PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter..

HarlemHeat37
06-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Earn your money, nigga, tbh..

Miami's great at defending pick&roll ball-handlers, but they can't defend bigs once they catch the ball..

Splitter needs to dominate the pick&roll and he needs to score on every possible opportunity when/if Miami goes small..defensively, he will guard Bosh and he cannot allow him to get in a rhythm, tbh..

jag
06-03-2013, 10:23 PM
It's time for him to spread his wings and fly, tbh. Time for him to make the most of his freedom.

timtonymanu
06-03-2013, 10:23 PM
No soft hook shots in this series, Tiago.

Jumi
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Damn! I was just thinking about that! Our title hopes will rest on Splitter's willingness to not be as soft as Bosh!

TrainOfThought5
06-03-2013, 10:24 PM
If he plays hard, aggressive, and to his potential we can win this in five.

Chinook
06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Most pivotal player in the series. Him playing well forces Miami to play big and puts them at a real disadvantage. I'm interested to see how he handles doubles, though. I hope they throw the ball high to the big to keep the ball away from the smaller defenders.

06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
This is one of the little areas that the Spurs hold an advantage. The Spurs bigs are better than Miami's frontline. If Tiago wants to guarantee his $10 million a year, here's his chance.

benefactor
06-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Most pivotal player in the series. Him playing well forces Miami to play big and puts them at a real disadvantage.
Agreed. A very productive Splitter can cover many other flaws.

barakz21
06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I trust Tiago. Sure, he throws up soft shots, but he's not afraid to mix it up on D. I can live it tbh.

HarlemHeat37
06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I also expect Pop to pull him as soon as he struggles, so it's imperative that he starts off well, tbh..

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I hope Splitter takes advantage of this verticality bullshit.

DAF86
06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
I doubt Pop will play him many minutes. I see him using a lot of small-ball, hope I'm wrong, tbh.

DPG21920
06-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Most pivotal player in the series. Him playing well forces Miami to play big and puts them at a real disadvantage. I'm interested to see how he handles doubles, though. I hope they throw the ball high to the big to keep the ball away from the smaller defenders.

He's a tremendous passer, something Indys bigs are not. Tiago's also a great screener (and roller) something Indys bigs are not. Play your way, Tiago.

DPG21920
06-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Tim has to punish MIA like Hibbert as well, especially offensively. My only question is can Tim give SA the minutes that Hibbert did? MIA is certainly capable and their 2-7 players showed a great glimpse tonight, but MIA will have to play significantly better than they did against Indy to beat SA.

Spurs must rebound, not turn it over and the fact they have a competent ball handler/scorer for a pg will be a world of difference.

TP will be huge this series for SA. He has to play at the MEM level. MIA can't play SA like they did INDY in game 7 (which is how SA played MEM). Spurs actually have shooters. Here's to them making the good looks they do see.

freetiago
06-03-2013, 10:37 PM
this is where Popobitch coaching mistakes will come back to haunt him
reluctance to play Splitter and give him any offensive responsibilties and basically the same with Leonard mostly regarding post up opportunities
they will be putting a smaller guard like Allen on Leonard and they will want to go small with their main guys

I actually think Diaw can be more important then Splitter in this type of series
Splitter defensively and his rebounding has been solid vs Miami
but Diaw posting up Battier in the bench matchup and his ability to run offense in a 4v3 situation after Parker gets trapped will be huge
it basically won the Clipper series last year tbh..

06-03-2013, 10:41 PM
6'8 Haslen is either going to guard Duncan or Splitter. Whoever Haslem guards needs to take maximum advantage.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Heat will trap TP on pnr's so tiago's gotta be ready at the freethrow line looking for the pass than drive and kick out to an open shooter or take the layup. And please no soft layups gotta be strong my nig.

Believe

TD 21
06-03-2013, 10:43 PM

Agreed . . . except for the part about the doubles. There's not going to be any; not against him, at least. But still, if he can punish them on the roll and on the occasional post up/put back and keep them from thinking they can hide Battier on him for extended minutes (preferably at all; but that's not going to happen) and his rebounding progresses to his mean, he'll have done his job.

Pop has to resist the urge to rely too heavily on the Parker-Ginobili-Green-Leonard-Duncan, lineup. For obvious reasons, I know he likes it and I know they'll be plenty of opportunity to use it in this match-up, but extensive use of it is, as you alluded to, playing right into their hands.

John B
06-03-2013, 10:44 PM
In Tiago we trust. He needs to help clog the middle and don't let Birdman get offensive rebounds. He guarded tougher bigmen in Dwight/Gasol and Zbo/Marc. If Spurs control the boards and prevent fastbreaks, the Spurs have a very good chance to win in 4 or 5. Go Spurs Go!

siraulo23
06-03-2013, 10:44 PM
diaw/splitter cant let bosh hit that mid range js

bonner will obviously leave him wide open, thats a given

BatManu20
06-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Miami will take the PnR away from SA, and we'll struggle, just like OKC did with us last year. Unless they find a way to combat it, it could get ugly.

DPG21920
06-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Miami will take the PnR away from SA, and we'll struggle, just like OKC did with us last year. Unless they find a way to combat it, it could get ugly.

Indy barely ran PnR and still were in most games. If you defend, rebound and take care of the ball you can be in it. Spurs, even without PnR, still have more shooters, better ball handlers and more clutch players than Indy. PnR will be huge, but TP has to be a stud regardless for SA to have a great shot.

Spursfanfromafar
06-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Disagree that Splitter is key. The Heat will try to rotate and swarm the big man when he receives the pass. The most key player for the Spurs this series is going to be our Whi-Whi Leonard.

Leonard will be tasked with stopping Lebron or atleast slowing him down and to take shots when they are going to present themselves as Duncan/ Splitter hit the open man on being doubled up.

BatManu20
06-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Indy barely ran PnR and still were in most games. If you defend, rebound and take care of the ball you can be in it. Spurs, even without PnR, still have more shooters, better ball handlers and more clutch players than Indy. PnR will be huge, but TP has to be a stud regardless for SA to have a great shot.

That will be the key. If Manu starts throwing the ball away left and right, it will be lay up lines for miami. If we really cut down on the TO's and rebound, we'll keep ourselves in it.

DPG21920
06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Put Kawhi on Wade. If Wade is not 100%, you have a chance to really make life tough on him. Put Kawhi on Wade and limit him as much as possible. Rotate Manu/Green/Boris on Lebron and hope that Tiago/Tim do enough to discourage him from driving so the size difference is not prevalent.

Chinook
06-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Agreed . . . except for the part about the doubles. There's not going to be any; not against him, at least. But still, if he can punish them on the roll and on the occasional post up/put back and keep them from thinking they can hide Battier on him for extended minutes (preferably at all; but that's not going to happen) and his rebounding progresses to his mean, he'll have done his job.

Pop has to resist the urge to rely too heavily on the Parker-Ginobili-Green-Leonard-Duncan, lineup. For obvious reasons, I know he likes it and I know they'll be plenty of opportunity to use it in this match-up, but extensive use of it is, as you alluded to, playing right into their hands.

I think the Heat will double both starting bigs. Splitter is better off the PnR than West is, and if they can't stop Parker's passing, they'll have to double on the catch like they did tonight. I trust Splitter's passing, but it's hard to handle that type of doubling unless you expect it.

I understand your point about small ball. I think it'd be a bigger issue if Jack were still on the team. I think Diaw will be on James when Leonard isn't now. In the very least, Diaw should be pretty good at guarding Battier or Miller, allowing the Spurs to remain big when Miami goes small.

Strategic
06-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I also expect Pop to pull him as soon as he struggles, so it's imperative that he starts off well, tbh..If TD, TP or MG error they will get unlimited chances. If TS, DG or KL error they will get pulled. This series will hinge on Pop's knees. Will they be strong or weak?

cjw
06-03-2013, 11:04 PM
diaw/splitter cant let bosh hit that mid range js

bonner will obviously leave him wide open, thats a given

Bonner will be absolutely useless this series - last series, he forced Z-Bo out to the perimeter while playing serviceable D. All the Heat have to do is throw Lebron at the 4 and let a Mike Miller or Battier sit on Bonner. Though Kawhi can then guard Lebron at the 4 instead of the three.

TD 21
06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I think the Heat will double both starting bigs. Splitter is better off the PnR than West is, and if they can't stop Parker's passing, they'll have to double on the catch like they did tonight. I trust Splitter's passing, but it's hard to handle that type of doubling unless you expect it.

I understand your point about small ball. I think it'd be a bigger issue if Jack were still on the team. I think Diaw will be on James when Leonard isn't now. In the very least, Diaw should be pretty good at guarding Battier or Miller, allowing the Spurs to remain big when Miami goes small.

Even if, outside of Green and to a lesser extent Bonner, it has been mostly shaky for months now, the Spurs three-point shooting is too respected for them to double the roll man, particularly at the start. And in the post, forget about it. Expect Bosh, who's the exact same size and strength as Splitter, to guard him straight up. I expect them to start out half doubling Duncan. If he punishes Haslem early and often, some form of a full on double is coming.

Diaw needs to punish Battier in the post the same way he did Green. The Spurs can't allow the Heat to get away with Battier on either him nor Splitter. I know the Heat will attempt to, though.

ducks
06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
splitter can top 12 million a year if he plays big this series
tp is a lock for finals mvp though

benefactor
06-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Like DPG said, Splitter is a great passer, Duncan and Diaw too, tbh..

The Spurs bigs can punish Miami's aggressiveness, while Hibbert and West are horrible passers..

I'm worried that Pop will go to Bonner early, though..
The good thing is that save a couple of instances in that Memphis series, Pop has shown that he will use the hook on Bonner if he is not playing well. I don't mind giving Bonner a look. Hell...no one could have predicted the type of post season he has had.

Chinook
06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Like DPG said, Splitter is a great passer, Duncan and Diaw too, tbh..

The Spurs bigs can punish Miami's aggressiveness, while Hibbert and West are horrible passers..

I'm worried that Pop will go to Bonner early, though..

I know Splitter's a great passer. I was just concerned with the pressure getting to him. It's just like how the Heat ball pressure will be much less effective against Parker than it was against Hill.

I agree about Bonner. He adds almost nothing to the lineup than Diaw or small-ball would unless he plays like he did against the Lakers. With Miami's lack of a post threat (and especially one as easy to outwit as Howard), Bonner's just a slow guard out there.

Chinook
06-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Even if, outside of Green and to a lesser extent Bonner, it has been mostly shaky for months now, the Spurs three-point shooting is too respected for them to double the roll man, particularly at the start. And in the post, forget about it. Expect Bosh, who's the exact same size and strength as Splitter, to guard him straight up. I expect them to start out half doubling Duncan. If he punishes Haslem early and often, some form of a full on double is coming.

Diaw needs to punish Battier in the post the same way he did Green. The Spurs can't allow the Heat to get away with Battier on either him nor Splitter. I know the Heat will attempt to, though.

I think the Heat trust their speed and defensive rotations enough to double off everyone and then recover in time. Green and Leonard will probably have to hit some mildly contested threes to prevent them from doing so. I don't think Miami would double Splitter in the post unless he starts beating his man there. But I think they could double off Splitter's roll, since he's one of the most dangerous bigs in that situation in the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spoelstra go with Birdman on Duncan before doubling.

I agree with you on Diaw. An aggressive Diaw is still a tremendously hard player to guard. I think he could draw James if he beats Battier enough, which is only a good thing for the Spurs.

TD 21
06-03-2013, 11:31 PM
I think the Heat trust their speed and defensive rotations enough to double off everyone and then recover in time. Green and Leonard will probably have to hit some mildly contested threes to prevent them from doing so. I don't think Miami would double Splitter in the post unless he starts beating his man there. But I think they could double off Splitter's roll, since he's one of the most dangerous bigs in that situation in the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spoelstra go with Birdman on Duncan before doubling.

I agree with you on Diaw. An aggressive Diaw is still a tremendously hard player to guard. I think he could draw James if he beats Battier enough, which is only a good thing for the Spurs.

Granted, they'll play one game between now and Sunday, but the Heat are probably running on fumes and as you saw tonight, it takes a lot out of them to play their best defense, which is why they save it for when it's really needed. I know this is the Finals, but still; that level of every possession intensity for 6 or 7 games is damn near impossible. Plus, they needed to tweak a few things to attempt to knock the Pacers out of their rhythm and shake their confidence.

As far as Andersen on Duncan, he lacks the base strength to defend him straight up. You may well be right, in that they'll start off playing him straight up in that match-up, though.

Something I realized watching this series: When the Heat tried to go with the three guard + James lineup, the Pacers shockingly got away with West on Allen (I realize they have no bench/versatility, so they had to at least try it, but still). If he could pull if off, then I see no reason why Splitter couldn't. I know Splitter isn't going to play 40 mpg, I just don't want Pop to let them dictate the terms.

Chinook
06-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Granted, they'll play one game between now and Sunday, but the Heat are probably running on fumes and as you saw tonight, it takes a lot out of them to play their best defense, which is why they save it for when it's really needed. I know this is the Finals, but still; that level of every possession intensity for 6 or 7 games is damn near impossible. Plus, they needed to tweak a few things to attempt to knock the Pacers out of their rhythm and shake their confidence.

As far as Andersen on Duncan, he lacks the base strength to defend him straight up. You may well be right, in that they'll start off playing him straight up in that match-up, though.

Something I realized watching this series: When the Heat tried to go with the three guard + James lineup, the Pacers shockingly got away with West on Allen (I realize they have no bench/versatility, so they had to at least try it, but still). If he could pull if off, then I see no reason why Splitter couldn't. I know Splitter isn't going to play 40 mpg, I just don't want Pop to let them dictate the terms.

The Spurs also play a lot faster than Indiana does. If Miami struggles to lock down a team for a whole game, imagine how it would be when everyone is constantly running off screens.

If Miami loses the match-up battle like they did against the Pacers, the Spurs should win. The Spurs' bigs are much harder to defend because they can all pass and everyone except Splitter than hit from mid-range. If the Heat can't force Splitter to the bench, they'll be in for a lot of foul trouble.

TD 21
06-03-2013, 11:42 PM
The Spurs also play a lot faster than Indiana does. If Miami struggles to lock down a team for a whole game, imagine how it would be when everyone is constantly running off screens.

If Miami loses the match-up battle like they did against the Pacers, the Spurs should win. The Spurs' bigs are much harder to defend because they can all pass and everyone except Splitter than hit from mid-range. If the Heat can't force Splitter to the bench, they'll be in for a lot of foul trouble.

As I alluded to, I'm not worried about the Heat forcing Splitter to the bench from a match-up perspective (foul trouble is a different story), I'm worried about Pop forcing Splitter to the bench and doing his usual match the other team immediately nonsense. You've got to at least attempt to dictate the terms first. If it's apparent that's not going to work, then you adjust, like the Heat did with Battier's minutes as the series wore on.

freetiago
06-03-2013, 11:51 PM
If Bonner sets the pick and hits his 3s hell get coming off a simple Manu/Tony trap then Miami would be reluctant to keep trapping
he definitely has value
but its a huge if as always but Bon Bon is having his best shooting post season of all time
only way Miami could counter that is too switch the pick and rolls since they have no interior defense
i doubt Lebron would be guarding Bonner so they have no good defenders to switch onto Tony

all of our bigs have value in this series really except Baynes
if Blair still has some ability to rebound his pick and roll ability would be useful

mercos
06-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Miami has had a lot of success against the Spurs with their aggressive double teaming. That could be a HUGE problem in game 1, as the Spurs are likely to be very rusty. As the series goes on, I think the Spurs can adjust and pick Miami apart. I just hope it doesn't take 2 or 3 games to shake the rust off. I don't think the Spurs can afford to fall behind 2-0 in this series, even with the 2-3-2 format. They need at least one of the first two in Miami.

crc21209
06-04-2013, 12:39 AM
I agree, Tiago's play in this series is going to be key. He is one of the best passing big men in the game, and if he can keep his cool and find the open shooters, they should be fine. I think the pick and roll with Manu and Tiago should be huge in this series. Run pick and roll with those two and shooters out on the 3 point line and see how Miami handles it...

spurraider21
06-04-2013, 01:52 AM
their lack of rim protection has to be the area we expose. thats what indiana did. they struggled because their offense was so damn inept. by the time they brought the ball upcourt, the shot clock would be down to about 17 seconds, and it looked like the guard with the ball would just stare down whoever was in the post, and there was no movement. no off-ball motion, the ball handler would just sit there and stare at the guy in the post being fronted. by the time they actually got some offense going, the shot clock would be down to 7-8 seconds and they would have to rush shots, and they had a ton of shot clock violations throughout the series. when they got into their offense earlier, or ran the pick and roll to clear space for hibbert, it worked wonders for them.

we typically run the pick and roll to free TP, but with the way Miami plays the PnR, we are going to have to have splitter and duncan roll hard to the rim and finish down low, while getting into our offense early so we can still hit our 2nd and 3rd options. defensively, we're going to give up some plays. they are going to space out our bigs the best they can, and lebron will do his thing. the best defense is a careful offense, as in no turnovers. when you start stringing turnovers, thats when miami really pulls away. we got away with it against memphis in game 3, but miami won't let us come back nearly as easily as memphis did. just limit turnovers and force them to play half court offense. they will still score plenty, but they are the miami heat. that will happen

hater
06-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Diaw might be more useful vs the Heat tbh

in2deep
06-04-2013, 09:31 PM
he might get bullied by Andersen

but I hope he plays smart and not scared. He has championship experience in Europe so I am confident he'll be ok

Baam
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Minimum or bust this offseason tbh.

caŽlo
06-06-2013, 10:53 PM
loved his post up against lebron! gotta love the elbow swinging too and then splash!!!

freetiago
06-06-2013, 11:05 PM
he held down the fort decently against Miamis starters with Bonner as his frontcourt guy
he actually had really good defensive plays vs Bosh and his verticality protecting the rim was huge
but unfourtanetely Bonner didnt even attempt to boxout anyone and Birdman would get tips

Hemotivo
06-06-2013, 11:22 PM
really a good game for Thiago tonite

pgardn
06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
No jumper, no comparison to West on offense.

The post against Bosh was as isolated as it gets, and it was a pure crap shot.
The post on Lebron was nice, but damn he makes easy shots look difficult.

It would be so nice to be able to use him against the MiAmi small lineup at the end of games. I hope he gets the chance in game two.

T Park
06-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Solid game from Tiago. Can play better and maybe does in game 2.

tuncaboylu
06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
He played very solid defense tonight.

Well done Tiago.

HarlemHeat37
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Horrible, embarrassing series for Splitter, tbh..

Just earn your money for one night, nigga..one night..

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Horrible, embarrassing series for Splitter, tbh..

Just earn your money for one night, nigga..one night..

Yeah, I want Splitter to earn his contract tonight.
And then Ferry can pay it in July

playblair
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
^wont happen ............. splitter = broken .................. blair would dominate battier ..................

Mugen
06-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Seriously, just 10 fucking minutes where he's not a complete pussy. He's already cost himself about 20mil so far this series. He can make up a significant chunk of that back with just one testicle descending tonight tbh. Just fucking one.

ace3g
06-20-2013, 01:50 PM
^wont happen ............. splitter = broken .................. blair would dominate battier ..................

Jeff McDonald @JMcDonald_SAEN
(http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)To those calling for DeJuan Blair or others ... Pop said don't expect any new additions to rotation unless "there's disaster at hand."

(http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)Pop: "At this point, to throw somebody in there who hasn't had much minutes or done much probably wouldn't happen."

playblair
06-20-2013, 01:57 PM
^ http://i.minus.com/igPgUBl9hb6dh.gif

playblair
06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
stephen a smith agrees blair should be ahead of splitter in rotation ..................

MannyIsGod
06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't understand how someone so big and so tall can play so small. I'm 5'10" and i LOVED playing down low. I wish I would have had a 7 foot frame to dominate the paint. This motherfucker just infuriates me.

I honestly get irrationally pissed off when I see him post up. Splitter post ups are wasted possessions 95% of the god damn time. I have hope for Manu. I have NO hope for this fool. None.

RD2191
06-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Splitter reminds me of kmart, he shoots from his hip. Lol

Dingle Barry
06-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't understand how someone so big and so tall can play so small. I'm 5'10" and i LOVED playing down low. I wish I would have had a 7 foot frame to dominate the paint. This motherfucker just infuriates me.

I honestly get irrationally pissed off when I see him post up. Splitter post ups are wasted possessions 95% of the god damn time. I have hope for Manu. I have NO hope for this fool. None.

+1. Dude is a complete fucking waste of a 7 foot long skeleton.

Spurs Brazil
06-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I hope he can play well tonight but I don't want to see him next year

ElNono
06-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Everybody else showed up at least for one game... time to earn your keep...

biskvito
06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
I wish Splitter had gone to another team so you would be gone fishing since the Grizzlies series.

therealtruth
06-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I wish Splitter had gone to another team so you would be gone fishing since the Grizzlies series.

Exactly. Spoelstra going small is a brilliant move. He forced the Spurs to stop playing one of their best defenders. People are already forgetting how he forced Conley to miss the game winner in the Grizzlies series.

Baam
06-20-2013, 07:48 PM
(http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)To those calling for DeJuan Blair or others ... Pop said don't expect any new additions to rotation unless "there's disaster at hand."

(http://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN)Pop: "At this point, to throw somebody in there who hasn't had much minutes or done much probably wouldn't happen."

Bad news, this means heavy minutes for the TOSB Ginobili and imo it's just bad strategy.