PDA

View Full Version : All T-Mac jokes aside, we need him to take Bonner or Neal minutes to have a chance.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Hey what's up my fellow Spurs fans? I tried to be able to post on here months ago, and I FINALLY got my account validated today.

Something I've noticed on these boards (other than the constant emo threads about the Spurs :lol) is that many people do not believe McGrady is ready to take up valuable minutes in the playoffs. I just wanted to direct why I believe he needs minutes for the Heat series.

1) Leonard is going to be TIRED. Although he is still very young, guarding LeBron is a tall task. Although George played very well against him, his game five and seven show that when LeBron is playing hard (and well), it is very exhausting. Due to that, he shot very poorly from the field. We need Leonard to produce in this series to be able to beat the Heat. Obviously Neal is too small to guard LeBron, and I fear that Popovich may try Bonner on James when Leonard needs a rest (Green will be stuck on Wade), which brings me to my next point.

2) Bonner and Neal SUCK on defense. Seriously, how can people validate their performances due to one hot night for Bonner (against the Grizzlies). He has played HORRIBLE. To the point where I'm wondering what the fuck he's doing. He's literally not playing any defense. And I swear if I have to see Neal playing off on a three point shooter again (which the Heat can shoot well) I'm going to shoot myself. Neal is injured and obviously doesn't have the stroke he had earlier in the series, and Bonner "spreading the court" will be ineffective against Bosh due to Bosh primarily playing around the perimeter.

3) T-Mac can still ball. One thing I've worried about was T-Mac throwing up shots (like he used to do). But now that his knees are weaker, he has allocated to more of a point guard-type roll (as shown in his stints with the Knicks, Hawks, and Spurs). People like to bring up him being "lazy" (jogging up and down court), but to me that shows people never watched him playing in the late 2000's. That's how he is. He's shown in the Golden State series primarily that he has bursts and speed. A lot of criticism lies that he only averaged 5 points a game with the Hawks last year. But, again, his play overall was astounding and he took very minimum shots (including a couple of huge performances). T-Mac might be older, but he can still shoot. He can still pass, and even as a shell of his former self, he is way better than Bonner, Neal, or anyone else on the bench for that matter (with the exception of Manu). This is a guy that has the same frame as LeBron (James was often referred to as the next McGrady when he was coming into the league), and has low-risk (because theres NO WAY HE CAN PLAY WORSE THAN NEAL/BONNER) AND he can still drop 20 points in a "on" game (do you really think he's incapable).

Seriously, consider it. It's probably not going to happen (although Pop has been known to bring anyone in a conference finals game). I simply don't understand the hate on here for him because even in "garbage minutes" he has outplayed Bonner and Neal ESPECIALLY on defense (maybe not so much offense but I'd trust him WAY more).

Thoughts?

Also, Spurs in 6!

hater
06-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Bonner will get plenty burn in this series

Blair, probably not because he'd get shit on by a real NBA caliber player like Haslem

Neal also will get burn. He played great in Miami this year

Seventyniner
06-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Blair will be more useful than Bonner in this series.

I mean, 0.000001 is greater than 0.0000005, right?

Budkin
06-04-2013, 04:44 PM
If he didn't play in any of the other series, why would you think Pop would play him in the most important series of all? We got him for insurance.

coyotes_geek
Tmac will get exactly zero non-garbage time minutes in this series.

Spurs and Mavs fan
I simply don't think McGrady has been integrated with this team long enough to truly play effectively with the other Spurs. The Big 3, for instance, have played as teammates for a decade or so, while Leonard, etc. have been around for over a year. McGrady would probably be the one committing lots of mistakes just due to being familiar with the Spurs system like everyone else is.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see McGrady score 25 points a game in the Finals and win a championship ring in emphatic fashion. But I just think that the Spurs' system takes a long, long time to truly get used to and become part of.

CosmicCowboy
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
I am confident that if Pop thought he would help them win he would play him. There is a reason T-Mac couldn't get a single NBA gig with even a bottom dweller before the Spurs picked him up.

silverblk mystix
06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
One can dream ...right?

Take all of Bonners minutes and have Blair get some too.

Raven
06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
the tmac hype is really annoying. The dude is not a professional player anymore, just face it and get over with it.

Darius McCrary
06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
He is a better ball handler and passer than Neal, and Neal's shot has been broken most of this year. I don't see how Tracy could possibly be worse than Neal .

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
Neal and Bonner are solely spot up three point shooters who have been shooting horribly. On defense, Bonner literally picks up five fouls in fifteen minutes of play. That is unacceptable. I'm telling you, Bonner on Bosh is going to get Bosh into rhythm, as will Neal on Allen/Cole/Chalmers. What we DON'T need is their role players getting hot.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
the tmac hype is really annoying. The dude is not a professional player anymore, just face it and get over with it.

Uh, are you serious? The guy is on the championship team and averaged 22 points in the China league. It may not be the NBA, but you have no proof he "can't play". You're just basing it off of him not getting much time.

Darius McCrary
06-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Tracy also has the height and length to pass over Miami's BS trapping defense. Neal will be eaten alive.

Vic Petro
06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Neal and Bonner are solely spot up three point shooters who have been shooting horribly. On defense, Bonner literally picks up five fouls in fifteen minutes of play. That is unacceptable. I'm telling you, Bonner on Bosh is going to get Bosh into rhythm, as will Neal on Allen/Cole/Chalmers. What we DON'T need is their role players getting hot.

Bonner 14/28 shooting 50% from distance in the playoffs

CubanMustGo
06-04-2013, 04:52 PM
T-Mac 0-fer-the-season.

'nuf said.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Bonner 14/28 shooting 50% from distance in the playoffs

I'll give you that. But add up his tally post the Lakers series and you'll see he is slowly regressing back to the old Bonner. And quite frankly, I think his defense negates his offense completely.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Any time the Spurs are holding a 20-point lead in the second half, I'd be fine with McGrady playing.

Otherwise, no.

tesseractive
06-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I'll give you that. But add up his tally post the Lakers series and you'll see he is slowly regressing back to the old Bonner. And quite frankly, I think his defense negates his offense completely.
He was a poor matchup vs. Golden State and didn't do much good, but he did fine against Memphis.

I have no problem with Pop trotting him out a little to see how he does. But there's a good chance he's going to get owned out there, and Pop will have to try to play him the absolute minimum he can get away with.

Neal may be able to get away with a few spot minutes "guarding" Chalmers or Cole without hurting us much. It can't be while TP is on the floor, and depends on Cory being able to guard one of the Heat wings on the floor at the time. But even then, his injuries have clearly limited his offensive usefulness, so you'd never want to play him more than you had to.

Cory scares me too, tbh. I mean, he's been great during this playoff run, but this is the Finals, and it's against the defending champs. He'll have to prove he belongs on the floor.

Regardless, T-Mac is a solution of absolute last resort. I mean, I'd love to send him out on the floor and discover he's solid on both ends of the court, but the odds on that are really long. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have Bonner's defense than T-Mac's.

Aztecfan03
06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
put idc, because we won't need him. Don't think he is washed up, but we should have played him in the easier series if we wanted him to play in this one.

Austin_Toros
06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
These playoffs, Neal has either given the team nothing or has been terrible out there. I doubt Pop will increase T-Mac's minutes this series, but if Neal continues to play like a D-League player out there I don't see the harm in giving Neal's minutes to T-Mac. Worst case scenario T-Mac plays below average defence and becomes a chucker in which case he is no worse than Neal.

Raven
06-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Uh, are you serious? The guy is on the championship team and averaged 22 points in the China league. It may not be the NBA, but you have no proof he "can't play". You're just basing it off of him not getting much time.

you forgot to mention that his team was last in the standings.

DarrinS
06-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Any time the Spurs are holding a 20-point lead in the second half, I'd be fine with McGrady playing.

Otherwise, no.

this

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-04-2013, 05:46 PM
not sure what you are talking about Bonner not playing good D. He played good but not great D against the Lakers and Griz. Bonner plays good D against strong Physical post players, he has problems against players that shoot jumpers and attack the rim.

He's been getting bullied by every post up player. He wraps the player up, refuses to hustle or go for a rebound. He does better against "shooting" big men. Howard, Bogut, Landry and Randolph all bullied him.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Did you watch the WCF at all.

I watched every single game.

Dex
06-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Career 3PT%: .417
2012-2013 3PT%: .442

3PT% post the Lakers series: .400 (8/20)

I'm a known Bonner hater, but if shooting 40% from 3 is him "regressing", I'll take it. Especially since the lane has been noticeably more open whenever he is on the floor, and his defense has not been as bad as you describe.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Did you even watch any of the playoffs.

I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. I watch every single player playing. Randolph pulled more rebounds than Duncan and Splitter in every games (like 14-16 in a few of them). Bonner has no post defense, no rebounding ability. He literally wraps them up. Count up how many games he's had 4-5 fouls in 15-20 minutes playing.

spurs4legacy
06-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Mcgrady for the win! He can still do it, he could be effective on the bench but he could be more effective on the court. We know that he just wants to win just like all of us on the board. go spurs, bring home the win! spurs4legacy

therealtruth
06-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Bonner needs limited minutes to be effective. Within those limited minutes he can't pace himself. He has to go all out.

Gagnrath
06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Bonner has had a good play-offs I can see him being useful, Haslem is someone he can guard and he can be effective against birdman as long as we have strong rebounder on the floor with him.

I see T-Mac as a back-up SF to guard LeBron limited minutes for Kawhi to get a breather if absolutely required.

Indazone
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqrfDz0iEA

jpgrfdzoiea

vU849O16soA

I dunno, I dug up his highlights when he played in China. Still look like he got it to me. I can see why Pop picked him up. But that said, you go with the team that got you to where you are. Granted he's not posterizing Shawn Bradley anymore but if T-Mac plays like this next year, damn! He's more suited for the point guard position now. His court vision is unbelievable and he'd be a mismatch for anyone else at guard. JVG did use T-Mac a lot at the guard position while he was in Houston.

AchillesHeel
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
T-Mac is still a decent player, tbh. It was only about a year and a half ago when he owned Lebron on his home court, tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obPECO7PZ6o

moisaenz
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I dunno, I dug up his highlights when he played in China. Still look like he got it to me. I can see why Pop picked him up. But that said, you go with the team that got you to where you are. Granted he's not posterizing Shawn Bradley anymore but if T-Mac plays like this next year, damn! He's more suited for the point guard position now. His court vision is unbelievable and he'd be a mismatch for anyone else at guard. JVG did use T-Mac a lot at the guard position while he was in Houston.

The team he played with was horrible. The only reasons pop would play tmac would be if he saw something in him during practice or neal suddenly collapses.

Jumi
06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
He's had time to get up to speed with a few things during the layoff. Who knows, Pop might see something we don't. If not, pray Neal can come through for us.

Indazone
06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Did you watch the videos? Dude can still dunk the ball. He still has all his moves and ball handling skills. He's 34 yrs old. Maybe he's a step slower than before but he can find other ways to score. He's much more adept at passing the ball and he doesn't turn the ball over.

moisaenz
06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
He's had time to get up to speed with a few things during the layoff. Who knows, Pop might see something we don't. If not, pray Neal can come through for us.

Neal seems healthier but his shot still isn't falling, and if it isn't there is no point of having him playing.

ffadicted
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
The NBA finals is not where you essentially debut new players into the rotation

scramby eggs
06-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I have not seen anything from T-Mac this year the leads me to believe he can still ball. I am not saying he can't, just all I have seen from him is standing around the 3 point line and whipping nice passes followed by occasional missed 3s

Legacy
06-05-2013, 11:27 PM
The NBA finals is not where you essentially debut new players into the rotation

TheyCallMePro
06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
I agree Tracy needs to play this series but...it's not gunna happen unless we find ourselves down 3-1 or something.

Just like Blair not playing vs the Thunder last year until game 6. We needed him. Pop was stubborn.

Let's just pray it doesn't get to that point.

TheyCallMePro
06-05-2013, 11:51 PM
I gotta agree with Neal and Bonner being completely useless this series. Especially Neal dribbling the ball vs the Heat's pressure defense is just a nightmare...

And Bonner just isn't quick enough defensively. He also can't jump.

Neither one should play. Why not let T-Mac have a few minutes? And Blair?

Sean Cagney
06-06-2013, 12:02 AM
T mac will not see a minute in the series unless we are down big or up big. This is the truth.