PDA

View Full Version : Okay guys, official WTF Gary Neal 22 minutes thread.....

Darius McCrary
06-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Averaged:

19.3 minutes LAL series
15.3 minutes GSW series
12.8 minutes MEM series

22 minutes tonight. Defended Ray Allen primarily.
Stats:

3-9FG 1-5 3PFG 2 REB 1 AST +7 7 PTS

I don't have the tools but I swear he must have been -10 in the first half.

WTF was up with Pop? He obviously saw something higher level that demanded Neal play.

Did he really think CoJo sucks that badly? I bet my balls that CoJo doesn't get caught on those screens and leave Ray Allen open. Furthermore, if Neal continues to suck s**t, Pop has potentially burned a card by ruining Joseph's confidence.

So, My question to Spurstalk:

WTF?

DMC
06-07-2013, 12:30 AM
I'll take his 7 points. Who else is going to be in there?

Brunodf
06-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Neal must have a Pop sex tape or something like that.
He is one of the worst players in the NBA and gets minutes here:lol

Keepin' it real
06-07-2013, 12:32 AM
He contributed to the victory by playing solid minutes. The Spurs won. So WTF is the problem?

DAF86
06-07-2013, 12:35 AM
My guess is that with the Heat trying to get the ball out of Tony's hands Pop wants to have as many playmakers/shotmakers on the floor as much as possible and he considers Neal to be just that.

But then under that logic is inexplicable that Bonner plays over Diaw.

Werdsniper2
06-07-2013, 12:40 AM
You swear he must have been -10 in the first half.

And by the end? +7...third highest on team.

The Neal bashing is hilarious. Only forum in sports history who, after a huge win (with help from a clutch jumper and 3 pointer from said man in second half) bashes on the very same guy for his deficiencies.

Darius McCrary
06-07-2013, 12:44 AM
No Freaking way!!!

Neal almost singlehandedly lost us the game in the 1st half by leaving Ray Allen open for 2 threes.
First half he:
Hesitated on a three
Hit a 2
Hesitated on another three
Took a ludicrous three

Yet Pop still played him, even in crunch time.
I don't buy the "We won so every decision was correct" GNSF BS

Again, my point about ruining CoJo's confidence

I'll keep this thread bumped until a true BNSF answers

roycrikside
06-07-2013, 12:51 AM
He was -1 in the first half, FYI. I wasn't happy that he was in the game so much either, but a part of that was Kawhi's foul trouble in the first half, so we needed another guard in the rotation. I think the reason he got longer run than Joseph is because Cory was -6 in like 2 minutes in the first half. This stage might be too much for him. He really hasn't been a playmaker at all the last round and was basically just giving it to Manu every time and playing off-guard. If a point is going to do that, then Pop will bench him because Neal is a better off-guard than Cory.

In the second half, Neal wasn't doing much except for making a big three there, but he actually guarded Allen pretty good, and Pop wasn't about to change anything when a lineup was making a good run at that point. Eventually he subbed in Green for him, and the Spurs went with their top small-ball lineup down the stretch.

If the Spurs are gonna play small a lot though, then Neal has to play some because it's not like Kawhi-Green-Manu-Tony will play 48 minutes.

As far as the backup point goes, I think that's basically Manu at this point. We'll see if the Heat start trying to pressure his dribble and trap him full-court. I predict they'll attempt something like that in Game 2.

Werdsniper2
06-07-2013, 12:53 AM
CoJo isn't going to develop into anything. Who cares.

In fact, it's nice to see a coach who actually stands behind his players through thick and thin.

Fine, he has been injured and had a down year. So what?

He has been clutch before, and Pop knows he has the ability to be clutch again.

Let the genius coach.

Besides, it's not like there are a plethora of better options out there.

The guy is making almost minimum NBA wage, and still goes out there every night with a fire in his eye.

SpurPadre
06-07-2013, 12:55 AM
3-9 shooting is 3-9 shooting. That is not good enough. This is an instance where +/- is a bad stat to bring up. With that being said, the shots he did make look pretty nice so I'm hoping his shooting stroke can actually improve as this series goes on.

Solid D
06-07-2013, 12:58 AM
At the end of the day, Neal was +7 and the Spurs had a W.

DesignatedT
06-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Foul trouble maybe played a part in it early but Pop must of like what he saw out of him to keep going to him late.

Darius McCrary
06-07-2013, 01:01 AM
At the end of the day, Neal was +7 and the Spurs had a W.

hmm..

james evans
06-07-2013, 01:02 AM
not only neal, but why does ginobli leave ray allen and miller to double? do these mfs not know who ray allen and mike miller are?

tenbeersbold
06-07-2013, 01:03 AM
CoJo isn't going to develop into anything. Who cares.

In fact, it's nice to see a coach who actually stands behind his players through thick and thin.

Fine, he has been injured and had a down year. So what?

He has been clutch before, and Pop knows he has the ability to be clutch again.

Let the genius coach.

Besides, it's not like there are a plethora of better options out there.

The guy is making almost minimum NBA wage, and still goes out there every night with a fire in his eye.

Someone who gets it....CO-SIGNED

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-07-2013, 01:04 AM
They have to guard him even if he isn't shooting well. With CoJo in his place the Heat would have constantly doubled off of him and it would have made the Spurs offense worse overall. Besides his D wasn't as bad as people are suggesting.

baseline bum
06-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Neal was awful tonight.

Juggity
06-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Neal did play too many minutes. I was pissed off during the game because Ray Allen was getting open shots, but ultimately Gary was able to contribute a bit.

He's a role player, we have to remember. He's not perfect, and some aspects of his game a better than others. He should play in a more limited role if possible. I wouldn't mind splitting some of his minutes with Patty mills if Kawhi or Danny get into foul trouble again (which is likely).

oh crap
06-07-2013, 01:07 AM
made 2 timely threes..

Spur|n|Austin
06-07-2013, 01:10 AM
I'll take his 7 points. Who else is going to be in there?

The whole time I found myself saying "well, who the hell else is Pop going to play".

Pop experimented with Joseph, and to me it seemed like it went well, but I guess that's why I'm not the head coach of the best team in basketball. Props to Pop for sticking with Gary, even though it didn't feel right, as I said earlier, it was something that worked in the match up tonight. GSG GSG GSG!

Werdsniper2
06-07-2013, 01:10 AM
made 2 timely threes..

He made one 3, and a midrange jumper before it.

T Park
06-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Neal was awful in the first half, but better in the second half

davidbowie
06-07-2013, 01:12 AM
started off shitty. made some huge shots win nobody else was. job done.

the southern dandy
06-07-2013, 01:14 AM
I cringed like everyone else when Neal entered the game, but I was pleasantly surprised. He made massive errors defensively, but wasn't the disaster that he usually is on that end. Offensively, I liked what I saw. His shooting was obviously rusty but most of his shots were decent looks and in rhythm. He's a player who can benefit from Miami's over aggression as he's more than comfortable being run off the three point line into midrange. Danny, Bonner, Diaw and Joseph are not as comfortable at adjusting their shots on the fly.

oh crap
06-07-2013, 01:15 AM
started off shitty. made some huge shots win nobody else was. job done.

roll player defined.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2013, 02:05 AM
I think Neal wasn't too great tonight. He had his moments, but it KILLS me when he hesitates on 3s. WTF is that all about? For Neal to be effective he has to shoot at a high percentage. Otherwise there's no point to playing him.

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Fuck man if Neal makes his open shots man.................man

MannyIsGod
06-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Actually if Kawhi makes open shots should be what you're saying. At one point he missed 3 corner 3s in a row. The Spurs shot 41% and still won. Pretty fucking amazing.

angelbelow
06-07-2013, 02:44 AM
And we still won.. this was like game 1 of the Laker series when Pop went with Blair and Bonner against Gasol and Dwight for most of the 2nd quarter.

Humberto
06-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Just Neal with it. He hit timely shots for us in the 4th.

wut
06-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Neal was horrible in the first half and barely decent in the second, but seriously Bonner is the one who deserves the WTF thread. Bonner only attempted one shot and at no point was he behind the 3 point line waiting for a 3.... wtf man don't let Miami dictate your game. Pop was playing Bonner because they are sending two bigs at Parker at the key, which is why Bonner is suppose to be in there because if they go aggressive at Tony, even if someone is guarding Bonner he should be able to shoot over them, since the bigs are at Tony. Bonner was timid and a liability....Duncan needs to have a sit down with him.

silverblk mystix
06-07-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't have a big problem with Neal playing for one reason- he has balls and will shoot on any court in any game - and won't shrink or get scared.

Unlike other spur players -

Sure, he has been kinda cold lately - but I thought before the series started that Neal might catch fire suddenly and be a surprise bonus for the Spurs.
I don't think COJO will be negatively affected as he showed in the first rounds that he is ready when called upon and will also compete- he didn't shrink either so Pop is pretty confident that COJO will be ready when called.
Neal is also a threat for Miami and they always have to have someone on him - so I can understand this coaching move.

Finally, SJAX - is not here and Pop won't give McGrady a shot just yet.

Spur|n|Austin
06-07-2013, 08:37 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2011/05/Gary-Neal-223-306x253.jpg

"Hey OP! Shut up and Neal with it!"

AaronY
06-08-2013, 03:15 AM
Neal was awful tonight.

#2!
06-08-2013, 04:28 AM
At least he's not RMJr tbh.

100%duncan
06-08-2013, 06:26 AM
To be fair with Neal, he hit some big shots tbh.