PDA

View Full Version : Article West is still best and Spurs major part of reason

Rummpd
07-13-2005, 08:37 AM
By Peter Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 13, 2005, 09:30

Bring it On III: The West is Still Best but Gap is Closing!

The Eastern Conference is becoming a beast. Yes I know it was said last year that when a certain Mr. Shaquille O'Neal went to the Miami Heat, the power shifted. There was some truth in that, as Miami under this recent MBA graduate and the indomitable Dwyane Wade, became a true power winning 59 games and taking the Detroit Pistons to the limit in a seven game ECF series (despite Wade's injury).

Meanwhile, the East won the All-Star game, and began to close the gap in inter-league play records. However, only four Eastern teams had winning records versus the Western Conference this past year (the Pistons, Heat, Wizards and the Cavaliers).

However, with stars with names like Wade, Shaq, Pierce, James, Iverson (who had perhaps his best year), B. Wallace (how do you not consider a three time NBA defensive player of the year not a superstar by the way?), Six Man of the Year Gordon, a resurgent Carter/ Kidd combination etc., the East is loaded with talent and better teams.

Then you add in additional talent with names like Dwight Howard, Andrew Bogut, Eddy Curry and seemingly the entire NCAA Championship North Carolina squad, and the East is definitely stronger than two to three years ago! No doubt it will be a tougher conference and very exciting.

However, is the East truly now the proverbial "Bully on the Block"? Perhaps, but probably not, as the West is still darn strong and probably deeper still top to bottom. I believe this will prove true even more so by mid season as we will be better able to sort out the leagues strongest 10 teams.

Most likely still at least half of the top ten teams will remain in the West. San Antonio has the core and system to win multiple more titles, Dallas is now playing defense and has great depth beyond Dirk Nowitzki, the exciting Suns go three all stars and a MVP deep (Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, and of course Steve Nash), the deep Sonics kept Ray Allen but lost a coach in Nate McMillan to Portland, and other teams are still very tough potentially - these include a very talented Denver Nuggets team that surged at the end last year with a revived Carmelo Anthony under George Karl, the Houston Rockets with Jeff Van Gundy the very talented Yao and McGrady duo, and the Sacramento Kings.

Don't especially discount Rick Adelman and the Kings as they had one of the best drafts, posses a most savvy front office, and still have many talented pieces.

Plus there are teams like Utah, Memphis, Golden State, the LA Lakers, and even perhaps the LA Clippers (finally) that can really “make some noise” in the West. In addition, expect Portland to play better with some front office and coaching stability.

The West has also won six titles in the last decade. However, recognizing heartbreaks in Dallas, Sacramento and Portland - the West has truly dominated by just two teams. We have had the steady systematic Spurs and the glamorous and star studded glamorous 2000-2004 Los Angeles Lakers (who may be rebuilding rapidly under Phil Jackson and still have a top five talent, in one Mr. Kobe Bryant).

As such, I simply do not see any East teams winning multiple titles in the next seven years as we wind down "the Tim Duncan Era" but they could well grab 2-3 rings spread among several Eastern teams. That would be an accomplishment as I see the Spurs getting at least two more alone.

The deciding factor to me remains Mr. Duncan. I strongly believe that Mr. Shaquille O’Neill, Mr. Labron James and others non withstanding, that we in the midst of a period dominated by quiet excellence. The ability of Tim Duncan to deliver a title on two bad ankles (and being surrounded now by a solid core of Parker, Ginobli, Horry, Bowen and others) means the rest of the league will have to accept a strong challenge each and every year from the Championship Spurs – who play the game as fundamentally well (albeit free throws aside sometimes) as any team in recent history. With apologies to the still strong Pistons – the Spurs also play the “game the right way” and that is why they will win additional championships in the Duncan era.

In my final opinion (IMO) then the West is still "The Best" as in the end it is all about championships, but the gap is definitely narrowed!

How then will the improved East break out next year?

The Eastern Bloc - Three stout teams can honestly win an NBA championship next year, no questions asked! They are the Indiana Pacers, Pistons and the Heat.

The "Comers" - Four teams that with the right piece and perhaps adding some maturity will be very darn good, i.e., Cleveland, New Jersey Nets, Philadelphia 76'ers (if and only if they keep Samuel Dalembert), and the Chicago Bulls (if they keep Eddy Curry - "size still matters"). One of this pack could surprise and sneak into ECF finals.

"On the Bubble" - A number of teams are "right there" and with time could surprise us even this year. I rank them in sort of a top to bottom order as follows: Milwaukee Bucks and Wizards (hard to predict the Wiz - will they regress without Larry Hughes or pull together?), the enigmatic but talented Boston Celtics, and perhaps the New York Knicks - if they can land another big man quickly. I am also not sure what to make of the Orlando Magic that have a high payroll and a bunch of fine pieces. Personally, I am not convinced that their late season fade was not a sign of things to come and they have changed coaches too often for the stability that young players need and probably want deep down.

For the sake of one Grant Hill, I hope I am wrong on that. I would truly love to see them make the playoffs but in reality he is still one NBA player who "wins" every day he steps on the court both in life and in adding to a legacy.

Please do not forget that Grant Hill so darn good in his early career that he was rightfully seen seen as the "next Jordan"(as James, Bryant, and Wade are now by some - time will tell on all). As for Mr. Hill, he is still a great player for a man that has come back from those terrible injuries. Hats off, Mr. Hill! I am so glad you are playing (and this well) and you truly bring a class element to your team, your conference and the NBA!

You are part again of an Eastern Conference that has become much improved top to bottom and in "star power". Time will tell if you really have the teams and players to challenge the West's Best year in an year out. Bring it on!

Debate me on this and other NBA topics by my e-mail ([email protected]), i.e., BRING IT ON!

News and exclusive editor and superfan/sportsdoc!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onlineseats.com
your #1 source for
NBA Hoop Tickets
Heat Tickets
Suns Tickets
Bulls Tickets
Cleveland Cavs Tickets
all 30 NBA Teams.