PDA

View Full Version : 33-5

TDfan2007
06-10-2013, 12:20 PM
I've avidly watched this team since the start of the 2002-2003 season, and off the top of my head I can't recall a run quite like this against our guys.

Blowout or not, this team has showed tremendous resolve all season in bouncing back from losses, but man...that run was just devastating to watch as a fan.

Has there ever been a run quite like this against a Spurs playoff team in the Duncan era?

dbreiden83080
06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
That's what happens when you stop playing..

And in the Duncan era they got blown out by the Sonics twice and the Pistons.. That was just in 2005..

TDfan2007
06-10-2013, 12:30 PM
That's what happens when you stop playing..

And in the Duncan era they got blown out by the Sonics twice and the Pistons.. That was just in 2005..

They got blown out by the sonics in one of the games, in the other Timmy missed the potential game winner. As for the Pistons series, yes, they were both blowouts, but I don't recall a run like the 33-5 wallop that Miami put on us last night.

rold50
06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Spurs lost 79-96 to the Pistons in Game 3 of 2005 NBA finals. They then lost by 31 points in Game 4 of the NBA finals (71-102).

TheGreatYacht
06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I've avidly watched this team since the start of the 2002-2003 season, and off the top of my head I can't recall a run quite like this against our guys.
Blowout or not, this team has showed tremendous resolve all season in bouncing back from losses, but man...that run was just devastating to watch as a fan.
Has there ever been a run quite like this against a Spurs playoff team in the Duncan era?A big run like that 25-3 run in the 4th quarter no but I can recall a couple of instances where the Spurs looked like they had control of a series only to lose on the road and not be able to recover.

The first one I can remember was the 2004 series against the Lakers. The spurs won their first two games at home in blowout fashion. Everyone was saying that the series was over and that the Spurs had control of the series. Then the Spurs went on the road and lost the next two games at Staples Center. Series tied at 2-2. For Game 5 at San Antonio, the game was a nail biter and then the Derek Fisher 0.4 seconds on the clock happened. Spurs lose Game 6.

The second one I can remember was last year. Against OKC the Spurs won their first two games at home with ease. The Spurs were looking like the best team on the NBA and on their way to the NBA finals. Then the Spurs lost two straight games at OKC. Series tied 2-2. Then on Game 5 at San Antonio, Serge Ibaka had the game of his life. The dude went like 12-13 from the field and had a carrer high of 28 points or something like that. A lot of this Tim Duncan is to blame for because Timmy is known for letting his man shoot wide open perimeter shots, just like he's doing with Chris Bosh or Udonis Haslem. Then on Game 6, the Spurs had a 15 point halftime lead and looked like the game was a blowout. What happens on the second half? The refs take over. Bill Kennedy waves a couple of three pointers for the Spurs, issues a technical foul to Stephen Jackson after a three point shot, Bill Kennedy calls a few offensive fouls (phanotom calls), and OKC ends up winning the game in a nail biter. The game was rigged. Spurs get eliminated.

superjames1992
06-10-2013, 01:45 PM
We got crucified two games in a row against Detroit at the Palace in the 2005 NBA Finals, tbh.

Budkin
06-10-2013, 01:47 PM
We got crucified two games in a row against Detroit at the Palace in the 2005 NBA Finals, tbh.

That game 4 was an ass whipping of epic proportions. I know we all started to lose faith in the Spurs at that point. The Pistons were the defending champs and playing like it.

Splits
06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
2008 WCSF New Orleans beat us by 18, 19, and 21. We bounced back each time and won the series.

superjames1992
06-10-2013, 01:55 PM
2008 WCSF New Orleans beat us by 18, 19, and 21. We bounced back each time and won the series.
And after all those ass whippings, we won game 7 in New Orleans. That was a great win.

Then the Lakers crushed us in the WCFs, tbh... :(

Wasn't that the year Manu broke his nose and wore a Richard Hamilton-esque mask? :lol

Sean Cagney
06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
That game 4 was an ass whipping of epic proportions. I know we all started to lose faith in the Spurs at that point. The Pistons were the defending champs and playing like it.

I felt all of the above you said after that game and remember the feeling. The next game was in Detroit too to top it off and they could go up 3-2 if they get that game 5. I was scared.

Spurminator
06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
As rough as last night was, I still remember feeling worse about the Detroit losses as far as watching another team just impose its will on the Spurs.

SnakeBoy
06-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Has there ever been a run quite like this against a Spurs playoff team in the Duncan era?

Spurs have had plenty of turds during the Duncan era. Often enough that it isn't unexpected when Pop just calls the game early and empties the bench. I think it's "The Run" that is throwing you off. That is misleading because without Green & Leonard this was a blowout from start to finish but they can't carry a team for 48. I think even Magic made a comment at halftime to the effect that it feels like the Spurs should be gettting blown out.

I'm not worried.........yet.

pikkiwoki
06-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Spurs have had plenty of turds during the Duncan era. Often enough that it isn't unexpected when Pop just calls the game early and empties the bench. I think it's "The Run" that is throwing you off. That is misleading because without Green & Leonard this was a blowout from start to finish but they can't carry a team for 48. I think even Magic made a comment at halftime to the effect that it feels like the Spurs should be gettting blown out.

I'm not worried.........yet.

tbh i would put zero stock in anything that halftime crew says. see: halftime of game 1.

phxspurfan
06-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Just one game guys. Everyone's gonna blow it out of proportion, but as long as don't play like dogshit every game, every game should be competitive (as they should be between the league's top two teams).

spurraider21
06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
They got blown out by the sonics in one of the games, in the other Timmy missed the potential game winner. As for the Pistons series, yes, they were both blowouts, but I don't recall a run like the 33-5 wallop that Miami put on us last night.

Spurs lost 79-96 to the Pistons in Game 3 of 2005 NBA finals. They then lost by 31 points in Game 4 of the NBA finals (71-102).

i have faith. keep in mind, when miami wins, they usually win big. they stomped the pacers in games 3, 5, and 7 after losing close games in games 2 and 4

Spurs7794
06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
This 33-5 run sucked...but it was a 6 minute blitz after the game was neck and neck up to that point. The spurs let up and the floodgates opened. In my mind, it wasn't even close to as devastating as the shellacking we got in game 4 against Detroit where we were dominated the entire way. Hell, I felt worse after the way GS dominated us in games 1 and 2 this year.

dbreiden83080
06-10-2013, 05:13 PM

They got walloped 96-79 and 102-71 in the Piston series. Seriously WTF is the difference about the run that did it? An ass kicking is an ass kicking..

slick'81
06-10-2013, 05:19 PM
It was incredible to witness

sananspursfan21
06-10-2013, 05:22 PM
this is nothing to freak out about yet. i think they needed a good butt beating. bring them back to reality that they're gonna have to do a lot more than have parker and green bail them out late in the game

mercos
06-10-2013, 05:23 PM
We give up runs like that all the time. When the Spurs quit, they quit BIG.

sananspursfan21
06-10-2013, 05:24 PM
i give credit to miami for taking opportunity by the throat, but they did just that. spurs handed that one to them on a silver platter. manu was like the quarterback handing it off to james, the running back. truthfully i think manu just wanted to see one of those huge lebron slams since it didn't happen in game 1

Jenks
06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
The closest game that comes to mind from the Spurs is the 2008 WCF game 1. Up 20 vs the Lakers, they completely collapsed starting at the end of the 3rd. That of course was due to having no legs, since they just finished Game 7 in New Orleans, and then sat in a plane all night (or some weird shit).

More recently, this game felt like an exact mirror of Pacers Knicks game 2. Away team took game 1, close game towards the end of the 3rd, and then the home team just completely explodes and visiting team implodes at the exact same time, you blink and the lead goes from 5 to 25. Let's hope the series goes the same way that one did.

Kool Bob Love
06-10-2013, 07:37 PM
I dont even remember those losses. Only the wins.

I hope I can say the same about game 2.

Obstructed_View
06-10-2013, 07:55 PM
If only Miami could carry some of those points over. They can't. They lost home court. It's still the Spurs' series to lose. Dominated for a few minutes is bad. The Spurs were dominated for two games in Detroit and managed to find a way. Someone's going to have to play the Horry role for this year's team or they'll be just another playoff afterthought.

DarrinS
06-10-2013, 08:02 PM
The Detroit blowouts were demoralizing.

pgardn
06-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Detroit were the real champs having destroyed the mighty Lakers.

yes... Ok...

DMX7
06-10-2013, 08:25 PM

That's a good point. We lost by 31 to them, lol. And we still won the series.

elmanutres
06-10-2013, 09:05 PM
This 33-5 run sucked...but it was a 6 minute blitz after the game was neck and neck up to that point. The spurs let up and the floodgates opened. In my mind, it wasn't even close to as devastating as the shellacking we got in game 4 against Detroit where we were dominated the entire way. Hell, I felt worse after the way GS dominated us in games 1 and 2 this year.

i feel the same way, the pistons handed our ass to us twice in a row and the warriors looked like they were just going to run in circles around the spurs and outrun them. At least we were keeping the game close like in game 1, until they did that run.