PDA

View Full Version : Like the 2004 NBA Finals...

gasolina
06-09-2013, 10:58 PM
..The Pistons, heavy underdogs, met the L.A. Lakers in what was dubbed as a series mismatch of epic proportions. The Lakers, loaded with stars Shaq and Kobe plus added veterans looking for a ring -- Gary Payton and Karl Malone, looked set for an easy series. But, the opposite happened. The Pistons got a split in L.A. before holding serve in the their middle-three home games to clinch the title.

The Spurs are somewhat in a similar situation. Picked as the underdog. Miami with its big wallet stars plus veteran defectors looking for a quick ring (Ray Allen!) looked set for an easier series than their previous bout with Indiana. But as we all witnessed, the Spurs took game 1 with some end game heroics and a bit of luck. While the Heat took a convincing game 2 win, there is still that feeling of uneasiness from both the Heat fans and hoops fans in general such as myself. Despite losing this one, San Antonio could very well be the second team in Finals history to sweep its home games and claim title number 5.

TampaDude
06-09-2013, 11:00 PM
..The Pistons, heavy underdogs, met the L.A. Lakers in what was dubbed as a series mismatch of epic proportions. The Lakers, loaded with stars Shaq and Kobe plus added veterans looking for a ring -- Gary Payton and Karl Malone, looked set for an easy series. But, the opposite happened. The Pistons got a split in L.A. before holding serve in the their middle-three home games to clinch the title.

The Spurs are somewhat in a similar situation. Picked as the underdog. Miami with its big wallet stars plus veteran defectors looking for a quick ring (Ray Allen!) looked set for an easier series than their previous bout with Indiana. But as we all witnessed, the Spurs took game 1 with some end game heroics and a bit of luck. While the Heat took a convincing game 2 win, there is still that feeling of uneasiness from both the Heat fans and hoops fans in general such as myself. Despite losing this one, San Antonio could very well be the second team in Finals history to sweep its home games and claim title number 5.

You are correct...Spurs in 5.

Budkin
06-09-2013, 11:01 PM
3rd team. Miami did it last year. But yes.

lefty
06-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Except that the Pistons lost a close one in game 2

We just got destroyed

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-09-2013, 11:04 PM
This Finals brings two distinct Finals to mind: The 2001 Sixers and the 2004 Pistons.

2001 Sixers: Steal Game One on the Lakers' home court, then promptly lose four in a row and lose the entire series. Lose 4-1.

2004 Pistons: Steal Game One on the Lakers' home court, lose Game Two, but rebound with three consecutive games. Win 4-1.

I too see a lot of similarity between the 2013 Spurs and 2004 Pistons, but............this series has me concerned.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-09-2013, 11:05 PM

We just got destroyed

Yes, I too think that is the main difference.

The 2004 Pistons won big on the road and then lost narrowly.

The 2013 Spurs won narrowly on the road and then lost by a large margin.

therealtruth
06-09-2013, 11:10 PM
I think the Warriors series might be a better example. The Heat have controlled most of games 1 and 2. The only difference is we're going back home now. But we still need to refocus and figure out a defensive gameplan that works.

KaiRMD1
06-09-2013, 11:12 PM
How about this:

That was then and this is now

gasolina
06-09-2013, 11:34 PM
I agree. The Warriors series is somewhat similar. But in that series, the Spurs had HCA. It was more nerve-wracking imho especially for you Spurs fans considering they got a split going into Golden State for games 3 and 4. But as we all know, the Spurs found a way and regained control of the series and ultimately advancing to the WCF. In this case, getting a split in Miami is a victory in itself. Now, the Spurs go home 1-1 with the next three games to be played with the comfort of their home floor.

PGDynasty24
06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Comparing apples to oranges; that Lakers team was blowing up from the inside and was significantly older than this group of heat. Malone went out and Slava Medvadenko was guarding Sheed for god sakes,and Kobe was injured that whole season mentally/physically from the trial. This Miami team is better than that Lakers squad.

gasolina
06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Heat fans now think they can do what they did to OKC last year. Well, last year, it was Miami who got a split in OKC going home 1-1 with the next three games in South Beach. In this case, the Spurs could very well do the same thing to them! Game 3 is critical for San Antonio. The Spurs never trailed in an NBA Finals series. Them winning game 1 is very good sign since all previous titles were won by winning game 1. And in all the Finals the Spurs won, they were up at least 2-1 with the only exception being the Cavs series which was a sweep. So all the Spurs have to do is win game 3 and the numerology guide would be intact.

Relax. Nobody really really really deep deep down inside believed this was going to be a sweep. And hey, 2013 is an odd year - the galaxies are aligned as if it is in a LONE STAR state of mind! :wow

Sean Cagney
06-09-2013, 11:52 PM
You are correct...Spurs in 5.

Stay the course bro! Maybe I had us in 6 but I like the 5.

elmanutres
06-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Heat fans now think they can do what they did to OKC last year. Well, last year, it was Miami who got a split in OKC going home 1-1 with the next three games in South Beach. In this case, the Spurs could very well do the same thing to them! Game 3 is critical for San Antonio. The Spurs never trailed in an NBA Finals series. Them winning game 1 is very good sign since all previous titles were won by winning game 1. And in all the Finals the Spurs won, they were up at least 2-1 with the only exception being the Cavs series which was a sweep. So all the Spurs have to do is win game 3 and the numerology guide would be intact.

Relax. Nobody really really really deep deep down inside believed this was going to be a sweep. And hey, 2013 is an odd year - the galaxies are aligned as if it is in a LONE STAR state of mind! :wow
except heat fans

BatManu20
06-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Miami is much better than that 2004 Lakers team imo. I don't see us winning 3 straight against this team, which is why I think our best shot is to win 2 of the next 3 and try to close it out in game 6 in Miami. Game 7 would be nearly impossible imo.

therealtruth
06-10-2013, 12:49 AM
I agree. The Warriors series is somewhat similar. But in that series, the Spurs had HCA. It was more nerve-wracking imho especially for you Spurs fans considering they got a split going into Golden State for games 3 and 4. But as we all know, the Spurs found a way and regained control of the series and ultimately advancing to the WCF. In this case, getting a split in Miami is a victory in itself. Now, the Spurs go home 1-1 with the next three games to be played with the comfort of their home floor.

The other similarity with the GS series is that there are adjustments to be made in the help defense and preventing the Heat's shooters from hurting us.

Robz4000
06-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Miami is much better than that 2004 Lakers team imo. I don't see us winning 3 straight against this team, which is why I think our best shot is to win 2 of the next 3 and try to close it out in game 6 in Miami. Game 7 would be nearly impossible imo.

That 2004 Lakers team would shit all over the 2013 Heat provided they were healthy. The 2004 Spurs and 2004 Pistons would as well.

Brutalis
06-10-2013, 12:56 AM
I just want Duncan never to play like a swollen pussy ever again.

gasolina
06-10-2013, 01:02 AM
It would be fitting if it ended in game 5 with the Spurs clinching title no. 5

Agloco
06-10-2013, 01:08 AM
3rd team. Miami did it last year. But yes.

4th actually. Both Miami titles were won after taking all three home games. Unless this is meant as winning it in 5, then yes they'd be the third team.

Budkin
06-10-2013, 01:10 AM
4th actually. Both Miami titles were won after taking all three home games. Unless this is meant as winning it in 5, then yes they'd be the third team.

Ah you're right... forgot about that.

Sean Cagney
06-10-2013, 02:31 AM
It would be fitting if it ended in game 5 with the Spurs clinching title no. 5

YES IT WOULD!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ
06-10-2013, 04:55 AM
Now if Karl Malone can only get injured . . .

Rapper
06-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Heat in 5????!!

Thebesteva
06-10-2013, 05:16 AM

I was making this comparison as well earlier. The only difference is even in that miraculous game 2 that Kobe single handily won (and some help from Luke Walton of all people), the Pistons would not give up until it was Overtime with 3 minutes left. Spurs got annhilated in the 3rd-4th.

MilesTeg
06-10-2013, 05:45 AM
People forgot that the Lakers stole game 2. That series should've been a sweep.

Regardless, there's no reason not to be confident. Tied series with home court advantage, the ball is in our camp.

gasolina
06-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Yup. It is now a best-of-5 that should end in 5 to clinch title number 5!
5-5-5 is very lucky.

spurspokesman
06-10-2013, 08:27 AM

We just got destroyed This and there bigs didnt have a vagina like splitter smh

boutons_deux
06-10-2013, 08:30 AM

There was no Malone. He bitch-slapped Tim the WCF, then somebody fell on his knee and he didn't play the Finals, a major advantage for the Pistons.

spurspokesman
06-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I just want Duncan never to play like a swollen pussy ever again.
This

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-10-2013, 10:00 AM
This Miami team is better than that Lakers squad.

This Spurs team may be better than that 2004 Pistons team, too.