PDA

View Full Version : Why Manu and Neal were vital to the Spur's win

DespЏrado
06-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Pop always has a reason for what he does. And while that may not result in producing a W, it always pays to attempt to put yourself in his shoes for a second to try to understand why he does what he does. One of the top threads is questioning the use of the defense challenged Neal, and I think I have an answer to satisfy that question and when looked at logically it was absolutely the right decision to get the win.

Fact: Parker was pedestrian for most of the game.
Fact: The way the Heat blitzed was the only reason the Spurs went from a possible runaway game up by 7 early to almost losing the game.
Fact: Parker was rendered useless early because he was not able to overcome early pick and roll blitzes.

So that is where Manu and Neal come into play. Manu surprisingly completely replaced Joseph as the backup point guard, and the reason for this is because Manu is taller and probably the best needle threading passer in the NBA next to Steve Nash. Because of his passing, Manu is absolutely the best point guard we have at breaking the blitz. And he was very effective at passing out of the quick traps they threw at him because he takes risks, jumps to make a pass, and sees the creases to thread a needle like pass. Neal and Manu are also the only three point shooter that are good at creating their own three point shot, or shooting off the dribble. In order to break the blitzing defense Popovich made Manu the point guard and gave him an outlet of Gary Neal who can play some point guard duties and hit a 3 off the dribble. That was the counter-move that bought time until Parker could play against Lebron 1vs1 that we all knew was coming.

So my conclusion is that Manu playing with Neal as a release valve made the blitz ineffective, and as much as we all dislike Neal's defense, he was the only one who could really play a reliable release valve role precisely because he can run a limited point guard role and pull up for the three off his own dribble. Pulling up for a three is so important because of where on the court he has to play (the straight away top of three point line) and where the pass is coming from (almost where Pop stands when the Spurs are on the opposite side of the court.)

Without breaking down the blitz, Parker would not have been freed in the fourth to make his run.

cutewizard
06-07-2013, 05:08 AM
Nice analysis man....

Go Spursssssssssssssssssss go!

dg7md
06-07-2013, 05:35 AM
CIA Pop logic

Austin_Toros
06-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Good theory. I'm not sure if Neal is much of a 'release valve' considering his poor shooting, especially these playoffs (at least not a reliable one) but maybe Pop sees him as the only option.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-07-2013, 05:58 AM
While you can expect a lot of GNSFs to jump on you I agree with most of what you've said. Gary Neal individually did not play very well, but the Spurs offense as a whole was better off with him rather than CoJo because it allowed other players to have more space to operate as the Heat were guarding and respecting Neal's shot. He was like a poor man's Ray Allen for the Spurs - if they guard him he won't do much but it creates spacing. If they don't guard him he'll knock down his shots.

In the second half his defense was close to average rather than bad, so this allowed Pop to leave him in there longer than expected.

GSH
06-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Fact: Parker was pedestrian for most of the game.
Fact: The way the Heat blitzed was the only reason the Spurs went from a possible runaway game up by 7 early to almost losing the game.
Fact: Parker was rendered useless early because he was not able to overcome early pick and roll blitzes.

I read this, and thought for sure someone must have bumped an old thread. Parker was our high-point man, and had 6 assists, and 2 steals. You're right... what a shit game. (You know you're onto something when Carlos Estevez agrees with you.)

So Parker has trouble picking up the blitz. Tim Tebow has trouble picking up the blitz. Therefore Parker = Tebow? So Manu = Mark Sanchez, and Neal... well, I don't know who the fuck Neal is. But the whole blitz thing cleared up Pop's thinking for me considerably.

Spursfanfromafar
06-07-2013, 07:27 AM
I agree with GSH. Parker was brilliant evading the blitzes. He either found the roll man or passed sideways and the receiver then passed on to the roller/ open man. If he couldnt' find the space to pass, he simply dribbled a step back, created space for himself to penetrate or passed on to Ginobili/Green to reinitiate a different pick & roll or went through his zipper routine.

Gary Neal was inadequate whatever way you slice it. He didn't make many of his shots, which were par for course or chucked a few. And his defense, particularly of Wade was abysmal.

TJastal
06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
I agree with GSH. Parker was brilliant evading the blitzes. He either found the roll man or passed sideways and the receiver then passed on to the roller/ open man. If he couldnt' find the space to pass, he simply dribbled a step back, created space for himself to penetrate or passed on to Ginobili/Green to reinitiate a different pick & roll or went through his zipper routine.

Gary Neal was inadequate whatever way you slice it. He didn't make many of his shots, which were par for course or chucked a few. And his defense, particularly of Wade was abysmal.

Neal trying to guard Ray Allen is what's going to give me nightmares. When Ray Allen decides to penetrate to the rim instead of taking a 3 you can safely assume you're not good at defense.

Seventyniner
06-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Manu and Neal are also similar in that they will both do what they're going to do, consequences be damned.

It tends to take the form of wtf pull-up threes, mainly 3 feet behind the line with 10+ seconds left on the shot clock. Manu had a really bad one himself with 11 seconds left on the shot clock, I forgot when in the game it was.

Kidd K
06-07-2013, 08:08 AM
If you didn't include Neal in that analysis and just said Manu, I might agree with most of it (besides the "facts" which were just observations with heavy opinions attached). Neal was terrible as usual. Manu good? Yes. Neal? No. I'll be the first guy to talk about it when Neal has a good game or even does more than one good thing in a row. Unfortunately, he hasn't done that in months.

BillMc
06-07-2013, 08:17 AM
While you can expect a lot of GNSFs to jump on you I agree with most of what you've said. Gary Neal individually did not play very well, but the Spurs offense as a whole was better off with him rather than CoJo because it allowed other players to have more space to operate as the Heat were guarding and respecting Neal's shot. He was like a poor man's Ray Allen for the Spurs - if they guard him he won't do much but it creates spacing. If they don't guard him he'll knock down his shots.

In the second half his defense was close to average rather than bad, so this allowed Pop to leave him in there longer than expected.

Yeah, I generally agree with this too. I wondered if Patty Mills as an outlet, with his speed and scoring potential, might be better than Neal? Neither is good on D. I suppose, Neal is in theory a better playmaker than Mills, but its probably a wash and Neal is more experienced playing with the starters than Mills.

Tigole Bitties
06-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Manu surprisingly completely replaced Joseph as the backup point guard, and the reason for this is because Manu is taller and probably the best needle threading passer in the NBA next to Steve Nash. Because of his passing, Manu is absolutely the best point guard we have at breaking the blitz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoPkUAGYiQ

Case in point

SsKSpurs21
06-07-2013, 08:21 AM
If Neal can consistently hit shots I think spurs have a good chance. Lol can't believe we have resorted to relying on Neal but hey, if it works, keep rolling with it! Go spurs go!

Phenomanul
06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Manu would be far more effective if the zebras gave him the calls he deserves on his drives to the basket... got fouled on nearly every drive.

Also, I haven't seen much outcry over the fact that Anderson's foul on Manu should have been ruled a Flagrant 1. If Manu were as bad a flopper as pundits say he still is, he could have definitely milked that particular foul - instead he took it like the warrior he is and stood right up...

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I generally agree with this too. I wondered if Patty Mills as an outlet, with his speed and scoring potential, might be better than Neal? Neither is good on D. I suppose, Neal is in theory a better playmaker than Mills, but its probably a wash and Neal is more experienced playing with the starters than Mills.

Well FWIW I think Patty's shot is better than 2013 Gary's but as you said he's used to playing this role and the finals are an unlikely time to introduce new players to the 7/8-man rotation.

Spur|n|Austin
06-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks, D - the whining about Neal's PT AFTER A WIN was a little pathetic. Good thoughts :tu

mute
06-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I thought Neal was a much underrated factor in this game too. Miami literally controlled the entire game up until the second half of the 4th quarter. They were up by 5-7 pts and were a couple 3’s and steals/turnovers away from turning it into a 12 pt lead. I was holding my breath the entire time.

Neal really kept us in the game with his timely buckets when it looked like Miami was going to break the game wide open. Neal is bonafide scorer (26 ppg) in college. He probably is the best shooter on the Spurs.

Brazil
06-07-2013, 08:41 AM
This is all good but doesn't explain Bonner. Obviously Spurs need guys that can create their own shot against this defense, they also need dudes that can create for the others to counter blitz and traps on Parker. Spurs was also trying to preserve Parker (see time management and TP giving often the ball to Manu, Neal or even Green at the beginning of possessions).
I think this is the right call now in that scheme Diaw is a perfect fit, his play makings capacities are off the chart for a big still Pop played more Matt that brings nothing in that department. With Manu, Neal, Green and even Leonard spacing is not an issue and Heat doesn't have a dominant big worth to tire chasing Matt at the 3 pts line. So if I understand Neal minutes, I'm more than puzzled by Bonner minutes.

siraulo23
06-07-2013, 08:44 AM
i think ST in general knows at this point, neal and bonner will get some playing time

but they cant play together in the same lineup at all, although leonard and duncan in foul trouble probably had a lot to do with it

Brazil
06-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Agree. People seem to think Parker had some masterful game. I wasn't really impressed. I guess if the media are drooling, people just follow right along. If they see Parker on ESPN's front page, he's the best player in the NBA. I love, love, love Neal over Joseph as I've said in other threads. That said, Neal's pullup three in the 4th when they had a wide open layup in transition was mind-boggling. I almost punched my fist through a wall.

You are reaching timvpdpoty level with your takes. You weren't impressed by Parker ? must be a huge compliment for him. I think this game is one of the most accomplished game in his PO career for the Spurs and I don't look at the box score. His decision making and IQ this game have been awesome, his time management has been astonishingly good, he controlled the rythme perfectly... he made some mistakes on D and in O on two or three situations but 0 turnover, 6 assists, 2 stls against the best D perimeter team of the league is great. Miami is gonna react, they were a bit tired at the end but if TP can keep up playing a clever game and limiting T/Os, I like Spurs chance.

Brazil
06-07-2013, 08:51 AM
, although leonard and duncan in foul trouble probably had a lot to do with it

why not using Diaw then ?

DespЏrado
06-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Bump. while a lot of people may have to apologize for crapping on Neal. I think I may have been the first to predict a big series (or at least a vital role) out for him.

Show me the kluby.