shock.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334683/Oklahoma-tornadoes-Storm-chasers-Tim-Samaras-son-killed-El-Reno-12-dead.html

I disagree that he was always extra careful when he chased. I'm surprised it took this long for a chaser to die, honestly.

benefactor
06-03-2013, 06:38 AM
I don't know what makes you think that. I've watched basically every season and I can't remember him even getting close to being as dumb as Reid is sometimes. As far as chasers go as a whole, he was pretty damn careful.

And as far as the rest of the comments go, it isn't like he was some thrill seeker chasing storms to get off on it. I agree that a lot of those assholes deserve to get sucked up in one. Go read up on some of his research. The guy basically gave his life to try to find ways to understand tornadoes better so that things like what we saw this year could possibly be prevented.

MannyIsGod
06-03-2013, 12:03 PM
He came within seconds of getting hit before. Thats not being extremely careful. When you see large scale research teams that are tied to academic institutions you will see what careful is. Large projects like VORTEX don't come within seconds of getting their personnel killed or hurt. He may have been the safest on the show but that doesn't mean you're very safe at all.

benefactor
06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
I know he's cut it close before...you kinda have to if you are going to get a probe in the tornados path...but your last sentence is more what I was getting at. No matter how you slice it, it's dangerous work. Yes there are those that are safer but for the type of things he was trying to accomplish he usually used pretty good wisdom...unlike some of those retards with cameras trying to get the closest shot possible.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
A slight miscalculation

Before

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwDSiYkquUKZ3rNuPnWBEXf7vWqIBnd Vj4LTp5gjUIDNSNJBzR

After

http://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/samaras.jpg?w=627

DarrinS
06-03-2013, 03:38 PM
These dudes got a little too close, too

ziZNsproDzs

Big Empty
06-03-2013, 03:58 PM
sad. i know its a crazy job but these guys were scientist. they werent some local yahoos out for a thrill they devoted their lives to it. so i wont put them down. im sure their work and data have helped understand these storms a tiny bit better

DMC
06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't know what makes you think that. I've watched basically every season and I can't remember him even getting close to being as dumb as Reid is sometimes. As far as chasers go as a whole, he was pretty damn careful.

And as far as the rest of the comments go, it isn't like he was some thrill seeker chasing storms to get off on it. I agree that a lot of those assholes deserve to get sucked up in one. Go read up on some of his research. The guy basically gave his life to try to find ways to understand tornadoes better so that things like what we saw this year could possibly be prevented.
The guy who lived with bears was trying to understand bears better. Diane Fossey was trying to understand gorillas better. Steve Irwin was trying to understand stingrays better.

They were all doing stupid shit to understand these things. Driving into the middle of a tornado isn't any wiser than giving yourself HIV to help you find the cure.

Homeland Security
06-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Wanna go for a spin?

DMC
06-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Wanna go for a spin?

You were funnier as Koolaid Man tbh

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Funny in retrospect

From 2010

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/121783/2010-are-storm-chasers-i01.jpg

Being a storm chaser is a demanding life involving lot’s of travelling, but not always in the best conditions. Sometimes, you have to travel through 160 km/h winds and protect yourself – and your equipment – from softball-size hail! But that seems easier to do when you’re at the wheel of the A.R.E. TWISTEX Probe.

Tim Samaras, the tornado chaser and star of the hit television show “Storm Chasers” produced for Discovery Channel, asked A.R.E. to help him create the ultimate tornado-chasing vehicle, one he could drive into the eye of a storm.

The TWISTEX Probe is a 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 outfitted with A.R.E.’s Deluxe Commercial Unit (DCU) Series truck cap and numerous aftermarket accessories designed to increase the vehicle’s functionality in severe weather. A unique packaging that turned an ordinary heavy-duty pick-up into an ideal vehicle for following scientists, researchers and weather enthusiasts in their quest for the ultimate tornado footage.

Homeland Security
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
You were funnier as Koolaid Man tbh
yeah your mom likes me better as Koolaid Man too

Big Empty
06-03-2013, 05:36 PM
man the T.I.V. just drove into another tornado recently just fine

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/9889/20130528/tornado-intercept-vehicle-confronts-175-mph-storm-wins-video.htm

Trill Clinton
06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
can someone enlighten me on storm chasing and how it prevents tornadoes? sounds like some thrill seeking geek stuff.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2013, 05:47 PM
can someone enlighten me on storm chasing and how it prevents tornadoes? sounds like some thrill seeking geek stuff.

It's more "reality" TV. It was a great gig for him till the shit got really real.

I'm actually surprised how many in here watched that shit. I had never heard the guys name till he got bitch slapped by that tornado.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2013, 05:48 PM
man the T.I.V. just drove into another tornado recently just fine

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/9889/20130528/tornado-intercept-vehicle-confronts-175-mph-storm-wins-video.htm

That's a different TIV. It's got ground effect panels and outrigger anchors that did into the ground.

Trill Clinton
06-03-2013, 05:57 PM
It's more "reality" TV. It was a great gig for him till the shit got really real.

I'm actually surprised how many in here watched that shit. I had never heard the guys name till he got bitch slapped by that tornado.

but its a real life job, right? like, dudes actually drive around in batman cars and chase tornadoes. what is the point of that job?

KL2
06-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Another white guy dies doing stupid shit, I'm shocked.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Whats the point of your job? We all end up dead, dead, dead.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
It's all about toys and pussy.

DMC
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
yeah your mom likes me better as Koolaid Man too

No doubt

DMC
06-03-2013, 07:05 PM
but its a real life job, right? like, dudes actually drive around in batman cars and chase tornadoes. what is the point of that job?

Look up "job" in Wiki, you'll be astounded and probably sickened.

Never see a black man running toward a tornado, they don't chase them, they don't die in them.

Why...

You're told to get into the lowest place you can find, they already live there.

Big Empty
06-03-2013, 07:09 PM
It's all about toys and pussy.

LMAO AMEN ive been saying that for years

scampers
06-03-2013, 07:27 PM
He was putting his life on the line to research these storms so that we can better forecast tornadoes and save lives. Some stormchasers do what they do for money or fame, this guy was a researcher. (okay, the fame bug might have hit him a little when he joined the TV show) He actually built all of the equipment on his vehicle by hand and was highly regarded in the research community for the data he recovered throughout his career both before and after the stupid TV show, so he wasn't just some thrill junkie who jacks off to flying debris. Is it stupid purposefully getting close to tornadoes? Yeah. But give the man some respect for dying in the name of life saving research.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Pfffft. You actually watch them on the discovery channel?