PDA

View Full Version : Manu: We're not favorites, but it's not impossible to beat them

ElNono
06-05-2013, 02:12 AM
We're not favorites, but it's not impossible to beat them

By Emanuel Ginóbili

MIAMI.- We've just arrived at the hotel and I still haven't looked around the city much to tell if there's a NBA Finals buzz. But we're starting to get involved in the movement that surrounds all this. We're mandated to talk to the press before and after the game, and the next day, during practice. You get to the point where you don't know what else to say. If there were 12 journalists before, now there's 50 and from different countries. You start hearing different languages, people that are waiting for the games, analyzing, talking about it all the time. It's the first thing that made me remember some of the previous finals. Things like that give true dimension what we're playing for, the millions of fans that are following this series.

If somebody is wondering how do you stop LeBron, I can tell you there's no such thing. When your're talking about him, about Kobe Bryant or Kevin Durant, that kind of players, what we can try doing is limit them, try to make them miss more shots than any other night. We need to find a way to make him play uncomfortable. On the one on one game there's not a lot you can do. He's unstoppable, he just goes right over you due to his physical makeup. In the pick and roll plays we're going to need to help a lot, but be careful, because we need to close out too. If the ball is kicked, we have to close out because they also have very good shooters, like Ray Allen, Mike Miller and even Shane Battier when he comes in.

Miami found itself against an Indiana team that, because of their style of play, gave it trouble. Because that happened too during the regular season. And of course we need to learn what they did right to get them in trouble, and also watch what errors Indiana made so we don't repeat them.

Winning will be difficult, and we're going to need to play almost perfect games. We're going to have to be impeccable on the defensive end, move the ball well, and find open guys for the shot. This isn't a team where Tony can just get under the rim with a pick and roll. We're going to need to move the ball quick and well. I'm not going to go into details because it doesn't make sense to talk much before the games.

Something major will be to cut down on the turnovers. Indiana turned it over a lot in game 7 and paid for it handsomely. If you turn it over, you can't get yourself down, you have to focus again. If you turn it over again, it can happen, but you can't have more than that. Three turnovers in four minutes and they can take a 10 point lead. If you turn it over 20 times, like it happened to Indiana, you have no shot.

I can't say Miami is the most difficult foe we've faced in the finals, but I can certainly say it's the first time we're not favorites. It's not impossible to beat them, but it's clear they arrive to this point with a lot of energy. In the regular season they won 27 games in a row, they have the best player in the world, and on top of that they have home court advantage, which isn't insurmountable, but it's certainly important. In my previous three finals, we already knew that with just winning at home it was enough to be a champion. Not this time. You always want to win a road game in any series. Here it's the same thing, but the finals is a very different series with the 2-3-2 format. It becomes imperative to win one of the first two games. Otherwise, the margin gets really slim and we've to win all three games at home.

When I say I still don't know if they'll be the most difficult foe, it's because, for example, against Detroit in 2005 we were down eight points in the 3rd quarter of game 7. I recall that situation to be very difficult.

After these unusual nine days without a game, we can't wait to play. We do scrimmage during practice, but you don't get the same intensity that you do in a game, and you don't force things to avoid injuries. Practice for a couple of days, one day of rest… Now we've to put forth the biggest effort for what's coming, it's great to be playing in June. We're here, and after this long road, thinking about coming back empty handed wouldn't be gratifying. You always want a little more, win four games and finish another season with a smile.

---

Original article in Spanish (http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1588726-no-somos-favoritos-pero-no-es-imposible-ganarles)

siraulo23
06-05-2013, 02:20 AM
:tu

thanks for the translation

racm
06-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Manu with the goods.

emanueldavidginobili
06-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Wow what a great read! Manu is the man, thanks for the read

hooperflash
06-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Manu's write-ups make you feel like a part of the Spurs roster. I'm so proud of this team and what they can accomplish. Thanks E N!

naico
06-05-2013, 02:28 AM
Thanks. Manu appears to be very focused. Game 1 will quickly give us an idea how these series might play out. Can't wait!

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-05-2013, 02:31 AM
It would be great if Manu became a sports commentator or journalist after he retired.

timtonymanu
06-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Damnit. Still have to wait another day! :bang

Spursfanfromafar
06-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Thanks, Nono.

Manu Ginobili is going to be a great coach in the NBA when he is done playing. He will be ultra-competitive and frustrated a lot, but I bet his players will love him as a coach.

crc21209
06-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Nice. Great, insightful stuff from Manu. Really gets you inside of his head and what he is thinking. Thanks for sharing ElNono :tu

Legacy
06-05-2013, 04:18 AM
I believe in you, Manu Ginobili. I really do.

Thanks for sharing, NoNo! :D

Rapper
06-05-2013, 04:27 AM
Thanks

What a good read! trust me, we are able to finish this season with smiles

cheguevara
06-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Manu with the ice cold bloodstream. Spurs are ready

benefactor
06-05-2013, 05:33 AM
He's coming.

Thanks for the translation man.

jhfenton
06-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the link! I enjoy Manu the columnista.

100%duncan
06-05-2013, 07:09 AM
We need you, SuperManu.

ElNono
06-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Manu Ginobili is going to be a great coach in the NBA

I think he said numerous times he won't coach. He doesn't like it, apparently.

SA210
06-05-2013, 10:14 AM
I think he said numerous times he won't coach. He doesn't like it, apparently.

So the other day when he says he will stay with bsketball after he retires, what does he mean? Analyst?

JRHernandez88
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Manu, the Gawd has spoken http://imageshack.us/a/img338/7520/q9amn.png

backinblack
06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
GOALLLL!! :flag:

Old School 44
06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks for posting. Is there any former star international player doing regular analyst work? I think Manu would be great at it!

Ernie Johnson: "Chuck, I'll give you the honor of sending it back to the game announcers."
Barkley: "GINOBILI!!!!!"

rjv
06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
manu may seems cynical in his comments but he always seems to defer to the negative (or worst case scenario). he had a similar sisyphean tone when speaking of memphis.

Spur|n|Austin
06-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Missed this last night, thanks as always ElNono

capek
06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
You always want a little more, win four games and finish another season with a smile.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2008/03/24/va1237298558472/Buddhist-chihuahua-captures-pray-5951754.jpg

EVAY
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
As always, Thanks E-N, for getting the proper translation so that Manu sounds as articulate in translation as he does when he is being interviewed.

Manu always has the right attitude...never weak but always hungry.

I always feel like he is talking to his teammates when he says things like "we will have to play almost perfect defense". He is right.

DAF86
06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Hope he follows his own advise and doesn't turn into turnobili too much during this series, if you don't have a clear pass just shoot it Manu.

DBMethos
06-05-2013, 12:01 PM
When I say I still don't know if they'll be the most difficult foe, it's because, for example, against Detroit in 2005 we were down eight points in the 3rd quarter of game 7. I recall that situation to be very difficult.

LOL that's putting it mildly.

rjv
06-05-2013, 12:04 PM
if manu can play at a B + level and wade is games 1-6 wade instead of game 7 wade, that would also improve our chances greatly.

but my biggest concern is the role players since only the big 3 (and bonner) have NBA finals experience

cutewizard
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Nono.

Manu Ginobili is going to be a great coach in the NBA when he is done playing. He will be ultra-competitive and frustrated a lot, but I bet his players will love him as a coach.

i love this thought!!

ffadicted
06-05-2013, 12:40 PM
:)!

Amuseddaysleeper
06-05-2013, 12:50 PM
He doesn't sound too confident

dbreiden83080
06-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Spurs are the best at never giving people bulletin board material.. They just go play..

ElNono
06-05-2013, 03:07 PM
So the other day when he says he will stay with bsketball after he retires, what does he mean? Analyst?

Maybe. His bro is already a color commentary guy in Argentina... Maybe a managerial position?

SA210
06-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Maybe. His bro is already a color commentary guy in Argentina... Maybe a managerial position?

He said he'd stay in basketball maybe in Argentina, or maybe even here in America. I'd love for him to stay here, but can't blame him for going home.

Budkin
06-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Humble and hungry. Love it. Please God, grant Manu the powers of SuperManu just one last time. Pretty please?

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/15/74/05/3653959/3/628x471.jpg

Budkin
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
He doesn't sound too confident

It's Manu. What's he gonna say, "We know we're better than the Heat and we're going to prove it?"

TheSullyMonster
06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
if manu can play at a B + level and wade is games 1-6 wade instead of game 7 wade, that would also improve our chances greatly.

but my biggest concern is the role players since only the big 3 (and bonner) have NBA finals experience

Yeah, if Wade brings it to half the games, we're in trouble.

Or if Bosh decides, 'hey, maybe I should earn all this money I'm being paid'.

Just LeBron, we can weather that.

kuato
06-05-2013, 06:14 PM
He will work with Weber Bahía Estudiantes.

milkyway21
06-05-2013, 07:41 PM
favorite to win voting in the NBA-Philippines website.

32% HEAT

68% SPURS

http://ph.nba.com/news-article/1447/vote-now-finals-fan-fave-meter#.Ua_XNyz5cej

that, despite Miami Heat's coach is a Filipino-American