PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Spurs Team Ever

timvp
06-06-2013, 02:53 AM
As Game 1 of the 2013 NBA Finals draws closer, I'd like to take some time to write about what makes this my favorite Spurs team ever. It starts with the emotional bond built up over the years. Don't get me wrong, I loved all the championship teams ... but this is different. Tim Duncan was a second year player in 1999 -- we didn't really know him. Tony Parker burst onto the scene, Manu Ginobili came the next season and then the Spurs ripped off three championships in five seasons. Awesome, yes, but it was a blur and not comparable to today.

Through the trials and tribulations, the ups and downs, the good times and bad over the past decade-plus, we've been able to witness every angle of the human side of the Big 3, Pop and many of the other players who have come through town. Being a fan of this team has been an amazing ride ... even the last six seasons that ended in disappointment.

And really, those disappointments make the here and now even sweeter. Winning an NBA championship as a small market team is one of the most difficult things to do in all of sports; any doubts to that difficulty level should have been erased over the last six years. All it takes is one misstep by one individual in the journey and everything comes tumbling down.

It also makes me proud as a fan to see the dedication these guys put into this craft. Honestly, the Big 3, Pop and RC have already earned their lifetime contracts. Those championships they've won will allow them to keep their jobs as long as they are willing to work. To me, that makes it even more impressive that they've continued to "pound the rock" with the same hunger they had before the rings.

It's difficult for me to express how much I want the Spurs to win four more games. This would mean more than a championship. It'd be like the ultimate stamp of approval for this era or the final scene in a movie where good triumphs. History would say the Robinson-Duncan-Parker-Ginobili-Pop Spurs were damn good and they remained damn good for a damn long time. You can take their youth, you can take their athleticism, you can take their sustained health, you can take their stamina but you cannot take their fighting spirit or their willingness to believe in one another. That is forever. And it's what is powering the team today.

If we look at things logically, these Spurs shouldn't even be in this position. Tim Duncan is an age that he should be in a steep decline -- not putting up a per-minute prime season while being named to the All-NBA First Team. Manu Ginobili's style of play should have led him to an early retirement years ago. Speed point guards never last beyond age 30 -- much less peak after that age like Tony Parker is doing. Pop, at 64, has shown more energy and commitment to perfection this season than just about any season I can remember. Those four individuals should be on a glorified farewell tour, not standing with a legit chance to reach the mountain top in a few weeks.

I want to say I'll be satisfied that the Spurs have made it this far regardless of what happens in the Finals. But that would be a lie. They deserve this too much. I'll applaud their effort and I'll be proud -- but I will only be satisfied with one thing: the San Antonio Spurs winning their fifth NBA championship.

You can do this. It may take near perfection but it took even longer odds to get to this spot in the first place.

I wish you the absolute best. May you get what you richly deserve.

Believe.

koriwhat
06-06-2013, 02:57 AM
fuck yeah! now go delete your heat in 5 thread.

Sean Cagney
06-06-2013, 03:00 AM
#5............ Coming.

superjames1992
06-06-2013, 03:00 AM
:tu

cheguevara
06-06-2013, 03:01 AM
I'll be happy with what they've achieved and if they make the Heat sweat as much or more than the Pacers did. Win or Lose, I'll be 100% satisfied with that.

Cry Havoc
06-06-2013, 03:10 AM
This would definitely be the sweetest out of the 5 titles we've seen. We have been written off since 2007 as too old. And yet here we are again. Right on the verge. Doubt I'll sleep tonight.

Tomorrow is Christmas.

koriwhat
06-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Tomorrow is Christmas.

merry christmas ch! shit's gonna be wild tomorrow.

siraulo23
06-06-2013, 03:20 AM
no not the Believe post!

BatManu20
06-06-2013, 03:23 AM
:cry That got me pumped. Let's do this!!!! :ihit

TE
06-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Damn good piece, timvp. This is the way the more reasonable fans of this fanbase feel.

All this feels unreal...through all the BS that's happened the last six years, we're here again.

baseline bum
06-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Awesome post LJ. But to me, the titles with David Robinson will always mean the most. While I'm floored to see Tim still playing at a First Team level at 37 and Parker hitting his prime at the same age Isiah and KJ fell off a cliff, nothing was sweeter than seeing David ring that first time after all the crap he took for previous teams' failures. Like it was his fault Red McCombs was cheap and thought Vinny Del Negro could be the answer at point. Or that Terry Cummings blew out his knee. Or that Sean Elliott's kidneys were failing him. The fact that Sean was playing NBA playoff basketball back in a physical era and performing when he was on the verge of dialysis just blows my mind. Seeing AJ, the guy who wasn't supposed to be able to hit a jumper and who wasn't a real point guard according according the naysayers... seeing his jumper win the title was incredible. I just don't know how you top the 99 team. But damn, what a ride. It looked like it was over in 2010 with the 7-seed, and then it really looked over with the first round loss to Memphis in 2011. 2012 felt like a last shot at a title, and yet, here they are 4 wins from #5.

naico
06-06-2013, 03:43 AM
Can't agree more. That's exactly how i feel about it. The scenes of joy filled with emotions that would erupt after winning it all would be epic. Like you said, they deserve this. Not taking anything away from Miami but this title would just be a pit stop on the way to LeBron's legacy. It means so much more to these Spurs. Let's hope heart does the trick!

thekingrobert
06-06-2013, 03:49 AM
We won one for Glenn Robinson, Michael Finley, Steve Smith, Danny Ferry, Terry Porter and Kevin Willis. Why not win one for T-Mac, also if we lose I might seriously consider not watching basketball anymore after Duncan retires.

spurraider21
06-06-2013, 04:24 AM
seeing the final years of Robinson's career was painful because we knew he was going to be gone, but at least we knew the Duncan era ahead would treat us well. However, there is no such obvious transition ahead. When the days of Timmy (and likely at the same time, Pop and Manu) are done, we have all sorts of uncertainty, and probably mediocrity ahead of us, unless just about every international prospect we have live up to their complete potential. This is why this year is so much more important than a title in 99, 03, 05, and to an extent, 07. During those title runs, we knew we had more title runs in us. This isn't the case this time around, and this literally might be the last run our team makes in decades. This would be my favorite title of them all, and I'm not even sure it would even be close. When one day I'll tell my kids about basketball during my time, and they all know the legends of LeBron, Kobe, Tim the way I know the legends of Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird, etc. I can always point to this season.

For the past years, the "analysts" always say shit like "you can never write the Spurs off" but you know those same analysts will turn around and say "the window is closed/closing." You know that while they say "as long as they have Pop and the big 3, they're a force to be reckoned with" what they're really thinking is "these guys are too old, they'll lose in the 2nd round." Winning a chip this year would be glorious, not only to have the personal satisfaction of seeing your team win after a long, grueling, age defying season, but this title would also serve as the "in your face" title to everybody else, all the naysayers. It would be the 5th for Tim, which would make him the greatest winner of the post-Jordan era, and as far as just winning, puts him RIGHT there with Jordan, Magic, Kareem. And who better to come against than the guy who will likely end up going down as a top 5 player in league history right in the middle of his prime. This HAS to happen, and it WILL happen. When I first joined this forum, I saw the simple "believe" comment under almost everybody's name. It's something I think we're all feeling right now. I believe.

No homo

alamo50
06-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Great post, but no other team than in '03 will ever be my favorite.
The '99 squad comes in 2nd.

milkyway21
06-06-2013, 04:36 AM
My Favorite Spurs Team Ever

team Duncan 2003, is my favorite.

Spurs in 1999 close second but because there was no Manu & Parker on that team I chose 2003.

2003, Tim Duncan at his prime.
Had beaten the best- the Lakers (Kobe & Shaq).
Had beaten the best point guard at that time & runner -up season MVP - Jason Kidd

David Robinson.

It was the time when you don't have to doubt who's going to win in the finals.

milkyway21
06-06-2013, 04:36 AM
My Favorite Spurs Team Ever

team Duncan 2003, is my favorite.

Spurs in 1999 close second but because there was no Manu & Parker on that team I chose 2003.

2003, Tim Duncan at his prime.
Had beaten the best- the Lakers (Kobe & Shaq).
Had beaten the best point guard at that time & runner -up season MVP - Jason Kidd

David Robinson.

It was the time when you don't have to doubt who's going to win in the finals.

BillMc
06-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Nice post. Can't wait for tipoff.

z0sa
06-06-2013, 05:04 AM
This will be number 2 behind 03 for me.

Tim_duncan21
06-06-2013, 05:28 AM
2003 is number 1 for me as well then 2005 as a close 2nd. 99 as 3rd and this will be 4th if it indeed becomes ring#5

The Reckoning
06-06-2013, 05:39 AM
2003 tbh. old met the new.

Prime Time
06-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Considering the fact this is the only Spurs team I've seen in the finals, I'd have to agree.
But before this, 2005 was easily my favorite. I love how well rounded they were..... And nothing is more entertaining than Long Hair Manu! Sucks I missed out on that.

Marcus Bryant
06-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Hear, hear LJ.

therealtruth
06-06-2013, 06:31 AM
What I like about the '13 Spurs is that they have finally gone back to being a great defensive team. Pop finally committing to defense and Splitter has taken the team to the next level. Wish it could have happened sooner.

Leetonidas
06-06-2013, 06:47 AM
2003 was my favorite because of the emotion with David going out on top, Duncan cementing his legacy as an all-time great, and journeymen players like Willis and Massenburg ecstatic over finally getting a ring. Really a great ending to the Admiral's career also. But if they win the title this season this will be my favorite team. If they beat the Heat they are the best Spurs team ever.

Cane
06-06-2013, 06:55 AM
03's also my favorite because David Robinson is probably my favorite Spur still, and he went out with a ring

Hopefully this team will show as much heart and fight in the Finals as the other Finals Spurs squads

Spursmania
06-06-2013, 06:58 AM
This is a story waiting to be told. A legacy meant for the ages...and we're fortunate to be able to witness and live in this moment. Let's enjoy the ride and may the Spurs fulfill their destiny. This is their time! :flag:

Old School 44
06-06-2013, 07:57 AM
It's difficult for me to express how much I want the Spurs to win four more games. This would mean more than a championship. It'd be like the ultimate stamp of approval for this era or the final scene in a movie where good triumphs. History would say the Robinson-Duncan-Parker-Ginobili-Pop Spurs were damn good and they remained damn good for a damn long time. You can take their youth, you can take their athleticism, you can take their sustained health, you can take their stamina but you cannot take their fighting spirit or their willingness to believe in one another. That is forever. And it's what is powering the team today.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :toast

This is where I'm at with these Spurs. As much as fans say, "I don't care what anybody thinks about us, as long as we win championships!" I really think we all do care. This is it! The ultimate validation. The big stage, against the best team, with the best player. EVERYONE will be watching. Time to show them what they've been missing all these years. The shooting, the movement, the crisp passing, the defensive precision, the leadership, the true comradery of an amazing team - OUR San Antonio Spurs.

BELIEVE!

mosdef17
06-06-2013, 08:02 AM
vastly different to the thread timvp started before the Grizz series...

carina_gino20
06-06-2013, 08:08 AM
All I can say is, I can't remember wanting a title this badly (that said, I only started watching during the 2003 title run). But maybe that's just the spirit of the moment speaking.

I. Hustle
06-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Spurs gon git their
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/55377/fif-o.gif

BWS-1994
06-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Win or lose, I agree that this might just be a more emotional ride than 2003.

Keepin' it real
06-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Being a fan of this team has been an amazing ride ... even the last six seasons that ended in disappointment. ... And really, those disappointments make the here and now even sweeter.

It's all psychological. When the Spurs won 3 in 5 years, they met their expectation. Although we fans were happy when the Spurs won in '03, '05 and '07, we pretty much expected it because the Spurs were that good. (That's also why '04 and '06 hurt so badly.) Now after 6 years, I doubt anyone expected the Spurs to reach the Finals.

As a result, there's the palpable excitement that only comes from exceeding expectations, from going further than anyone thought possible. I'll be so nervous that I might throw up during pregame. Yup, this almost feels like going through a time warp back to 1999.

The Reckoning
06-06-2013, 08:38 AM
I'll be so nervous that I might throw up during pregame.

damn B that's dedication

rascal
06-06-2013, 08:48 AM
We won one for Glenn Robinson, Michael Finley, Steve Smith, Danny Ferry, Terry Porter and Kevin Willis. Why not win one for T-Mac, also if we lose I might seriously consider not watching basketball anymore after Duncan retires.

This is why the Spurs will move out of town when the lean years after Duncan come.

100%duncan
06-06-2013, 08:50 AM
"Heat in 5."

"Believe"

:lol timvp :lol

Spur-Addict
06-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Spurs gon git their
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/55377/fif-o.gif

:lol

Yes!!

Mugen
06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Also would be my favorite Spurs team ever if they manage to ring.

How you manage to make this post with your Spurs will get obliterated post within 8 hours is great tbh :lol

Phenomanul
06-06-2013, 09:13 AM
I hope this series doesn't solidify the changing of the guard... much like the Bulls besting the Lakers in 1991.

timtonymanu
06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
No Spurs team without Bruce Bowen will ever be my favorite Spurs team.

But winning this year will definitely be the sweetest, imo.

xmas1997
06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I am with them come win or heaven forbid, lose!

Dro210
06-06-2013, 09:42 AM
All I can say is, I can't remember wanting a title this badly (that said, I only started watching during the 2003 title run). But maybe that's just the spirit of the moment speaking.

I remember the early to mid 90's loses, and how much I wanted to win, but it was never that bad really when it didn't happen. I always thought we were awesome for winning the Midwest division and just having a good season and winning some in the playoffs. Maybe next year. For one, I was a kid, but I think it's the fact that we didn't know what it was like yet. Sure we wanted it, but we didn't know how awesome it REALLY was to actually do it. We just had dreams of it, it wasn't real yet. 2003 was big after the Laker 3peat, but it was only a 3 year drought, we knew we had a lot of years left in this run, and it was also a bit anti-climatic when actually taking place since there was really no doubt we would beat the Nets. After that, as a collective, Spurs fans didn't hope for a title, we expected it. Then 2010 and 2011 came, and those years made every single one of us realize just how close we are to the end of the Duncan era. We all realize how special this is and has been, and want just one more moment of glory. For us, our guys, our city. Add that to the fact that we came so close last yet and came up short, and I've definitely never wanted one so bad. I mean, I want this shit BAAAAD!

AFBlue
06-06-2013, 09:45 AM
That pic with David and Tim standing together after winning in '03 still gets me...just an awesome moment for two of the classiest players in NBA history. But, it wasn't my favorite team. I love this squad...dominant Tony, emerging Kawhi, hell even the towel-waving Mills. But, ultimately what makes this my favorite team is the resurgent Duncan showing true greatness and will to win. I'm hoping Manu shows in the Finals because his decline has been the only damper on this amazing season.

gameFACE
06-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah, this could be my favorite championship team if they pull it off. Or tied with the '05 team. No disrespect to Robinson, but even here in SA it seems as if Tim is underappreciated at times. If no championship in 99 (won because of Duncan) then possibly no new arena and Spurs are in Baltimore or St. Louis or wherever. People point to Robinson keeping the franchise here but forget Duncan did so as well. Plus he elevated the Spurs to a level no one could before. And I've been a fan since Gervin.

So to see Duncan where he is right now and playing the way he is this could be my favorite Spurs team ever. I was floored when I heard Tony's interview and what he wants to do for Tim because of what Tim did for his career. And I have a feeling Manu has something up his sleeve. Tim will be in the same elite class as a Russell or Chamberlain. To see him get a ring at this stage in his career would be legendary.

Ring No. 5!!!!

xellos88330
06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Great post op!!! Pretty much described my sentiments verbatim.

JR3
06-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Pumped! I feel exactly like Timvp. We are not playing for a championship. We are writing history in a major way. I bet I won't live long enough to see another small market team dominate like this. I'm 29.

SuperDave
06-06-2013, 10:44 AM
It has been an amazing ride. I really thought the window had closed, but here they are with a chance to win it all. Objectively, they face an uphill fight, but it would just be so dang fitting to get one last championship. Nothing else to do but believe.

I. Hustle
06-06-2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.crazie-talk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/033.jpg

TheChillFactor
06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
So your favorite spurs team is the one that's going to lose 4-1 in the Finals...

Brazil
06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Thing is this team is awesome for all the reasons LJ mentioned and already exceeded expectations in 2013.

Sad part is the number of players that are going to be thrown under the bus when the struggles will come during this finals. Same guys posting in this thread will then create the fuck Manu, TP, Bonner etc... threads. This will happen, I'm astonished by the overall confidence of Spurs fans in this serie, astonished. We go against the defending champ and the best player in the nba, probably one of the most dominant dude since a long time, we go there with an aging roster, Matt Bonner, Neal... and everybody is like we are going to take that in 5 or 6.

Haters will go HAM and one will be blamed for wasting Tim Duncan's last chance.

I'm preparing myself for a loss and hope for a win.

I was wrong about Memphis, I will eat again a delicious cow if Spurs win it.

Brazil
06-06-2013, 10:53 AM
So your favorite spurs team is the one that's going to lose 4-1 in the Finals...

why not ?

DAF86
06-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Thing is this team is awesome for all the reasons LJ mentioned and already exceeded expectations in 2013.

Sad part is the number of players that are going to be thrown under the bus when the struggles will come during this finals. Same guys posting in this thread will then create the fuck Manu, TP, Bonner etc... threads. This will happen, I'm astonished by the overall confidence of Spurs fans in this serie, astonished. We go against the defending champ and the best player in the nba, probably one of the most dominant dude since a long time, we go there with an aging roster, Matt Bonner, Neal... and everybody is like we are going to take that in 5 or 6.

Haters will go HAM and one will be blamed for wasting Tim Duncan's last chance.

I'm preparing myself for a loss and hope for a win.

I was wrong about Memphis, I will eat again a delicious cow if Spurs win it.

Well, count me in if we have to eat a delicious cow.

DisAsTerBot
06-06-2013, 10:55 AM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg221/cccchris007/Manu-Ginobili-scream-Thunder_zps14d98ae2.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/cccchris007/media/Manu-Ginobili-scream-Thunder_zps14d98ae2.jpg.html)

:flag: GET PUMPED!!!!!! :flag:

EVAY
06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
That is exactly how I feel about this team. The emotion is what has me rooting for us and hoping so hard. If it is not meant to be, I will be more disappointed than I have been in years. Not disappointed with the Spurs, but for the Spurs.

But if they win, it will be sweeter than any of the previous ones. I was lucky enough to be at some or all of the home games in the past championships. I will not be at any of these games. But if we win, I will be happier than at any of the others and will probably cry, which I have never done in a basketball game in my life. Never even considered it.

Solid D
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
It's difficult to pick a favorite. At this juncture, before the Finals have started, I would say the 1998-99 team and the 2004-05 team are my favorites. I'm excited with anticipation to see which role players will turn in a Jaren Jackson, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr or Rob Horry moment. Will Splitter offer special plays and moments like Fabri did in '07? This is a very, very special team, but it's an unfinished novel at the moment.

Brazil
06-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, count me in if we have to eat a delicious cow.

:lol except if she is mad

manufan10
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Seems like the perfect place to share this again:

ZWpb2djyvSQ

manufan10
06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
BELIEVE!

VHLzXy6fyc0

Budkin
06-06-2013, 01:13 PM

This. I told myself I wouldn't get attached to the idea of them winning it all like I did last year. It fucked my whole summer. But I'm kidding myself. I love this team just as much as all of us do. I believe. It just seems like destiny. The perfect setup. The perfect swansong. The perfect championship. It starts tonight. GO... SPURS... GO!

Maddog
06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
In 03 my eyes misted when Dave came out of the game for the final time.
If somehow, someway they pull this off- I'll probably actualy cry

This team is close to my favorite- might even be there.
Win or lose
As TMVP eloquently stated- this team should not even be here...

If we look at things logically, these Spurs shouldn't even be in this position. Tim Duncan is an age that he should be in a steep decline -- not putting up a per-minute prime season while being named to the All-NBA First Team. Manu Ginobili's style of play should have led him to an early retirement years ago. Speed point guards never last beyond age 30 -- much less peak after that age like Tony Parker is doing. Pop, at 64, has shown more energy and commitment to perfection this season than just about any season I can remember. Those four individuals should be on a glorified farewell tour, not standing with a legit chance to reach the mountain top in a few weeks.
Add in the fact that every winner since 07 has been way over the luxury cap with multiple lottery pick players, makes it even more remarkable.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOvBgmZXs5Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

phxspurfan
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
GSG...these Spurs have been around forever. To think I hsd just graduated middle school when they won their first ring. Wow.

byrontx
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
The 2014 Spurs Championship will be my favorite. The back-to-back.

Dex
06-06-2013, 07:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/G3Dhb92.jpg

Stringer_Bell
06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Tim Duncan's resolve in the final minutes of Game 5 in the 2009 Playoffs against Dallas brought me to this board...I had to find somewhere to share my admiration for him, and this site has been an awesome place for these last few years (although I've been absent these last few months). We shit the bed every season when things don't go the Spurs way, but deep down there's a belief that has remained that just won't let us give up on these guys.

Ride or muthafuckin' die for my Spurs, till the wheels fall off. LET'S GO!!! :toast