PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Damon Stoudamire

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2005, 01:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_damon_stoudamire.jpghttp://www.nba.com/blazers/images/blazers_logo.gif

Damon Stoudamire | 3
Position: G
Born: Sep 3, 1973
Height: 5-10 / 1,78
Weight: 174 lbs. / 78,9 kg.
College : Arizona '95

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/damon_stoudamire/index.html)

Supposedly the Spurs have interest in him. Still has some game left, though his price has to be MLE and under.

kskonn
07-13-2005, 01:51 PM
good back up.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-13-2005, 01:53 PM
"No team will win a championship with Damon Stoudemire as their PG." He'd get booed off the map here by the AJ fans with long enough memories.

Personally I think he's the kind of guy who could be a major league X-factor off of anyone's bench but I wonder if he'd be willing to make that switch.

pache100
07-13-2005, 02:04 PM
No! NO STOUDAMIRE! I cannot stand that little worm. He doesn't deserve to shine the Spurs' boots. NO!

itzsoweezee
07-13-2005, 02:09 PM
he sucks. he's an awful point guard w/ a me-first attitude. he would be an awful fit for the spurs. i don't even understand why the spurs are looking for another point. they've already got parker, udrih, and barry. unless there's a big trade going down involving one of those three, the spurs should not be looking at point guards. a small forward who can score, on the other hand, would be a great pick up.

timvp
07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
If for whatever reason the Spurs have soured on Beno, Stoudamire is a decent option. He's a scorer with little passing skills, but so was Speedy. It wouldn't suck to have a guy who went for 54 points last year coming off your bench.

nkdlunch
07-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Let's keep Beno. W/enough minutes next season, he should be ready to be a good backup for the playoffs. All he needs to improve is a little on defense and not turning the ball over. I say, give him another chance!

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Among the available options, if Beno is indeed on the way out, this is one of the best, but I think that says more about the market than it does about Stoudemire. Damon isn't some guy who's just hanging on, and I seem to recall that he (along with Darius Miles) hit plenty of big shots and made a number of good passes to help the Blazers beat the Spurs in Portland this year.

His production was good last sesaon -- 15.8 ppg/5.7 apg -- but his field goal shooting percentages weren't. And over the course of his career, Damon backslides considerably at playoff time, which wouldn't bode well.

I don't like Stoudemire's lack of size, either.

All in all, I think the Spurs have more pressing needs. I wouldn't take Damon unless he came for the minimum and with an acceptance of a backup role.

spurschick
07-13-2005, 02:48 PM
The same guy that said Avery would never lead a team to a championship? :lol

temple.of.the.dog
07-13-2005, 02:49 PM
mighty mouse would be a good option, but how much would he cost us? (he has to pay top dollar for the good-shit) the guy had a pound of weed in his attic.

Sense
07-13-2005, 02:54 PM
If for whatever reason the Spurs have soured on Beno, Stoudamire is a decent option. He's a scorer with little passing skills, but so was Speedy. It wouldn't suck to have a guy who went for 54 points last year coming off your bench.

I agree, havin him as a backup would be great, considering he has experience, and he knows what to do in pressure situations. Something Udrih has yet to face.

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I agree, havin him as a backup would be great, considering he has experience, and he knows what to do in pressure situations. Something Udrih has yet to face.

You should compare Stoudemire's regular season numbers with his post-season numbers.

I'm not so sure that Damon is a particularly good pressure situation guy.

itzsoweezee
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
You should compare Stoudemire's regular season numbers with his post-season numbers.

yup.

only idiots would trade away a talented rookie for an undersized gunner on the downside of his career. no thanks.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2005, 06:07 PM
only idiots would trade away a talented rookie for an undersized gunner on the downside of his career. no thanks.

I don't think anyone is talking about trading Beno for Stoudamire. They are talking about picking up Damon to deepen the bench.

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't think anyone is talking about trading Beno for Stoudamire. They are talking about picking up Damon to deepen the bench.

That seems true, but at the same time, I don't see how you could realistically bring in Damon without doing something with Beno. I can't imagine that Damon would be coming here to play third fiddle at the point, and Beno likely won't be real happy with taking the role of Mike Wilks for 2005-06.

I understand that Beno might not have much choice in the matter, but it would be similar (though not identical) to the situation the Spurs had a few years ago with Parker, Claxton, and Daniels. Having quality depth is a great idea, but burying quality, young players on the bench is a formula for dissent, it seems to me.

strangeweather
07-13-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure I want anyone who tried to carry pot through airline security in a foil wrapper running our offense, even as a backup. :rolleyes

Sense
07-13-2005, 06:38 PM

still, on the bench he would want to be part of the team and take on a role...

Udrih didn't do much other than his threes and the turnovers in the post season.

Why not take our chance with damon?
He IS a starter.

sa_butta
07-13-2005, 06:47 PM
"No team will win a championship with Damon Stoudemire as their PG." He'd get booed off the map here by the AJ fans with long enough memories.

Personally I think he's the kind of guy who could be a major league X-factor off of anyone's bench but I wonder if he'd be willing to make that switch.Unforgetable line from that bastard. I still would not want him in a Spurs uniform.

FromWayDowntown
07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Why not take our chance with damon?
He IS a starter.

He IS a starter -- on a very bad team; one that isn't particularly interested in keeping him around, despite having had plenty of time to view his act up close.

Chris
07-13-2005, 10:01 PM
i don't even understand why the spurs are looking for another point. they've already got parker, udrih, and barry

I'm pretty sure Brent Barry is a shooting guard who is capable of running the point. I wouldn't label him as a true point guard though.

SequSpur
07-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Beno sucks.

conversekid
07-13-2005, 10:03 PM
No way! No mighty mouse on the Spurs...

midgetonadonkey
07-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Why are people so down on Beno? He was a rookie for Christ's sake. He has a nice jumper and will improve his game in the next couple of seasons. Everybody wanting to trade Beno is a perfect example of the "what have you done for me lately" attitude fans have now. I think if we wait until his contract runs out, he will have a decent impact on our team. Why bring in a washed out PG that never did shit for anybody over a PG that has tons of potential??? I just don't understand.

Chris
07-13-2005, 10:21 PM
To Beno's credit, he hit some key 3 pointers during the playoffs and finals. Most rookies are turnover prone so I expect him to have better handles next season.

samikeyp
07-13-2005, 10:25 PM
If they wanted to bring in Damon....it shouldn't take more than a couple of dimebags. :lol

Sense
07-13-2005, 10:28 PM
He IS a starter -- on a very bad team; one that isn't particularly interested in keeping him around, despite having had plenty of time to view his act up close.

Why does it matter that he's on a bad team?

Barry?
Big dogg?
Nazr?

were all on bad teams, and all should be starting..

And the team doesn't want him around because they have enough young guards.

PM5K
07-14-2005, 11:48 AM
It's too bad, this guy had the potential to be the best point guard in the league, in his first few seasons in Toronto he was putting up twenty points and nine assists.

To say he's not a good passer is absurd, he's still a true point guard and his assists to point ratio is still about the same as it was when he first got into the league, which is about half as many assists as points, which I'll take any day of the week, especially when a guy puts up twenty and nine....

Spurologist
07-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I had an interview with mutombo about this. Let's see what he had to say

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-09/17/xin_330901171100362160017.jpg

:nope

Kori Ellis
07-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Jul 26 - The Cavs are still looking for a point guard now that Sarunas Jasikevicius is off the market. And Damon Stoudamire has Cleveland's interest, reports the Plain Dealer. However, Houston and Miami have had more serious negotiations with the unrestricted free agent.

The Houston Chronicle also reported that Tracy McGrady is calling for Stoudamire's help, saying his former Toronto teammate would fit well with the Rockets. "He was Mighty Mouse then," McGrady said. "He's toward the end of his career where he just wants to win."

waly.mg
07-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Our 1st Option is the 4 down

We donīt need a great PG Backup to call that play, Manu can call, Barry too and Beno too

spurjur
07-26-2005, 03:09 PM
I believe Houston has the better chance of acquiring him. He would fit in pretty good. They are starting to build a very good team.