PDA

View Full Version : Free Phone Service

Drachen
06-05-2013, 01:23 PM
This might be good for a kid.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/5/4398326/freedompop-launching-freemium-phone-service-through-sprint

Freemium mobile broadband provider FreedomPop has a broad reach, offering free but limited wireless service in the form of a dongle, hotspot, home modem, or iPhone sleeve. And today, it's launching into direct competition with wireless carriers, offering a mobile phone plan that will let users call, text, or use data for free. The plan, which will launch this summer, includes 500MB of mobile data just like FreedomPop's other options. But it will also give subscribers unlimited SMS service and 200 minutes a month, as well as unlimited calls to other FreedomPop customers — though that feature probably will be of limited use outside families.

Like other FreedomPop services, users will pay for the hardware: Forbes reports that the company will sell refurbished HTC Evo 4G and possibly Samsung and LG phones for price points between $99 and $199. There's no contract, and initial service is free, but going over the minute allotment will bump the cost up to around $10 a month for unlimited calling. Data costs more but is still relatively cheap, coming in at $18 a month for 2GB — that's roughly comparable to FreedomPop's other data prices. The service will run on Sprint's network, but instead of operating as a traditional MVNO, it will use VoIP over mobile broadband.

EXTRA MINUTES OR DATA COSTS MORE, BUT IT'S STILL CHEAP COMPARED TO OTHER MOBILE PROVIDERS

FreedomPop's model is similar to that of Republic Wireless, which launched in 2011 and offers unlimited talk, SMS, and data for $19.99 a month on a Motorola phone. But while Republic falls back on Sprint's 3G network when VoIP calling on Wi-FI is unavailable, FreedomPop is based purely on mobile VoIP. Both, however, are aimed at casual users who want no-frills mobile at rock-bottom prices.

FreedomPop's service, currently based on Sprint / Clearwire WiMAX with the promise of future LTE, won't offer the speed or broad coverage of a top-tier mobile carrier: the current broadband service offers slower speeds for free and charges for faster "prioritized" browsing. Likewise, it's already possible to route much texting and calling through VoIP services; FreedomPop's long-delayed iPhone sleeve could theoretically fill in for a carrier contract when it's released. But for people who want the stability of having a phone carrier but don't require many minutes or super-fast data, it's worth checking out.

eyeh8u
06-05-2013, 11:35 PM
YEAY! more congestion on the over congested sprint network, they have almost as many MVNO clients as real customers

Drachen
06-06-2013, 08:08 AM
I keep seeing that. They really need to upgrade their back haul since they have more than enough spectrum for the few customers they do have. They are just trying to service them using 1997 tech. Fwiw though, at least for the time being, this won't affect many sprint customers. It is only using wimax (not even *laugh * 3g)

Drachen
06-06-2013, 08:14 AM
I say *laugh* because my friend and I tried an experiment using Google music streaming. He, using his sprint phone, turned off leans tried listening to a song... Skips galore. I forced my Tmobile phone to Edge (2g) and it stuttered once at the beginning of the song for 3 seconds, then played smoothly. Each of us created a play list, started streaming, and his skipped all over the place from song to song and mine only skipped one on the first song (meaning that if allowed to buffer, I get a smooth experience going forward)

leemajors
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
I say *laugh* because my friend and I tried an experiment using Google music streaming. He, using his sprint phone, turned off leans tried listening to a song... Skips galore. I forced my Tmobile phone to Edge (2g) and it stuttered once at the beginning of the song for 3 seconds, then played smoothly. Each of us created a play list, started streaming, and his skipped all over the place from song to song and mine only skipped one on the first song (meaning that if allowed to buffer, I get a smooth experience going forward)

My gf's LTE and 3g with sprint are laughable in Austin. It drops all the time, calls, streaming...

eyeh8u
06-06-2013, 10:13 AM
i used to be on sprint, I was an orignal SERO Customer, i paid 30 bucks for unlimited everything, and for 4 years it outweighed the horrible service, the wimax 4g worked ok in the one location i was at the most and i was able to justify keeping it, but one day I was about to sell my car to a buyer , a car i had trouble selling for 8 months, I just had to meet the buyer at his credit union in a different part of town, the service was soooo bad that my gps cut out, no internet connection. and I got stranded in a 40 year old car that gets 6mpg with only half a tank left, through sheer luck i was able to find the place, the next month i got a nexus 4 from the play store and tmobile, and i havent looked bad. 50 bucks a month for unlimited internet, use Gvoice for texts, more than enough voice minutes for me.

mrsmaalox
06-07-2013, 02:32 PM
What about Freedom Pop's home modem and router, anyone use it? I'm in the process of setting up a part-time residence in Austin and was looking at this as a way to keep costs down on a place I'll only use 3-4 days per week.

Drachen
06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Who is your current Internet provider?

mrsmaalox
06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
AT&T; I also use their unlimited data mobile plan but I just think I don't want to be limited to that.

Drachen
06-07-2013, 10:03 PM
AT&T; I also use their unlimited data mobile plan but I just think I don't want to be limited to that.

Why not? You know freedom pop is just sprint wimax right? Also, you only get 500 mb for free

eyeh8u
06-07-2013, 10:25 PM
you get a gig free for the home modem version, and 10 gigs for a 10 dollars, .99 cent inactivity charge if you use less than 5mb.

Drachen
06-08-2013, 09:41 AM
you get a gig free for the home modem version, and 10 gigs for a 10 dollars, .99 cent inactivity charge if you use less than 5mb.

My main purpose in asking her what she uses, is to basically tell her to check with her service provider to see how much she uses a month, then see if Freedompop will work for her.

For example, in the last 6 months, my usage never fell below 60 GB (and I don't torrent either). So for me, none of those will work.

eyeh8u
06-08-2013, 11:31 AM
My main purpose in asking her what she uses, is to basically tell her to check with her service provider to see how much she uses a month, then see if Freedompop will work for her.

For example, in the last 6 months, my usage never fell below 60 GB (and I don't torrent either). So for me, none of those will work.

just clarifying freedompop terms

mrsmaalox
06-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Why not? You know freedom pop is just sprint wimax right? Also, you only get 500 mb for free

I'm not like you "technophile dudes" who are comfortable using a smartphone for all online activities, I'm pretty much still married to my laptop for the majority of my daily use. I suppose I could use my data plan on my ipad and be fine, but I still want to have something available for my kids to tap into when they are around, as they pay for very limited data on their phones. I've found that most apartment complexes have free wifi in common areas, plus there is always McDonalds----maybe they'll just have to make do until they can come up with some $$ to live in the manner in which they've become accustomed!

Drachen
06-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm not like you "technophile dudes" who are comfortable using a smartphone for all online activities, I'm pretty much still married to my laptop for the majority of my daily use. I suppose I could use my data plan on my ipad and be fine, but I still want to have something available for my kids to tap into when they are around, as they pay for very limited data on their phones. I've found that most apartment complexes have free wifi in common areas, plus there is always McDonalds----maybe they'll just have to make do until they can come up with some $$ to live in the manner in which they've become accustomed!

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that you could use your phone's data plan to run wifi for your laptop/etc.

Check with ATT and find out how much data you are using a month and go from there to see if freedompop/something else, will suit your needs

FWIW, I prefer using my tablet or laptop due to the larger screen, but for short to midterm stuff, my phone is fine.