PDA

View Full Version : Possibly the Worst Article Ever?

SpursRock20
06-08-2013, 04:09 PM
"Do not cry for Tim Duncan. Even if he wins this NBA (http://bleacherreport.com/nba) title, Duncan will be applauded and appreciated only for a while, same as the other titles. It certainly won’t last long. And when his career does end, it’s inevitable by now: He will be underrated forevermore, his highlights archived but never viewed, his greatness easily forgotten. Not right, necessarily. Fair enough, though."

Continue Reading... (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1665659-whos-to-blame-for-tim-duncan-being-underappreciated-tim-duncan)

This article is laughable, just had to share.

bigfan
06-08-2013, 04:15 PM
It appears Ding is short for dingbat.

Shastafarian
06-08-2013, 04:18 PM
It appears Ding is short for dingbat.

or butthurt

Kevin Ding has been a sportswriter covering the NBA and Los Angeles Lakers for OCRegister.com since 1999. His column on Kobe Bryant and LeBron James was judged the No. 1 column of 2011 by the Pro Basketball Writers Association; his column on Jeremy Lin won second place in 2012.

No one cares about jeremy lin

Arcadian
06-08-2013, 04:20 PM
:lol What a fucking tool.

Tim doesn't owe anyone shit. He wins, he kicks ass, and he does it his way. He doesn't conform to the stereotypical "inspirational athlete" bullshit that this toolbag is promoting. Fuck that. He just can't handle the truth that Tim Duncan is the best NBA player since Jordan, and he plays for the Spurs.

SpursRock20
06-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I love Duncan for all the reasons he mentions that makes Duncan "unlikeable". He's the rarest superstar there is. A true enigma in a world that makes it so easy for stars to live it up and beat their chests, Duncan quietly does his work effectively. What more can a fan want?

mudyez
06-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Thats why everyone here should love Bill Simmons! He may work for BSPN and pick against us, but he always was a fan of TD and an admirer of the Spurs.

DarrinS
06-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Man, that piece reeks of butthurt

TheGreatYacht
06-08-2013, 04:30 PM
:lol What a fucking tool.

Tim doesn't owe anyone shit. He wins, he kicks ass, and he does it his way. He doesn't conform to the stereotypical "inspirational athlete" bullshit that this toolbag is promoting. Fuck that. He just can't handle the truth that Tim Duncan is the best NBA player since Jordan, and he plays for the Spurs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTBbrQgTEk

DarrinS
06-08-2013, 04:35 PM
This dude is going to hate Kawhi Leonard.

FromWayDowntown
06-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Tim Duncan makes Kevin Ding's job harder -- makes him work more to get the story -- and Ding doesn't like it.

Being a sports writer should be fun and easy.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Please don't click on the link...it'll only give him more page views

Raven
06-08-2013, 04:37 PM
:lol @ journalists trying to justify themselves for being fans of the Kardashans.

barakz21
06-08-2013, 04:40 PM
So, is he saying TD should apologize for not doing a Ray Lewis during his 16 years in the league? Clearly, the man does not watch the Spurs. He's the biggest reason they're in the finals, because the guys want to win another one for him. If that's not inspiration, then I don't know what that is. Seriously, what a stupid article.

z0sa
06-08-2013, 04:54 PM
What is the thought process behind sharing the worst article you can find on one of the highest traffic communities?

TheCultOfPersonality
06-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Possibly the Worst Article Ever?

It should at least be in the top 5, but not the worst.

THE worst article ever was written by Scoop Jackson last week.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9324829/rudy-gay-trade-haunts-grizzlies

Here's one excerpt.

The Griz needed Rudy Gay more than OKC needed Harden once Russell Westbrook (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3468/russell-westbrook) went down.

:lol idiot.

SpursRock20
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM
What is the thought process behind sharing the worst article you can find on one of the highest traffic communities?

Thought it was funny. So what if it increases the views, he deserves all the criticism he is getting in the comments section. Dude deserves to lose quite a bit of credibility.

z0sa
06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
^ I suppose. Is it a high traffic site that advertises or just a personal blog? I didnt click the link because I dont want to support shitty writing or the people supporting their shitty writer.

SpursRock20
06-08-2013, 05:08 PM
^BleacherReport

Budkin
06-08-2013, 05:17 PM
You can tweet kevinding and give him your feedback!

DMC
06-08-2013, 05:23 PM
"Do not cry for Tim Duncan. Even if he wins this NBA (http://bleacherreport.com/nba) title, Duncan will be applauded and appreciated only for a while, same as the other titles. It certainly won’t last long. And when his career does end, it’s inevitable by now: He will be underrated forevermore, his highlights archived but never viewed, his greatness easily forgotten. Not right, necessarily. Fair enough, though."

Continue Reading... (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1665659-whos-to-blame-for-tim-duncan-being-underappreciated-tim-duncan)

This article is laughable, just had to share.

This article sucks, so I will help spread it around.

DMC
06-08-2013, 05:25 PM
:lol @ journalists trying to justify themselves for being fans of the Kardashans.

Actually it's more along the lines of them scrambling to recover from having been exposed as frauds. Woj is about the only person I read anymore.

Raven
06-08-2013, 05:25 PM
It should at least be in the top 5, but not the worst.

THE worst article ever was written by Scoop Jackson last week.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9324829/rudy-gay-trade-haunts-grizzlies

Here's one excerpt.

:lol idiot.

no matter how hard you try, he's right about everything he wrote.

Dunc n Dave
06-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Just another "sportswriter" with a another successful troll job of Spurs fans. He's up to 18k reads on that article so far, with 152 comments. I'd say about 14k of those reads are irrate Spurs fans. Successful troll was successful...

SpursRock20
06-08-2013, 05:28 PM
This article sucks, so I will help spread it around.

Your takes are spot on, props :toast

ShoogarBear
06-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Bleacher Report. Almost Certainly the Worst Sports Site Ever.

mexpurs21
06-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I don't have a clue on why TNT gives this clowns so much promotion during games.

Drachen
06-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I feel dirty for having clicked on that link and having given that website some more money.

timvp
06-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Bleacher Report. Almost Certainly the Worst Sports Site Ever.

Kevin Ding writes for Orange County Register. I think they just do some sort of joint ish with Bleacher Report.

Anyways, I don't really think it's a terrible article. If Duncan read it, his reaction would be: "He's probably right ... and I still don't care."

IMO, "legacy" is the most overrated term in sports. There's really not even such a thing. Everyone is remembered differently by everyone else. There are no universal rules to it.

An athlete trying to do something to improve their "legacy" is a mistake; you can't appease a non-existent, fluid ideal. All an athlete should focus on doing is what is best for them personally. That happiness/satisfaction is tangible. At the end of the day, nothing else matters.

For example, you listen to just about any athlete who retired or did something to protect their "legacy" and they almost all regret it later in life. It really is just a media-made myth, IMO.

jstep13
06-08-2013, 05:55 PM
You guys are too sensitive. He is right, this is all Duncan's fault. Everyone knows he should have raped a woman, left his team high and dry, berated his teammates and showed up his opponents. Then he would have gotten the respect he deserves.

TheyCallMePro
06-08-2013, 06:17 PM
The article is pretty accurate tbh...I mean what are yall disputing exactly?

Duncan has closed himself off from the rest of the world his entire career. How are people supposed to remember a guy they never got a chance to really know in the first place? Legacy isn't just about winning. It's about how you win. I know that's not the Spurs way of thinking, but that's how legacies are defined.

I mean Tony Parker has been the best point guard in the NBA for more than a decade now. And people are just now starting to acknowledge that he might be the best PG in the NBA. What took them so long? Parker and the Spurs closing themselves off is what. Look at CP3 and all his commercials. That's how you become known. That's how you get people to remember you. You connect with them.

I'm a diehard Spurs fan and I don't think the Spurs have anything to complain about. They dug their own grave in this regard. Even when the media has tried to connect with them they've turned them away. It's like the Spurs have been trying to stay underrated and unappreciated throughout the entire Popovich era. I think this article is 100% correct.

skulls138
06-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Im disputing the fact that just because the world is full of imbeciles doesn't mean you have to play their game. If the press don't pay homage to the teams who actually win it all, and multiple times then they are liars and hypocrites and theres no reason to give any creedence at all to them. I think its great that Duncan and Parker don't kiss anybodys ass and do what they want. Those four championships (and counting I hope) will always be there, they cant erase that.

Arcadian
06-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Duncan has closed himself off from the rest of the world his entire career. How are people supposed to remember a guy they never got a chance to really know in the first place? Legacy isn't just about winning. It's about how you win. I know that's not the Spurs way of thinking, but that's how legacies are defined.

How has he closed himself off? He's been the most consistent presence in the NBA for the past 16 years. He's played over 1,000 NBA games, and he's arguably been the best player across that timespan.

If people can't see what's obviously right in the front of them, that is their fault, not Tim's.

I disagree that it's about "how you win." No, it's about what you have actually accomplished, not how people subjectively interpret what you have accomplished.

If doing TV commercials, saying stupid shit to the media, and acting like a showboating tool are perceived as "interesting" by most people, then fuck most people. Their opinions are irrelevant.

Chinook
06-08-2013, 07:54 PM
He didn't say Duncan had to play the media game. He just said because he didn't play it, he will be forgotten. And we shouldn't try to remember him when he went through so much trouble to be forgettable. I don't think that's a bad stance at all. I actually appreciate his honesty. It's better than him saying, "We should remember Duncan" and them proceeding to ignore him.

I mean, we'll all remember Duncan because we saw him play, but unless he goes to Spurs games like Robinson, what's going to make younger fans remember him? I rarely see Duncan highlights, and that's probably not going to change. Since he's probably not going to go into coaching or commentating, he'll probably fade from the public conscience within two or three years of getting into the Hall-of-Fame.

HemisfairArena
06-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I agree with this article. Its the reason I start Duncan vs Kobe threads on here and am disgusted by the amount of support for Duncan on this site. On Lakers Ground...they start the same argument and 13 pages show up saying Kobe is the best of his generation easily. On here, it barely gets one page for Duncan and then Spurs fans get mad when an article like this comes out. Duncan needs massive support and loud fking voices shouting his name for his greatness like Laker fans do for Kobe...not passiveness.

easjer
06-08-2013, 10:18 PM
I think the author is missing a big point in his tantrum over wanting access and an elite athlete to pander to him and care about his opinion and validate his worth as a journalist/person. Meh. The reality is that in a hundred years few people are going to care a whit about Tim Duncan, even if half his stats are still standing. Tim Duncan has been beyond what words can describe and the evidence of it is there. I think Tim is right on - he can't really control what people think about him and so he doesn't care. That's much better than most of us.

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2013, 10:30 PM
This reminds me, whatever happened to Kevin O'Keefe?

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2013, 10:40 PM
The Spurs are everything which American sports journalism bemoans the lack of in professional sports. A focus on winning, lack of drama, humility, and a team first mentality.

And they are hated for it.

The Spurs' performance over the last fifteen years is simply exceptional. What is also exceptional is the general tone of media coverage of one of the top professional sports organizations in North America.

The tone is dismissive if the team is even covered.

But, in the end, that is what makes it so enjoyable.

mingus
06-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I think The fact that Duncan chooses to stay private actually humanizes him rather than de-humanizes him. All we know about Lebron for example and sports athletes in general is that they are really good at basketball or their sport. That's pretty much all that defines them to the outsider. How's that humanizing them?

Marcus Bryant
06-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Beating down the Jazz and Rockets for the last 13 years was excellent. The titles are just gravy.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Basically what you have here is a guy who clearly isn't a Duncan fan. He wrote and article to attack him. Whatever, that's his choice. However, if Tim gets his 5th ring, I think it will be pretty damn hard to forget about his achievements. Especially in this day and age, the age of media and internet.