PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili foolish 3 again

Michael Spurs
06-06-2013, 11:10 PM
In the last minute,when we led by 5,Manu made a foolish long 3 shot again.Why the hell is he always doing such foolish things? I like Manu,but I can't tolerate him keeping behaving like that.:(:flag:Anyway,I'm happy we won.But I won't neglect that thing.

GO SPURS GO~~

lil'mo
06-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Shut up, chink

kaji157
06-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Because he was given the ball with 5 seconds i the clock. And in bad position, and we are tryig to avoid turnovers.

ffadicted
06-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I was more upset about the reach in foul on lebron tbh

Keepin' it real
06-06-2013, 11:14 PM
It was a bad shot. I couldn't believe he took it. But a good overall game. We'll take it.

Manudona
06-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Actually I think that Parkers hail mary was much worse than this, he was lucky it went in, but he dribbled for 24 seconds without purpose...

DesignatedT
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
It probably won't be the last one either. How long you been watching Manu son?

Creation88
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
it was a horrible shot....just idiotic

BackHome
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah it was a bad shot just glad it didn't cost us the game. I will take the win and be Happy...:)

timmy2003
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
he should've tried to drive to the basket

GaryJohnston
06-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Its what Manu does....take the bad with the awesome. But the clock was winding down tbh

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
06-06-2013, 11:18 PM
if ray allen makes that shot heat would have won tbh... Danny green is one lucky muthafker , STUPID ass foul tho that could have cost us the game.

DAF86
06-06-2013, 11:19 PM
How many seconds were left on the shot-clock?

SpursRock20
06-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Pretty bad shot. But Gary Neal had two worse ones imo. He shot from 30+ feet, and he shot a 3 on a 3 on 1 fastbreak :bang

tuncaboylu
06-06-2013, 11:21 PM
There was 12 seconds remaining in shot clock. It was a very bad shot and it was not the only mistake

He fouled Lebron when 32 second remaining and Lebron was struggling with the ball.

But he's Manu. I love him with this and that. He played very solid tonight except those mistakes.

timmy2003
06-06-2013, 11:22 PM
How many seconds were left on the shot-clock?
More than enough to drive to the basket

Invision
Manu being Manu. It is what it is

E20
Ginobili overall had a solid game. His passing opened up a lot only one bad shot I can live with that.

Mr. Body
06-06-2013, 11:23 PM
When Miami's defense stouts up at the end of games, they're incredibly tough. The last possessions were all pretty bad.

siraulo23
06-06-2013, 11:25 PM
i thought the spurs made a considerable amount of mistakes in the 4th including manu's three

but they pulled it out, gutsy win

MmP
06-06-2013, 11:26 PM
I think Manu played fairly well, but that 3 and the reach on Lebron was really bonehead plays. Manu needs to step up. He played a very good half IMHO, but the second one he had stretches. Although I loved that confident 3 that he hit.

OldSilentHill
06-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Because he was given the ball with 5 seconds i the clock. And in bad position, and we are tryig to avoid turnovers.

But he is right.

The 5 seconds left was because he was holding the ball for too long and not side-moving to get a pass.

And this comes from a Manu-fan.

freetiago
06-06-2013, 11:29 PM
there were 12 seconds on the clock left
his foul on Lebron was horrible also with 30 seconds left

his overall game was great though
i was hoping that he just wasnt driving so he didnt hurt himself
and he attacked the rim a lot tonight so maybe that is why he wasnt driving a lot
and his passing was really good
could have easily been a blowout if Leonard/Green hit those corner 3s he was feeding them

Hemotivo
But he is right.

The 5 seconds left was because he was holding the ball for too long and not side-moving to get a pass.

not true

DAF86
More than enough to drive to the basket

Doubt it. Maybe he just didn't have it on his legs to drive it and thought that shot was better than trying a drive with dead legs and maybe turn it over. Thta shot with 14 seconds on the clock is a bad shot. That shot with around 5 seconds left isn't a good shot but it isn't a bad one either.

Hemotivo
06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
there were 12 seconds on the clock left
his foul on Lebron was horrible also with 30 seconds left

his overall game was great though
i was hoping that he just wasnt driving so he didnt hurt himself
and he attacked the rim a lot tonight so maybe that is why he wasnt driving a lot
and his passing was really good
could have easily been a blowout if Leonard/Green hit those corner 3s he was feeding them

yep

DAF86
06-06-2013, 11:31 PM
But he is right.

And this comes from a Manu-fan.

Not true, Timmy throwed a high inacurate pass that Manu had to grab by jumping, then he looked at the shot clock and decided to let it fly before forcing another thing that could have turned into a worst decision.

People are way too quick at picking on Manu lately.

Floyd Pacquiao
that reach in foul was typical manu lol live by the sword and die by the sword

I'm just glad he only had one turnover. But yeah, that shot and foul were pretty bad, good thing it didn't matter. Just hope he plays smarter.

GSH
06-06-2013, 11:33 PM

LeBron made a shot with 1:51 left. Manu jacked his 3 at the 1:37 mark. That's 14 seconds. There were 10 seconds left on the shot clock when he took that shot. It was just a bad decision. Manu giveth, and Manu taketh away. But he giveth a lot more.

But there are certain times that are more costly. That was really a bad time for that shot.

timmy2003
I think Manu played fairly well, but that 3 and the reach on Lebron was really bonehead plays. Manu needs to step up. He played a very good half IMHO, but the second one he had stretches. Although I loved that confident 3 that he hit.

He made a couple of huge 3 pointers.

Hemotivo
I'm just glad he only had one turnover. But yeah, that shot and foul were pretty bad, good thing it didn't matter. Just hope he plays smarter.

smarter than tonight? really?

Pound the rock
06-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Time was running out, he had to jack it up, I'm not mad at him.

BatManu20
06-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Manu and Danny Green both making DUMB plays down the stretch.. can't have that. Purposely giving Spurs fans grey hair tbh.

lil'mo
06-06-2013, 11:35 PM
some "spurs fans" are just plain stupid. Most especially the ones who have only been watch for a few years/months. They give themselves away instantly :lol

OldSilentHill
Not true, Timmy throwed a high inacurate pass that Manu had to grab by jumping, then he looked at the shot clock and decided to let it fly before forcing another thing that could have turned into a worst decision.

People are way too quick at picking on Manu lately.

Maybe i have another missed 3 on my mind?

tesseractive
Actually I think that Parkers hail mary was much worse than this, he was lucky it went in, but he dribbled for 24 seconds without purpose...
The purpose was to run the clock out on the Heat and protect the lead. The basket was just the clincher on top of that.

lil'mo
06-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Manu and Danny Green both making DUMB plays down the stretch.. can't have that. Purposely giving Spurs fans grey hair tbh.

You're one of the biggest culprits :lmao

bro you don't know shit about basketball :td

emanueldavidginobili
06-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Who fucking cares we just won game one of the NBA finals!! And your making a thread about a bad shot.....GET THE FUCK OUT!!!!

Hemotivo
06-06-2013, 11:37 PM
You're one of the biggest culprits :lmao

bro you don't know shit about basketball :td

Budkin
06-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Green made a huge shot and then immediately gave it away... that would have been a disaster.

Michael Spurs
06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes,although he made that foolish shot,he played a nice game overall~and I still love him :blah
:flag:

DejuanorwhatDude
06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
You can't be upset with the Lebron foul. Make Lebron earn it from the line. if he misses ANY FTs he's gonna be the GOAT and that will affect him the whole series.

ElNono
06-06-2013, 11:41 PM
it was an ok shot from a broken play, looking for the dagger... what we really need to be talking about is the stupid foul by Verde on Allen... THAT was a stupid play...

lefty
06-06-2013, 11:45 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2733207/manumagic.gif

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Manu's body can't do what his brain wants it to any more, so he does stupid things like that 3. Frustrates the shit out of us all, but as others have said, you take the good with the bad.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-06-2013, 11:49 PM

Yeah, when that pass happened I was definitely thinking "how the fuck did he get that through?" :lol

jbspurs
06-06-2013, 11:51 PM
IMO, I think it's not a bad shot, just a low percentage shot. Bad shot was like the one he took against GSW with a lot of time left.

DMC
06-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Wow Bonner got real minutes in a Finals game and we won.

Pound the rock
06-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Leave Justin, er uh, I mean Manu alone!!!

moisaenz
06-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Yeah, when that pass happened I was definitely thinking "how the fuck did he get that through?" :lol
It bent like a soccer pass

SpurOutofTownFan
06-06-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm so fucking tired of manu haters. Shut your mouth bitch

InK
06-07-2013, 12:15 AM
That wasnt a horrible shot, but that foul, that foul was idiotic. We dont need Parker heroics, if Manu doesnt foul there. was a horrible horrible play by Manu

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-07-2013, 12:16 AM
There was 11 on the shot clock when Manu took that. Love Manu but that was a terrible shot.

Darius McCrary
06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Ginobili overall had a solid game. His passing opened up a lot only one bad shot I can live with that.

This post is only worth anything because of the hilariousness of the signature.

slick'81
06-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Agreed shades of dat horrible jumper v the warriors.still ginobili looked better attacking the rim tonight

Darius McCrary
06-07-2013, 12:21 AM

Did we Even score on that possession? Amazing pass...Manu authored many amazing passes to Bonner in the 2nd Q. I don't think any amounted to points :depressed :lol

testies
06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
He also got a crucial 3 when Heat were escaping out of reach and had psychological advantage

Spur|n|Austin
06-07-2013, 12:24 AM

Hail Mary? What the heck else was he supposed to do with the shot running down?

Did we Even score on that possession? Amazing pass...Manu authored many amazing passes to Bonner in the 2nd Q. I don't think any amounted to points
:depressed:lol

:lol they didn't, and I remember by the 3rd one I was thinking "Manu, just stop. Use those passes for TD or Tiago".

Manudona
06-07-2013, 01:46 AM
Hail Mary? What the heck else was he supposed to do with the shot running down?

He shouldn't have been in the position to need to do that shot to begin with, he just dribbled for 23.9 seconds, as someone said, the purpose was to kill time, but you do try to have an exit strategy.

pikkiwoki
06-07-2013, 03:28 AM
:wow

fIoPkUAGYiQ

:lmao :rollin :lmao

good ol' manu!

100%duncan
06-07-2013, 03:37 AM
Manu had a great game. But I don't know how anyone here can defend him for that shot. That was horrible.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2013, 03:47 AM
:lmao

I thought Manu was fairly solid but some of the takes in this thread defending that shot are fucking hilarious. Can't just say it was a bad shot. Instead take shots at Green and (LOL!) Parker. Hilarious.

nkdlunch
06-07-2013, 03:50 AM
Manu is sucking overall

but he is still getting rebound and causing havoc

we don't win without Manu

he's just doing whatever he can short from taking his shoes off and throwing them at the shooters

:tu Manu

50Bestspurever
06-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Manu giveth Manu taketh. That is life with Manu. It sux sometimes but that's the way it is. If u wanna criticize him, don't. Just shut the fuck up and be thankful he is a spur and u saw him play for the mighty silver and black.

unforeseen
06-07-2013, 05:48 AM
I almost fell off my couch when I saw him launching that long 3-pointer. Wrong shot too early into the 24-second shot clock.

Capt Bringdown
06-07-2013, 06:24 AM
A bad shot and stupid foul. That's what we've come to expect from Manu. Hey, at least he didn't turn it over or get injured.

GSH
06-07-2013, 06:27 AM
I had to have screamed "GET THAT MOTHERFUCKER OUT OF THE GAME" about, literally, 50 times in rapid succession.

It's 4 am in Los Angeles when you posted this. I'm starting to think you really are Charlie Sheen.

SenorSpur
06-07-2013, 07:45 AM
It's unfathomable how such a smart guy can keep making such dumb basketball decisions.

wut
06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
The guy is going for dagger 3s, it's what he does...and you would all be praising him for a ballsy 3 pointer that ended the game, if he had made it. It wasn't even an airball...he had his legs on him last night, so I like the attempt.

Manu has benefited from the time off, I'm telling you don't count him out, he is going to be big in this series.

TMTTRIO
06-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Manu's been making horrible decisions that are almost so unlike him this year. Yes Manu is Manu and he will make bad decisions but even this is so unlike him especially in clutch time. I wonder if all the injuries have gotten in his head and has affected him mentally and his decision making.

TJastal
06-07-2013, 08:18 AM
The guy is going for dagger 3s, it's what he does...and you would all be praising him for a ballsy 3 pointer that ended the game, if he had made it. It wasn't even an airball...he had his legs on him last night, so I like the attempt.

Manu has benefited from the time off, I'm telling you don't count him out, he is going to be big in this series.

+1

It's just how Manu plays. If he sees an opportunity and is feeling it he'll go for the kill. Strange how people bitch incessantly about that and ignore when Neal chucks up a 3 on a fast break with superior numbers. That's far less forgiveable, IMO. Manu would find the open man in a situation like that for an easy layup 100 out of 100 times where Neal takes that ill advised 3 ball 90 out of 100 times.

SA210
06-07-2013, 08:22 AM
It goes in and everyone is happy

bklynspursfan
06-07-2013, 08:22 AM
It's what he does. He hit 2 3's already and maybe felt he had it going. Imagine if that shot goes in, and how many times has he hit a big shot? It wasn't as bad as the GS game. I know why he did it, and some won't agree, but......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFU-wXsRhic

TD 21
06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Can't believe I haven't heard a single mention of this publicly. This is why the Heat would have been in position to tie or hit a game winner, if not for Parker's miraculous shot. The game should have been over after Green's back breaking three and his ridiculous, hero shot, damn near cost them again.

ElNono
06-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Can't believe I haven't heard a single mention of this publicly. This is why the Heat would have been in position to tie or hit a game winner, if not for Parker's miraculous shot. The game should have been over after Green's back breaking three and his ridiculous, hero shot, damn near cost them again.

uh? Green fouling a 3 point shooter (who actually clanked the shot, luckily) was the *sole* reason the Heat got a shot at the end of the game.

Like most intelligent posters have pointed out here, it was a clean look looking for a dagger, and if it goes down we have 20 threads about super manu instead of this garbage.

We had a 5 point lead when he took it and there was 1:36 to go in the game. Making it an 8 point game at that point just closes out the game.

TD 21
06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
uh? Green fouling a 3 point shooter (who actually clanked the shot, luckily) was the *sole* reason the Heat got a shot at the end of the game.

Like most intelligent posters have pointed out here, it was a clean look looking for a dagger, and if it goes down we have 20 threads about super manu instead of this garbage.

We had a 5 point lead when he took it and there was 1:36 to go in the game. Making it an 8 point game at that point just closes out the game.

Actually, the two in conjunction were responsible for it. But it wasn't a "clean look" at all. I believe it was Miller, who's 6-8, that was contesting it and it was from way beyond the arc, with more than enough time that a desperation heave wasn't necessary. Whether it went down or not is largely irrelevant. The reality is, it was a terrible, selfish shot and it contributed to damn near costing them the biggest game they've played in 8 years.

If you had an ounce of objectivity in you, you wouldn't argue otherwise.

DarrinS
06-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Meh, if he makes it, this thread doesn't exist. We aren't beating the Heat without him, so F-off with the hate already.

ElNono
06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Actually, the two in conjunction were responsible for it. But it wasn't a "clean look" at all. I believe it was Miller, who's 6-8, that was contesting it and it was from way beyond the arc, with more than enough time that a desperation heave wasn't necessary. Whether it went down or not is largely irrelevant. The reality is, it was a terrible, selfish shot and it contributed to damn near costing them the biggest game they've played in 8 years.

If you had an ounce of objectivity in you, you wouldn't argue otherwise.

I've watched the play many times... here, let's put some images to it so we don't have to 'recall' anything...

- Pop calls the play, Tony looking at him, start of the possession:
http://i43.tinypic.com/ay0dx0.png

- Tim is trailing, but catches up and starts directing traffic:
http://i39.tinypic.com/aey7ie.png

The play is a Tim/Tony pick and roll, with Green being the designated shooter in the weak-side corner.
- Green sets a pick on Tim to get Allen on the move and closer to the middle:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vbo3u9.png

- Then Tim runs the pick & roll with Tony (with Bosh showing, as Miami normally defends this):
http://i39.tinypic.com/2vmzdz7.png

- The result is Tim in the middle. But Green hasn't gotten to his spot yet, and Kawhi is covered by Lebron.
http://i42.tinypic.com/fthswo.png

- Tim waits a bit and picks up his dribble when the defense collapses. Green is asking for the ball, but Allen is in the way:
http://i39.tinypic.com/90w13a.png

- So Tim throws an awful pass back out, to Manu who has to jump to get actual control of the ball (Manu actually fakes a pass to Green at that point, but doesn't release because he sees Allen closing):
http://i40.tinypic.com/14j2at2.png

- By the time Manu has the ball, the entire Miami defense has reset, everyone is in place and the play is effectively broken:
http://i40.tinypic.com/352r7rr.png

- When Manu decides to shoot, everyone is covered and looking at Manu, nobody is asking for the ball, Tim isn't coming to set a screen and Miller is actually giving him plenty of room to take the shot:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ptrqyh.png

- Manu set his feet and shoots:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2m4ykgn.png

In short:
- The actual play called was broken
- Miller was giving Manu ample room for a clean shot
- There were only 11 secs on the clock with the entire Miami D in place, no mismatches
- Manu took a fairly good shot, it was certainaly far from a "desperation heave"
- He took it, at most, 3 feet away from the 3pt line. Makeable shot.

Normally, the barometer to know if it was a bad shot or not, is simply by just looking at Pop's reaction. He didn't even flinch after that shot.

Now that we dispelled the myths, maybe we can put this to rest.

Oh, and give Miami credit. They defended that as well as you could possibly can.

StoneBuddha
06-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I love Manu but taking a shot 2.5 feet behind the 3 point line with 11 seconds left on the shot clock is definitely a bad shot. It's saying something about our high expectations about Manu and our loyalty to him that some are arguing that wasn't a bad shot.

I'm just happy for the win though. :flag:

ElNono
06-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm not knocking on people that think it's a bad shot, tbh... that's entirely opinion based. What is completely asinine is to say the shot was "why the Heat would have been in position to tie or hit a game winner"...

The Spurs did a lot of shitty things through the first three quarters to focus on one shot. Conversely, they did a lot of good stuff in the 4th to win the game.

SpurPadre
06-07-2013, 09:40 PM
As others have mentioned, the shot clock was winding down and it was a broken play. And I'd rather have a future hall of famer who can shoot the three make that attempt than Neal's constantly ill-advised shot selection.

mabrignani
06-07-2013, 11:48 PM
yes this was the main screw up of the game, that play led to a transition 3pt shot by ray allen in which he was fouled

Sean Cagney
06-08-2013, 12:29 AM

Parker had to put that up and he was trapped by Lebron, it was in no way shape or form worse than a damn 30 foot 3pt jumper that HAD NO CHANCE in hell of going in. LOL Much worse, just because you are argie doesn't mean you can pull that crap saying Parkers was much worse when it went in and Manus went clank badly.
yes this was the main screw up of the game, that play led to a transition 3pt shot by ray allen in which he was fouled

It seems that when Manu does some crap like that towards the end something happens on the other end that makes you shake your head even worse and make you say what a damn sequence and FUCK damnit shit...... All in one.

In short:
- There were only 11 secs on the clock with the entire Miami D in place, no mismatches
- Manu took a fairly good shot, it was certainaly far from a "desperation heave"

Normally, the barometer to know if it was a bad shot or not, is simply by just looking at Pop's reaction. He didn't even flinch after that shot.

Oh, and give Miami credit. They defended that as well as you could possibly can.

There was 11 seconds left not one or two for Gods sakes! D set or not you can get a better than that SO CALLED GOOD shot you said, that was a shot that had no chance in hell of going in once he launched it, Manu this year doesn't make that shot. This was a makeable shot I guess but you could have gotten alot better or tried to drive in and get fouled atleast? That Manu is gone though so we have to settle with jump shooting Manu alot late in games and ill advised threes that hardly ever go in. He made on this postseason I remember really that when he launched it I was like make it pleaseeeeeeee! Game one Warriors. Make it please is what we have been reduced to now, when he launches it we pray it goes in! You know it and I know it. This was not a good shot with 11 seconds left on the shot, not even close.
As others have mentioned, the shot clock was winding down and it was a broken play. And I'd rather have a future hall of famer who can shoot the three make that attempt than Neal's constantly ill-advised shot selection.

There was 11 seconds left on the shot clock, not one or two! 11 is almost half of the 24 second shot, thats winding down?

DOS CHAINZ
06-08-2013, 12:41 AM
12 secs is enough time to call for an iso & parker takes wade away from the ball & leave Manu 1 on 1 with room against Miller & his fked up back

Agloco
06-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Manu needed to recognize that Miller was still on him, and as such he had the slowest defender on the court in between him and the cup. With eleven seconds on the shot clock he needed to initiate one of his classic breakneck drives to the hoop. It's plays like this that make me nervous about Manu. His ratio of good plays to bad plays has narrowed substantially of late and it's on the verge of biting the Spurs in the ass. That said, I think his performance in Game 1 overall was good. He was aggressive and didn't commit his usual compliment of boneheaded turnovers. If he can keep his game clean, that alone will help more than his shooting imo. Hopefully he has 2-3 great games in him. I still think we will need them in order to win the series.

ElNono
06-08-2013, 01:03 AM
There was 11 seconds left not one or two for Gods sakes! D set or not you can get a better than that SO CALLED GOOD shot you said, that was a shot that had no chance in hell of going in once he launched it, Manu this year doesn't make that shot. This was a makeable shot I guess but you could have gotten alot better or tried to drive in and get fouled atleast? That Manu is gone though so we have to settle with jump shooting Manu alot late in games and ill advised threes that hardly ever go in. He made on this postseason I remember really that when he launched it I was like make it pleaseeeeeeee! Game one Warriors. Make it please is what we have been reduced to now, when he launches it we pray it goes in! You know it and I know it. This was not a good shot with 11 seconds left on the shot, not even close.

Sean, you're extra emo per the usual, but you're a good fella and I have no problem if you thought he shouldn't have taken that shot.

Fact is, this one of those rare games where Manu was actually shooting pretty well from downtown. He was 2-4 up to that point.

What's more, the Heat is a very solid defensive team. We 'wasted' 14 secs on the clock on a solid, well thought out and executed offensive play, and we ended up with with the exact same result as Manu shooting that 3: nothing.

As a reference, look at that clutch shot by Tony. He burned down the clock exactly until 11 secs too. Then we went to execute. Was it the play we wanted? No. Were we extremely lucky to even get a shot up? Absolutely.

So you need to put things in perspective here. We're not playing the Warriors or D-League Lakers anymore. We're playing against one of the top, if not the very best, defensive team in the league. So yeah, executing anything with 11 secs left, and after a broken play it's difficult.

Ultimately, that's why Pop puts the ball in Tony's and Manu's hand (Manu was actually handed the ball in the play right after, the high pick and roll with Tim where he was fouled). When our offensive shit breaks up, they're the two guys that either have the big balls to take the big shot, or make lemonade out of a lemon play.

Now, while I disagree that was "ill advised" or "hardly ever go in", that's your opinion and that's fine by me.

What's plain bullshit is to say that shot had any bearing on the Heat closing down the lead late in the game, IMO. We had a fairly poor first half defensively, some big mistakes like that Allen 3 pointer foul, etc that are much, much bigger than a single shot. That's all.

2centsworth
06-08-2013, 01:18 AM

exactly how Manu plays. He was playing well enough to go for the throat.

2centsworth
06-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Sean, you're extra emo per the usual, but you're a good fella and I have no problem if you thought he shouldn't have taken that shot.

Fact is, this one of those rare games where Manu was actually shooting pretty well from downtown. He was 2-4 up to that point.

What's more, the Heat is a very solid defensive team. We 'wasted' 14 secs on the clock on a solid, well thought out and executed offensive play, and we ended up with with the exact same result as Manu shooting that 3: nothing.

As a reference, look at that clutch shot by Tony. He burned down the clock exactly until 11 secs too. Then we went to execute. Was it the play we wanted? No. Were we extremely lucky to even get a shot up? Absolutely.

So you need to put things in perspective here. We're not playing the Warriors or D-League Lakers anymore. We're playing against one of the top, if not the very best, defensive team in the league. So yeah, executing anything with 11 secs left, and after a broken play it's difficult.

Ultimately, that's why Pop puts the ball in Tony's and Manu's hand (Manu was actually handed the ball in the play right after, the high pick and roll with Tim where he was fouled). When our offensive shit breaks up, they're the two guys that either have the big balls to take the big shot, or make lemonade out of a lemon play.

Now, while I disagree that was "ill advised" or "hardly ever go in", that's your opinion and that's fine by me.

What's plain bullshit is to say that shot had any bearing on the Heat closing down the lead late in the game, IMO. We had a fairly poor first half defensively, some big mistakes like that Allen 3 pointer foul, etc that are much, much bigger than a single shot. That's all.

Too much logic.

jhuan16
06-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Yeah He should pass it back to TP, there is plenty of time to let he do his thing. But that wasn't as terrible as the warrior shot. The spacing was all wrong when Manu catch the ball, heat got two defender in the paint which make it really hard to attack the paint.

Sean Cagney
06-08-2013, 02:39 AM

Look I have no problem with the shot if it were just above the line! With less than 11 seconds to go! You can not deny Manu has been bad these playoffs % wise and some of his shots make you shake your damn head! He has been infact flat out horrible % wise these playoffs but I will still take him as he made the biggest shot of the playoffs so far in game one VS GS! That is the biggest shot of these playoffs so far! PERIOD! I love Manu! BUT I wish he would drive more like he used to and get fouled or get a layup! I hate the strictly jump shooting version of him! I guess he is too old now to drive so what we get is what we get! I miss the older Manu who would go to the rack and get fouled or lay it in! That one seems so long ago now.
Too much logic.

Yes I agree logic there bro, but a 30 foot three with 11 seconds to go on the clock when there is time to work it around is logic too! Saying he could have passed that up and and tried to drive in and get fouled or passed it to another player to get a closer look is logic too! That shot was horrible! No way that was going in there. Manu has done that alot lately and I miss the one who could actually drive in and draw a damn foul and get to the line or lay it in! I guess that Manu has sailed though and we get what we get now! Which is about 10 pts and 4 rebounds and 6 assists and 4 turnovers or so! I love Manu but he has some of the dumbest plays you will see at times! I realize he was always a gambler and I love that, but nowadays it is often making you shake your damn head and say wtf was he thinking at times and it is almost making you lose a game. He hit that huge shot against GSW and I love that! Otherwise he has been bad these playoffs for the most part, period.

If we are to win he has to do better % wise! Better shot selection, period. We need you Manu! We need him to win a title this year and he will be key believe it or not! If you launch idiot shots that have no shot at all at going in though, forget it.

ElNono
06-08-2013, 03:07 AM
Look I have no problem with the shot if it were just above the line! With less than 11 seconds to go! You can not deny Manu has been bad these playoffs % wise and some of his shots make you shake your damn head! He has been infact flat out horrible % wise these playoffs but I will still take him as he made the biggest shot of the playoffs so far in game one VS GS! That is the biggest shot of these playoffs so far! PERIOD! I love Manu! BUT I wish he would drive more like he used to and get fouled or get a layup! I hate the strictly jump shooting version of him! I guess he is too old now to drive so what we get is what we get! I miss the older Manu who would go to the rack and get fouled or lay it in! That one seems so long ago now.

I feel you. I thought that bad 3 he took against the Warriors was rightfully awful (the one before the game-winner). I just disagree this was was anything like that one though. It's also much different when you drive against Carl Landry vs having Lebron waiting for you at the rack. You're also on the road, where it's tougher to get calls (Lebron couldn't stop whining after the foul on Tim in the play right after).

IMO, the decision was as close to a no-brainer as it gets: broken play, Miami amping up the defense, your defender sagging, everybody covered. This wasn't a shot with the game on the line (you know, the game within one possession). It was a shot to break their backs, put the game away, light at the end of the tunnel, glory days, fat lady sang, riding into the sunset, chickens come home to roost, witten no helmet, etc etc etc... it was going to be the 'big shot' before the actual 'big shot'. And you have to have the balls to take it, and also face up the consequences of not making it (which I guess is this thread).

To me, the big difference is that when Manu took that 3 pointer against the Warriors, Tony was mad as hell. Pop wanted to trade him on the spot. There were no such reactions this time around. I think everybody understood why that shot was taken. When the next timeout happened, it wasn't the guys telling Manu "stop chucking". It was Tim telling Green "don't foul 3 point shooters"...

Manudona
06-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Parker had to put that up and he was trapped by Lebron, it was in no way shape or form worse than a damn 30 foot 3pt jumper that HAD NO CHANCE in hell of going in. LOL Much worse, just because you are argie doesn't mean you can pull that crap saying Parkers was much worse when it went in and Manus went clank badly.

Look at the video, Manu frees himself with more than 3 seconds and then Green moves to the back of Parker with a little over a second, so Parker could have passed instead of keep dribbling with Lebron all over him as you said, but this is the last I say, it is not important as the Spurs won anyways.

Raven
06-08-2013, 12:50 PM
you leave manu alone on the three, he's going to shoot, no matter what his balance is and no matter how much is left on the clock. If he starts second guessing those shots, he'll start hesitating when it matters and none wants that.

Obstructed_View
06-08-2013, 01:30 PM
If Manu was black nona yall wud be hatin.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Gotta keep things unpredictable. That's what his game is about. It's been that way for a decade.

Sean Cagney
06-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Gotta keep things unpredictable. That's what his game is about. It's been that way for a decade.

Yep, too bad he doesn't have his legs like he did in 05 and hardly makes that shot anymore though.
you leave manu alone on the three, he's going to shoot, no matter what his balance is and no matter how much is left on the clock. If he starts second guessing those shots, he'll start hesitating when it matters and none wants that.
In a game late I would rather him pass than shoot a three 3 feet behind the line and have the team off and running the other way. He has done that alot this year late in games (That one went in luckily).
Look at the video, Manu frees himself with more than 3 seconds and then Green moves to the back of Parker with a little over a second, so Parker could have passed instead of keep dribbling with Lebron all over him as you said, but this is the last I say, it is not important as the Spurs won anyways.
Parker made the shot though so who cares? Manus shot with 11 seconds left from 3 feet behind the line never was going to go in. Thats just a horrible shot.

One made it one missed, we are talking bad about the one that made it now? Why is this always a Parker vs Manu thing with Argies? I noticed that ALOT :ihit

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Dude it's Ginobili. Over the years he has proven to be clutch. Quit bitching.

TheCultOfPersonality
06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
It was a terrible shot because he had Mike Miller, one of the worst defensive players in the NBA this century, guarding him and he decided to settle for a long 3 pointer.

Mike Miller in the prime of his career was getting beat off the dribble by the likes of Mike Dunleavy Jr. I'm sure Ginobili can do the same thing to this version of Mike Miller.

z0sa
06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
this sean cagney fool use more exclamation marks than harlemheat uses ellipses

Baseline
06-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Actually, in these playoffs, Manu's decision making down the stretch has been scary. The game winning three against GS was sweet, but I think it might have heightened Manu's expectations a bit much.

Baam
06-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Actually, in these playoffs, Manu's decision making down the stretch has been scary. The game winning three against GS was sweet, but I think it might have heightened Manu's expectations a bit much.

Yeah I agree, the stupid fouls may be worse than the Westbrook 3s, two fouls on Tony Allen could have cost us two games and he also fouled Bronbron with 30s left in the game when there was no need to, sending him to the line with plenty of time left.

Capster
06-08-2013, 04:35 PM
it was a horrible shot....just idiotic

yea well, sometimes he gets lucky....!

TD 21
06-09-2013, 05:02 PM
In short:

"Only 11 secs"? That's plenty of time and with a lead footed defender like Miller on him, he should have given him a ball fake and blown past. Instead, he fired a desperation heave, as if the clock was down to the waning seconds.

"Makeable shot" isn't good enough with 11 on the clock. High percentage is what he should have been looking for. Even had he just killed another 9-10 seconds and had to throw up a wild shot at the buzzer, that's 9-10 less seconds for the Heat to work with and that's presuming they even get the rebound, which is not exactly their strength.

gnsf0946
06-09-2013, 05:13 PM
i wouldn't mind it if it wasn't for the 11 seconds on the clock, in whatever position he was i think he could've easily just dribble the ball for 10 more seconds or so and then take the same shot

Spur Bank
06-09-2013, 05:30 PM
This excerpt from Zach Lowe's excellent SportVU article explains why it was a good shot.

The analytics team is unanimous, and rather emphatic, that every team should shoot more 3s — including the Raptors and even the Rockets, who are on pace to break the NBA record for most 3-point attempts in a season.

"When you ask coaches what's better between a 28 percent 3-point shot and a 42 percent midrange shot, they'll say the 42 percent shot," Rucker says. "And that's objectively false. It's wrong. If LeBron James just jacked a 3 on every single possession, that'd be an exceptionally good offense. That's a conversation we've had with our coaching staff, and let's just say they don't support that approach.

The coaches aren't even close to being onboard with such a 3-happy philosophy yet. "To have guys who shoot 3s that can't break that 35 percent break-even point, you have to really evaluate that," Sterner says.

A much better and more thorough explanation is at the link below. It's a must-read for anyone interested in basketball analytics.

Link: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9068903/the-toronto-raptors-sportvu-cameras-nba-analytical-revolution

urunobili
06-09-2013, 06:32 PM
He should have given the ball to Parker tbh