PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili's Jumpshot

FuzzyLumpkins
06-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Ginobili is shooting 38% this postseason. His defense is better than it was for most of the season as he can move with people again but his jumpshot just disappeared. We have all seen the awkward and often embarrassing bricks he tosses up there. His FT shooting sucks. He isn't chucking either. He is taking open jumpers from good spots on the floor and just bricking them.

The conventional wisdom is that the jumpshot is the last to go right? Well then WTF happened because he cannot hit shit.

Budkin
06-02-2013, 07:24 PM
I think we're going to see some vintage Ginobili drives in the Finals. He's going to go all out.

Russ
06-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Wait till it's the one shot that counts. :)

Blind Witness
06-02-2013, 07:29 PM
That's a good question. He has shot some ridiculous airballs even when he's wide open lately. Maybe he's thinking more while he's in his shooting motion. Some of those shots look even more deliberate than usual. His shot just doesn't look like instinctual motion a lot of the times.

ElNono
06-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Manu has always taken a long ass time to get back in rhythm after going down... that's why the nagging injuries at the end of the season spelled trouble... but unlike guys like Neal, he has found ways to contribute and help the team win with his passing, defense and especially his rebounding...

He's not shooting much at all either... his role has become much more as a facilitator than scorer...

ricketts
06-02-2013, 07:33 PM

this

ElNono
06-02-2013, 07:35 PM
FWIW, in the Grizzlies series, Manu attempted 6.6 shots a game... he basically only took 6 shots on every game except Game 2, where he went 5-9 for 55% shooting... so he's not forcing the issue...which is good. This team can score when the ball moves, and that's exactly what Manu brings to the table...

FuzzyLumpkins
06-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Manu has always taken a long ass time to get back in rhythm after going down... that's why the nagging injuries at the end of the season spelled trouble... but unlike guys like Neal, he has found ways to contribute and help the team win with his passing, defense and especially his rebounding...

He's not shooting much at all either... his role has become much more as a facilitator than scorer...

Several months sure is a long ass time.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Ginobili is shooting 38% this postseason. His defense is better than it was for most of the season as he can move with people again but his jumpshot just disappeared. We have all seen the awkward and often embarrassing bricks he tosses up there. His FT shooting sucks. He isn't chucking either. He is taking open jumpers from good spots on the floor and just bricking them.

The conventional wisdom is that the jumpshot is the last to go right? Well then WTF happened because he cannot hit shit.

This is a very pertinent observation IMO.

He is missing wide open shots by a mile and his FTs?

Yes he has stepped up with some great drives and passes to rip open defenses, but the question still remains what has happened to his touch? I feel more comfortable with Green or Leonard hitting a 3... Something is gone and I never thought it would be confidence in his shot.

Spurs 4 The Win
06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I think we're going to see some vintage Ginobili drives in the Finals. He's going to go all out.

He is going to try and drive the lane in Game 1 and on the first attempt his glass bones will shatter lol

But seriously, he better step up his physicality, no reason to protect your body now, get to the glass and draw fouls

ElNono
06-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Several months sure is a long ass time.

He came back from his last injury on the last game of the season (4/17), and played only 12 mins... the Spurs have played a grand total of 15 games (including that one) since then..

He shot 42% during the season... there's no reason he can't get back to that...

picnroll
06-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Last game against the Grizz all his three pointers were in and out, not "embarrassing bricks". Watch the tape.

Robz4000
06-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Not too worried about Manu. As Nono said, he's still finding ways to make a positive impact on both ends of the floor and no one's going to ignore his shot because of his reputation (unless he hits rock bottom in the Finals, which is unlikely).

ElNono
06-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Not too worried about Manu. As Nono said, he's still finding ways to make a positive impact on both ends of the floor and no one's going to ignore his shot because of his reputation (unless he hits rock bottom in the Finals, which is unlikely).

That is key and why guys like Neal, even if shooting slightly better, cannot do what Manu does... he commands attention, and no team in their right mind will give him an open lane to the basket or a wide open shot. That's exactly what opens up the game for everyone else.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Last game against the Grizz all his three pointers were in and out, not "embarrassing bricks". Watch the tape.
That's fine. But he air balled or barely hit the rim in a number of other games.

I am not used to this from him. And his FT's are so shaky. It used to be all net. Something is amiss with his shot.

m33p0
06-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Manu is still a threat even by reputation alone.

if the pacers end up facing us in the finals, i hope paul george is the one guarding manu.

emanueldavidginobili
06-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I can't wait to see Manu play in the finals this whole season for him and pop were to preserve him and be healthy and now he's at the finals....Manu going all out for that ring!

ThaBigFundamental21
06-02-2013, 08:08 PM
He will be healthy when the finals start. Can't wait. He is going to go vintage Manu. Ring number 5 is on the way!

Agloco
06-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Honestly, I didn't like what I saw out of Manu during the late stretches of Game 4. For the most part, I don't think he's put the team in a bad position but I wonder if he's capable of stringing together 3-4 good games in a row anymore.

Don't be under any illusions, the Spurs need Manu to play an above average series to beat Miami despite the way they are currently playing against Indiana. We don't need (and won't get) 2005 Manu, but any version earlier than 2009 would be nice.

Stabula
06-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Manu will go down with a career ending injury 30 seconds after stepping onto the floor of Game 1. I have seen into the future.

Bruno
06-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Manu has been good but not great in these playoffs. Now, I still believe he can be great over few games and I expect him to have a great finals series.

OH BE 1 GINOBLI
06-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I actually think this much rest for our team, will only pay dividends for Ginobili, right off...he may be the only guy who comes back to start this series with his rhythm. Nothing would be sweeter for me, than this years final be his to shine...After all Timmy and Tony already got their Finals MVP!

BatManu20
06-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Spurs need Manu to play big if they want to have any chance of beating Miami. The big 3 all have to play well. We won't be getting this same Miami team that the Pacers are playing.

pgardn
06-02-2013, 11:04 PM
The OP was questioning his shot.

Of course we must have him. He sets up so much for our offense, Parker can in no way carry that load alone. And his anticipation on D has come back. Even if he lacks the speed he used to have.

sexinthatsx
06-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Seems like you guys are more worried about Manu stat-padding and making shots then the Spurs are actually winning with his contributing ways. Stop crying and watch him make it when it counts

racm
06-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Manu's J has deserted him but his facilitating has stepped up (his TOs per 36 are similar to his career, but his ASTs per 36 are way up) and he still rebounds well (his TRBs per 36 is better than that of Splitter's, Diaw's, or Bonner's).

So role-wise he looks more like a Jason Kidd, but Kidd never had Manu's sheer unpredictability.

Legacy
06-03-2013, 05:39 AM
I never lose faith in Manu Ginobili.

Russo21
06-03-2013, 05:46 AM
He's Manu Freakin Ginobili. He'll be right

ManuTastic
06-03-2013, 06:10 AM
The trouble is, Pop doesn't get that Manus shot is off, so he still gets the ball at the end of close games. In years past, Manu would shoot or drive in those iso's, and score one way or another (almost always at the line). Now, his shooting is bad, he doesn't get that many calls on the drive, and even his FT shooting is off. It's clear to everyone but Pop. Long story short: he can't close out games any more. Got to be Tony.

Doctor J
06-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Manu will go down with a career ending injury 30 seconds after stepping onto the floor of Game 1. I have seen into the future.

It is so embarrassing to cheer for the same team with someone like you.

lakerhaterade
06-03-2013, 06:22 AM
God talks to me. I see the future. You're wrong, you embarrassing shitty satanist scum.

TampaDude
06-03-2013, 06:22 AM
The trouble is, Pop doesn't get that Manus shot is off, so he still gets the ball at the end of close games. In years past, Manu would shoot or drive in those iso's, and score one way or another (almost always at the line). Now, his shooting is bad, he doesn't get that many calls on the drive, and even his FT shooting is off. It's clear to everyone but Pop. Long story short: he can't close out games any more. Got to be Tony.

Game 1 of the WCSF. 'nuff said.

100%duncan
06-03-2013, 07:51 AM
We need his facilitating in the second unit more than his scoring.

Spur|n|Austin
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
It is so embarrassing to cheer for the same team with someone like you.

He's a freak, I wouldn't worry about it.

We need his facilitating in the second unit more than his scoring.

This.

romain.star
06-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Game 1 of the WCSF. 'nuff said.

Manu admitted that he was not supposed to shoot (it should have been TP or Diaw)

romain.star
06-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Manu's J is not there but there's not much to be worried about since:
- w or w/o his J, he remains a highly valuable player on both ends of the court
- the scoring load is much more balanced than last year among role players (Leonard/Green/Splitter/Neal/Diaw/Bonner)

Phenomanul
06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Ginobili's PER is above 20 (All-Star level) for the playoffs... so he is still playing efficiently despite his shot being "off".

DJR210
06-03-2013, 09:41 AM
This is concerning to me as well. He seems to be shying away from the drives, and when he does drive he hasn't been finishing consistently, nor making his free throws.

Older players are usually able to hang around in the league based on their smarts and shooting ability, and judging on this postseason, neither has been a strength (Game 1 against the Warriors really sticks out, regardless of the game winner). I am concerned that we may go into next year and overpay Manu based on his history, opposed to the current production level.

The Spurs have historically "stood pat" when it comes to offseason moves after a winning season, and so far this has been a good strategy this season. If the Spurs do go on and win the title, I think we do need to look at a few changes to have a shot at competing again next year. I'd like to keep Manu in a Spurs jersey, but as a compliment to a younger player. I doubt he is willing to play for the minimum.

Hopefully the Spurs find a way to make a move similiar to the Hill-Leonard masterpiece on a SG, but that would be a long shot IMO. Who knows, with all of the Spurs guys in the opposing teams front offices these days, maybe RC can find a way to make it happen.

ducks
06-03-2013, 10:15 AM

he missed badly on a three seconds earlier took one and made up for it
but all the manu lovers are saying just wait just wait
HE SHOOTS WELL ON 3-4 days rest only
he is a vet now that should be paid the vet min to teach and to go and play 10 minutes a game

ducks
06-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Ginobili's PER is above 20 (All-Star level) for the playoffs... so he is still playing efficiently despite his shot being "off".

if he gets more shots and misses spurs miss the shot does not matter
he needs to be more effeicent
he would even say so

moisaenz
06-03-2013, 10:18 AM
This is concerning to me as well. He seems to be shying away from the drives, and when he does drive he hasn't been finishing consistently, nor making his free throws.

Older players are usually able to hang around in the league based on their smarts and shooting ability, and judging on this postseason, neither has been a strength (Game 1 against the Warriors really sticks out, regardless of the game winner). I am concerned that we may go into next year and overpay Manu based on his history, opposed to the current production level.

The Spurs have historically "stood pat" when it comes to offseason moves after a winning season, and so far this has been a good strategy this season. If the Spurs do go on and win the title, I think we do need to look at a few changes to have a shot at competing again next year. I'd like to keep Manu in a Spurs jersey, but as a compliment to a younger player. I doubt he is willing to play for the minimum.

Hopefully the Spurs find a way to make a move similiar to the Hill-Leonard masterpiece on a SG, but that would be a long shot IMO. Who knows, with all of the Spurs guys in the opposing teams front offices these days, maybe RC can find a way to make it happen.
I understand spurs shouldn't overpay Manu but minimum? Other teams are going to offer him more than minimum, way more.

ginobilized
06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Manu will be Manu in the Finals. He looks as healthy as he has all year and if his jumpshot reappears for 2-4 games Spurs get a ring. Might even win without his jumpshot. He has always risen to the occasion and there is no reason to doubt him now. I predict he will be the Manu Ginobili that Pop wants to cook breakfast for more often than not in the Finals. I'm much more concerned about Green, Leonard and Neal shooting well than Manu.

Phenomanul
06-03-2013, 11:02 AM

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/seasontype/3

I just looked it up to see where it was currently (after the last game)... And he's sitting just under 20 at a PER of 19.15. Which is good enough for best among Shooting Gaurds who have played significant minutes in the playoffs. Again it's not world-shattering given that he's performed better in other post-seasons; but it is fairly great considering his shot isn't falling.

If he continues to play the same way, with an appreciable improvement in his shooting percentage and a slight reduction in his turnovers he is poised to have a monster impact in the upcoming series.

EVAY
06-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Regardless of what is happening with his shots he has to keep shooting or faking it to keep the defenses honest.

Manu is desperately needed for the Finals, regardless of who we play, for the reasons Nono stated. Even if his shot is not falling, he is the absolute best at keeping the offense flowing for the second team. We have to have him on the floor with that second team or we will never be able to get Tony a breather. He is, imo, still a better passer than Tony, and has better court vision than even Timmy.

I believe he has not been driving as much because of the fear of re-injuring that hamstring. It was on a drive to the basket that he re-injured it the last time. He is trying to do everything he can to stay on the court, and we need him for that.

If we play the Heat, he will have to watch his passing because they will be in the lanes. If we play the Pacers, he is gonna take over because he is so much smarter than anyone on the Pacer team.

Darius McCrary
06-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Petition to rename this thread "Baldspot's jumpshot"
Sounds better.

DJR210
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
I understand spurs shouldn't overpay Manu but minimum? Other teams are going to offer him more than minimum, way more.

Duncan is worth more than the contract he signed as well. Spurs should offer slight above the minimum at the most IMO.

spurs10
06-03-2013, 05:51 PM
He's Manu Freakin Ginobili. He'll be right
this

TJastal
06-03-2013, 06:30 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/seasontype/3

I just looked it up to see where it was currently (after the last game)... And he's sitting just under 20 at a PER of 19.15. Which is good enough for best among Shooting Gaurds who have played significant minutes in the playoffs. Again it's not world-shattering given that he's performed better in other post-seasons; but it is fairly great considering his shot isn't falling.

If he continues to play the same way, with an appreciable improvement in his shooting percentage and a slight reduction in his turnovers he is poised to have a monster impact in the upcoming series.

Sounds like a minimum wage guy to me.

kaji157
06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Pretty much, look at what other teams are paying for players older and producing worse than Ginobili.
Or look at what we payed for Finley.
Guys asking for the Minium should think about who get the minium. He is a better player than DeColo, Green, Leonard and none of those guys made the minium this year.
I think many here say manu is worth the minium just to bash, typical Parker Only Fan (or POFS) who are so angry that Ginobili gets a pass that cannot enjoy their guy doing good without bashing Manu.
Ginobili is by no means a minium player. His production on court alone commands 4-5 millions a year. More, considering the fanbase.

Manutrix
06-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Pretty much, look at what other teams are paying for players older and producing worse than Ginobili.
Or look at what we payed for Finley.
Guys asking for the Minium should think about who get the minium. He is a better player than DeColo, Green, Leonard and none of those guys made the minium this year.
I think many here say manu is worth the minium just to bash, typical Parker Only Fan (or POFS) who are so angry that Ginobili gets a pass that cannot enjoy their guy doing good without bashing Manu.
Ginobili is by no means a minium player. His production on court alone commands 4-5 millions a year. More, considering the fanbase.

100% THIS. And let us not forget Ginobili was severely, criminally UNDERPAID in his heyday. The first two contracts he signed were a joke. So if anything what he's getting now makes up for it, but not really, he should make more to balance things out perfectly.

ALSO, those who want him to call it quits after this season will not admit it but the truth is they want him to quit altogether and not let him move on to another team because THEY ARE SO SCARED SHITLESS that he might go to another team and experience a Duncan-like resurrection. So these Spurs fans are the worst because they don't have the balls to at least face that fact. You don't want him on your team anymore? Fine, but at least give him the chance to prove you wrong on another team, like you know he can (that's why you want him to retire altogether). Grow some balls!

T Park
06-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Can't put my finger on it, but with all this rest, I just feel like Manu is going to have a vintage Manu series. His shot is not that off on his misses. Maybe it's S&BGLASSES colored glasses, just think he's due.