PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan or bust

spursince#99
06-10-2013, 05:58 PM
It is what it is. Tim Duncan is the ONLY player with a clear cut advantage for us in this series, and if Tim Duncan doesn't exert his will then we're going fishing. I was fucking disgusted at how he continuously tried turnaround fade away jumpers on a player who is clearly 4 inches shorter than him and about 20+ pounds lighter. He HAS to punish Haslem, Birdman, and Anthony in the post for us to win. I mean this is ridiculous man I never thought I'd see the day where Duncan played like such a pussy. Oh and Manu Ginobili? Pop may be 1 game away from apologizing to Stephen Jackson, and I'll leave that at that.

BatManu20
06-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Pretty much. Manu has to play better too. A lot better. If the Big 3 don't collectively show up, it won't matter how well Green and Leonard play. It will be nice to be back on our home floor though. Feels like it's been forever.

spursince#99
06-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Pretty much. Manu has to play better too. A lot better. If the Big 3 don't collectively show up, it won't matter how well Green and Leonard play.

That's what I'm saying, and Leonard and Green practically carried us both offensively and defensively last night. You can only ask role players to do so much. Especially against a team like the Heat.

Kidd K
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
What gets me a bit about Duncan (and Splitter too for that matter) is that they are failing to establish deep post position at ANY time. They rarely are able to get a shot off within 8 feet of the basket unless they're cutting for a layup. That's a problem that needs to be addressed.

It isn't as much a matter of them not doing well once they get the ball (out of their range) as it is them needing to do more work before receiving the ball. Miami's frontcourt players are worse than most of the guys the Spurs have faced up 'til now, so it's a matchup they need to be abusing.

DesignatedT
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Duncan doesn't have 20+ pounds on anyone :lol

spursince#99
06-10-2013, 06:10 PM
What gets me a bit about Duncan (and Splitter too for that matter) is that they are failing to establish deep post position at ANY time. They rarely are able to get a shot off within 8 feet of the basket unless they're cutting for a layup. That's a problem that needs to be addressed.

It isn't as much a matter of them not doing well once they get the ball (out of their range) as it is them needing to do more work before receiving the ball. Miami's frontcourt players are worse than most of the guys the Spurs have faced up 'til now, so it's a matchup they need to be abusing.

+1

ThaBigFundamental21
06-10-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm shocked with Tim's play TBH. He is playing timid. I thought we would see an ultra aggressive Tim Duncan. I thought he wanted another ring? Sure doesn't look like it. Is it possible for the team to get fired up and play like they actually want a ring??? Manu? Tim? I'm looking at you both. Where is the extra effort? It's only 2 games in tied, but I'm not happy. With all the talk of trying to get one more ring? Tim comes out and delivers this shit??? When we get home I better see some fuckin passion with the crowd and all.

ironman2886
06-10-2013, 06:12 PM
No. Let's all blame Neal [rolls eyes]. The big three have to show up, or the Spurs won't win. That simple.

Tuddy
06-10-2013, 06:20 PM
He might have forgotten how to dominate smaller guys down low. But yeah he can punish any of those guys at will bosh included

Tuddy
06-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Birdman is so bad holding his position in the post and bosh isn't much better

therealtruth
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
It is what it is. Tim Duncan is the ONLY player with a clear cut advantage for us in this series, and if Tim Duncan doesn't exert his will then we're going fishing. I was fucking disgusted at how he continuously tried turnaround fade away jumpers on a player who is clearly 4 inches shorter than him and about 20+ pounds lighter. He HAS to punish Haslem, Birdman, and Anthony in the post for us to win. I mean this is ridiculous man I never thought I'd see the day where Duncan played like such a pussy. Oh and Manu Ginobili? Pop may be 1 game away from apologizing to Stephen Jackson, and I'll leave that at that.

The Heat were making him uncomfortable. He needs to get the ball closer to the basket or on the move. That will open up his jumpshot.

Thomas82
06-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I agree with every post in here.

TheGoldStandard
06-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Tim Duncan needs to man up and show his cajones. No way should Haslem, Anderson and Bosh keep you away from the basket. Impose your will and own your space, be ready to take that foul. Hate that shitty fade away crap he was settling for in game 2.

TheGreatYacht
06-10-2013, 11:49 PM
It isn't as much a matter of them not doing well once they get the ball (out of their range) as it is them needing to do more work before receiving the ball. Miami's frontcourt players are worse than most of the guys the Spurs have faced up 'til now, so it's a matchup they need to be abusing.I think the Heat are using the Pop strategy to defend bigs which is to front them. Tim Duncan is just being lazy by not demanding the ball or trying to fight through the fronting. Maybe he's trying to conserve energy to play good defense. One would think that after watching the Heat battling against the Pacers bigs would motivate Pop and Duncan to simulate Roy Hibbert's game. Duncan is more than capable of playing like Hibbert, I mean he did teach the guy some post moves during the summer. Hibbert is Duncan's student.

Our other bigs also need to step up and do some of this:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216479&p=6644558#post6644558

Gkm
06-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Duncan doesn't have 20+ pounds on anyone :lol

This. he lost weight people, do you guys think he still as strong as he was with 20 + pounds less? of course not.

why do u think splitter dont backup anyone on the post? he is weak thats all.

the only chance for duncan dominate is if he uses moves to pump fake people and get them in the air, he is not going to get his way using strenght.

TheGoldStandard
06-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Its about positioning and attacking with the position in order to create a shot for Tim. The spacing was shitty and Tim was not demanding the ball enough plus it took forever for the offense to get into the set, they kept running clock and pulling the ball out. Tony needs to run the Pick n roll with someone other than tim to create that space, or play a two man game when Tim is posted up so that the low post defender won't double and attack parker to keep him out of the lane and timmy needs to go strong to the basket. They kept showing and then fronting Tim and Parker and Manu kept running away. Just sad basketball, no execution and they played scared.

chapnis
06-11-2013, 01:13 AM
If Parker doesn't have a clear-cut advantage then we are screwed.

tesseractive
06-11-2013, 01:16 AM
:tu

TheGoldStandard
06-11-2013, 01:46 AM

Everyone sits at the 3 point line waiting to receive the ball but if Tony isn't getting into the paint the defense doesn't have to do squat but stay at home and collapse a little to keep him out. They need movement and slashing to the basket. Kawhi needs to move around the baseline more and then pump fake that 3 and drive for a better shot since it's not falling for him.

BillMc
06-11-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm shocked with Tim's play TBH. He is playing timid. I thought we would see an ultra aggressive Tim Duncan. I thought he wanted another ring? Sure doesn't look like it. Is it possible for the team to get fired up and play like they actually want a ring??? Manu? Tim? I'm looking at you both. Where is the extra effort? It's only 2 games in tied, but I'm not happy. With all the talk of trying to get one more ring? Tim comes out and delivers this shit??? When we get home I better see some fuckin passion with the crowd and all.

Actually, I think Tim and Manu's emotions should go the opposite way. Tim should get fired up, Manu should just calm down.