PDA

View Full Version : The conventional wisdom on game 2

SuperDave
06-07-2013, 12:20 PM
The conventional wisdom would concede game 2 to the Heat, since it's all but a must-win for them. The talking points are that the Heat will definitely take it to another level in game 2 since their backs are against the wall, and that the Spurs will relax and let up having gotten the split and HC.

I think the CW is failing to take into account a critical factor. This is the best the Spurs will feel physically since early in the year. Nine days off so they're refreshed and rejuvenated, then a game to knock off the rust, then an extra day off, two days total, to recover before the next game. The Spurs should be sharper than game one, but still refreshed and rested. Pop and Tim know how important it is to take full advantage of good health and energy while they still have it.

I do agree that the Heat, especially LeBron, will take it up a level in game two. But I think a sharp, fresh Spurs team can take it up another level or two. Spurs missed a lot of open threes in game 1, some chippies, and had some bad rotations.

I think the Spurs have a golden opportunity to take game 2 and really put this series on lockdown. Physically, game 2 is the best the Spurs will be for the remainder of the series.

If the Spurs don't win game 2, the series will end up back in Miami. Win it, and we look good to clinch at home.

TampaDude
06-07-2013, 12:22 PM
The conventional wisdom would concede game 2 to the Heat, since it's all but a must-win for them. The talking points are that the Heat will definitely take it to another level in game 2 since their backs are against the wall, and that the Spurs will relax and let up having gotten the split and HC.

I think the CW is failing to take into account a critical factor. This is the best the Spurs will feel physically since early in the year. Nine days off so they're refreshed and rejuvenated, then a game to knock off the rust, then an extra day off, two days total, to recover before the next game. The Spurs should be sharper than game one, but still refreshed and rested. Pop and Tim know how important it is to take full advantage of good health and energy while they still have it.

I do agree that the Heat, especially LeBron, will take it up a level in game two. But I think a sharp, fresh Spurs team can take it up another level or two. Spurs missed a lot of open threes in game 1, some chippies, and had some bad rotations.

I think the Spurs have a golden opportunity to take game 2 and really put this series on lockdown. Physically, game 2 is the best the Spurs will be for the remainder of the series.

If the Spurs don't win game 2, the series will end up back in Miami. Win it, and we look good to clinch at home.

:toast

JR3
06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I've been thinking the same thing ever since parker hit the shotclock buzzer beater.

letmk
06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
The heat kind of got relaxed after game 7 against Pacers. They will fight hardest like before after a loss. Hence the Spurs should match their intensity and treat game 2 like game 7. Win game 2, and their big 3 will be shaken and divided.

moisaenz
06-07-2013, 12:26 PM

really good take so far. I could also add that Miami is still going to be somewhat tired after that 7 game series.Although for a game 2 win, manu will need to score more as well as Green making as many shots as he did game 1.

GSH
06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I said this in another thread, but if the Spurs can't win Game 2 it's unlikely that they will win three in a row at home either. If they do win it all, the two most likely ways are a sweep, or by winning Game 7 in Miami. They're going to be looking to (at least) match Miami's intensity and desperation in Game 2. Period. The only people even remotely considering conceding Game 2 are fans who don't know any better, and writers who need a story.

Mr. Body
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I know the 'coasting' thing Miami throws on is controversial. But they dropped their first game against Chicago and after nearly dropping their first against Indiana dropped the second. This is a team that knows they have extra gears and, to their detriment, usually don't go to them until they have to.

Game 2 should be highly interesting. The Spurs should test what those higher gears are. I'd expect Miami to definitely win. Hopefully it's not a blowout, or else momentum may shift. But the information about what kinds of gears the Heat have will help the Spurs in the next few games.

06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
I know the 'coasting' thing Miami throws on is controversial. But they dropped their first game against Chicago and after nearly dropping their first against Indiana dropped the second. This is a team that knows they have extra gears and, to their detriment, usually don't go to them until they have to.

Game 2 should be highly interesting. The Spurs should test what those higher gears are. I'd expect Miami to definitely win. Hopefully it's not a blowout, or else momentum may shift. But the information about what kinds of gears the Heat have will help the Spurs in the next few games.

Everyone always claims the Heat are "coasting" when they lose games, but how long can that be used as an excuse? This is the NBA Finals! They have home court!
You should be playing your highest gear for every game of the series and leave it all on the court.
But hey, when the Heat lose the finals, because they didn't switch to those "higher gears" they have, I'll enjoy watching Timmy raise #5 :lobt2:

41times
06-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Don Nelson was a pretty good coach in his day. I was never a huge fan of his while he was in Dallas because all he coached was offense. Which he was very good at. And he had a saying for a situation like this........Free Swing.
The pressure is on the other team and we can play confident and loose because we already got 1 game on their court so this next game is a "free swing" It took the pressure off his guys and it work. So offensively I hope the Spurs take this approach.

But don't listen to a damn thing he said about coaching defense.

spurraider21
06-07-2013, 01:38 PM
coming in i had them splitting the first 2 in miami, the spurs taking 2 of 3 at home, and then needing to win 1 more in miami, either in 6 or 7.

now that we've already at the very least accomplished part 1, i'm feeling a lot better about this. a win in game 2 wouldn't be the knockout punch, but it would surely rock them pretty bad.

dbreiden83080
06-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Good points and the conventional wisdom for the whole finals will be that the Heat are going to win because they Have Lebron James. "Lebron just needs to be more aggressive, the Heat are fine" this and that. Spurs just have to keep playing and staying under that radar like they do so well.

Chinook
06-07-2013, 02:32 PM
It's like Game 3 in Memphis. It's going to be a bloodbath. If the Spurs come out on top, I think Miami's spirit will be broken. The Spurs should try to make the game as exhausting as possible. With their rotation and having home court for Games 3-5, they should be fine, while Miami will be pretty weak.

Budkin
06-07-2013, 02:46 PM
It doesn't matter if the Heat "have another gear," the Spurs are focused, determined, play way better D, and won't miss that many 3s next game. All the pressure is on the Heat and the Spurs have a great chance to steal another one.

boutons_deux
06-07-2013, 02:47 PM
MIA coasted through 3 qtrs of games in the season, then played hard in the 4th to win in it in a yawn, but I think they have truly struggled against playoff teams, not coasting.

Does anybody think the Heat coasted last night when they couldn't pull away from the Spurs like they did in games they coasted in?

hater
06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I called Spurs in 7 so in order for that to happen, Heat need to win game 2.

they will

Seventyniner
06-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Since there's only one day off between games 2 and 3, including a plane flight, is it possible the Spurs have a better chance of winning game 2 than game 3? Or is homecourt that important?