PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili Nutmeg From Last Night

Go0n
06-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Didn't see any other threads about this.

http://i.minus.com/ibwLNYTPm4jt2w.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoPkUAGYiQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GykaTRayGE)

Chinook
06-07-2013, 10:51 AM
My word. :wow

I thought that pass looked weird when it happened. But I had no idea he threaded the needle that much.

Mugen
06-07-2013, 10:52 AM
:lol I remember being super confused how Parker ended up with that ball on that possession.

That's probably one of the best passes I've ever seen tbh.

TMTTRIO
06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
so how many between the leg passes does that make for Manu? Has anyone come up with a highlight film with all of them from this season? :lol I remember hearing Manu talk about one time how that was the easier pass to make more than your normal pass.

MeloHype
06-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Manu's passes >>>>

bthewigwam
06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
the fuck

Bill_Brasky
06-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Wow......

That's just all world shit right there.......

Phenomanul
06-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice... would have been awesome to get a score out of that possession, as it would forever be remembered in Finals lore... (like the Boobie Gibson nutmeg solo breakaway)

Someone should also make a GIF of Anderson's flagrant foul on Manu... I'm surprised more people weren't upset by that non-flagrant ruling.

Summers
06-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Holy cow.

MarCowMar
06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
They need to figure out a way to get Manu on Sports Science and test him.

Has Manu ever even missed one of those between the legs passes? I've never seen him nut someone.

mexpurs21
06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Nice... would have been awesome to get a score out of that possession, as it would forever be remembered in Finals lore... (like the Boobie Gibson nutmeg solo breakaway)

Someone should also make a GIF of Anderson's flagrant foul on Manu... I'm surprised more people weren't upset by that non-flagrant ruling.

What about Haslem hitting Manu on the neck when he was up in the air going for a layup, bullshit non-call.

Spurminator
06-07-2013, 11:15 AM
And alternately, it appeared that Lebron was trying to nutmeg Leonard on the play that led to Tony's spin move and layup.

Phenomanul
06-07-2013, 11:16 AM
They need to figure out a way to get Manu on Sports Science and test him.

Has Manu ever even missed one of those between the legs passes? I've never seen him nut someone.

Yeah he has... they usually end up being turnovers... beautiful when completed... Frustrating when not... that's the high risk / high reward factor one gets with Manu...

TMTTRIO
06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
amazing to watch this mix of them and see how natural it looks when he does it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yuIU5wru38

silverblackfan
06-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Dug that. Thanks! :toast

SouthernFried
06-07-2013, 11:35 AM
That's just so boring ;)

I've enjoyed watching Manu play basketball more than any other NBA player over the last decade or so.

tmtcsc
06-07-2013, 11:37 AM
That was more blooper than anything. No way did he know he was going to thread that pass through the defenders legs. No way.

wildbill2u
06-07-2013, 11:37 AM
The question on this particular pass is judgment? Did he actually foresee that the defender's legs would open up at exactly the right time.

It seems clear that Manu let the ball go before Cole had reacted to Parker's move and his legs were close together. Then as Coles moves to defend the drive down the lane, the legs move apart and the path of the pass becomes possible.

ElNono
06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
It's a play Tony and Manu run all the time... sure, it's a gamble, but normally it ends up with an easy shot for Tony right at the basket (which it did, despite the miss)

Summers
06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Whichever... luck meets preparation and all that.

TampaDude
06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Manu's game is just so sublime. :hat

TampaDude
06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
The question on this particular pass is judgment? Did he actually foresee that the defender's legs would open up at exactly the right time.

It seems clear that Manu let the ball go before Cole had reacted to Parker's move and his legs were close together. Then as Coles moves to defend the drive down the lane, the legs move apart and the path of the pass becomes possible.

Yup...Manu KNEW the exact moment to start the pass...it's just instinct born from experience.

EVAY
Manu's passing has never gotten the amount of credit it deserves, imo. The guy is on another plane altogether.

I hadn't even noticed that pass in last night's game, tbh so thanks for posting it.

I did notice also, however, that LBJ was anticipating Parker getting the ball someway or another because he stepped toward Tony just as Tony started moving toward the basket. It was LBJ's presence and D that forced TP to miss that shot. Had Parker connected that play probably would have been on instant replay all night.

Solid D
Thank you very much, Go0n. Can we be amazed and not amazed all at the same time? WHAT A PASS!

EVAY
06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
It's a play Tony and Manu run all the time... sure, it's a gamble, but normally it ends up with an easy shot for Tony right at the basket (which it did, despite the miss)

You're right that they run it all the time. You're right that it normally ends up with and easy shot for Tony. You're wrong about that happening last night, however, because if you watch the play develop closely you see that LBJ KNOWS that is a play they often run and he begins stepping up to cut off Parker's penetration even before Manu releases the ball. It was LBJ's defense that altered that shot and created the miss. Gotta give credit where it is due. LBJ was paying attention and anticipated properly.

Spur|n|Austin
06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Uhhhh, wow. Just wow. In real time, nobody would notice that..

Almost looks like it was an accident but you never know with BatManu..

jon123spurs
06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
This dude never ceases to amaze me. WOW!

CGD
06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Come on, that was luck. I dont think even Manu could say he intended that, and keep a straight face.

ElNono
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
You're right that they run it all the time. You're right that it normally ends up with and easy shot for Tony. You're wrong about that happening last night, however, because if you watch the play develop closely you see that LBJ KNOWS that is a play they often run and he begins stepping up to cut off Parker's penetration even before Manu releases the ball. It was LBJ's defense that altered that shot and created the miss. Gotta give credit where it is due. LBJ was paying attention and anticipated properly.

Lebron played it well, but Tony ended up with a shot he makes 7/10 times: a floater 5 feet from the basket. Miami doesn't really have shotblockers, so they try to deny Tony's penetration. Whenever you can give Tony such an easy shot (for him) close to the basket, it's a great play.

JR3
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Just WOW!!! At first glance I say he took a risky pass and got lucky... but with Manu... I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

DAF86
06-07-2013, 12:36 PM
That was more blooper than anything. No way did he know he was going to thread that pass through the defenders legs. No way.

C'mon son, you have watched Manu long enough to know that wasn't a coincidence. :hat

DMC
06-07-2013, 12:40 PM
It was an unnecessary pass. It didn't improve the position much and the risk/reward factor was not in Manu's favor. I think he just gets off making those passes. not sure he meant to go through the legs, it appears he was aiming ahead of him and got lucky on that one. Static plays are one thing, but a running through the legs pass isn't something you can do in a game with any amount of regularity.

DMC
06-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Without a doubt, Manu is the most exciting player in the game. He does so much on both ends, you cannot take your eyes off him.

Cry Havoc
06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Dear god. No words.

I think Manu when he retires should be regarded as one of the greatest passers in the history of the NBA.

Cry Havoc
06-07-2013, 12:57 PM
It was an unnecessary pass. It didn't improve the position much and the risk/reward factor was not in Manu's favor. I think he just gets off making those passes. not sure he meant to go through the legs, it appears he was aiming ahead of him and got lucky on that one. Static plays are one thing, but a running through the legs pass isn't something you can do in a game with any amount of regularity.

... it gave Tony a 5 foot shot that would have been completely uncontested had not one of the best defenders in the game cut it off.

pikkiwoki
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
:lol at people praising that pass

that was a boneheaded pass, no way in hell he meant to do that. manu is lucky as hell that wasn't a turnover and a lebron smash the other way. :lmao

SA210
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Manu doing what Manu does :hat

davidbowie
06-07-2013, 01:00 PM
holy shit dude

someone i was watching the game with asked if that went between legs and everyone ignored them haha

Outlier
06-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Ginobili was never this great of a passer early in his NBA career. He has developed that skill so much.

DAF86
06-07-2013, 01:35 PM
:lol at people praising that pass

that was a boneheaded pass, no way in hell he meant to do that. manu is lucky as hell that wasn't a turnover and a lebron smash the other way. :lmao

lol son. How many games have you watched Manu play? He's the master of seeing/timing/getting through passes even before the play develops. How many times have we seen Manu throw a pass to an open space with the perfect timing, speed and spin for the ball to get to his teammates just at the perfect moment for him to get an easy look going to the rim with all the momentum in the World.

Manu knows timing as good as any other player in history, he knew when/where to throw that pass for the ball to go right between the legs of Cole.

Jumi
06-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Maybe it was lucky that it worked, but you know that's exactly what he wanted to do!! I wonder what was his thought process before making that pass? Hell, I wonder what makes Manu do half of the crazy shit he does sometimes!!

itsamanuthree
06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Wow!!!

TJastal
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
I've watched the replay a number of times and it appears to me that the pass was intended to go in front of Cole. When Parker starts his cut it appears he is going to cut hard in a straight line, and that's where Manu anticipates when he throws that pass. Instead, on Parker's 2nd step he fades off that line and in turn that makes Cole's direction change slightly as well. So basically Manu's pass that would have been threaded just in front of Cole instead ended up fortunately going between Cole's legs. I still say it was a great pass, either way. :toast

Someone outta ask him about that one on the next Q & A. Or email one of the SA hack reporters to bring it up at the next practice session. I'd be curious what his answer would be.

superbigtime
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Man like half of those plays are to Blair cutting to the basket. maybe we see it in these Finals.

boutons_deux
06-07-2013, 01:57 PM
it was luck, NOT planned.

Manu through a good lead pass to Tony but the opponent stepped right into the path.

Budkin
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
OMFG... I remember seeing that happen so fast I was just like huh?

phxspurfan
06-07-2013, 02:14 PM
He actually did two of these last night. One was this one, the other was a cross court one that just landed in one of the Spurs' hands but didn't result in a layup.

timvp
06-07-2013, 02:16 PM
That was on purpose. And it wasn't really that risky. If he misses with the pass, it hits Cole's shoe and he probably gets called for a kicked ball.

LeBron had a great rotation on that play, though. 99% of the time Parker gets that pass and lays it up.

TDomination
06-07-2013, 02:20 PM
That was on purpose. And it wasn't really that risky. If he misses with the pass, it hits Cole's shoe and he probably gets called for a kicked ball.

LeBron had a great rotation on that play, though. 99% of the time Parker gets that pass and lays it up.

Exactly what I was thinking. He sees Cole going forward, there was no way he intended to try to get the ball in front of him, it would have never made it.

Was it risky? heck ya but did he intend to pass it between his legs? looks that way.

Phenomanul
06-07-2013, 02:33 PM

It definitely looked like Manu sized up the seam...

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
too bad Parker couldn't finish

urunobili
06-07-2013, 02:42 PM
If it was the first time Manu hit a shot between the legs of a player it'd be up for debate...

hater
06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
IMO Manu is finally adjusting his game to being a sort of Horryesce presence. Being a pest and concentrating on rebounds and intangibles.

That is exactly what I wanted for him. To adjust his game. No he cannot go 1-5 anymore. He also stopped shooting and wasting possessions like in the regular season.

Good job Manu. finally, finally you adjusting your game as I instructed.

Drew2354
06-07-2013, 02:50 PM
What the what! That is nuts!

Yuixafun
06-07-2013, 03:22 PM
I remember that pass specifically, because I was yelling at my boy no don't do it. And he fucking pin point got it there. I thought Turnobili was about to make an appearance.

Spur|n|Austin
06-07-2013, 03:22 PM
If it was the first time Manu hit a shot between the legs of a player it'd be up for debate...

Seventyniner
06-07-2013, 03:28 PM
I don't know where the term "layup" keeping coming from. Parker caught the ball at the free throw line and still had 2 Heat players between him and the basket. Sure, it was a sick pass, but like the physics-defying bender Manu throw to Bonner, it didn't lead to a useful shot. Manu didn't lead Tony enough on that pass, and LeBron anticipated it anyway.

Dro210
06-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Manu threw a ridiculous cross court pass to Bonner last night too... I don't know where to find video of it, but maybe some of yall noticed it too

hater
06-07-2013, 04:38 PM
to be fair Manu also threw 2 ball to Bonner in the paint. I think he thought that was Splitter and not Bonner.

Bonner botched both obviously

tlongII
06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
That can't be intentional.

ohmwrecker
06-07-2013, 04:53 PM
lol @ people thinking Manu didn't do that on purpose.

greens
06-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Manu passed the ball before the other player even spread his legs! Is Manu a psychic? Or has he simply had a million passes like this before that he knew the exact moment the other player would move his legs???

Either way, AMAZING pass! :)

Dro210
06-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Manu threw a ridiculous cross court pass to Bonner last night too... I don't know where to find video of it, but maybe some of yall noticed it too

Found it...

http://i.imgur.com/QJrrgJ9.gif?1

nkdlunch
06-07-2013, 05:26 PM
LOL he didn't mean to go through the legs. He meant to pass it just ahead of the defender

ppl say, this is not the first time he did it so it must be on purpose fail to realize Manu's between the legs are all with the defender's feet flat on the floor

nkdlunch
06-07-2013, 05:32 PM
regardless

poor Norris Cole

he really was made look like a fool last night :lol

Cherry
06-07-2013, 06:45 PM
That can't be intentional.

But it was :downspin:

SpursRock20
06-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Someone should seriously ask Manu if this was intentional. He's a stand-up guy, pretty sure he would tell the truth.

spurraider21
06-07-2013, 07:24 PM
a few months back somebody posted a video of manu's career, including his ball he played in his youth and overseas. anybody remember that or have a link to it? i've been searching old threads for a while, to no avail

Solid D
06-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Found it...

Screwball - right to left spin

Solid D
06-07-2013, 07:42 PM
One of my all time faves of Manu was on a pass he didn't make. It was against the Bucks several years ago. He dribbled down the right side in transition, wound up and was passing to a teammate running down the middle of the lane but changed his mind just as he was about to release it. He somehow managed to rotate his hand from on top of the ball to underneath the ball, palm up...pull it back in and then went with a better option (I forget if he shot the ball or passed it). :wow

It was totally uncanny ball control. It was like it was super glued...and the ball just stuck to his hand. Hahaha! At regular game speed, it looked like a Globetrotter rubber band on the ball trick. Craziest thing I ever saw.

Phenomanul
06-07-2013, 08:54 PM
What about Haslem hitting Manu on the neck when he was up in the air going for a layup, bullshit non-call.

Yeah, now that I think about it that foul was more flagrant than the Birdman foul...

ezau
06-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Manu is a mad genius.

carina_gino20
06-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Those defenders should be happy whenever Manu doesn't miss his target. :lol

DMX7
06-07-2013, 09:54 PM
So I ball so hard muhfuckas wanna fine me

ohmwrecker
06-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Worse than getting dunked on tbh.

Kidd K
06-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Found it...

I was just wondering if anyone gifed that too. Two insane Manu passes in the same game. Guy was really in top form passing the ball in game 1.

Screwball - right to left spin

But he's throwing it as a lefty, so that rotation is actually curveball rotation (like throwing a spiral with a football). Right to left is screwball rotation only if you're throwing righty bro. Sorry I had to nitpick that shit.

SA210
06-08-2013, 10:55 AM
lol @ people thinking Manu didn't do that on purpose.

pgardn
06-08-2013, 11:09 AM
One touch by Parker to Leonard for a dunk and this would be on every highlight.

SA210
06-08-2013, 11:32 AM
If Manu were on the Knicks, Miami, Laker's he would be a casual fans basketball God like you wouldn't believe.

ffadicted
06-08-2013, 12:02 PM
:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

DAF86
06-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't know where the term "layup" keeping coming from. Parker caught the ball at the free throw line and still had 2 Heat players between him and the basket. Sure, it was a sick pass, but like the physics-defying bender Manu throw to Bonner, it didn't lead to a useful shot. Manu didn't lead Tony enough on that pass, and LeBron anticipated it anyway.

That play ends up on a lay-up 99% of the time, Lebron was just smart enough to read it and prevent it.

davidbowie
06-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Worse than getting dunked on tbh.

def more embarrassing imo

ace3g
06-08-2013, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-HXok_ysw

kaji157
06-08-2013, 04:48 PM
here is the other, closer.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2u6d85k.gif

Fernando TD21
06-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Ginobili's career between the legs passes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AvZQzj7CA

ace3g
06-08-2013, 07:35 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-manu-ginobili-game-1-nba-finals-heat

HI-FI
06-08-2013, 07:41 PM
i wouldn't have noticed it if not for ST:tu

like i said after Manu nutmegged Tayshaun Prince, he's getting the swag back. He's also not forcing as much, which is probably the most important thing with Manu. Hopefully he's saved the best for last:hat.

SA210
06-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Ginobili's career between the legs passes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AvZQzj7CA

:worthy:

TE
06-09-2013, 01:38 AM
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/videohub/video/clipDeportes?id=1821727&cc=3888

He confirms the nutmeg was unintentional at the beginning of this interview in Spanish

adonis827
06-09-2013, 05:56 AM
all time leader in nutmegs?

Russo21
06-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Manu is fucked I the head lol

cutewizard
06-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Incredible Manu, just my fav player

Darius McCrary
06-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Shame we didn't get points off either pass. So Manu.