PDA

View Full Version : ABA to name division after Gervin

Kori Ellis
07-13-2005, 11:14 PM
ABA to name division after Gervin
07/13/05 - American Basketball Association (ABA)

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association today announced that the ninth of its ten divisions would be named the George Gervin Division after the former ABA/NBA legend. Joe Newman, ABA CEO, stated, "It's fitting that the George Gervin Division will include San Antonio, where the Iceman dazzled fans for so many years and where he now resides. There were few better players than George Gervin - and we were even fortunate to have him as a coach in the ABA in the first season."

George Gervin was described as smooth, graceful, creative and unstopable. He was one of basketball's most electrifhying and scintillating players, a talent that doesn't often grace the hardwood. Gervin played professionally with the ABA Virginia Squires in 1972-74, with the ABA/NBA San Antonio Spurs from 74-85 and with the Chicago Bulls in 85-86. He was a 12-time consecutive ABA/NBA All Star, an NBA All-Star MVP, and joined Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain as the only players to win four or more NBA scoring titles with a career average of 26.2 points per game, scoring 26,595 points. His college career at Eastern Michigan was equally illustrious; his #24 jersey there was retired as was his #44 San Antonio Spurs jersey. George was inducted into the San Antonio Sports Hall of Fame. He founded the George Gervin Youth Center, Inc, a non-profit organization focusing on the development of disadvantaged "at-risk" youth in 1989 and it is going strong still today.

Dex
07-13-2005, 11:38 PM
10 divisions? Damn.

How do they even keep track of them all? :lol

Timoha
07-13-2005, 11:40 PM
O.k. I hate to ask this. I thought that the ABA changed to the NBA and it was the end of that. Am I missing something?

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-13-2005, 11:44 PM
The ABA was a counter league to the NBA, it was like the not as smart but cooler brother to the NBA.

The ABA had to fold and the NBA allowed 4 teams into the league. SA, NJ, Den, and Indy.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2005, 11:46 PM
O.k. I hate to ask this. I thought that the ABA changed to the NBA and it was the end of that. Am I missing something?

There's a current ABA league and it has a San Antonio team. That's what division the article is referencing - The San Antonio Stallions.

http://www.sastallions.com/

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-14-2005, 12:02 AM
There's a current ABA league and it has a San Antonio team. That's what division the article is referencing - The San Antonio Stallions.

Kori, do you know if they're doing well? Attendance wise.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't really know anything about it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2005, 12:21 AM
I think it'd sound cooler if it was something like "The Ice Division".

George Gervin Division doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

slayermin
07-14-2005, 01:42 AM
ICE deserves it.

spurster
07-14-2005, 08:29 AM
"Ice Division" doesn't sound quite right for a division that includes San Antonio. How about "Brake Check Division".

Tobias
07-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Has anyone else in SA even heard of the Stallions before? I sure haven't.

CubanMustGo
07-14-2005, 09:48 AM

Man, that is one UGLY logo. Looks like a blindfolded horse.

There's a "tryout form" on the top page, it looks like they are just getting things started. July 17th for all you guys shootin' hoops at TU. :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2005, 09:55 AM
So the spurs are still payin royalties to the former owners of the original ABA team due to that agreement or sumshit. Why should they keep on payin when there is an ABA san antonio team?

What would happen if Holt and the owners rellocated to another area or city, do they still have to pay royalties to the former owners of the spurs when it was part of ABA?

alamo50
07-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Awesome!
What a great way to pay tribute to the Iceman.