PDA

View Full Version : Tracy McGrady will consider retirement after NBA Finals

Spurs Brazil
06-05-2013, 07:06 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/05/tracy-mcgrady-retire-nba-finals-spurs/?sct=uk_t2_a9

San Antonio spurs swingman Tracy McGrady told reporters on Wednesday that he will consider retirement after the NBA Finals. For McGrady, this is his first finals appearance since being selected No. 9 by the Toronto Raptors in the 1997 draft.

McGrady, who turned 34 years old two weeks ago, has been used sparingly by head coach Gregg Popovich after signing with the Spurs days before the playoffs got underway in April. The seven-time All-Star and two-time scoring champion has played a total of 16 minutes so far in the three rounds leading up to Thursday’s Game 1 against the Miami Heat.

After promising years with the Orlando Magic and Houston Rockets from 2000-2008, McGrady started to slow down because of nagging shoulder and knee surgeries. In May 2008, he underwent arthroscopic surgery on both his left shoulder and left knee and never returned to form; from the 2008-09 season to the 09-10 season, McGrady would appear in a total of just 65 games. In 2012, after brief stints with the Detroit Pistons, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks, McGrady signed a contract to play with the Qingdao Ducks in China.

Now back in the NBA, the 2012-13 season marks the first time in his career that he’s playing in an NBA game despite having never suited up during the regular season.

Skull-1
06-05-2013, 07:15 PM
I hope he gets a ring and some playing time. I flew him to Houston from Florida on a charter flight. He thanked me six times and shook my hand at least four. One of either was enough. A humble, gracious, decent human being. And his mom was cool, too. She gave me a hug and thanked me for bringing her "baby" home safely. A real good mom!Win one for T-Mac, Spurs. The class to give a guy like him a ring reflects the ethos of our Spurs and what they represent.

cheguevara
06-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Human victory Cuban :cry :cry

m33p0
06-05-2013, 07:20 PM
that orlando duncan-mcgrady pairing is an all-time what-ifs of basketball.

milkyway21
06-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I hope he gets a ring and some playing time. I flew him to Houston from Florida on a charter flight. He thanked me six times and shook my hand at least four. One of either was enough. A humble, gracious, decent human being. And his mom was cool, too. She gave me a hug and thanked me for bringing her "baby" home safely. A real good mom!Win one for T-Mac, Spurs. The class to give a guy like him a ring reflects the ethos of our Spurs and what they represent.

:tu

they win rings for Smith, Finley, Rasho, Willis... hope they will too for TMac :angel

Poolboy5623
06-05-2013, 07:51 PM
It would put an exclamation pt on the Duncan dynasty, for me..really need this one.

moisaenz
06-05-2013, 08:02 PM
This is just a play by Tmac to get playing time......

Jk it would be nice if he could stay one season I guess if he gets a ring he will retire.

Indazone
06-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Not if Pop offers him a contract next season

Indazone
06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
You know, now that I've thought about it. This is typical T-Mac. The man has no filter. He just spouts what's on his mind at the moment. Just because he says he's considering it, doesn't mean he's going to do it. He said he'd retire after 2010 when he had microfracture surgery and said if he couldn't return to form he'd retire. Now he's saying it again. Right after coming off a good season in China and getting picked up by an NBA team. Makes no sense at all. I remember when his knee was hurt. First it was I can play. I"m gonna play. Then it was my knee hurts. Can't play. Then it was off and on until he took it on himself to get microfracture surgery without telling anyone. Much respect to the man, but please stfu. If you're gonna retire, don't telegraph it. Just do it.

baseline bum
06-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Would have never happened. It would have been Duncan-Hill and McGrady would have signed in Chicago.

apalisoc_9
06-05-2013, 09:29 PM
You know, now that I've thought about it. This is typical T-Mac. The man has no filter. He just spouts what's on his mind at the moment. Just because he says he's considering it, doesn't mean he's going to do it. He said he'd retire after 2010 when he had microfracture surgery and said if he couldn't return to form he'd retire. Now he's saying it again. Right after coming off a good season in China and getting picked up by an NBA team. Makes no sense at all. I remember when his knee was hurt. First it was I can play. I"m gonna play. Then it was my knee hurts. Can't play. Then it was off and on until he took it on himself to get microfracture surgery without telling anyone. Much respect to the man, but please stfu. If you're gonna retire, don't telegraph it. Just do it.

He's just being frank and telling people what's on his mind. A lot of people have that kind of personality and i really don't see anything wrong with it. Beats out political answers 100% of the time tbh.

TheGoldStandard
06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Guess this means he goes for 30 in his final game to closeout the series.

Virgil
06-05-2013, 09:56 PM
hope he returns next season

milkyway21
06-05-2013, 10:03 PM
If the Spurs can win this one, Pop must give Manu limited minutes in the regular season so he will be fresh and injury -free in the playoffs next year. So he can share minutes with TMac in the regular season. That way TMac will learn the Spurs system more.

exstatic
06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
hope he returns next season

I don't. He's a non-factor, and we have players in the pipeline that need roster spots.

LakerHater
06-05-2013, 11:18 PM

they win rings for Smith, Finley, Rasho, Willis... hope they will too for TMac :angel & Glenn Robinson!

Beaverfuzz
06-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Maybe he can fall back on his college degree....or go to college.

Beaverfuzz
06-05-2013, 11:20 PM

they win rings for Smith, Finley, Rasho, Willis... hope they will too for TMac :angel

And Mercy Mercy Jerome Kersey!

TheyCallMePro
06-05-2013, 11:23 PM
This settles it.

If this is his last go-round, then Mcgrady needs to be starting from game 1.

Sorry Kawhi.

Bobby Peru
06-05-2013, 11:26 PM
so he will retire a loser. good for him

ace3g
06-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran Tracy McGrady making first NBA Finals appearance, says 'some are dealt different cards'
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--tracy-mcgrady-making-first-nba-finals-appearance-003208609.html

DOS CHAINZ
06-06-2013, 12:05 AM
He can tell his grand kids he swept Kobe's Lakers, the Grizzlies & beat the Lebrons to get his NBA Championship!!!

Kool Bob Love
06-06-2013, 12:05 AM
& Glenn Robinson!

Big Dawg!

dg7md
06-06-2013, 01:25 AM
I still think he will have at least one game where he goes off on the Heat.

I hope.

Skoobz
06-06-2013, 04:52 AM

Barry, Vaughan......vets i can think off that came to us during the title times, mid to late career and didnt get one is Terry Porter.

TheCerebral1
06-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Meh, that's all that needs to be said.

Indazone
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
He'll be back. He's only 34. Once he tastes the Finals, he's just going to be like everyone else. Hungry for another one. Unless of course Duncan retires then he'll be gone.

SenorSpur
06-06-2013, 06:39 PM
He should. Let's hope he goes out with a ring.

sananspursfan21
06-06-2013, 06:44 PM
& Glenn Robinson!

Massenberg anyone?

mabrignani
06-06-2013, 06:56 PM

i really think duncan didnt want to go to a team where a DUKEe is considered their "best player"