PDA

View Full Version : Jackson accused Pop of "mind games", wanted to play ahead of Green, Manu.

Cry Havoc
06-05-2013, 10:12 AM
MIAMI — Stephen Jackson flew commercial to Miami on Tuesday. He should have been on the Spurs' charter.

He should have been joking with Tim Duncan and listening to Gregg Popovich. He should have been preparing for his second Finals and hoping he would get a few minutes trying to defend LeBron James; the Spurs might have been better for that, too.

Instead, Jackson sat in 3A, on United flight 1158, from Houston to Miami.

Any regrets, he was asked?

“Nope,” he said. “Got my money.”

He smiled broadly, as if to convince himself.

Jackson says he didn't come to Miami to watch the Finals. He said he hasn't watched any of the Spurs' games this spring.

Continue reading: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Here-for-fun-Jackson-flies-from-reality-4577343.php?t=ed0bae410f927fc3fb

jon123spurs
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Stay classy Captain Jack.

CosmicCowboy
06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
I could see how anything to do with "mind" could confuse SJackson.

Mugen
06-05-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd hoped Jack had matured by the time he got back here and obviously that isn't the case.

He'll never get more than the vet min. if he ever gets a contract offer again tbh. I don't think he ever gets back to the league and hope he doesn't blow his money or end up looking like Steve Francis.

Indazone
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
He's heading down the Bonzi Wells road

rjv
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
nice to see money was his primary motive-in retrospect, nice move by pop to dump the excessive garbage.

capek
06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Really good article. Nice to get a little more perspective on what went down, even if we'd all assumed as much.

Darius McCrary
06-05-2013, 10:36 AM
He never once said in that article that he wanted to play ahead of Danny and Manu, he just said he wouldn't admit they were better.
Bad form on the title, should change it.

wildbill2u
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
I suspect Pop's 'mind games' were in the nature of 'work harder to prove you're better than the guy in front of you and you'll get more minutes.' or 'You are shooting under 30%. Being a vet doesn't get you any slack on performance vs. minutes on my team. That's the Spur's way." or 'Your legs are gone and you are a liability on the court"

Spur|n|Austin
06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Things will get worse before they get any better for him, he's the epitome of one being their own worst enemy.

moisaenz
06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
POP should have waived him right after the trade deadline, i guess he did not do it because of what happened in Jax family... BUt if he had waived him and signed tmac since then, maybe tmac could have some role by now.

elemento
06-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I couldn't care less about Jackson. SAS money is probably the last paycheck he will get from a NBA team.

Blind Witness
06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I wish him well as a person, but he was awful this season. A lot of people were saying wait for the playoffs and maybe rightfully so, I've watched the same games as everyone else and I have to say he was not doing a Robert Horry. That mans joints are completely rusted over.

AchillesHeel
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Wish he never came back.

manufan10
06-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I could understand if he thinks he's better than Danny Green, but c'mon there's no way he's better than Manu. That's just ridiculous. Even with all of his injuries, Manu is still better than Stephen Jackson.

manufan10
06-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Wish he never came back.

I'm glad he came back because of him the Spurs were able to get rid of Jefferson. Win/Win situation.

timmy2003
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
He thinks hes better than Manu and Green?

hooperflash
06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Grow up Jack, damn.

Cry Havoc
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
He never once said in that article that he wanted to play ahead of Danny and Manu, he just said he wouldn't admit they were better.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. He said they *aren't* better, not that he wouldn't admit that they were.

T Park
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
But but but pop is supposed to keep him around though!!!!

AchillesHeel
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm glad he came back because of him the Spurs were able to get rid of Jefferson. Win/Win situation.

I guess, but I still disliked him. I'm glad we cut this foo.

Fabbs
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Really good article. Nice to get a little more perspective on what went down, even if we'd all assumed as much.

Drachen
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Wish he never came back.

Now this is almost as stupid as Sjax being a headcase in the spurs locker room.

He doesn't come back, we still have Dick jefferson. For another season. At 11 million.

Sjax coming back is still, in light of all of this, such a win of a trade that it isn't even funny how badly we violated the GSW

DAF86
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
We should have traded his expensive overrated ass when we had a chance, tbh. Thinking that you're better than a Hall of Famer when you were arguably the worst rotation player in the entire NBA. :lmao

coyotes_geek
06-05-2013, 11:10 AM

He doesn't come back, we still have Dick jefferson. For another season. At 11 million.

Sjax coming back is still, in light of all of this, such a win of a trade that it isn't even funny how badly we violated the GSW

Horrible take. It's incredibly funny how badly we violated the GSW. :)

timmy2003
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Ironically, Spurs would be better off with Sjax for this series

Drachen
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Horrible take. It's incredibly funny how badly we violated the GSW. :)

It felt good to be a spurs fan, but I felt a little bad for GSW when they were forced to put him in. I had a bit of mitleid, not schadenfreude.

cd98
06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I could understand if he thinks he's better than Danny Green, but c'mon there's no way he's better than Manu. That's just ridiculous. Even with all of his injuries, Manu is still better than Stephen Jackson.

I wonder if he has a lot of resentment considering that one of the reasons he was originally offered less and not resigned is because the Spurs were saving money for Ginoboli.

cd98
06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
It felt good to be a spurs fan, but I felt a little bad for GSW when they were forced to put him in. I had a bit of mitleid, not schadenfreude.

Jefferson came in quite helpful in game 1 against the Warriors.

DOS CHAINZ
06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I hope he isn't in MIAMI for his music.

Two10Whitey
06-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Just listen to his music.. He's still an immature kid. We'll be just fine without him.

BillMc
06-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I suspect Pop's 'mind games' were in the nature of 'work harder to prove you're better than the guy in front of you and you'll get more minutes.' or 'You are shooting under 30%. Being a vet doesn't get you any slack on performance vs. minutes on my team. That's the Spur's way." or 'Your legs are gone and you are a liability on the court"

This.

BillMc
06-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I'll say again. Jackson was getting nearly 20 minutes a game. It's not like he was collecting DNP's. If he wanted more time (presumably to showcase himself for his next big contract) he should have played better. If he couldn't have played better he should have joined Patty Mills in supporting his teammates...

Darius McCrary
06-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Seems pretty straightforward to me. He said they *aren't* better, not that he wouldn't admit that they were.

Never said he wanted or should have played ahead of them. Bad form.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I doubt he'll go broke. He'll have made around $80 million in his career after this season.

Brazil
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
We should have traded his expensive overrated ass when we had a chance, tbh. Thinking that you're better than a Hall of Famer when you were arguably the worst rotation player in the entire NBA. :lmao

+1

dude needs to shut up

timvp
06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
With respect, FSJ.

moisaenz
06-05-2013, 12:25 PM
This is why players full of pride do not play with the Spurs.Either Pop calls them out and lets them know they are not good enough to play or they are too afraid to be exposed...

ffadicted
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Good fucking riddance tbh. There is no room for individual locker-room-cancer-causing pride in a championship contending team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
He's just not championship material anymore, tbh. The only role in which he'll get starter minutes is on a lottery/8th seed team.

scramby eggs
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Still really scramby how things went down

rjv
06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Jefferson came in quite helpful in game 1 against the Warriors.

until he missed 2 crucial free throws in the last 2 minutes that helped us force OT

ohmwrecker
06-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Still really scramby how things went down

ruhFmBrl4GM

Boomersgold
06-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I hope he isn't in MIAMI for his music.

"music"? Is that what he calls it?

moisaenz
06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
The dumbest statement is that Pop was playing mind games.His pride is always in the way, besides who goes to san antonio thinking there wont be any mind games?

Cry Havoc
06-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Seriously. You guys should hear the Bay Area radio when they talk Warriors basketball. They have Jefferson and Bierdins locked up for a combined 20 million+ next season. The amount of vitriol about those two players is astounding (somewhat deservedly, but still). They routinely call Bierdins the softest player in the league on a team with Richard Jefferson and David Lee. :lol Bierdins is probably the most hated man in the state as far as basketball is concerned, and Jefferson isn't far behind them. They almost broke into tears when they were talking about RJ's performance this playoffs vs. San Antonio.

Cry Havoc
06-05-2013, 02:13 PM
The dumbest statement is that Pop was playing mind games.His pride is always in the way, besides who goes to san antonio thinking there wont be any mind games?

Pop doesn't play mind games. He might use psychological motivation to get you to play better, but he doesn't use mind games. He's as straight-forward a coach as there is in the league.

Sean Cagney
06-05-2013, 02:14 PM

This is the truth!

baseline bum
06-05-2013, 02:17 PM
God damn it Jack; he could have been a critical part of this Finals matchup with LeBron and possibly earned himself a nice contract next year too. We all remember how much Marion's physical defense bothered him in the 11 Finals and maybe Jack could have done the same for 10-15 minutes a night. :pctoss

Trainwreck2100
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
If Jackson could have made his open threes he would have been coming off the bench more

TheyCallMePro
06-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Just read the article. He sounds like such a sore loser. "Going to Miami for Vacation, not to watch the Finals". Oh yeah Jack nice coincidence. And then saying he still talks to Kawhi, Neal, and a few Spurs players but he's so bitter about the rest of the team that he hasn't even watched the Spurs at all in the playoffs.

And to confirm this to people, he goes out and posts pictures of himself on twitter while the Spurs games are going on. Pathetic. The Spurs paid him 10 million dollars this season. And to try to divide the locker room like that so late in the year and DARE to say that he's better than Manu Ginobli, the most cherished and beloved Spur of all time, is just outrageous.

I'm so glad he's gone. We truly are a much better team without him. Good riddance.

moisaenz
06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Just read the article. He sounds like such a sore loser. "Going to Miami for Vacation, not to watch the Finals". Oh yeah Jack nice coincidence. And then saying he still talks to Kawhi, Neal, and a few Spurs players but he's so bitter about the rest of the team that he hasn't even watched the Spurs play at all in the playoffs.

And to confirm this to people, he goes out and posts pictures of himself on twitter while the Spurs games are going on. Pathetic. The Spurs paid him 10 million dollars this season. And to try to divide the locker room like he did that late in the year and DARE to say that he's better than Manu Ginobli, the most cherished and beloved Spur of all time, is just outrageous.

I'm so glad he's gone. We truly are a much better team without him. Good riddance.
Ginobili better play good in the Finals.. if not Jack is going to have a field day, although it does not matter.

Phenomanul
06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Everything spiraled out of control when he broke a finger on his shooting hand early in the season... Coupled with inconsistent minutes, he couldn't re-establish any sort of rythym coming back from that injury... That said, his impulsiveness and pride were the 'death knell'....

jjktkk
06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Everything spiraled out of control when he broke a finger on his shooting hand early in the season... Coupled with inconsistent minutes, he couldn't re-establish any sort of rythym coming back from that injury... That said, his impulsiveness and pride were the 'death knell'....

What made Jack and alot of pro players is also what can ruin them in the twilight of their careers.

cd98
06-05-2013, 02:48 PM
until he missed 2 crucial free throws in the last 2 minutes that helped us force OT

Yes, that was my point. He came in helpful for the Spurs. Obviously not for the Warriors, though I believe he did have one decent game in that series.

cd98
06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Just read the article. He sounds like such a sore loser. "Going to Miami for Vacation, not to watch the Finals". Oh yeah Jack nice coincidence. And then saying he still talks to Kawhi, Neal, and a few Spurs players but he's so bitter about the rest of the team that he hasn't even watched the Spurs at all in the playoffs.

And to confirm this to people, he goes out and posts pictures of himself on twitter while the Spurs games are going on. Pathetic. The Spurs paid him 10 million dollars this season. And to try to divide the locker room like that so late in the year and DARE to say that he's better than Manu Ginobli, the most cherished and beloved Spur of all time, is just outrageous.

The problem was not that he thought he was better than Manu. I admire that confidence and think he should believe he is the best player in the world, even if it is irrational to everyone else watching. That said, he must have pouted or done something to set Pop off. Pop has always said its a players' league. I can't think that he doesn't have patience with players griping about lack of minutes. That probably happens all the time, even on teams with good chemistry. That said, his real crime was doing whatever he did to the point it became a distraction. Like you said, he was paid $10 million regardless of how many threes he bricked or if he didn't play a single minute in the playoffs. At some point, when you are that well paid, you need to just take one for the team and wait for your shot, and then deliver big time when you get it. He was the only back up for Kawhi, so it's stupid of him to think he wouldn't get that shot, even as he was behind several players in the rotation.

DesignatedT
06-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Lol Jack thinks he's better than Green and Manu.

rjv
06-05-2013, 03:04 PM
sjax suffers from a huge narcissist complex-on the level of a kobe. the timing of their social media messages speak volumes.

DJR210
06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Good read, thanks.

chrhawk
06-05-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure how this all would've played out if Jack didn't act up in the Spurs locker room. But with this recent incident he has basically assured himself that he is done in the NBA. The Spurs were the only team in the league that wanted anything to do with him. And the thought was that Jackson needed to be in the right situation to flourish, where his brash and confident attitude can off-set the quiet and calm demeanor of a player like Duncan.

Playing for a team with a chance to win the title with a players you previously won with in a city three and a half hours from your hometown sounds like a pretty good deal to me. But he still had issues. And in my opinion if you can't play for a guy like Pop in this stage in your career, you can't play in the league.

Beaverfuzz
06-05-2013, 03:14 PM
multiple personality disorder anyone?

easjer
06-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I was never that high on him, thought I really appreciated what he brought last year (and what he sent packing). But I thought that paying Manu over Sjax was the correct decision back then; he threw several pouting fests and pity-parties when Pop would pull him for Gino, and hesitated at a perfectly decent contract. I'm sorry things went down however they went down, and dude can tell himself whatever he needs to tell himself to sleep at night. I hope he has been smart with his money and enjoys a nice life.

slick'81
06-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Take ur money and run jack

manufan10
06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Also, I think this quote is telling of Jackson's mindset:

Any regrets, he was asked?

“Nope,” he said. “Got my money.”

Floyd Pacquiao
06-05-2013, 03:34 PM
lol jack still hasn't grown up

Cry Havoc
06-05-2013, 05:26 PM
multiple personality disorder anyone?

No. Not even in the realm of MPD.

ALVAREZ6
06-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Better than Green and Manu :lol

Fuck off faggot, past doesn't mean shit, Jackson you are one dumb mother fucker.

Biernutz
06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Jack has always been Jack....just what team that he has been on has a happy ending! I think he always has his bag packed and he likes it that way.......

Kidd K
06-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Most likely this. If you look at Jackson's stats, even an idiot fantasy basketball player wouldn't put in Jackson over Green or Manu, much less a real coach like Pop. There was really no point in having Jackson anymore. Probably sulked about not starting, sulked about Manu coming off the bench first, and sulked about having to play SF at times.

I always liked Jackson's enthusiasm when occaisionally doing something good on the court, but the guy has simply sucked ass for years. I'd rather have the most boring player on the planet who plays well than an interesting to watch guy who isn't very good anymore.

The Reckoning
06-05-2013, 07:04 PM
oh so jackson thinks he's the king of pop now?

siraulo23
06-05-2013, 07:28 PM
“He's a good-hearted guy,” a teammate said then. “And when he was angry, it wasn't because he was demanding the ball or anything like that. But he was so sensitive and emotional that it was difficult to coach, and it was tough for a teammate, too. The countless pouting sessions began to drag on everyone.”

i wonder who actually said this quote,
man jax would have been a great second defender to throw at james... but thats jax for you

superjames1992
06-05-2013, 07:32 PM
LOL, SJAX is delusional. :lol

I've been hating on him all year long and I've been vindicated. We don't need him; we are in the Finals. He was a cancerous tumor in the locker room. No surprise there.

manufan10
06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
LOL, SJAX is delusional. :lol

I've been hating on him all year long and I've been vindicated. We don't need him; we are in the Finals. He was a cancerous tumor in the locker room. No surprise there.

I'm going to have to agree with the bolded part. Besides it being obvious since he was released, I also don't think it's a coincidence that the Spurs started to peak after he was released, tbh imo.

silverblackfan
06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm going to have to agree with the bolded part. Besides it being obvious since he was released, I also don't think it's a coincidence that the Spurs started to peak after he was released, tbh imo.

This. I always like SJax, but this just sounds like sour grapes. His ego has gone to the next level, but his body can't keep up. The Spurs are more in rhythm without him.

Leetonidas
06-05-2013, 08:14 PM
A 30+ year old man still acting like a 19 year old, really sad. Jack is in denial and won't admit it but you know damn well he wishes he was playing in Miami with the Spurs

xmas1997
06-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm glad he is gone too, I wasn't happy they brought him back because I knew something like this was bound to happen.

stelleroseSPURS
06-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Can anyone pls tell me why jefferson gets boos from spurs fans? Haha

exstatic
06-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Wish he never came back.

Naw, that trade shed us of HWSNBN and $11M next year. A little shit from Jack that eventually got him an invitation to the world is definitely worth that payoff.

exstatic
06-05-2013, 09:19 PM
There are a bunch of athletes that have made that or more and are broke.

Yup. Iverson, $200M. It's an all too common tale.

32fastest
06-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Pop don't F@&k around.

timvp
06-05-2013, 10:14 PM
“He's a good-hearted guy,” a teammate said then. “And when he was angry, it wasn't because he was demanding the ball or anything like that. But he was so sensitive and emotional that it was difficult to coach, and it was tough for a teammate, too. The countless pouting sessions began to drag on everyone.”

i wonder who actually said this quote,

Kerr.

Spursfanfromafar
06-05-2013, 10:54 PM
I think the Spurs would have wanted to trade him away early in the trade deadline but decided against it because of Sjax's personal tragedy. I think Pop must have willed that perhaps dealing with the tragedy and some compassion would make SJax realise his role and be a better teammate, but it wasn't happening and it was time to let go.

In hindsight, perhaps, the Spurs could have been a bit more ruthless and have got a decent backup to Leonard in return for SJax's expiring contract. Not that I am complaining. The Spurs have over-achieved so far by heading to the NBA finals. But it is also true that they could have used any more help to guard Lebron James than leaving it solely to Kawhi. Hypothetically, they could have traded for someone like Trevor Ariza or Jared Dudley or pushed the tires on someone like Kirilenko.. Instead they stayed pat expecting SJax to improve but that never happened.

DOS CHAINZ
06-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Saw one of his instagram post earlier today. He's def down in MIAMI in some studio attempting to save Hip Hop.

Cry Havoc
06-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Saw one of his instagram post earlier today. He's def down in MIAMI in some studio attempting to save Hip Hop.

Unfortunately there are no playoffs in hip hop so Jax is just going to end up half-assing every recording session.

senorglory
06-06-2013, 12:59 AM

So what does it mean then, if not that he didn't want to play after those two?

senorglory
06-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Never said he wanted or should have played ahead of them. Bad form.

You're purposefully pretending not to understand, right?

dg7md
06-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Off the court, he seems like a tremendous asshole.

And yet, I still remember Game 6 in OKC last year where he was the only player who truly wanted to win that game.

SJax has always been valuable to us when he was on our playoff teams, it's unfortunate it has come to this but I understand the situation from Pop's side.

KaiRMD1
06-06-2013, 02:05 AM
Shame, I still love Jack but it's a damn shame. It puts it into perspective and he really did need to go to be honest. I really thought Pop could tame him but oh well. Crazy how he would hesitate in 03 over 10 mil but oh well, I'm not an athlete.

davidbowie
06-06-2013, 02:24 AM

i saw that. within minutes a few people called him out in the comment section for his trip down there and quotes and ego and he promptly deleted/blocked them. lol. i did notice he left the "you're better than t-mac" one though. dude is getting sensitive.

therealtruth
06-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Better than Green and Manu :lol

I might agree with him about Green but with the way Green has played in the playoffs I am not so sure.

therealtruth
06-06-2013, 06:41 AM
God damn it Jack; he could have been a critical part of this Finals matchup with LeBron and possibly earned himself a nice contract next year too. We all remember how much Marion's physical defense bothered him in the 11 Finals and maybe Jack could have done the same for 10-15 minutes a night. :pctoss

The hope now is that Kawhi can copy Bowen from '07 Finals as the only Lebron defender.

Prime Time
06-06-2013, 06:42 AM
I might agree with him about Green but with the way Green has played in the playoffs I am not so sure.
The two aren't even comparable. If Stephen Jackson was averaging 10.5ppg, 3.1rpg, and 1.2spg while shooting .429% from Three while playing athletic/smart defense..... We'd all be spazzing over how 'fucking awesome Jackson is.'

SA210
06-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Off the court, he seems like a tremendous asshole.

And yet, I still remember Game 6 in OKC last year where he was the only player who truly wanted to win that game.

SJax has always been valuable to us when he was on our playoff teams, it's unfortunate it has come to this but I understand the situation from Pop's side.

BillMc
06-06-2013, 08:51 AM
It's speculation on my part, but I always got the impression from hints in Jack's interviews that he was a bit bitter towards Tony and Manu for "staying" here and winning rings with TD while he journeyed around the league. I think he was secretly jealous of them. Even Jack knew that prime TD was way out of his league, but he felt he was as good as TP and MG and he'd be a legend too if he had stayed. It might even have been true, but Jack has a lot of issues, wanted to be paid, etc. By the time he returned to SA he was just another journeymen while Manu was beloved and TP an MVP candidate. This stuck in his craw I think.

So, to see Manu (not having the greatest of seasons) and a relative youth like Danny ahead of him, it bugged him. Jack, being Jack, when unhappy he had to tear things down. Pop being Pop would have none of somebody not fully onboard. The fact that Jack was having a miserable season just made it easier to boot him.

Shame that Jack couldn't learn from Patty Mills and even (finally!) Blair...

xmas1997
06-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I never wished him ill, but he was an over emotional basketball turn over machine! Glad he's gone!

carina_gino20
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Better than a HoF'er. :lol

Mark in Austin
06-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Agreed. Plus, I remember reading somewhere that Lebron thinks Jack is crazy. Woulda been nice to have that bit of doubt in Lebron's mind. "If I go hard at him, is he going to go mental?" I was shocked when Jack was let go.

Beaverfuzz
06-06-2013, 04:37 PM
No. Not even in the realm of MPD.

So he's really just a few cards short?

manufan10
06-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Skull-1
06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
NEVER liked Jackson. He almost won me over against Oklahoma City last year, especially when he drew the bogus staring technical.... Any way...

What a jerk. Say goodbye to ever playing in the NBA again, dummy.

TMTTRIO
06-07-2013, 11:08 AM
So much for wanting to end your career with Manu like you said SJax. It's interesting that he keeps interrupting Manu when Manu tries to talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSv5klR7ZlQ

POPownsJackson
06-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Haha :lol

chrhawk
06-07-2013, 01:39 PM
It's speculation on my part, but I always got the impression from hints in Jack's interviews that he was a bit bitter towards Tony and Manu for "staying" here and winning rings with TD while he journeyed around the league. I think he was secretly jealous of them. Even Jack knew that prime TD was way out of his league, but he felt he was as good as TP and MG and he'd be a legend too if he had stayed. It might even have been true, but Jack has a lot of issues, wanted to be paid, etc. By the time he returned to SA he was just another journeymen while Manu was beloved and TP an MVP candidate. This stuck in his craw I think.

So, to see Manu (not having the greatest of seasons) and a relative youth like Danny ahead of him, it bugged him. Jack, being Jack, when unhappy he had to tear things down. Pop being Pop would have none of somebody not fully onboard. The fact that Jack was having a miserable season just made it easier to boot him.

Shame that Jack couldn't learn from Patty Mills and even (finally!) Blair...

If I recall correctly Jack had his chance to stay on San Antonio after the Spurs second championship. They offered a 3-year $10 million contract(correct me if I'm wrong) for him to stay and he and his agent turned it down. So it's not the Spurs didn't want him back, they did. So if Jack felt like he never got a chance to establish his roots in San Antonio then he has no one to blame but himself.

BillMc
06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
If I recall correctly Jack had his chance to stay on San Antonio after the Spurs second championship. They offered a 3-year $10 million contract(correct me if I'm wrong) for him to stay and he and his agent turned it down. So it's not the Spurs didn't want him back, they did. So if Jack felt like he never got a chance to establish his roots in San Antonio then he has no one to blame but himself.

You are right. And that I think added to the bitterness.

superbigtime
06-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Jack turned into Nick van Exel. Sucks that his opportunity to win another 'chip w Spurs is gone, but he did it to himself. what do you expect from a tattooed allover fan punchin rapper from Port fucking Arthur, lol.

DAF86
06-07-2013, 02:10 PM
So much for wanting to end your career with Manu like you said SJax. It's interesting that he keeps interrupting Manu when Manu tries to talk.

lol at the cocky fuckers laughing at the question if the silver medal in Indianapolis and this championship would mean a new era for basketball in Argentina? I guess they didn't see what was coming to them. :lmao :hat 1:00 mark, tbh.

DAF86
06-07-2013, 02:15 PM
BTW, What does Manu say at the 2:26 mark? "I do better though" or "I look better though" :lol

Chinook
06-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Yeah. I noticed that when I rewatched it last season. I don't think they were ever really that close. I don't think Jack is very likable unless he doesn't consider you a threat.

doldrums
06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
lol at the cocky fuckers laughing at the question if the silver medal in Indianapolis and this championship would mean a new era for basketball in Argentina? I guess they didn't see what was coming to them. :lmao :hat 1:00 mark, tbh.

I love Manu's expression at the 4:03 mark

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Are you serious? Green is clearly a better player than Jackson at this stage of his career.