PDA

View Full Version : Who's guarding who exactly?

TheyCallMePro
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I get it from our perspective.

Kawhi guards Lebron
Green guards Wade
Parker guards Chalmers
Splitter guards Haslem
Duncan guards Bosh

But what about on the flip side? I can't see Lebron guarding Kawhi. Lebron is not going to sit in the corner with Kawhi the whole possession and just watch the Spurs execute. It's the same with D-wade and Green. Those guys aren't used to guarding role players who basically just stand on the 3 point line waiting for an opportunity. They're simply not going to do that. No offense to Kawhi and Green, but they're just not that involved with the offense, and the Heat won't be using their two best players to guard them on the perimeter the whole game.

I think that's why people are talking about Lebron eventually guarding Parker. But that seems extreme. Here's how I think it'll be for the heat:

Lebron guards Green (more involved in the offense than Kawhi. Also former teammate of Lebron so he knows what Danny is capable of)
Wade guards Parker (Chalmers is the Heat's whipping boy. No way Lebron & Wade let anyone else guard him besides themselves. Especially not Chalmers long term)
Chalmers guards Kawhi (I know...sounds ridiculous, but the Heat will help if Kawhi tries to post up on him)
Haslem guards Splitter ( Splitter should win this matchup pretty easily.)
Bosh guards Duncan (more worried about the flip-side of this one. Need Duncan in the post to stop Lebron when he drives. But Bosh is going to be a matchup nightmare and stretch Tim out to the perimeter...ouch)

I'm not saying Chalmers won't start out on Tony. I think Cole is actually going to defend Tony better than Chalmers, but eventually Lebron and Wade are going to get sick of watching TP drive, score and kick it out for 3's all game. They're going to defend him eventually. Lebron is probably too big to get it done, so by game 2 I see Wade starting on him.

What do you guys think?

benstanfield
06-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Splitter should guard Bosh. He's better at defending midrange shooters. He was much better guarding Gasol than Duncan. With Duncan on Haslem it allows him to sag off and clog the paint for LBJ/Wade, he just has to stay out of foul trouble and we have to be ready to help weak side if LBJ dishes to Haslem or Andersen.