PDA

View Full Version : Need Help deciding on a vehicle

Drachen
06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Ok, so my wife got hit two weeks ago. We had an '07 Dodge Grand Caravan with 47k miles on it. We have a big family so we need a 7 passenger vehicle, but if KBB is right, my vehicle has dropped in value by almost half since I refinanced a year and a half ago and therefore I am in hole (no, no gap insurance because I had a ~20% cushion when I started my refi payments and couldn't have predicted such a precipitous drop in value). That being said, I am going to have to get a vehicle in the area of an early 2000's expedition/suburban/etc. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions regarding which 7 passenger vehicles from 99-03ish they have experience with and which they would recommend or advise against. Please be specific and don't just say "MAZDA MPV FTW!" or something like that.

Koolaid_Man
06-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Ok, so my wife got hit two weeks ago. We had an '07 Dodge Grand Caravan with 47k miles on it. We have a big family so we need a 7 passenger vehicle, but if KBB is right, my vehicle has dropped in value by almost half since I refinanced a year and a half ago and therefore I am in hole (no, no gap insurance because I had a ~20% cushion when I started my refi payments and couldn't have predicted such a precipitous drop in value). That being said, I am going to have to get a vehicle in the area of an early 2000's expedition/suburban/etc. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions regarding which 7 passenger vehicles from 99-03ish they have experience with and which they would recommend or advise against. Please be specific and don't just say "MAZDA MPV FTW!" or something like that.

I got you right here big baby!!!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/tvan_zps7434a48b.jpg

Drachen
06-08-2013, 12:17 PM
I got you right here big baby!!!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/tvan_zps7434a48b.jpg

Does it come with third row seating and carseat anchors?

Koolaid_Man
06-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Does it come with third row seating and carseat anchors?

yes...you could make some serious south of the border runs with this...nice engine too...will comfortably seat your next 7 kids as well...your wife could even make taco's while u drive....keep everyone well fed...might be able to also fit all the lawn mowing equipment as well :hat

Drachen
06-08-2013, 12:37 PM
yes...you could make some serious south of the border runs with this...nice engine too...will comfortably seat your next 7 kids as well...your wife could even make taco's while u drive....keep everyone well fed...might be able to also fit all the lawn mowing equipment as well :hat

Well, I am Irish and was raised Catholic, but I am not THAT Irish and I am an athiest. soooo I don't think there will be any more. My wife is mexican, though and she does make some great tacos!

Drachen
06-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh and back on a serious note, my step daughter will be 16 this year, so I won't need this vehicle for more than a few years, then I can go down to a 5 passenger vehicle.

Koolaid_Man
06-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Well, I am Irish and was raised Catholic, but I am not THAT Irish and I am an athiest. soooo I don't think there will be any more. My wife is mexican, though and she does make some great tacos!

:rolleyes o--kayyy...

You're a lying ass Mexican is what you are...most Mexican men want to be white so bad...they'll do anything for the white acceptance... it's no surprise you throw that Irish claim out their and then immediately try to back track. No self respecting Irish man would have 7 kids in today's society...nor would he be driving an old ass van and be married to a Mexican...you straight up from Mexico dawg...stop frontin

Drachen
06-08-2013, 01:13 PM
7 passenger vehicle != 7 kids.

I DO have a little Cherokee and Choctaw in the ol' bloodline, so I guess that is kinda (not really) related to mexican. I'm mostly German though.

You know how you can tell I'm white?
I am completely mixed up German, French, Irish, Scottish, Polish, Cherokee, and Choctaw.

Technique
06-08-2013, 01:20 PM
20" rims and coke white exterior. Guaranteed to turn heads

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/2008_Honda_Odyssey_01.JPG

Dirk Oneanddoneski
06-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Wrating am Irish and was raised Catholic, but I am not THAT Irish and I am an athiest. soooo I don't think there will be any more. My wife is mexican, though and she does make some great tacos!

LOL @ this race traitor raising some other be@ners kids

Drachen
06-08-2013, 01:56 PM
20" rims and coke white exterior. Guaranteed to turn heads

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/2008_Honda_Odyssey_01.JPG

And I can get one for 3-4k?

Drachen
06-08-2013, 01:56 PM
LOL @ this race traitor raising some other be@ners kids

Hey, at least I won't have to pay for my kids' college. With middle names like "esparanza", etc. There will be scholarships galore.

SpursWoman
06-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Oh and back on a serious note, my step daughter will be 16 this year, so I won't need this vehicle for more than a few years, then I can go down to a 5 passenger vehicle.

Then she won't be your kid anymore? Our kids are 16 & 17 and we still have to take them with us when we go places.. lol

We are trying to find a car for my daughter right now ... this sucks so bad. Good luck, whatever you decide on. I like my in laws Honda Pilot, fwiw...everyone fits comfortably in it, and my husband, son & FIL are all well over 6ft tall.

Drachen
06-08-2013, 06:03 PM
She will still be my daughter, but we won't have to cart her around at 19.

DMC
06-08-2013, 07:20 PM
You should talk to Blake. He wife got hit a few times as well.

Nbadan
06-09-2013, 02:19 AM
You should talk to Blake. He wife got hit a few times as well.

:lol

Dude......break down and buy a Honda Odyssey...it's your family...

AaronY
06-09-2013, 04:47 AM
:lol

Dude......break down and buy a Honda Odyssey...it's your family...
Zach Lee..get something Japanese..Honda, Toyota, Nissan those always dominate the Consumer Reports reliability ratings..I know you wanna be patriotic OP but you sound broke no need to show your true colors by footing a higher repair bill each year on the backend and putting yourself further into the poorhouse

RandomGuy
06-10-2013, 12:34 PM

You might want to consider leasing, in that case.

Consider:

You won't need the vehicle after a couple of years, so buying, then downsizing to a smaller one, means a lot of work in finding, then selling and buying another one.
If you get another vehicle that you are making payments on, a lot of the payment simply goes to interest and depreciation, i.e. money you don't get back when you own a vehicle.
Leasing would also let you get a much newer model. Presumedly safer, in better repair, and a bit more easy on the gas.

That might not be a recommendation for a specific vehicle, but it may be an option that fits you in this particular case. Normally I don't think leasing is worth it for most people.

Just do a bit of research, and for the love of the magic man in the sky, read the fine print.

Drachen
06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
You might want to consider leasing, in that case.

Consider:

You won't need the vehicle after a couple of years, so buying, then downsizing to a smaller one, means a lot of work in finding, then selling and buying another one.
If you get another vehicle that you are making payments on, a lot of the payment simply goes to interest and depreciation, i.e. money you don't get back when you own a vehicle.
Leasing would also let you get a much newer model. Presumedly safer, in better repair, and a bit more easy on the gas.

That might not be a recommendation for a specific vehicle, but it may be an option that fits you in this particular case. Normally I don't think leasing is worth it for most people.

Just do a bit of research, and for the love of the magic man in the sky, read the fine print.

That's kinda the point in buying a => 10 year old vehicle. I can pay only ~3k, hope it holds up, then sell it for, I don't know 1k in 3 years and get a 5 passenger. Meantime, I won't have a payment and can save up a down payment in excess of what I already saved up. I didn't like having a 300+ dollar payment on my van, so I want to make sure that doesn't happen again. I had thought about leasing, but it won't really do me any good as I will have to pay a bunch up front, and still have a payment.

RandomGuy
06-11-2013, 09:01 AM
That's kinda the point in buying a => 10 year old vehicle. I can pay only ~3k, hope it holds up, then sell it for, I don't know 1k in 3 years and get a 5 passenger. Meantime, I won't have a payment and can save up a down payment in excess of what I already saved up. I didn't like having a 300+ dollar payment on my van, so I want to make sure that doesn't happen again. I had thought about leasing, but it won't really do me any good as I will have to pay a bunch up front, and still have a payment.

(nods) Ok then, you have considered it. Just wanted to put it out there in case it was something you might have missed.

Just be sure to set aside a sinking fund for repairs and replacement.

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2013, 09:23 AM
I had the wife in an expedition during that period (downsized from suburbans) and it was a really solid, comfortable vehicle. She claims it parked/rode better than the newer expedition she drives now.

mrsmaalox
06-11-2013, 09:29 AM
I had the wife in an expedition during that period (downsized from suburbans) and it was a really solid, comfortable vehicle. She claims it parked/rode better than the newer expedition she drives now.

I was gonna say my 2003 Expedition was the best kid hauler ever; I believe your wife and I had the same one right? Still have it, the kids drive it. It's never needed anything but maintenance---gas mileage is a whole other issue, but the reliability factor has pretty much evened that out for me.

Drachen
06-11-2013, 02:58 PM
well I'm still looking for something with better gas right now but if it comes down to it then at least I will be saving money on let Lauren Shirts costs and no car payment. Mazda mpv or kia Sedona also looks good. I am just trying to find some. Our rental quits getting paid for a week from today so I have to hurry. Also, I may create is own thread but my son was born about 4.5 hours ago

CosmicCowboy
06-11-2013, 03:03 PM
well I'm still looking for something with better gas right now but if it comes down to it then at least I will be saving money on let Lauren Shirts costs and no car payment. Mazda mpv or kia Sedona also looks good. I am just trying to find some. Our rental quits getting paid for a week from today so I have to hurry. Also, I may create is own thread but my son was born about 4.5 hours ago

At this rate you are gonna need a fucking bus.

Drachen
06-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Nope, no mas. I'm taking care of that asap.

TeyshaBlue
06-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Maybe an early 2000 Sequoia?

They can be found >6k if you look. Fucking bulletproof trucks. My step daughter has one with 200k on the clock and it's not even close to retirement.