PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Why This Finals Series Is Once Again About Shaq and Kobe Legacies

Koolaid_Man
06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
:lol Shaq is on record as stating that as a big man he doesn't want to see Tim Duncan surpass him in rings...so he's clearly rooting for Lebonzo...Kobe on the other hand recognizes the media frenzy of people rushing to put Lebron ahead of him after only 2 titles so he should clearly be rooting for Duncan...

So who will win...Shaq and Kobe are at it again...I'm in Kobe's corner...

Go Duncan!!!!

midnightpulp
06-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Can't blame Shaq for rooting against Duncan. Lakers/Spurs in those days was always about Shaq vs. Duncan, while the perimeter rivalry was centered on Kobe vs. Bowen/Manu.

Like I've said, Kobe vs. Duncan is pretty much a Spurstalk thing. No one really compares Kobe and Duncan otherwise since it doesn't really make any sense.

Koolaid_Man
06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Although the Spurs would be the Lakers chief rival during the two team's title runs, Bryant doesn't consider (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7640850/los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-says-had-no-rivals-16-year-nba-career) Duncan a personal rival.

"He was never in my position," Bryant said. "He was more Shaq's rival than mine. As a team, the Spurs were always a team that we had to go through. So from that standpoint, yes, but in terms of personally, no." - Kobe Bryant

I don't compete with little guards. I don't compete with little guys who run around dominating the ball, throwing up 30 shots a night – like D-Wade, Kobe. Now if Tim Duncan said it, I'd be pissed. He's the only guy I'm competing with. If Tim Duncan gets five rings, then that gives some writer the chance to say 'Duncan is the best,' and I can't have that," he clarified. - Shaq O'Neal

midnightpulp
06-07-2013, 08:01 AM
^

Exactly. Traditionally, you don't compare bigs to perimeter players since each player has a fundamentally different role. It's like comparing a wide receiver to a running back.

Koolaid_Man
06-07-2013, 08:05 AM
^

Exactly. Traditionally, you don't compare bigs to perimeter players since each player has a fundamentally different role. It's like comparing a wide receiver to a running back.

If Lebonzo wins 2 I think Kobe's shrugs his shoulders and say EH? Since MJ is already on record as saying he'd pick Kobe over Lebron..but if Duncan wins Shaq will go into full on meltdown mode...Shaq STILL has the mind of a teenager..just look at the horrible job he's doing as a TNT commentator...the dude is an Epic failure and I think a borderline retard in all seriousness

Rummpd
06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Duncan already greater than Shaq who never took the care of his body the way Duncan has or learned to go outside and shoot and learn to shoot FTs etc.

Duncan has always been more valuable than Kobe and much more of a proven winner and leader - Kobe proved he cannot win again with great sidekicks or even with stacked rosters without Phil....

Arcadian
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Duncan already greater than Shaq who never took the care of his body the way Duncan has or learned to go outside and shoot and learn to shoot FTs etc.

Yep - I think Duncan shooting a career high 82% from the free throw line at age 37 pretty much cements your case here.

Rogue
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Bigman doesn't want himself surpassed by duncan in rings, nor does Kobe want his rings # tied by duncan, so if you're a Kobe fan who hates shaq, you're kind of facing a dilemma here tbh