PDA

View Full Version : Has Cojo Lost the Backup PG Job?

superjames1992
06-07-2013, 07:05 PM
It seemed so in the second half as CIA Pop rolled out a Manu/Green/Neal lineup. I am curious whether CIA Pop will continue with this or not. I feel like Cojo has been serviceable in these playoffs, though Danny has been playing well, so it helps to get him more playing time.

What do you all think?

travis2
06-07-2013, 07:10 PM
De Colo shot himself in the foot by fighting D-League assignments. CoJo raised his value by not only not fighting the assignments, but actually asking for them. CoJo worked on his game. De Colo didn't. And their relative quality of play showed that.

Each is currently in the roster spot they earned.

Go0n
06-07-2013, 07:17 PM
CoJo would typically be matched up against Cole, who plays very physical defense. He's played against some relatively relaxed D so far in the playoffs: Darius Morris, Jarrett Jack, Keyon Dooling. Conley made all-defensive 2nd team this year but I don't think Joseph saw too many minutes of that matchup. I think Pop is worried about Joseph turning the ball over, leading to sportscenter highlights on the other end.

I think he'll get more minutes next game, but if he turns the ball over a few times he's done for the series.

AFBlue
06-07-2013, 07:25 PM
It's the matchup...no ball-dominant or high-scoring PG to check, no need for Cory's superb pressure D.

monkeypunk
06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
De Colo shot himself in the foot by fighting D-League assignments. CoJo raised his value by not only not fighting the assignments, but actually asking for them. CoJo worked on his game. De Colo didn't. And their relative quality of play showed that.

Each is currently in the roster spot they earned.

I think he is referring to Manu running the point instead of CoJo last night.

Like others have said, CoJo's minutes last night were because Manu can play point and is taller than CoJo so he can pass out of that double team that Miami kept throwing at the point position last night. Can't afford to turn it over versus this team because that will most likely result in a dunk on the other end which gives them confidence and momentum.

Inspired choice by Pop, tbh.

gnsf0946
06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
It's the matchup...no ball-dominant or high-scoring PG to check, no need for Cory's superb pressure D.

This and he's basically our Tony Allen on the offensive end.

MeloHype
06-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I wish Pop would play Mills instead of Neal tbh if he isn't gonna play cojo

TheGoldStandard
06-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Less Gary Neal Please.. 7 points in 22 minutes on 9 shots and shitty defense = stay on the bench

capek
06-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Not much more to say. It's more important to have someone out there that can keep the defenses honest with their shot and improve spacing (Neal). CoJo won't see many minutes in this series.

spurraider21
06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Not much more to say. It's more important to have someone out there that can keep the defenses honest with their shot and improve spacing (Neal). CoJo won't see many minutes in this series.

this. would be nice to see Neal be a tad more selective on his shots. that 4 on 1 still is in my head

EVAY
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Not much more to say. CoJo won't see many minutes in this series.

Truth.

capek
06-07-2013, 08:34 PM
this. would be nice to see Neal be a tad more selective on his shots. that 4 on 1 still is in my head

If I'm honest I was pretty happy that Neal only took one godawful shot (that deep three), and made only a single really ridiculously bad blown rotation (that left Allen open for that three in the first). Those were pretty bad plays, but Neal typically seems to average 5+ of them a game, so him cutting that down to 2 was definitely a plus and no doubt the reason that Pop played him so many minutes. Of course, it'd be nice if he picked up his percentage from the 30% he shot...

spurraider21
06-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Neal spreads the defense better than CoJo does, and Manu is running the offense anyway. With Miami not really running offense through guards, Neal's defense isn't exposed much. He's a good matchup, but he along with Kawhi need to knock down their open looks

Chinook
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
It was always Pop's preference to have Neal play the backup point in crunch time. Joseph needs to come back in October with a much-improved offensive game if he wants to be the backup all year long.

TheyCallMePro
06-07-2013, 09:22 PM
He's done. Pop always trusts older players over younger one's. It's not like we have to fear the great Mario Chalmers either. What can CoJo contribute to this team now? Gary Neal is a better shooter, and older and more ready for this stage.

letmk
06-07-2013, 09:49 PM

This. Though Cole goes into mini-spurt once every few games. So I'm waiting to see whether Pop uses CoJo to counter that.

100%duncan
06-07-2013, 09:53 PM

This makes sense the most IMHO. And I'm afraid that Pop's trust on our boy CoJo is not up to Finals category yet.

06-09-2014, 07:07 AM
We need Cojo back