PDA

View Full Version : Did the window get re-opened for the next 2 years?

mingus
06-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Before this season I never imagined TP could do what he's doing now. I always thought he lacked the confidence and killer instinct that you have to have to be a Superstar. But he's carried us and I don't think anyone is going to get in his way (or maybe to put it better he won't get in his own way).

I know the league is in constant motion and it's hard to predict what may happen next year or the year after, but saying Duncan and Manu don't drastically decline and young players like Kawhi, Splitter, and Green keep improving, does this team contend for the next 2 years? Or is what Parker and this team is doing right now just a flash in the pan?

Yeah, I know I'll get some flack for looking far ahead, but what do you guys think? Has the window re-opened for the next 2 years?

TrainOfThought5
06-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Not really. I cant imagine Tims renaissance lasting more than a couple years. we need to replace Ginobili with a strong sixth man REALLY soon. Tonys speed is bound to fall off soon and love Kawhi but i dont think hes the dynamic superstar we want him to be.

Mal
06-09-2013, 04:18 PM
It all depends on this offseason moves, Tiago and Kawhi development and Tim, Manu health. A lot of if to say it with certaintity.

doobs
06-09-2013, 04:21 PM
No. This is it with this group of guys, unless McGrady somehow surprises us all next season and rediscovers his superstar form.

TheGreatYacht
06-09-2013, 04:24 PM
I think that we should talk about the future after the NBA finals are over. A lot of the future will depend on whether the Spurs win the championship or not.

unforeseen
06-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Next year will be the final year of the "window"

vander
06-09-2013, 04:56 PM
if manu signs for the vet minimum and we get al jefferson and a studly backup PG...

Libri
06-09-2013, 04:57 PM
It depends on what you mean by contend. Do you mean that they make the playoffs or that they get to the finals. If it's making the playoffs, then yes, I believe the Spurs can do it. In their 46 seasons, the Spurs have only missed the playoffs five times. Even during the so called lean years, the Spurs managed to make the playoffs.

letmk
06-09-2013, 05:00 PM
For an old team like the Spurs (I know we have lots of young guns actually, but the core players are old), momentum is everything. If the Spurs win it all this year, they will have another chance in the next couple of years. If not, it's done.

Plus, if Spurs can beat the Heat, first, lots of Allen/Lewis will instead come to San Antonio for cheap. That's the advantage of being a championship. Second, more importantly, the Heat would probably make changes which may not be able to have a team as strong as this 27-consecutive-win Heat.

Knoxxx
06-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Before this season I never imagined TP could do what he's doing now. I always thought he lacked the confidence and killer instinct that you have to have to be a Superstar. But he's carried us and I don't think anyone is going to get in his way (or maybe to put it better he won't get in his own way).

I know the league is in constant motion and it's hard to predict what may happen next year or the year after, but saying Duncan and Manu don't drastically decline and young players like Kawhi, Splitter, and Green keep improving, does this team contend for the next 2 years? Or is what Parker and this team is doing right now just a flash in the pan?

Yeah, I know I'll get some flack for looking far ahead, but what do you guys think? Has the window re-opened for the next 2 years?

Yes. It reopened last year when Duncan finally got healthy and in the best shape of his career. I think we can 4-peat then Duncan retires at an even 40, depending on how he's feeling then of course.

tesseractive
06-09-2013, 05:38 PM
At some point we'll stop contending, but anyone who thinks they know exactly when is crazy. Tim's having a great year, and it's possible he's got another year or two like this ahead of him if he stays healthy. Tony's having a career year, and based on other point guards like Nash and Billups, he might be able to play like this into his mid-30s. Manu may have a couple of years left if we can keep him on the Robert Horry plan.

We need better depth, and we need for our younger guys like Tiago and Kawhi to keep improving, but there's no reason this Finals appearance has to be one and done.

Kidd K
06-09-2013, 06:48 PM
This year is our last "great" chance, but the Spurs will still strongly contend next year too. Year after that, I can't say. . .you never know how Duncan and Ginobili will age, or how much or how little Leonard will progress.

HemisfairArena
06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
I say this is the new beginning. I think this team will actually get stronger over the next two years...even with Manu calling it quits probably after this year. That opens up another slot for a younger more athletic player also.

HarlemHeat37
06-09-2013, 06:52 PM
This is currently one of the weakest points in NBA history, tbh, so yes, the Spurs can contend for another year or 2..

alpha_HaZE
06-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Harlem, I am curious as to why you consider this one of the weakest points in NBA history?

ffadicted
06-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Let's fucking focus on these finals first shall we lol

JRHernandez88
06-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I think if we lose this is our last real shot but if we win, then yes I think the window opens till ATLEAST next year. That would be badass. If we win this year I'm seriously considering getting season tickets just to see Tims possible last season as reigning champ.

dunkman
06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Since the '11-'12 season, the Spurs have added a lot of above average players into the rotation. Kawhi, Green and Splitter, the 3 new starters. Then Diaw and Cory from the bench. With the exception of Diaw they are all young. In theory, the team will improve next season. But unless Kawhi or Splitter develop into all-NBA players, this team goes as far Parker and Duncan take them, plus some x-factors game from Manu. While Parker is still improving, and Duncan is still the best bigman in the NBA, Manu has apparently already declined.

So the window will be open until Duncan is at his actual level, imo.

exstatic
06-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Not really. I cant imagine Tims renaissance lasting more than a couple years. we need to replace Ginobili with a strong sixth man REALLY soon. Tonys speed is bound to fall off soon and love Kawhi but i dont think hes the dynamic superstar we want him to be.

That fits into a two year window. Ginobili is also not healthy right now.

Obstructed_View
06-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Manu's drastic decline seems to have begun. Glad his jumper's back, but he can't dribble for shit.

Arcadian
06-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Oh yeah, for sure. The Spurs are title contenders until Tim retires. The window never really "closed" in the first place.