PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard's quiet drive

ace3g
06-04-2013, 02:22 PM
You pronounce San Antonio Spurs star Kawhi Leonard's first name "Kuh-why." And yet Leonard refuses to make "why" a part of his life anymore.

Why was his dad murdered that Friday night five years ago at the Compton, Calif., car wash he owned?

Why has no one been arrested?

Why has not even one witness cooperated with the police?

"Man, I just try not to think about it," says the 6-foot-7 Leonard, who was 16 when his dad was shot and killed. "It was in L.A. Murders happen out there and nobody ever finds out. It is what it is, I guess."

It's a shame, because Mark Leonard would love to see what a wondrous baller his son turned out to be. Kawhi plays nastier defense than a pawn-shop dog. His motor is limitless. He's become a bankable 3-point corner shooter, in the classic Spurs style. And he's one of the big reasons the Spurs are in the NBA Finals, beginning Thursday in Miami, where he'll guard LeBron James himself.

"Oh, my, Mark would be so proud right now," says Leonard's mom and Mark's ex-wife, Kim Robertson. "He'd be like, 'Wow! My son is in the NBA Finals? I just can't believe it!'"

And why wouldn't he? Much of Kawhi is Mark himself. It was Mark who gave Kawhi that unique name. ("He said he wanted something that sounded Hawaiian," Kawhi says.) He taught him his shot. He'd run him up hills in the summer to get in shape. He stayed on him about his grades. He fueled Kawhi's unquenchable work ethic. If the car Kawhi was hand-washing didn't turn out clean enough to eat spaghetti off of, his dad would make him do it again.

continue: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9341509/kawhi-leonard

Spur|n|Austin
06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Proud to have him in a Spurs jersey, and hopefully for a long time. Now it's time to see how he reflects the bright lights come Thursday.

hater
06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
He said he wanted something that sounded Hawaiian

that's why I call him Kawhi 5-0

:tu :tu :tu

I. Hustle
06-04-2013, 02:34 PM
http://markemcwilliams.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/spaghetti_car_small.jpg

nickdaquick
06-04-2013, 02:35 PM
What a great story. Hopefully Kawhi's knees will hold up so he can show the world how good he is.

Creation88
06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
good read but i could have done without Reilly's terrible metaphors and anecdotes. the Porsche/Malibu story is the best.

bthewigwam
06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
lol nice pic of spaghetti on car.

damn man that was a great article. type of player and person i'd root for even if he wasn't on the Spurs.

Dirtywhisk
06-04-2013, 02:37 PM
:(

I. Hustle
06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
After reading that... I want to have his babies. (no homo)

Spur|n|Austin
06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Kawhi is my fiance's 2nd favorite Spur and always says she wants to just give him a big hug. He definitely has some pain behind his eyes, and it's understandable why.

moisaenz
06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Wow "he still drives the malibu more" ... hahaha has a porsche and drives a malibu. That how "Spurs roll".

pikkiwoki
06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
:cry

kind of depressing

davidbowie
06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
great read

love this cornrowed fool. but yeah Reilly sucks

I. Hustle
06-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Kawhi is my fiance's 2nd favorite Spur and always says she wants to just give him a big hug with her vagina. He definitely has some pain behind his eyes, and it's understandable why.

fify

Robz4000
06-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm so proud to have this guy on the team. Really hope he goes out there and leaves it all on the court in the Finals, maybe even winning a ring in the process.

Aztecfan03
06-04-2013, 05:09 PM

From NBA: You are fined $75,000

tesseractive
06-04-2013, 05:14 PM
good read but i could have done without Reilly's terrible metaphors and anecdotes.
Reilly used to be the best sportswriter alive once upon a time. It's pretty clear now just how far behind him those days are.

FlAVaK
06-04-2013, 05:25 PM
If the car Kawhi was hand-washing didn't turn out clean enough to eat spaghetti off of, his dad would make him do it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PycZtfns_U

capek
06-04-2013, 05:40 PM

Get in line. :ihit

:lol

Anyways, I'll admit that after I heard sometime last year about the tragedy involving his father, and having observed how singularly focused he is, I worried that he was going the workaholic route to avoid dealing with this loss. I worried that there could potentially be a breakdown in his future if that were the case. But the more I learn of him, it seems like this is just his personality; his work ethic might well be one of the ways he pays tribute to his father's memory. Like all Spurs fans I feel quite privileged to be able to watch him progress first hand, with "my" team benefiting, and just hope that he has some peace of mind off the court.

LoneStarState'sPride
06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
How can you NOT like this kid?

spursfan09
06-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Wow didn't know that. You can see his pain. I hope he has learned to cope and move on and not let it eat at him

barakz21
06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
He's quickly becoming my #3 favorite Spur, next to TD and TP, and overtaking Manu.

jermaine
06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
This is the guy the NBA should be promoting. Hard work, selflessness , respectable, don't try to bling everything out, just a flat out good guy man. He is really a rare black young man. I hope we win for Leonard an Timmy man. God needs to look down on that boy.

DMC
06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
You pronounce San Antonio Spurs star Kawhi Leonard's first name "Kuh-why." And yet Leonard refuses to make "why" a part of his life anymore.

Why was his dad murdered that Friday night five years ago at the Compton, Calif., car wash he owned?

Why has no one been arrested?

Why has not even one witness cooperated with the police?

"Man, I just try not to think about it," says the 6-foot-7 Leonard, who was 16 when his dad was shot and killed. "It was in L.A. Murders happen out there and nobody ever finds out. It is what it is, I guess."

It's a shame, because Mark Leonard would love to see what a wondrous baller his son turned out to be. Kawhi plays nastier defense than a pawn-shop dog. His motor is limitless. He's become a bankable 3-point corner shooter, in the classic Spurs style. And he's one of the big reasons the Spurs are in the NBA Finals, beginning Thursday in Miami, where he'll guard LeBron James himself.

"Oh, my, Mark would be so proud right now," says Leonard's mom and Mark's ex-wife, Kim Robertson. "He'd be like, 'Wow! My son is in the NBA Finals? I just can't believe it!'"

And why wouldn't he? Much of Kawhi is Mark himself. It was Mark who gave Kawhi that unique name. ("He said he wanted something that sounded Hawaiian," Kawhi says.) He taught him his shot. He'd run him up hills in the summer to get in shape. He stayed on him about his grades. He fueled Kawhi's unquenchable work ethic. If the car Kawhi was hand-washing didn't turn out clean enough to eat spaghetti off of, his dad would make him do it again.

continue: http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9341509/kawhi-leonard

Why does every black athlete have a family crisis story almost exactly like that? It gets to the point of making viewers numb to it.

Btw, by reading the story I'd suspect Kawhi did it himself.

eyeh8u
06-04-2013, 08:09 PM
KL's story is interesting, the writer's corny style is not.

Budkin
06-04-2013, 08:09 PM
A Spur through and through. What a find. I feel so bad for him about his Dad. I lost my dad too and it still hurts like a bitch. I think he's going to make him even more proud in the Finals.

Captivus
06-04-2013, 08:43 PM
This is the guy the NBA should be promoting. Hard work, selflessness , respectable, don't try to bling everything out, just a flat out good guy man.

That makes too much sense...DENIED!

DarrinS
06-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Love this kid, no homo

playblair
06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
This is the guy the NBA should be promoting. Hard work, selflessness , respectable, don't try to bling everything out, just a flat out good guy man. He is really a rare black young man. I hope we win for Leonard an Timmy man. God needs to look down on that boy.

JOFyCc0k_hI

SenorSpur
06-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Great kid. Great story.

You can certainly sense the pain in his eyes and through demeanor. However, he's got a band of brothers now and full family support now that he's in the protective cocoon of the Spurs organization.

I hope destiny smiles upon him because he is on track for a bright future as a eventual star player for the Spurs.

pgardn
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Like all Spurs fans I feel quite privileged to be able to watch him progress first hand, with "my" team benefiting, and just hope that he has some peace of mind off the court.

I wish I had typed this.

perfectly stated...

DarrinS
06-04-2013, 09:16 PM
JOFyCc0k_hI

Watched it 3 times

scramby eggs
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Great article. Alot better than any story SDC could come up with. That guy is terrible

SupremeGuy
06-04-2013, 09:20 PM
After reading that... I want to have his babies. (no homo)After reading that.... I want to have this babies (yes homo) :hitit:

YoMamaIsCallin
06-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I, an old upper middle class white guy, am a huge Kawhi Leonard fan. If he was 5-9 with short arms he'd still have a good life somewhere. What a great kid. We're fortunate to see him express himself on the basketball stage. He's in the place he was meant to be.