PDA

View Full Version : If Manu Ginobili Was Black, He'd Be Your Hero

Marhq
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
If Manu Ginobili Was Black, He'd Be Your Hero
When tribalism and basketball intersect, this is what happens.

by Khalid Salaam

No Spur will ever wear Number 20 again. At some point in the next few years, Manu Ginobil’s name will get the rafter raising treatment and with it, an accompanying ceremony replete with big lights and a standing ovation by the San Antonio faithful. After that, who knows? It’s likely he and his story will fade away into the retired player abyss of forgotten memories.

Truth is, that’s unfortunate. Ginobil was a great player, not quite transcendent, but undoubtedly one of the most impactful players so far of the 21st Century.

But he won’t get that level of appreciation. Why? Because the optics are bad.

All this time Manu’s career has been a study on how tribalism works. And you didn’t even know it.

Continue reading... (http://theshadowleague.com/articles/if-manu-ginobili-was-black-he-d-be-your-hero)

Saludos.

DarrinS
06-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I read that today. Totally disagree with the premise.

nkdlunch
06-07-2013, 08:07 PM
In this country white > black > foreigner when it comes to sports figures

So the title should read if Manu was American, he'd be everyone's hero

like Larry Bird was

just look at Parker. He's black. underappreciated cause he's foreign. Dirk, same thing. etc, etc

mookie2001
06-07-2013, 08:08 PM
If manu were black he'd be labeled uncoachable

DarrinS
06-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Nah, greatness is admired for what it is. To say that Bird was admired because he's white, is a total insult.

Keepin' it real
06-07-2013, 08:12 PM
If Manu Ginobili Was Black, He'd Be Your Hero

Tell that to all the Latinos in San Antonio.

nkdlunch
06-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Nah, greatness is admired for what it is. To say that Bird was admired because he's white, is a total insult.

never said that. Bird was a top 20 player but Bird is sometimes talked as top 10 even top 5, which clearly he wasn't. He's overrated sometimes, and that's fine cause he's white.

DarrinS
06-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Tell that to all the Latinos in San Antonio.

So only Latinos love Ginobili? Smh

DMC
06-07-2013, 08:17 PM
No sports figure is my hero. That shit stops for normal people after age 12 I think. That could change if one of them drops a fortune in my lap.

Man In Black
06-07-2013, 08:17 PM
I've been saying nationalism is a key issue why the 4 letter doesn't say what needs to be said by their use of selectively mute or edit Spurs stories and bylines for years. They'd rather push the Americans instead of the Internationals.

DarrinS
06-07-2013, 08:18 PM
never said that. Bird was a top 20 player but Bird is sometimes talked as top 10 even top 5, which clearly he wasn't. He's overrated sometimes, and that's fine cause he's white.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Bird

The Reckoning
06-07-2013, 08:20 PM
the author's audience is black men btw

none of you wankstas will understand.

DarrinS
06-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Point being -- Bird wasn't a great "white" player -- he was just a great player, PERIOD.

nkdlunch
06-07-2013, 08:21 PM
again, I never said he was not a great player. He belongs in top 20, maybe even top 15. But the way media sometimes talk about him and equating him to MJ and Magic, is just funny

it's really not hard to realize Bird, the "best white player ever" is overrated.

it's pretty understandable IMO

Keepin' it real
06-07-2013, 08:23 PM
So only Latinos love Ginobili? Smh

Wow, you quoted me, but your post has nothing to do with what I wrote. Read it again.

thiste
06-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Always funny to me when people refer to Parker as being black :)

nkdlunch
06-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Always funny to me when people refer to Parker as being black :)

in this country parker is black buddy. just like Obama is black. Just like Kobe is black. Just like Tiger is black. welcome to the USA

LoneStarState'sPride
06-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I think I may be the only black guy in Missouri with multiple Ginobili jerseys :lol

Yuixafun
06-07-2013, 08:45 PM
I think I may be the only black guy in Missouri with multiple Ginobili jerseys :lol

I lived in Houston Missouri with my step-grandparent for 6 months, the second half of my 8th grade year.

I'm filipino but in that school I was 1 of three of colored kids and they thought I was black, well..

I got called the N word at regional track meets, from people in the stands screaming "Don't let that N beat you!!!!"

I have a Manu jersey too =).

HemisfairArena
06-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Wow...what a weird topic. So if MJ was white he wouldnt be a top 5 player of All Time?

Jumi
06-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Ginobili is a bad dude! Period! Larry Bird was a bad dude! Period! Race only matters when you don't have the game and some people need something to like about you besides your abilities. Once you do what you do, color doesn't matter. That's truth!

HemisfairArena
06-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Look it is what it is when it comes to sports...I dont care about color but the best players to ever play in the NBA...95+% are black. MJ, Magic, Duncan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Oscar, Kobe, Malone, Dr.J, ect...list goes on and on. The top white guys are Bird, Stockton, Maravich, West, and thats about it...not near an argument really. Its kinda like saying the best ever QB's in the NFL are usually white...like Montana, Brady, Manning, Starr, ect......with Doug Williams, Warren Moon, ect as the counter point.

Yuixafun
06-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Randall Cunningham!

hater
06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
"Tribalism doesn't exist" - Jeremy Lin fans

skulls138
06-07-2013, 09:40 PM
never said that. Bird was a top 20 player but Bird is sometimes talked as top 10 even top 5, which clearly he wasn't. He's overrated sometimes, and that's fine cause he's white.Bird IS top 5. Top 20? What a total joke.

Captivus
06-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Maurice Ginobili?

pikkiwoki
06-07-2013, 10:50 PM
It works both ways though. In a recent interview, Manu speculated that a reason he's been embraced by San Antonio is because of his Latin roots, being Spanish speaking and all that.

Skip to 5:28:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2013/06/02/130602ginobilimp4-2495633

So yeah it cuts both ways. Basically, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle, tbh.

Skull-1
06-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Tim, Dave, Manu, Pop, Leonard, and Bruce are my heroes. Black, white, whatever.

Manu is white (I am, too, as if it means anything), so I guess people, including white folks, hate white dudes. Nothing new there. Germans, Irish, and Italians were all hated once. Who notices now? Nobody. People try to turn ethnicity into race all throughout history. It is quite irrelevant.

Frankly, being a non-black, non-American player in a majority black, majority American league may actually work in Manu's favor. He is unique. As special a player as we have ever seen. He will be remembered for what he has done. You'll see.

I like good players and guys with character. Their race and ethnic origin mean NOTHING (other than I admire a guy like Manu who played in so many different places and learned different languages to speak to his fans). The Spurs show exactly what MLK meant in the "I Have a Dream" speech. I am proud of our guys. They come from all over, they're a TEAM, and they win!

Humberto
06-08-2013, 09:56 AM
This is probably another good thread to bring up Rasho Nesterovic, if he were a black dude would he be regarded as a better big than David Robinson, Carl Herrera, and Tim Duncan??

dbestpro
06-08-2013, 11:03 AM

like Larry Bird was

just look at Parker. He's black. underappreciated cause he's foreign. Dirk, same thing. etc, etc

Bird? It's been a while since he was a sports icon. Other than some white QBs and a swimmer or two, what white sports figure is Americ'a darling? Times have changed.

dbestpro
06-08-2013, 11:12 AM
I lived in Houston Missouri with my step-grandparent for 6 months, the second half of my 8th grade year.

I'm filipino but in that school I was 1 of three of colored kids and they thought I was black, well..

I got called the N word at regional track meets, from people in the stands screaming "Don't let that N beat you!!!!"

I have a Manu jersey too =).

Sorry that you were faced with such ignorance. The strange thing is when people speak like that they tend to embarrass themselves in public, and it becomes part of their maturation away from such stupidity. When we totally shut people up, even with their harmful words, then the ignorance festers into something so much more dangerous.

When someone tries yo get into your head like that, you can always return the favor with an intelligent quote, and send him back into the box of duh. The worst thing you can do is get into an argument of four letter words that merits the phrase stupid is as stupid does.

Obstructed_View
06-08-2013, 12:25 PM

like Larry Bird was

Agree completely. Everything else you've said since then is just stupid shit. The only people who say Larry Bird is overrated never watched him play. By that rationale, America should love Kevin McHale as much as every player that ever competed against him does.

NRHector
06-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Maurice Ginobili?

Tyrone Ginobili?

milkyway21
06-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't agree in some of points but to put Manu alongside Kobe, Wade, McGrady, and Iverson IS a major plus.

The writer needs to travel more inside & outside of U.S. because Manu is very popular also in other countries like ours. I see a lot of Duncan & #20 wearing-jerseys here.

Manu is clutch and maybe the most fun to watch in his prime. Now I blame it on his scare & NOT TO get INJURED again, so he is not flashy as we like him to be.

nkdlunch
06-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Are you serious?

well to be honest BIrd is easily top 15 not 20. but I have a hard time ranking him above these players. I'm talking about pure skill level and dominance:

duncan
jordan
magic
kareem
wilt
russell
kobe
hakeem
james
shaq
robertson

milkyway21
06-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Sorry that you were faced with such ignorance. The strange thing is when people speak like that they tend to embarrass themselves in public, and it becomes part of their maturation away from such stupidity. When we totally shut people up, even with their harmful words, then the ignorance festers into something so much more dangerous.

When someone tries yo get into your head like that, you can always return the favor with an intelligent quote, and send him back into the box of duh. The worst thing you can do is get into an argument of four letter words that merits the phrase stupid is as stupid does. :tu

elmanutres
06-08-2013, 09:39 PM
If manu was black, he would've had a shoe deal a long time ago.

nkdlunch
06-08-2013, 09:42 PM
If Serena Williams was white shed already been named the best tenis player ever and would be biggest sports star in the USA

skulls138
06-08-2013, 10:10 PM
If Serena Williams was white shed already been named the best tenis player ever and would be biggest sports star in the USAWhy's that? She hasn't caught up to Chris Evert Lloyd, Martina Navratilova or Steffi Graf.

Obstructed_View
06-08-2013, 11:38 PM
If Serena Williams was white shed already been named the best tenis player ever and would be biggest sports star in the USA

She's fifth all time in grand slams, so only a fucking moron would say that she's the best ever.

Baam
06-08-2013, 11:55 PM
What a stupid racist thread, should be locked tbh.

Manu benefited a lot from being Latino and there's nothing that'd led anyone to believe that him being black would change anything.

If manu was black, he would've had a shoe deal a long time ago.

Even Wade who had a better career is signed with some shitty Chinese brand, do you expect him to have his own Nike line? This thread is beyond stupid.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2013, 12:10 AM
LOL holy shit is that writer serious?

How much more loved could Manu be? He's gotten nothing but respect from the media both in SA locally and around the NBA. He IS plenty of people's heros. This is some of the most retarded shit ever.

ShoogarBear
06-09-2013, 12:14 AM
I forget, is Manu Hispanic or Latino? :devil

DOS CHAINZ
06-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Manu is still my Hero & U.O.E.N.O. It!!!

NRHector
06-09-2013, 03:34 AM
Manu is still my Hero & U.O.E.N.O. It!!!

:toast

Marco
06-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Larry Bird is at the very least top five. Should him be white, black or green, it wouldn't matter, he'd be top five.

TimmyDuncan21
06-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Point being -- Bird wasn't a great "white" player -- he was just a great player, PERIOD.

Yes he was a great player top 25 of all time. The best white american to ever play in the NBA?

TimmyDuncan21
06-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Larry Bird is at the very least top five. Should him be white, black or green, it wouldn't matter, he'd be top five.

LOL and Timmy is #1 and Jordan was 15th??

TimmyDuncan21
06-09-2013, 06:55 AM

Im sorry but this must be done. Im going to name 7-8 players from the last 25 years that had more skill and would rank higher

and Lets remember Bird played on a All-Star team, so here goes really quick I'll name a few

1.Timmy
2.Shaq
3.Jordan
4.KG
5.Iverson (only star on team and nba scoring champ)
6. The Dream! Hakeem
7.Kobe and yes I Hate Kobe
8.Shall I keep going?? Ok fine! Malone and Robinson
9. I left off players like Durant and King James...Many others are just as good as Bird that are also left off

Skull-1
06-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Anyone who ever saw him play would have to agree. In any event the top player of his generation, probably. The man was awesome and worthy of every accolade.

George Gervin's Afro
06-09-2013, 08:23 AM
dumb thread

jdiggy0424
06-09-2013, 08:25 AM
dumb thread

agreed

jdiggy0424
06-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Im sorry but this must be done. Im going to name 7-8 players from the last 25 years that had more skill and would rank higher

and Lets remember Bird played on a All-Star team, so here goes really quick I'll name a few

1.Timmy
2.Shaq
3.Jordan
4.KG
6. The Dream! Hakeem
9. I left off players like Durant and King James...Many others are just as good as Bird that are also left off

not sure if this list is serious...

pgardn
06-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Bird-Magic

This was the greatest display of pure basketball skill/knowlege of all time together. That's why both usually make the top 10 lists. Neither were superb athletes in the Jordan/Kobe/Lebron mold, they excelled at the game. They had the uncanny ability to get the entire team involved and to come up with huge moments because they felt the game so well. Both seemed to know what needed to be done in the moment.

And these lists are very difficult because the players had different roles and positions.

Personally I hated Bird because he was such an a-hole, not because he is white. He is in no way overrated in a top 10 list. And if you want top 5 I could go with that as the criteria is not well defined. The Bird is overrated because he is white is so old,worn, and wrong.

BillMc
06-09-2013, 08:49 AM
He is a hero of mine. Race irrelevant to me.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2013, 08:50 AM

1.Timmy
2.Shaq
3.Jordan
4.KG
6. The Dream! Hakeem

So much lol

moisaenz
06-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Manu is the Pete maravich of this era... Might be overlooked like Pete even though he has accomplished way more. He doesn't care he is moving back to Argentina, after retirement. where he is considered the second coming of Maradona.

Sisk
06-09-2013, 10:36 AM

like Larry Bird was

This is much more accurate.

If manu were black he'd be labeled uncoachable

He is labeled uncoachable. Pop said he gave up long ago.

TMTTRIO
06-09-2013, 10:42 AM
LOL holy shit is that writer serious?

How much more loved could Manu be? He's gotten nothing but respect from the media both in SA locally and around the NBA. He IS plenty of people's heros. This is some of the most retarded shit ever.
Maybe with Spurs fans only but around the league he's only known, talked, and hated for his flopping like he invented it.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Maybe with Spurs fans only but around the league he's only known, talked, and hated for his flopping like he invented it.

LMAO what bullshit.

PingPong
06-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Manu is just one of the best foreigners of all time wich had played in NBA.

Vito Corleone
06-09-2013, 12:30 PM
again, I never said he was not a great player. He belongs in top 20, maybe even top 15. But the way media sometimes talk about him and equating him to MJ and Magic, is just funny

it's really not hard to realize Bird, the "best white player ever" is overrated.

it's pretty understandable IMO

You obviously didn't watch Bird

He was a stone cold assassin, there has never been a better shooter, as much as teams tried to stop him, they couldn't, and that was because he was also one of the best passing forwards in the game.

TimmyDuncan21
06-09-2013, 01:37 PM
not sure if this list is serious...

Who would you take out of this list?? Robinson?? I dont see bird as a top 15 player.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Manu is the Pete maravich of this era... Might be overlooked like Pete even though he has accomplished way more. He doesn't care he is moving back to Argentina, after retirement. where he is considered the second coming of Maradona.
Pete Maravich exemplified individual basketball at the expense of team. Manu's closer to Jordan than he is to Maravich. If we're going to make ridiculous comparisions, let's at least do it in the right direction.

moisaenz
06-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Pete Maravich exemplified individual basketball at the expense of team. Manu's closer to Jordan than he is to Maravich. If we're going to make ridiculous comparisions, let's at least do it in the right direction.
I was talking about individual skills not team/individual perspective.