PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Rockets' pursuit of Howard and Paul

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Dwight Howard will not be the only object of the Rockets’ free-agent affections, and the Los Angeles Lakers center has not been the only subject of their intensive preparations for next month’s sales pitches.

Howard has generated by far the most attention as a Rockets free-agent target, but the team plans a similar and simultaneous pursuit of Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul, a person with knowledge of the Rockets’ thinking said. According to another individual familiar with the team’s plans, “they are targets No. 1 and 1A.”

The difference is there have been far more indications Howard, a 6-11 center, will be receptive to the Rockets’ recruiting efforts. Although it is too early to know if Paul, a 6-0 guard, is disinterested or keeping his thoughts private, the Rockets have gone through detailed preparations to chase both.

Rockets players James Harden and Chandler Parsons have spoken with Howard about the Rockets and playing in Houston. Harden is even closer to Paul from their time together on the USA Basketball senior national team.

But Howard’s interest in the Rockets also could point to the difficulty in landing Paul.

According to an individual with knowledge of Howard’s thinking, Howard has been interested in playing for Rockets coach Kevin McHale and assistant coach J.B. Bickerstaff, citing among other things McHale’s style and playing history as a Hall of Famer.

Howard, 27, also has been open to signing a four-year contract, rather than the five-year deal the Lakers could offer, according to an individual with knowledge of his thinking, so he could time his

return to (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=239598#) free agency to coincide with the next NBA national television contracts (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=239598#) and potentially a new collective bargaining agreement.

:lol at the McHale part
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/06/why-settle-for-one-rockets-going-after-howard-and-paul/

ohmwrecker
06-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Lob City, TX

Chinook
06-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I think they're fine with a no-name point next to Harden. Beverly fits pretty well, and even Lin would be all right if he weren't so overpaid. A player like George Hill actually would be a great fit for the team. Honestly, they're better off making a run at a power-forward than they are at making a run a Paul.

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 09:53 AM
I'd like to see Beverley start if they don't get Paul, and bring Lin off the bench. Lin and Harden can't really play together because they are both prone to turning the ball over a lot. But it might be a moot point if Dwight comes since Lin would be traded.

Chinook
06-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Why does Howard coming over mean getting rid of Lin? I thought Asik would be the one to go in that case.

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Well the guy I got that from has been vouched for as legit, and he said if Dwight comes than Lin's days would be numbered. The problem last year wasn't offense, but the Rockets were a horrible defensive team. I think they'd try at least testing out Dwight/Asik frontcourt because Asik developed into a double double machine late in the season. And you just don't trade that away UNLESS it's for someone substantially better. The argument against that would be Asik/Dwight will clog the lane and neither have post moves, but we will see hopefully. I just know they LOVE Asik more than they love Lin.

Trainwreck2100
06-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I'd like to see Beverley start if they don't get Paul, and bring Lin off the bench. Lin and Harden can't really play together because they are both prone to turning the ball over a lot. But it might be a moot point if Dwight comes since Lin would be traded.

who would take that shitty ass contract?

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 11:23 AM
who would take that shitty ass contract?

Yes it's shitty in terms of what the contract actually is, but not when it comes to counting against the cap. Someone will bite.

StrengthAndHonor
06-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Perfect situation for Dwight but I'll give him a year before he pouts about not getting enough touches. Asik and Dwight would be a two headed defensive monster but they won't work tbh.

Dwight's better with a stretch 4. He wants the paint all to himself. Unless Asik is going to become a back up. Man, what an expensive back up he will be and honestly, a waste of talent since Asik is so underrated.

That said. I'm so curious to see how this team would work. Top 3 out West perhaps.

Killakobe81
06-09-2013, 01:47 PM
LOL Dwight still being the object of so much desire

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
LOL Dwight still being the object of so much desire

Lakers were the ones that traded for him when he allegedly didn't want to be there from the jump :lol

Killakobe81
06-09-2013, 01:52 PM
And strength and honor is right I don't see Rox as a great for the same reasons as well as the lane being congested for Harden's drives and Dwight's shitty Ft shooting wasting the early bonus the beard creates.
On the positive side Dwight sets great screens and Rox will still generate plenty of fta despite lane congestion.

Killakobe81
06-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Lakers were the ones that traded for him when he allegedly didn't want to be there from the jump :lol

Dont know why u are laughing, I also think the Lakers should not throw max $ at Dwight...
I think its crazy to put our future in his hands, I am not saying I would not want Dwight and I get why Rox are so desperate for him.
I just don't think he is worth max at this point especially when LeBron by far the best player in the game is not getting it. You pay max to Harden and Dwight and you probably still won't win it all ...but you will win more games no doubt about it.Also Paul and Harden is probably an even poorer fit.

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Dont know why u are laughing, I also think the Lakers should not throw max $ at Dwight...
I think its crazy to put our future in his hands, I am not saying I would not want Dwight and I get why Rox are so desperate for him.
I just don't think he is worth max at this point especially when LeBron by far the best player in the game is not getting it. You pay max to Harden and Dwight and you probably still won't win it all ...but you will win more games no doubt about it.Also Paul and Harden is probably an even poorer fit.

I think if it's Paul Harden Asik then it wouldn't be a bad fit. If it's Paul, Harden and Dwight then maybe. But still, it was about a year ago when Harden played with a ball dominant PG in Westbrook and did fine.

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 02:06 PM
And IDK how you can say adding Dwight won't at least get us deep in the playoffs with the way the West is WIDE OPEN for years to come.

Killakobe81
06-09-2013, 05:49 PM
And IDK how you can say adding Dwight won't at least get us deep in the playoffs with the way the West is WIDE OPEN for years to come.

I never said no, deep playoff run I said no titles. Sure harden has played with a ball dominator ... before he became an all-star he may not want to go back

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 05:58 PM
no no deep playoff and sur harde playing with a ball dominates befor he became the he became the sea a a star he may not want to go back

Harden dominated the ball last year because he had no other choice, Lin couldn't bring the ball up the court without turning it over. If he had an actual PG, and not have to play PG, he could play off the ball more.

baseline bum
06-09-2013, 06:03 PM
It really should be Chris Paul or bust in Houston.

djohn2oo8
06-09-2013, 06:09 PM
^I don't think he'd entertain coming without Dwight, but maybe I'm wrong.

Rogue
06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
It would be a fuck in the butt to LA fans no matter which guy the Rockets get (if not both)

Killakobe81
06-09-2013, 11:05 PM
again i get why Rox would do it and will probaly work better than what we did this past year, but I dont think that is a title team. Maybe Rox and Dwight prove me wrong ...we shall see.