PDA

View Full Version : Building a PC

Death In June
06-06-2013, 01:11 AM
So, I've recently made the switch from gaming on a console to using a PC. Right now, I've got a Lenovo Y580 Ideapad. I don't know shit about building a PC. The whole scene is kind of new to me. I figure I can get someone to actually put it together, but I don't know what I need to make a top of the line rig. I've got a budget of 3 to 4K. What should I put in this thing?

Creepn
06-06-2013, 01:41 AM
So you don't know the components that make up a computer? You should just have someone build it for you and he'll give you options of each hardware to choose from. It will just be too complicated doing it on your own such as finding the right form factor, memory, cpu sockets, ect.

baseline bum
06-06-2013, 02:50 AM
God damn, $3,000-$4,000 will build you some real high-end shit. Shoot, I'd put half of that towards the monitor.

Cry Havoc
06-06-2013, 03:04 AM
So, I've recently made the switch from gaming on a console to using a PC. Right now, I've got a Lenovo Y580 Ideapad. I don't know shit about building a PC. The whole scene is kind of new to me. I figure I can get someone to actually put it together, but I don't know what I need to make a top of the line rig. I've got a budget of 3 to 4K. What should I put in this thing?

$3k will build you an absolutely ridiculous computer right now.

Check out www.reddit.com/r/buildapc and www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme

They have good advice and will be able to get a good deal on the parts you want. Tons of resources and even an IRC channel to talk in real-time if you have specific questions.

If you prefer a little less community involvement, amazon is the best site to order from, with Tigerdirect and newegg 2nd and 3rd places respectively.

You can use pcpartpicker.com to find the lowest prices.

Cry Havoc
06-06-2013, 03:04 AM
God damn, $3,000-$4,000 will build you some real high-end shit. Shoot, I'd put half of that towards three monitors.

:hat

baseline bum
06-06-2013, 03:22 AM
I have to also prop newegg. I have been using them for years and always get great stuff from them for very good prices. It's always nice to buy from a company that is really prompt with returns/RMAs too rather than trying to squeeze every last cent in a one-time sale like so many other online retailers.

But seriously, in computers there is such diminishing return for your dollar once you start hitting the floor of high-end setups. I think a great monitor is one of your best utility per dollar investments when you start getting in that kind of price range.

TDMVPDPOY
06-06-2013, 04:15 AM
intel new generation cpus are out

nvidia gpu new generation are out a few days ago

monitor setup either go 3x+27 ips model

or 30inch ips model...

DJR210
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM
FUCK me! 3-4K on a PC?! That's crazy, but I'll throw together a rig for you w/ that budget. As mentioned, use pcpartpicker.com. Not only will it show you who has the cheapest price for the part, it will also tell you if anything you have selected is non-compatible.

Here is a three part video from Newegg that explains the parts, and building of a PC. I literally knew nothing about building a PC, and after about a month of reading online, and starting w/ those videos, I built my first gaming rig w/ no issue.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

I was able to build a PC that will play all games with maximum or near max settings running at no less than 60 fps for around 1700.00 w/ all accessories and a monitor. At the most I may have to lower the quality of the MSAA (multi sample anti aliasing) from 8x to 4x, but TBH you can't really tell on a 23" 1080p monitor. I'm currently running this setup:

Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570k Processor
GTX 680 2GB GPU
Ripjaws Z 2133 Mhz Memory

3-4 thousand on a PC will be overkill, but will kick some series benchmarking ass and should be good for the next 5 years IMO. If I had your budget, I'd recommend this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13Khl

velik_m
06-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Spending 3k on PC is stupid, you're better off spending half that and then the other half in 2 years time, if you're really set on burning the money.

baseline bum
06-07-2013, 04:47 AM
Spending 3k on PC is stupid, you're better off spending half that and then the other half in 2 years time, if you're really set on burning the money.

Truth. Computer hardware loses its value at a ridiculously fast pace. Hence the recommendation of going all out on the monitor to have something that'll still be awesome 3-4 years from now.

baseline bum
06-07-2013, 04:52 AM
I don't recommend buying parts from a bunch of different places. It's just a pain in the ass getting all your parts at 10 different times. For the most part I just buy from newegg since

1. They have great prices and great selection
2. They treat their customers really well; never had to jump through any hoops to make a return even on high dollar hardware.
3. They ship very quickly
4. No sales tax outside of California

With that said, it has been a while since I built a high-end PC for myself (have done a couple for friends); mostly I stick with low-end shit since I don't game on PC right now (that'll likely change once the XBox360 gets phased out though) and the most taxing thing my system has to do is play 720p60fps video.

Death In June
06-09-2013, 10:50 PM
FUCK me! 3-4K on a PC?! That's crazy, but I'll throw together a rig for you w/ that budget. As mentioned, use pcpartpicker.com. Not only will it show you who has the cheapest price for the part, it will also tell you if anything you have selected is non-compatible.

Here is a three part video from Newegg that explains the parts, and building of a PC. I literally knew nothing about building a PC, and after about a month of reading online, and starting w/ those videos, I built my first gaming rig w/ no issue.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

I was able to build a PC that will play all games with maximum or near max settings running at no less than 60 fps for around 1700.00 w/ all accessories and a monitor. At the most I may have to lower the quality of the MSAA (multi sample anti aliasing) from 8x to 4x, but TBH you can't really tell on a 23" 1080p monitor. I'm currently running this setup:

Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570k Processor
GTX 680 2GB GPU
Ripjaws Z 2133 Mhz Memory

3-4 thousand on a PC will be overkill, but will kick some series benchmarking ass and should be good for the next 5 years IMO. If I had your budget, I'd recommend this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13KhlThanks Cry, Bum, DJR, for the advice and info. I ended up going DJR's recommended setup, with a couple of changes - I went with a PSU of a 1000 watts and ended up going slightly over budget with a Dell UltraSharp U3014 monitor.

DJR210
06-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks Cry, Bum, DJR, for the advice and info. I ended up going DJR's recommended setup, with a couple of changes - I went with a PSU of a 1000 watts and ended up going slightly over budget with a Dell UltraSharp U3014 monitor.

Congrats. I'd love to see pics of the final product. Also, make sure you test OUTSIDE of the case. You don't want to install all of the parts in the case, and then try and boot and discover you have a faulty part.

I used the motherboard box as my "test bench" - You don't want to use any surface that is conductive as a spark from static electricity can be enough to ruin your parts. Once everything is connected, you can use the end of a butterknife to touch the two necessary power pins and manually turn on the power.

I'd love to see the 3dMark11 scores w/ that BEAST of a rig too btw.

DJR210
06-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Also...

FUCK that's a nice monitor! 1600p will be NO PROBLEM w/ a 4770k and SLI 780's! Since you have the multi-GPU setup, another option is to get three 1080p's and create a surround setup. Racing games on 3x 40" HDTV's is fucking arcade type shit at home.

leemajors
06-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Congrats. I'd love to see pics of the final product. Also, make sure you test OUTSIDE of the case. You don't want to install all of the parts in the case, and then try and boot and discover you have a faulty part.

I used the motherboard box as my "test bench" - You don't want to use any surface that is conductive as a spark from static electricity can be enough to ruin your parts. Once everything is connected, you can use the end of a butterknife to touch the two necessary power pins and manually turn on the power.

I'd love to see the 3dMark11 scores w/ that BEAST of a rig too btw.

I am usually more worried about condensation from the beers I inevitably drink while assembling a pc :lol

DJR210
06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I am usually more worried about condensation from the beers I inevitably drink while assembling a pc :lol

Lol. I think my second go round I might have a beer or 5. I was much to nervous when assembling my first, I needed to focus.

Dirk Oneanddoneski
06-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Would you be set if you bought this http://slickdeals.net/f/6074198-Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7870-HD-2GB-256-bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-Video-Card-4-PC-Gaming-Coupons-175-89-after-Rebate-Free-Shipping-at-Newegg-Lowest-Pricet and added this

http://slickdeals.net/f/6081262-HP-Pavilion-HPE-Desktop-Core-i7-3770-3-4GHz-10GB-DDR3-1TB-7200RPM-HDD-1GB-Radeon-HD-7570-WiFi-N-Win-7-Prem-560

And added this or can you build something as good or better for the same price?

DJR210
06-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Would you be set if you bought this http://slickdeals.net/f/6074198-Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7870-HD-2GB-256-bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-Video-Card-4-PC-Gaming-Coupons-175-89-after-Rebate-Free-Shipping-at-Newegg-Lowest-Pricet and added this

http://slickdeals.net/f/6081262-HP-Pavilion-HPE-Desktop-Core-i7-3770-3-4GHz-10GB-DDR3-1TB-7200RPM-HDD-1GB-Radeon-HD-7570-WiFi-N-Win-7-Prem-560

And added this or can you build something as good or better for the same price?

The 7870 you linked to is actually a really good price. That card is a model from last gen (keep in mind AMD 8000 series is coming out soon and Nvidia's 700 series is already out), and one of AMD's higher end cards in the 7800 series . It will allow you to play todays games at high settings and good framerates. Maybe even ultra if you turn off the anti aliasing.

I didn't even bother opening the link to the pre-built. Don't do it. You will be much better off by selecting individual parts and assembling yourself. The GPU in that pre-built is complete trash. Usually pre-builts that are not outrageously priced are very unbalanced, and this is one of those PC's. (3770 i7 and a 7570??)

DarrinS
06-11-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't recommend buying parts from a bunch of different places. It's just a pain in the ass getting all your parts at 10 different times. For the most part I just buy from newegg since

2. They treat their customers really well; never had to jump through any hoops to make a return even on high dollar hardware.

With that said, it has been a while since I built a high-end PC for myself (have done a couple for friends); mostly I stick with low-end shit since I don't game on PC right now (that'll likely change once the XBox360 gets phased out though) and the most taxing thing my system has to do is play 720p60fps video.

Good advice. Also, with their barebones kits, you can be sure that everything is compatible.

DJR210
06-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I broke the cardinal rule by purchasing my parts 1-2 at a time, but thankfully each part worked. I used Newegg for all of my purchases, and they were great. Shipping was free for all but one item, and ordering on payday Friday I received my UPS delivery the following Tuesday or Wednesday every time.

They also have a useful feedback system that manufacturers actually monitor. If you give a poor review, usually a representative from the company will respond to you and offer a resolution.

leemajors
06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I always price check amazon after going to newegg personally, cause I have Prime.

ElNono
06-12-2013, 12:04 AM

Ehh... not true. They charge taxes on every state they have a warehouse on... and those fucks had to have one in New Jersey :depressed