PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Top 5 playoff runs by individual player.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 07:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9357345/greatest-individual-postseasons-1-5

Number 2 and 3 meeting in these Finals. :toast

hitmanyr2k
06-10-2013, 07:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9357345/greatest-individual-postseasons-1-5

Number 2 and 3 meeting in these Finals. :toast

Number 2 doesn't even belong there. Where the fuck is Hakeem Olajuwon on that list? His '95 run was one for the ages.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Number 2 doesn't even belong there. Where the fuck is Hakeem Olajuwon on that list? His '95 run was one for the ages.

You're right. Sadly, Hakeem's run will be forever underrated because he didn't have to :cry go through Jordan :cry

Anyone got Insider who can post the full list?

irishock
06-10-2013, 07:18 PM
:lmao Dirk 2011 ranked number 50

:lmao behind Pau Gasol 2010

seriously, even John Hollinger produces better lists than this one

baseline bum
06-10-2013, 07:21 PM
How is Wade 2006 not in the top 6?

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 07:23 PM

I'm sure it's top 10.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Anyone know where Kirby's '08 run ranks?

That was shaping up to be a historically great run until he choked in the Finals.

hitmanyr2k
06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
You're right. Sadly, Hakeem's run will be forever underrated because he didn't have to :cry go through Jordan :cry

Anyone got Insider who can post the full list?

Agreed but it shouldn't matter if Jordan was there or not. The '95 Rockets put up a historic run and didn't face one shit team the entire playoffs. They went through THREE 60 win teams (and a 59 win team lol) without HCA and Olajuwon just dominated on both ends. How in the hell is he not Top 5? Is he even Top 10?

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Agreed but it shouldn't matter if Jordan was there or not. The '95 Rockets put up a historic run and didn't face one shit team the entire playoffs. They went through THREE 60 win teams (and a 59 win team lol) without HCA and Olajuwon just dominated on both ends. How in the hell is he not Top 5? Is he even Top 10?

He has to be.

Don't have Insider, so I don't know, but I'm sure he is.

Arcadian
06-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah, can someone post the entire list? That would be wonderful.

The metric is solid. The top 5 came out nicely.

Brazil
06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Idk maybe I'm totally smoking a banana leaf but dirk 2011 should be near top 5 IMHO and Lebron 2012 is not number 2.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Idk maybe I'm totally smoking a banana leaf but dirk 2011 should be near top 5 IMHO and Lebron 2012 is not number 2.

Smoking a banana leaf.

Dirk's 2011 run is slightly overrated. Top 20-25 for sure, but I couldn't justify putting it in the top 10.

Dirk's best playoff run was actually '06. He drilled the Spurs (who were a better team than anything he faced in 2011), capping off that series with 37 points in Game 7, which was on the Spurs home floor. He dropped 50 on the Suns in the WCF. And while he played below par in the Finals, he wasn't the reason they lost the series. He put up 29 and 15 in Game 6, while Terry and Josh Howard combined for 30 points on 12-41 shooting, a game that the Mavs lost by 3.

Rogue
06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
06 dirk and 07 lebron are the first two runs coming to my head. both fell short in the finals but it was already a legit achievement to carry a load of shitty asses to the finals imho.

Thebesteva
06-10-2013, 08:27 PM
It's amazing that Lebron has time to reload his jizz from the mass amounts of BJ's he gets from ESPN

hitmanyr2k
06-10-2013, 08:38 PM
06 dirk and 07 lebron are the first two runs coming to my head. both fell short in the finals but it was already a legit achievement to carry a load of shitty asses to the finals imho.

Are you kidding with this? The Eastern conference was so weak that year you didn't need the best of the best teammates to advance in the playoffs. That Cavs team got to the Finals by committee...similar to the 2009 Magic. It wasn't just Lebron playing Superman every game. He was the big name so he got the credit but every game there was someone different stepping up whether it Gibson, Ilgauskas, Gooden, etc. The Cavs were also a very solid defensive and rebounding team. Lebron had many cold shooting nights and shot 41% for that playoff run. He had that HUGE Game 5 against the Pistons but who's going to remember Daniel Gibson scoring 31 (19 in the 4th qtr) to close out the Pistons in Game 6 to avoid a Game 7 in Detroit?

MeloHype
06-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Lebrons' run last year was amazingly great tbh.

StrengthAndHonor
06-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Wade's 2006 run was whole lot better than Lebron. Amazing how ESPN's own people contradict each other.

Hollinger came out with his PER based report two years ago and Wade was # 1. UNderstand its only till 2011, but how can someone not include Wade in their Top 6.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-1

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 08:45 PM
It shouldn't be. It was a farce. 112 FTAs. 97 makes. In 6 Finals games? :rollin :lmao :rollin

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 08:47 PM
^ This is one of many reasons why Dream >> TD tbh. Only center to legitimately bust Shaq's ass in the playoffs too.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
^ This is one of many reasons why Dream >> TD tbh. Only center to legitimately bust Shaq's ass in the playoffs too.

If you consider Duncan a center, he thoroughly outplayed Shaq in '99 and '03. And yes, they guarded each other a lot in those two series.

StrengthAndHonor
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
It shouldn't be. It was a farce. 112 FTAs. 97 makes. In 6 Finals games? :rollin :lmao :rollin

Why is Wade being penalized for taking advantage of the system?

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 08:55 PM
If you consider Duncan a center, he thoroughly outplayed Shaq in '99 and '03. And yes, they guarded each other a lot in those two series.

TD outplayed Shaq during those years. I'll agree. But he didn't bust Shaq's ass. Dream did in '94.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 08:56 PM
TD outplayed Shaq during those years. I'll agree. But he didn't bust Shaq's ass. Dream did in '94.

What do you consider "busting ass?"

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Why is Wade being penalized for taking advantage of the system?

Wade is an NBA manufactured superstar. No way in hell should he have shot that many FTAs. Below is a list of NBA legends (including big men that historically shot a lot of FTAs) that never shot that many FTAs in the playoffs, let along the Finals:

:lol MJ
:lol KAJ
:lol LeBron
:lol TD
:lol Ewing
:lol Dream
:lol Bird
:lol Shaq
:lol Wilt
:loln and :loln

You mean to tell me Wade deserved more FTAs than these guys? No way son. It was a farce I tell you. Didn't know Stern hated Cuban that much. :lol

baseline bum
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM

LOL, still remember Shaq talking all kinds of shit about how he was going to guard Duncan from the beginning and shut him down for game 3 of the 99 WCSF. So Duncan reels off something like 14 quick points to begin the game and Rambis has to switch O'Neal back off him. :lol

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/playoffs/western/news/1999/05/22/spurs_lakers_game3/lg_duncan_ap_01.jpg
Tim bomb: Shaq and the Lakers could not prevent Tim Duncan's offensive explosion. AP

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Not only did he sweep Shaq, looking at the series, it was crystal clear who the best big man on the floor was. Shaq even admitted it. When he played TD, it wasn't always the case.

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:10 PM
LOL, still remember Shaq talking all kinds of shit about how he was going to guard Duncan from the beginning and shut him down for game 3 of the 99 WCSF. So Duncan reels off something like 14 quick points to begin the game and Rambis has to switch O'Neal back off him. :lol

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/playoffs/western/news/1999/05/22/spurs_lakers_game3/lg_duncan_ap_01.jpg
Tim bomb: Shaq and the Lakers could not prevent Tim Duncan's offensive explosion. AP
Case in point ^. Shaq got his and Duncan got his too. It wasn't crystal clear who the best big on the floor was all the time. In '94, there was no doubt.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Not only did he sweep Shaq, looking at the series, it was crystal clear who the best big man on the floor was. Shaq even admitted it. When he played TD, it wasn't always the case.

Pretty compelling case here (was also a sweep):

'99:

Duncan: 29ppg, 10.8rpg, 3.3apg, 2.0blk, .513 shooting.

Shaq: 23.8ppg, 13rpg, 0.5apg, 1.8blk, .492 shooting.

hitmanyr2k
06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Wade is an NBA manufactured superstar. No way in hell should he have shot that many FTAs. Below is a list of NBA legends (including big men that historically shot a lot of FTAs) that never shot that many FTAs in the playoffs, let along the Finals:

:lol MJ
:lol KAJ
:lol LeBron
:lol TD
:lol Ewing
:lol Dream
:lol Bird
:lol Shaq
:lol Wilt
:loln and :loln

You mean to tell me Wade deserved more FTAs than these guys? No way son. It was a farce I tell you. Didn't know Stern hated Cuban that much. :lol

The funny thing is Cuban did this to himself. He was the one who spoke to the NBA brass about lessening the defense and giving the perimeter players more leverage to operate after watching the 2004 Finals. Little did he know his advice would blow up in his face two seasons later.

baseline bum
06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
It's pretty funny Laker fan likes to always blame JR Reid and Kurt Rambis for the 99 sweep, but Shaq got absolutely slaughtered by Duncan whenever he guarded him that series. If Laker fan wants to blame anyone on their squad they should blame Jerry West for trading for Rice, as those Lakers owned the Spurs back when they had Eddie Jones.

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Pretty compelling case here (was also a sweep):

'99:

Duncan: 29ppg, 10.8rpg, 3.3apg, 2.0blk, .513 shooting.

Shaq: 23.8ppg, 13rpg, 0.5apg, 1.8blk, .492 shooting.

Damn. :lol

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Damn. :lol

It was good for Shaq and good for your Lakers.

After being embarrassed by a 2nd year player, Shaq came back with a vengeance and authored what was arguably the greatest peak in NBA history.

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:23 PM
It's pretty funny Laker fan likes to always blame JR Reid and Kurt Rambis for the 99 sweep, but Shaq got absolutely slaughtered by Duncan whenever he guarded him that series. If Laker fan wants to blame anyone on their squad they should blame Jerry West for trading for Rice, as those Lakers owned the Spurs back when they had Eddie Jones.
You need to thank JW for foolishly trading Seldom Campbell and EJ for Rice's bum ass. We got 1 ring out of it, sure, but imagine what PJ could have done with Kobe and EJ running the wings, Ceballos on the baseline, NVE wreaking havoc, Shaq, and Horry? Rick Fox later came into the mix. You guys would have zero rings tbh. :lol

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:25 PM
The funny thing is Cuban did this to himself. He was the one who spoke to the NBA brass about lessening the defense and giving the perimeter players more leverage to operate after watching the 2004 Finals. Little did he know his advice would blow up in his face two seasons later.

:lol

baseline bum
06-10-2013, 09:26 PM
It was good for Shaq and good for your Lakers.

After being embarrassed by a 2nd year player, Shaq came back with a vengeance and authored what was arguably the greatest peak in NBA history.

Are you talking about the 2001 playoffs or the 1999-2002 era? Because if it's the latter, I have to strongly disagree. Those Lakers teams played lazy and down to their competition a lot of times, only to squeak games out at the end (they were easily the best I have ever seen at winning close games). Now if you mean that 2001 team being perhaps the best, you can make a good case for that. They were incredible at guarding the three point line, Fisher played by far the best basketball of his career, and Shaq & Kobe put aside their bullshit for a few weeks.

baseline bum
06-10-2013, 09:29 PM
You need to thank JW for foolishly trading Seldom Campbell and EJ for Rice's bum ass. We got 1 ring out of it, sure, but imagine what PJ could have done with Kobe and EJ running the wings, Ceballos on the baseline, NVE wreaking havoc, Shaq, and Horry? Rick Fox later came into the mix. You guys would have zero rings tbh. :lol

Rice did have his moments in game 7 against Portland, but overall he was fucking horrible. I still remember in the locker room championship celebration one of the local reporters going and asking Glen Rice's son (sitting on his dad's shoulders) where he wants daddy to play next year. Kid blurts out "Miami!" :lol

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Rice did have his moments in game 7 against Portland, but overall he was fucking horrible. I still remember in the locker room championship celebration one of the local reporters going and asking Glen Rice's son (sitting on his dad's shoulders) where he wants daddy to play next year. Kid blurts out "Miami!" :lol
His wife was a POS too IIRC. :lol

baseline bum
06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
His wife was a POS too IIRC. :lol

LOL that stupid Cuban cun.t dragging Rice out to the Federal Building in Westwood to protest Elian Gonzalez getting sent back to his father the day before a Finals game.

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
LOL that stupid Cuban cun.t dragging Rice out to the Federal Building in Westwood to protest Elian Gonzalez getting sent back to his father the day before a Finals game.
:rollin :lmao :rollin

baseline bum
06-10-2013, 09:42 PM
:rollin :lmao :rollin

Nigga loves him some right-wing retard bitches. Like this stupid whore:

http://zennie62blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/glen-rice-sarah-palin.jpg

LkrFan
06-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Nigga loves him some right-wing retard bitches. Like this stupid whore:

http://zennie62blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/glen-rice-sarah-palin.jpg
I remember det story! L.M.A.:lmao.

lefty
06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Although he didnt ring, Iverson had a great playoff run in 2001

Phillip
06-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Number 2 doesn't even belong there.

Don't be retarded.

:lmao Dirk 2011 ranked number 50

:lmao behind Pau Gasol 2010

seriously, even John Hollinger produces better lists than this one

I can't see the whole list. Are you serious or trolling?

Dirk's 2011 run is slightly overrated. Top 20-25 for sure, but I couldn't justify putting it in the top 10.

I think it definitely is justifiable for top 10, considering the difficulty of opponents that the Mavs had to go through. Every team was a high quality team.

Dirk's best playoff run was actually '06. He drilled the Spurs (who were a better team than anything he faced in 2011), capping off that series with 37 points in Game 7, which was on the Spurs home floor. He dropped 50 on the Suns in the WCF. And while he played below par in the Finals, he wasn't the reason they lost the series. He put up 29 and 15 in Game 6, while Terry and Josh Howard combined for 30 points on 12-41 shooting, a game that the Mavs lost by 3.

I do agree that his 06 run was actually probably better than the 11 run. If it weren't for refs screwing them in game 5 with garbage, he would be remembered for hitting that ridiculous fade-away GW right in Shaq's face, and probably winning it all. And the way he completely dominated Memphis, SA, and Phoenix... it was incredible. And again, those were all very high quality teams. Especially the Spurs. I still think its arguable that the 06 Spurs are a better basketball team than any of their championship squads. The Mavs were simply a bad matchup for them, and had to play a hell of a series to barely beat SA in OT in game 7.

But what made the 2011 run so unique were all the insane comebacks he manufactured (especially game 1 against LA, game 4 against OKC, and game 2 against Miami) and two game winners in the finals. I'm not sure there are many, if any runs in history with so many clutch buckets, as Dirk's in 11 had.

Dirk played at a generally higher level in the 06 run, but the clutch factor of 11 is pretty much impossible to match for any player.

midnightpulp
06-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Don't be retarded.

I can't see the whole list. Are you serious or trolling?

I think it definitely is justifiable for top 10, considering the difficulty of opponents that the Mavs had to go through. Every team was a high quality team.

I do agree that his 06 run was actually probably better than the 11 run. If it weren't for refs screwing them in game 5 with garbage, he would be remembered for hitting that ridiculous fade-away GW right in Shaq's face, and probably winning it all. And the way he completely dominated Memphis, SA, and Phoenix... it was incredible. And again, those were all very high quality teams. Especially the Spurs. I still think its arguable that the 06 Spurs are a better basketball team than any of their championship squads. The Mavs were simply a bad matchup for them, and had to play a hell of a series to barely beat SA in OT in game 7.

But what made the 2011 run so unique were all the insane comebacks he manufactured (especially game 1 against LA, game 4 against OKC, and game 2 against Miami) and two game winners in the finals. I'm not sure there are many, if any runs in history with so many clutch buckets, as Dirk's in 11 had.

Dirk played at a generally higher level in the 06 run, but the clutch factor of 11 is pretty much impossible to match for any player.

Yeah, I might have to agree. Especially since Duncan seemed to return to his '03 form (at least on the offensive end), despite the plantar fasciitis.

Dirk vs. Duncan in that series:

Duncan: 32.2ppg, 11.7rpg, 3.7apg, 2.5blk, 1.0spg, .556FG

Dirk: 27.1ppg, 13.3rpg, 2.7apg, 0.4blk, 1.3spg, .527FG

Best player duel in the post-Jordan era (And I believe that series ranked number 2 or 3 on ESPN's Best playoff series of all-time list). I can't think of any other playoff series (post Jordan) off the top of my head in which the two superstar players on opposing teams both played essentially perfect basketball over 6 or 7 games.

100%duncan
06-11-2013, 12:13 AM
:lol where's the run last year? they didnt face any legit team :lol

:lol where the fuck is Dirk's 2011 :lmao

Splits
06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Edit: found 6-50

6. Shaquille O'Neal, Lakers, 2001

Position: C | Age: 298

Result: Won NBA Finals | Finals MVP

GP PPG RPG APG BPG SPG TS% USG
16 30.4 15.4 3.2 2.4 0.4 56.4 32.0

The Lakers defended their championship with a 15-1 playoff run, one John Hollinger ranked the greatest in post-merger history, and O'Neal put up nearly a carbon copy of his 2000 performance, averaging identical rebound totals, 0.3 points per game fewer and 0.1 assists per game more. Why does 2000 get the nod? The big difference is in turnovers -- O'Neal averaged 2.4 in 2000 and 3.6 in 2001, enough to bump this one down two spots lower.

There were plenty of impressive performances along the way. O'Neal dropped consecutive 40-20 games on Vlade Divac and the Sacramento Kings (44-21 in Game 1, 43-20 in Game 2). He bounced back from his worst performance of the playoffs (19 points on 8-of-21 shooting in a Game 2 win at San Antonio) with 35 points on 16-of-23 shooting from the field in a 39-point Game 3 evisceration en route to the sweep. The Lakers' lone loss, Game 1 of the NBA Finals against the Philadelphia 76ers, came despite O'Neal's 44 points and 20 rebounds. But his best all-around performance of the series might have come in Game 2, as the Lakers rebounded with the first of four consecutive wins: 28 points, 20 rebounds, nine assists and eight blocks.

7. Hakeem Olajuwon, Rockets, 1994

Position: C | Age: 31

23 28.9 11.0 4.3 4.0 1.7 56.8 31.4

The year before he was reunited with college teammate Clyde Drexler, Olajuwon dragged a Rockets team without a second star to the first of back-to-back championships. Olajuwon averaged more than twice as many points in the playoffs as Houston's second-leading scorer (Vernon Maxwell, 13.8 points per game), the highest such ratio ever for a championship team. But the Rockets' fleet of outside shooters ideally suited Olajuwon's game, and he dominated the defensive end, becoming the only player to average 4.0 blocks per game in a Finals run.

Houston needed Olajuwon to be great every night, and he scored at least 20 points in 22 of 23 playoff games, including a pair of 40-point efforts. In the NBA Finals, Olajuwon outdueled Patrick Ewing of the New York Knicks, averaging 26.1 points while holding Ewing to 18.9 PPG on 36.3 percent shooting in the Rockets' seven-game triumph.

8. Moses Malone, 76ers, 1983

Position: C | Age: 28

13 26.0 15.8 1.5 1.9 1.5 58.7 26.0

While the 76ers couldn't quite live up to Malone's famous "fo', fo', fo'" declaration -- they actually went fo', fi', fo', losing Game 4 at Milwaukee in the Eastern Conference finals -- they came as close to playoff perfect as any team before or since. Malone carried the team there in far and away his best postseason run. His 15.8 rebounds per game was the highest of any player to reach the Finals post-merger, and Malone's 53.6 percent shooting tied his best in a playoff run.

Aside from a 38-point outing in as many minutes during the first game of the postseason against New York, Malone was more about consistency than big performances. He recorded a double-double in all 13 games Philadelphia played and wrapped up an NBA Finals sweep of the Lakers with his only 20-20 effort (24 points, 23 rebounds). In the Finals, Malone outscored Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 103-94 and outrebounded him 72-30 in virtually identical minute totals.

9. Larry Bird, Celtics, 1984

Position: SF | Age: 27

23 27.5 11.0 5.9 1.2 2.3 60.7 25.9

A playoff run that culminated with the Celtics beating the Lakers in seven games in the first of their three meetings goes down as the best of Larry Legend's career -- barely. Bird's 27.5 points per game marked his highest postseason scoring average, and he managed that figure while shooting a career-high 52.4 percent from the field. He scored at least 20 points in 22 of 23 games.

Bird's best outing came in Game 5 of the conference semifinals, as Boston closed out New York behind his 39 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists. Bird outscored Bernard King in the series, 30.4 PPG to 29.1. Going against Lakers stopper Michael Cooper in the Finals, Bird alternated tough shooting nights with great ones. In a crucial Game 4 win at L.A., he scored 29 points, grabbed 21 rebounds and put the Celtics ahead for good with a jumper in overtime.

10. Larry Bird, Celtics, 1986

Position: SF | Age: 29

18 25.9 9.3 8.2 0.6 2.1 61.5 23.3

Picking between Bird's 1984 and 1986 playoff runs is like choosing between Biggie or 2Pac: Either way, you're arguing for greatness. By 1986, Bird's evolution into a perimeter-oriented small forward was complete. He became the first NBA player to make 50 percent from the field, 40 percent on 3-point shots and 90 percent of free throws taken in a playoff run with at least 50 3-point attempts (Ray Allen in 2011 is the other one to date, and Bird is the only player do to so over 10 games or more). Bird also averaged 8.2 assists, the best mark of his playoff career at the time, taking advantage of the deepest roster the Celtics put together in the 1980s.

If anything, Bird wasn't tested enough as Boston was forced to a Game 6 just once. He peaked at 36 points in both Game 2 and Game 5 against the Atlanta Hawks in the conference semifinals. During the NBA Finals, facing the Houston Rockets, Bird topped the 30-point mark just once but recorded two of his three playoff triple-doubles, including 29 points, 12 assists and 11 rebounds as Boston closed out the series in Game 6.

11. Tim Duncan, Spurs, 1999

Position: PF | Age: 23

17 23.2 11.5 2.8 2.6 0.8 57.3 26.8

No asterisk here. Duncan's first championship run saw him average 43.1 minutes per game, his highest playoff average, for a team that rolled through the post-lockout playoffs 15-2. In the NBA Finals, Duncan played 229 of a possible 240 minutes as the Spurs defeated the New York Knicks 4-1, averaging 27.4 points and 14.0 rebounds. The hidden key to Duncan's playoff success? He made 74.8 percent of his free throw attempts, including 35 of 44 (79.5 percent) in the Finals.

12. Shaquille O'Neal, Lakers, 2002

Position: C | Age: 30

19 28.5 12.6 2.8 2.5 0.5 56.9 31.4

With Kobe Bryant emerging as a co-star, O'Neal carried a slightly lighter load in terms of scoring and rebounding in the Lakers' third consecutive title. But he was still capable of taking over, including a 41-point, 17-board effort in the infamous Game 6 win over Sacramento in the Western Conference finals. O'Neal obliterated rookie Jason Collins and Todd MacCulloch in the NBA Finals, averaging 36.1 points, 12.0 rebounds and 17.0 free throw attempts (shooting a timely 66.2 percent at the line) in a four-game sweep of the New Jersey Nets.

13. Dwyane Wade, Heat, 2006

Position: SG | Age: 24

23 28.4 5.9 5.7 1.1 2.2 59.3 31.7

John Hollinger ranked Wade's Finals performance against the Dallas Mavericks (34.7 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 97 free throw attempts in six games) the greatest in post-merger history. A young, explosive Wade lived at the foul line all postseason; his 250 attempts rank fourth over the past 35 years, and only then-teammate Shaquille O'Neal has taken more in that span, having done it three times. Wade's playmaking -- he recorded four point-assist double-doubles -- also helped get Miami to the NBA Finals.

14. Michael Jordan, Bulls, 1992

Position: SG | Age: 29

22 34.5 6.2 5.8 0.7 2.0 57.1 37.1

The longest of Jordan's championship runs at 22 games saw his second-highest scoring average in a title year. It came at a price: Jordan was much more prone to turnovers, which bumped him out of the top 10. Jordan had big moments throughout the postseason. He dropped 56 on an overmatched Miami squad to complete a sweep and came through with 42 points in a blowout after the Knicks forced a Game 7.

The defining memory remains Game 1 of the NBA Finals versus Portland, when Jordan hit six 3-pointers in the first half against rival Clyde Drexler and shrugged at Magic Johnson (broadcasting the game for NBC) to indicate his own disbelief. Jordan finished the game with 39 points and averaged 35.8 in the Finals.

15. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Lakers, 1980

Position: C | Age: 33

Result: Won NBA Finals

15 31.9 12.1 3.1 3.9 1.1 61.1 28.5

If not for an ill-timed sprained ankle, Abdul-Jabbar might have placed in the top 10. Abdul-Jabbar rolled his ankle in the third quarter of Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the 76ers. Though he came back to score 14 points in the fourth quarter of the win, swelling prevented Abdul-Jabbar from traveling back to Philadelphia for Game 6. Magic Johnson moved to center in his place, led the Lakers to an improbable win and claimed Finals MVP honors despite Abdul-Jabbar averaging 33.4 points, 13.6 rebounds and 4.6 blocks in the five games he was able to play.

16. Magic Johnson, Lakers, 1987

Position: PG | Age: 27

18 21.8 7.7 12.2 0.4 1.7 60.7 23.1

Fittingly, Johnson's best postseason run puts him right behind Abdul-Jabbar. In 1986-87, Johnson replaced the aging captain as the Lakers' go-to guy. That was on full display in the NBA Finals against the rival Celtics, as Johnson averaged 26.2 points, 13.0 assists and 8.2 rebounds to beat Boston in six games and earn MVP honors. Johnson's "junior, junior sky hook" won Game 4 of the series at the Garden, and he had three playoff triple-doubles, though surprisingly none in the Finals.

17. Kobe Bryant, Lakers, 2009

Position: SG | Age: 30

23 30.2 5.3 5.5 0.9 1.7 56.4 32.9

Bryant earned his first championship as a go-to guy with his best postseason run. After a tough series with Houston's Shane Battier, who held him to 14 points in Game 7, Bryant was nearly unstoppable the rest of the way to the title. He averaged 34.0 points, including a pair of 40-plus efforts, against Denver in the Western Conference finals. Bryant started the NBA Finals versus Orlando with a 40-point effort and handed out eight assists in four of the five games.

18. Michael Jordan, Bulls, 1997

Position: SG | Age: 34

19 31.1 7.9 4.8 0.9 1.6 52.4 35.5

The highest-rated title run from Jordan's second three-peat is remembered best for the "Flu Game." (Or was it, as Jordan's trainer Tim Grover recently suggested on TrueHoop TV, the "Food Poisoning Game"?) Either way, Jordan was ill to the point of nausea when he dropped 38 points at Utah, and the Bulls needed every one of them in a two-point Game 5 win that gave them the series lead. Chicago would finish the Jazz in Game 6, with Jordan setting up Steve Kerr's championship-securing jumper. If that wasn't enough, Jordan also made the winning shot at the buzzer in Game 1.

19. Larry Bird, Celtics, 1981

Position: SF | Age: 24

17 21.9 14.0 6.1 1.0 2.3 53.2 23.2

Bird's 1981 run is the second of the top 20 that did not result in a Finals MVP. The Rockets held Bird to 15.3 points and 41.9 percent shooting in the Finals, while Cedric Maxwell averaged 17.7 points and 9.5 rebounds on 56.8 percent shooting from the field to win MVP honors.

Bird did contribute 15.3 rebounds per game in the Finals, capping his best playoff run on the glass. And he got the better of Julius Erving in the Eastern Conference finals, averaging 26.7 points as the Celtics knocked off the defending East champs.

20. Michael Jordan, Bulls, 1996

Position: SG | Age: 33

18 30.7 4.9 4.1 0.3 1.8 56.4 32.9

Jordan's first full season back from retirement ended with a 72-win Chicago team claiming the championship on Father's Day, less than three years after Jordan's father, James, was murdered. John Hollinger rated this as Jordan's worst Finals; he averaged 23.7 points on 36.7 percent shooting after Gary Payton switched onto him for Game 4, and the Sonics were able to extend the series to six games.

Jordan was better earlier in the playoffs, dropping a pair of 40-plus efforts on the Knicks and scoring 45 in Game 4 against Orlando as the Bulls avenged their 1995 loss with an Eastern Conference finals sweep.

21. Tim Duncan, Spurs, 2007

Position: PF | Age: 31

20 22.2 11.5 3.3 3.1 0.7 55.6 29.5

Tony Parker claimed Finals MVP honors by leading all scorers with 24.5 points on 56.8 percent shooting in a defense-first sweep of Cleveland. But Duncan, who shot just 44.6 percent while averaging 18.3 points and 11.5 rebounds in the Finals, came through in San Antonio's most difficult series -- a 4-2 win over the rival Phoenix Suns in the conference semifinals. Duncan torched the Suns for 26.8 points, 13.7 rebounds and 4.2 blocks per game.

22. LeBron James, Cavaliers, 2009

Position: SF | Age: 24

Result: Lost in East finals

14 35.3 9.1 7.3 0.9 1.6 61.8 36.4

Unlike everyone ahead of him on the list, James didn't win a championship. In fact, the Cavaliers didn't even reach the NBA Finals, losing to the Orlando Magic in six games in the Eastern Conference finals. But James was more valuable in three series than any Finals loser was in four. On a per-minute basis, James' .879 individual win percentage (the estimate of how often James and four average players would win) blows away any playoff performance since the merger. He used 36.4 percent of Cleveland's plays with a true shooting percentage north of 60 percent, rebounded like a big man and passed like a point guard.

In the East finals, James averaged 38.5 points, 8.3 rebounds and 8.0 assists, making a buzzer-beating 3 for one of the Cavaliers' two wins. Alas, Cleveland's supporting cast wasn't up to the task. No reserve averaged more than 3.6 points per game in the series.

23. Magic Johnson, Lakers, 1980

Position: PG | Age: 20

16 18.3 10.5 9.4 0.4 3.1 59.6 18.6

The precocious Johnson put together the finest postseason by a rookie since the merger to become the only first-year player to win Finals MVP honors. As a 20-year-old, Johnson nearly averaged a triple-double and better than three steals per game. And, of course, he saved his best performance for the clinching Game 6 of the NBA Finals at Philadelphia. After moving to center in place of the injured Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Johnson scored 42 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and handed out seven assists in the win.

24. Magic Johnson, Lakers, 1982

Position: PG | Age: 22

14 17.4 11.3 9.3 0.2 2.9 61.4 16.9

After an embarrassing 1981 playoffs -- the Rockets upset the Lakers in the best-of-three first round, with Johnson airballing a shot in the closing seconds of Game 3 -- a healthy Johnson put together a near-carbon copy of his 1980 run to lead the Lakers to a second title. This time, Johnson finished off the Sixers with a triple-double in Game 6, clinching his second Finals MVP award.

25. Michael Jordan, Bulls, 1998

Position: SG | Age: 35

21 32.4 5.1 3.5 0.6 1.5 54.5 36.6

With Scottie Pippen injured for most of the regular season, the 35-year-old Jordan was worn down by the end of Chicago's second three-peat. Increasingly prone to off shooting nights, Jordan compensated with his ability to get to the free throw line. He had enough left for one last signature performance: 45 points in Game 6 at Utah, including a steal and the game-winning jumper over Byron Russell in the closing seconds to secure a sixth title.

26. Isiah Thomas, Pistons, 1990

Position: PG | Age: 29

20 20.5 5.5 8.2 0.4 2.2 56.0 25.4

Thomas was at his best in the playoffs during the second of the Pistons' back-to-back championship runs in large part because of a well-timed hot streak beyond the arc. A 29 percent career 3-point shooter, Thomas went 11-of-16 (68.8 percent) from downtown as Detroit took care of Portland in five games. Thomas averaged 27.6 points and 7.0 assists in the series.

27. Hakeem Olajuwon, Rockets, 1986

Position: C | Age: 23

Result: Lost NBA Finals

20 26.9 11.8 2.0 3.5 2.0 56.6 27.3

Olajuwon's 1986 run ranks as the best ever by a Finals loser. On a per-minute basis, Olajuwon was even more effective than when he led the 1994 Rockets to the championship. He averaged nearly 10 free throw attempts per game and was huge in a Western Conference finals upset of the Lakers, averaging 31.0 points and 11.2 rebounds. (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar averaged 27.0 ppg and 6.8 rpg.)

28. Scottie Pippen, Bulls, 1996

Position: SF | Age: 30

18 16.9 8.5 5.9 0.9 2.6 47.3 22.2

Pippen's 1996 playoff run rates as the most valuable by a second banana, just ahead of Magic Johnson's 1980 postseason (Johnson appears higher in the rankings because he won Finals MVP). While he struggled with his shot (34.3 percent in the Finals), Pippen was at his best defensively, averaging 2.6 steals and 0.9 blocks per game. And he put together one of his best all-around performances with 22 points, 18 boards and 10 assists in Game 3 against Miami in the opening round.

29. Tim Duncan, Spurs, 2005

Position: PF | Age: 29

23 23.6 12.4 2.7 2.3 0.3 52.6 31.1

Like the title run itself, Duncan's 2005 playoffs were the most workmanlike of his four championship seasons. He shot just 46.7 percent from the field in the postseason, including 41.9 percent in a rugged seven-game NBA Finals against Detroit. Yet Duncan was his usual consistent presence, contributing 18 double-doubles in 23 games and anchoring the defense, which earned him Finals MVP honors.

30. Hakeem Olajuwon, Rockets, 1995

Position: C | Age: 32

22 33.0 10.3 4.5 2.8 1.2 56.0 35.9

Olajuwon actually scored more in the Rockets' repeat despite the arrival of Clyde Drexler. The center topped 40 points five times, including three alone in his Western Conference finals destruction of MVP David Robinson. (Olajuwon: 35.3 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 5.0 apg, 4.2 bpg; Robinson: 23.8 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.2 bpg.) So why does 1995 rate so much lower? Olajuwon wasn't the same defensive presence, blocking shots about 20 percent less frequently than in 1994.

31. Kobe Bryant, Lakers, 2001

Position: SG | Age: 22

16 29.4 7.3 6.1 0.8 1.6 55.5 30.3

Far and away Bryant's best effort as a sidekick came during the Lakers' 15-1 playoff run. He was supremely versatile, recording five point-rebound double-doubles and one of the point-assist variety. Bryant's best scoring output came in consecutive games as the Lakers swept away Sacramento and started a sweep of San Antonio. He put up 93 points on just 76 shooting possessions (field goal attempts and trips to the free throw line) in the two wins.

32. Scottie Pippen, Bulls, 1991

Position: SF | Age: 25

17 21.6 8.9 5.8 1.1 2.5 56.4 25.2

The Bulls' first championship was also Pippen's highest scoring as a No. 2 option (he averaged 22.8 ppg in 1994 when Michael Jordan was in retirement). Pippen made a solid 52.1 percent of his 2-point shots while supplying his usual all-around brilliance. He recorded seven point-rebound double-doubles and two more of the point-assist variety. Pippen capped the title run with 32 points, 13 rebounds, seven assists and five steals in Game 5 of the Finals as Chicago closed out the Lakers.

Splits
06-11-2013, 12:24 AM
33. Charles Barkley, Suns, 1993

Position: PF | Age: 30

24 26.6 13.6 4.3 1.0 1.6 55.2 27.3

After Game 5 of the NBA Finals, Barkley told Ahmad Rashad that God wanted the Suns to beat the Chicago Bulls. Alas, neither divine intervention nor one of the best playoff efforts by a Finals loser could prevent the Bulls from completing their first three-peat. Earlier in the playoffs, Barkley hit a buzzer-beater to complete a 4-2 series win over San Antonio and came through with 44 points and 24 points in the deciding Game 7 of the Western Conference finals against Seattle, one of three 40-plus efforts from Barkley during the postseason.

34. Kobe Bryant, Lakers, 2010

Position: SG | Age: 31

23 29.2 6.0 5.5 0.7 1.3 56.7 33.2

In a rare NBA Finals Game 7 -- one of just two since 1994 -- Bryant suffered through a 6-of-24 shooting night but still helped the Lakers beat the rival Celtics by grabbing 15 rebounds and getting to the free throw line 15 times. Bryant also earned Finals MVP honors despite shooting just 40.5 percent from the field. His best series was the Western Conference finals against Phoenix, in which he averaged 33.7 points, 8.3 assists and 7.2 rebounds.

35. Kevin Durant, Thunder, 2012

Position: SF | Age: 23

20 28.5 7.4 3.7 1.2 1.5 63.2 28.8

Durant opened the playoffs with a game-winning jumper that kicked off a four-game sweep of the Dallas Mavericks and rode the momentum all the way to the NBA Finals. Despite facing the opposition's best defender and double-teams, Durant made 57.5 percent of his 2-pointers and 37.3 percent beyond the arc. He scored at least 20 points in every Oklahoma City game and averaged 30.6 ppg during the NBA Finals, which wasn't enough to avoid a five-game loss to the Heat.

36. Michael Jordan, Bulls, 1990

Position: SG | Age: 27

Result: Lost in East finals

16 36.7 7.2 6.8 0.9 2.8 59.2 36.1

Before the maturation of teammates Horace Grant and Scottie Pippen, Jordan's heroics alone weren't enough to get the Bulls past the Bad Boy Detroit Pistons -- but they were close. Responsible for creating more than 36 percent of Chicago's plays, Jordan still shot better than 50 percent from the field in a run nearly the per-minute equal of the 1991 postseason that tops this list. He scored 40-plus points six times in 16 games, yet Detroit was able to hold him to 26.8 ppg in four losses in a seven-game Eastern Conference finals.

37. Dwight Howard, Magic, 2009

Position: C | Age: 23

23 20.3 15.3 1.9 2.6 0.9 63.4 23.3

Tucking his cape beneath his Magic jersey, Howard became Superman to lead Orlando to an unexpected spot in the NBA Finals. Howard grabbed better than one in four rebounds in the postseason, the best postmerger mark by any regular not named Dennis Rodman. Howard finished an Eastern Conference finals upset of LeBron James and the Cavaliers with 40 points and 14 boards, shooting 14-of-21 from the field and 12-of-16 from the free throw line.

38. David Robinson, Spurs, 1999

Position: C | Age: 33

17 15.6 9.9 2.5 2.4 1.6 56.3 22.7

After nearly a decade of playoff frustration, Robinson won his first championship by making room for a young Tim Duncan to emerge as the Spurs' go-to player. But a 33-year-old Robinson still had plenty left to contribute to the effort, averaging nearly a double-double and 2.4 blocks per game. Against the Knicks in the NBA Finals, Robinson averaged 16.6 points and 11.8 rebounds and recorded four double-doubles in five games.

39. LeBron James, Cavs, 2007

Position: SF | Age: 22

20 25.1 8.1 8.0 0.5 1.7 51.6 29.7

The 2007 Eastern Conference finals served notice that James, at 22, had made the leap to superstardom. After the veteran Pistons took a 2-0 lead at home, James led the Cavaliers to four consecutive wins. His "48 special" in Game 5 at Detroit saw James score 29 of the team's last 30 points, most of which came in the paint, and he followed it up with 20 points, 14 rebounds and eight assists as Cleveland clinched its first trip to the NBA Finals. Even a four-game sweep at the hands of the Spurs could not diminish James' postseason.

40. Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks, 2006

Position: PF | Age: 27

23 27.0 11.7 2.9 0.6 1.1 59.6 26.9

With a run to the 2006 NBA Finals, Nowitzki kicked off a 12-month stretch in which he was the world's best player. He dragged the Mavericks past the defending champion Spurs by scoring 37 points and grabbing 15 rebounds in a Game 7 at San Antonio, including the three-point play that forced overtime. After shooting 3-of-13 as Phoenix tied the Western Conference finals at two, Nowitzki dropped 50 points in Game 5 en route to a 4-2 series win. But Miami finally found an answer for Nowitzki in the NBA Finals, holding him to 39.2 percent shooting in a six-game triumph over his Mavs.

41. Pau Gasol, Lakers, 2010

Position: PF | Age: 29

23 19.6 11.1 3.5 2.1 0.4 59.9 21.0

Few NBA Finals have sparked as much debate about MVP as 2010. When Bryant was shooting 6-of-24 in Game 7, Gasol had 19 points and 18 boards in the clincher. (In fairness, he shot 6-of-16 himself.) Bryant got the award, but Wins Above Replacement Player (WARP) favors Gasol, who averaged 18.6 points, 11.6 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.6 blocks per game against the Celtics. Gasol also had the better WARP total throughout the postseason -- the best of his career -- but Bryant edges him on these rankings because of the Finals MVP bonus.

42. Shaquille O'Neal, Lakers, 2004

Position:C | Age: 32

22 21.5 13.2 2.5 2.8 0.3 56.5 25.2

As part of a lineup with four Hall of Famers, O'Neal got fewer touches for the 2004 Lakers team that lost to Detroit in the NBA Finals. His scoring average was his lowest in eight playoff runs with the Lakers. Otherwise, O'Neal was his usual dominant force, shooting nearly 60 percent from the field. Going against reigning defensive player of the year Ben Wallace, O'Neal was still effective in the Finals, averaging 26.6 points on 63.1 percent shooting.

43. Elvin Hayes, Bullets, 1978

Position: PF-C | Age: 32

21 21.8 13.3 2.0 2.5 1.5 51.5 22.5

The only '70s representative on the list, the Big E couldn't entirely silence his critics while leading the Bullets to their lone championship. While Hayes was the team's leading scorer (20.7) and rebounder (11.9) in the Finals, he struggled as the series went on and scored just 12 points in the clinching Game 7 at Seattle. Teammate Wes Unseld won Finals MVP honors, but Hayes can point to his contributions throughout the postseason.

44. LeBron James, Heat, 2011

Position: SF | Age: 26

21 23.7 8.4 5.9 1.2 1.7 56.3 26.9

The worst per-minute postseason for James since his 2007 breakthrough still cracks the top 50. (2008 and 2010 are missing because the Cavaliers were knocked out too early in the postseason.) Of course, an off playoffs for James still saw him top the 30-point mark five times and deliver clutch shots in both a semifinal win over Boston and an Eastern Conference finals upset of Chicago. However, James ran out of gas in an inexplicably poor NBA Finals, averaging just 17.8 points in a 4-2 Dallas victory.

45. Scottie Pippen, Bulls, 1992

Position: SF | Age: 26

22 19.5 8.8 6.7 1.1 1.9 54.4 23.6

Pippen embraced the role of point forward during the 1991-92 season and 1992 playoffs, leading the Bulls in assists. In his most-versatile Finals performance, Pippen averaged 20.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 7.7 assists as the Bulls beat Portland 4-2. Over the postseason, Pippen had seven point-rebound double-doubles, three point-assist double-doubles and one of his four career playoff triple-doubles.

46. Michael Jordan, Bulls, 1989

Position: SG | Age: 26

Result: Lost East finals

17 34.8 7.0 7.6 0.8 2.5 60.2 35.4

Jordan's earliest playoff appearance on the list came when he took the Bulls to the Eastern Conference finals for the first time. First, Jordan finished the Cavaliers with "The Shot" in Game 5 at Cleveland, capping a run of 138 points in three games. Chicago then upset New York behind three 40-plus scoring outings in six games, but the eventual champion Pistons limited Jordan to just 29.7 ppg in a six-game Eastern Conference finals victory in which just two other Bulls averaged double figures.

47. Magic Johnson, Lakers, 1988

Position: PG | Age: 28

24 19.9 5.4 12.6 0.2 1.4 60.0 22.1

In turnabout for the 1980 Finals, Johnson lost MVP honors to teammate James Worthy, who had the only triple-double of his career (36 points, 16 rebounds and 10 assists) in a Game 7 win over Detroit. But Johnson, who averaged 21.1 points, 13.0 assists and 5.7 rebounds in the series, was far more valuable over the course of the playoffs, handing out double-digit assists 19 times in 24 games.

48. Manu Ginobili, Spurs, 2005

Position: SG | Age: 27

23 20.8 5.8 4.2 0.3 1.2 65.2 26.3

Ginobili emerged as the Spurs' second-leading scorer and a worthy perimeter complement to Tim Duncan in his third NBA campaign. Ginobili served notice of his scoring prowess with a 39-point outburst against Seattle in the conference finals, then set up Duncan for the series-clinching basket in Game 6. In the Finals, Ginobili averaged 22.8 points in San Antonio's four wins of the seven-game series with Detroit.

49. Dwyane Wade, Heat, 2011

Position: SG | Age: 29

21 24.5 7.1 4.4 1.3 1.6 57.0 30.4

Wade was the team's leading scorer during the first postseason run for the Heat's Big Three. With LeBron James struggling in the NBA Finals, Wade took over, averaging 26.5 points on 54.6 percent shooting in the 4-2 series loss to Dallas. He was also at his best in a five-game semifinal win against the Boston Celtics, averaging 30.2 points on 52.6 percent shooting and making key late buckets.

50. Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks, 2011

Position: PF | Age: 32

21 27.7 8.1 2.5 0.6 0.6 60.9 32.0

With time running out to win a championship in his prime, Nowitzki reached the pinnacle in his 13th season. At 32, Nowitzki remained as integral as ever to the Mavericks offense, using nearly a third of the team's plays while maintaining strong efficiency with 46.0 percent shooting from 3-point range and near-perfect accuracy at the foul line (175 of 186, 94.1 percent). Nowitzki averaged 32.2 points on 55.7 percent shooting in a Western Conference finals win over the Oklahoma City Thunder, then put up four 20-10 performances in the six-game Finals win over Miami to earn MVP honors.

Splits
06-11-2013, 12:25 AM
:lol where the fuck is Dirk's 2011 :lmao

50. Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks, 2011

Position: PF | Age: 32

21 27.7 8.1 2.5 0.6 0.6 60.9 32.0

With time running out to win a championship in his prime, Nowitzki reached the pinnacle in his 13th season. At 32, Nowitzki remained as integral as ever to the Mavericks offense, using nearly a third of the team's plays while maintaining strong efficiency with 46.0 percent shooting from 3-point range and near-perfect accuracy at the foul line (175 of 186, 94.1 percent). Nowitzki averaged 32.2 points on 55.7 percent shooting in a Western Conference finals win over the Oklahoma City Thunder, then put up four 20-10 performances in the six-game Finals win over Miami to earn MVP honors.

Splits
06-11-2013, 12:29 AM

13. Dwyane Wade, Heat, 2006

Anyone know where Kirby's '08 run ranks?

'08?

17. Kobe Bryant, Lakers, 2009
34. Kobe Bryant, Lakers, 2010

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2013, 12:37 AM
IMO:

1- Jordan 1991
2- Shaq 2000
3- Lebron 2012
4- Duncan 2003
5- Jordan 1993
6- Shaq 2001
7- Bird 1984
8- Lebron 2009
9- Malone 1983
10- Olajuwon 1994
11- Wade 2006
12- Magic 1987
13- Bird 1986
14- Kareem 1980
15- Duncan 1999
16- Jordan 1998
17- Jordan 1996
18- Duncan 2007
19- Jordan 1997
20- Shaq 2002

2006 Dirk is top 25 and > 2011 Dirk IMO..

2001 Kobe would be in my top 25, as well..

2012 Durant and 1993 Barkley are underrated..

irishock
06-11-2013, 12:48 AM
IMO:

2006 Dirk is top 25 and > 2011 Dirk IMO..

How? He posted nearly identical stats in both years, except in '11 he triumphed in the toughest road to a championship perhaps ever, while in 2006 his biggest accomplishment was outdueling Tim Duncan in game 7.

The Reckoning
06-11-2013, 12:57 AM
dirk '11 and wade '06 should top imo

Jacob1983
06-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Wade shouldn't be in the top 20. Take him out and put Dirk in there. Shooting a lot of free throws in the Finals isn't legendary or impressive.

Sean Cagney
06-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Yeah, I might have to agree. Especially since Duncan seemed to return to his '03 form (at least on the offensive end), despite the plantar fasciitis.

Dirk vs. Duncan in that series:

Duncan: 32.2ppg, 11.7rpg, 3.7apg, 2.5blk, 1.0spg, .556FG

Dirk: 27.1ppg, 13.3rpg, 2.7apg, 0.4blk, 1.3spg, .527FG

Best player duel in the post-Jordan era (And I believe that series ranked number 2 or 3 on ESPN's Best playoff series of all-time list). I can't think of any other playoff series (post Jordan) off the top of my head in which the two superstar players on opposing teams both played essentially perfect basketball over 6 or 7 games.
LIGHTS OUT! LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS THERE! Thats Tims best series ever on the offensive end IMO, he even said that was the best series he played after it. What a battle that was there, classic series down to OT in game 7. I don't know if I could take another one.
dirk '11 and wade '06 should top imo

Should top JORDAN and everyone on there? You said top? Or Dirk 011 should top Wade? You think those two are the best performances ever for a run? I don't think they are.
How? He posted nearly identical stats in both years, except in '11 he triumphed in the toughest road to a championship perhaps ever, while in 2006 his biggest accomplishment was outdueling Tim Duncan in game 7.

His numbers were not even better than Tims in game 7 though! I agree though they did not win it all so that is not on the list.

D-Wade
06-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Dirk '11 and Flash '06 should be higher.

Glad they didn't forget about Wade in 2011 (should've been his 2nd fMVP that this time couldn't be discredited by FTs) and admitted that LBJ was a no-show. They made sure to put it near the bottom of the list but whatever.

AchillesHeel
06-11-2013, 02:13 AM
:lmao Achilles nowhere to be found

Sportstudi
06-11-2013, 02:38 AM
50. Nowitzki - 2011
49. Wade - 2011
44. LeBron - 2011

That's some real horseshit :lmao

hitmanyr2k
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
So Olajuwon's dominating run in 1995 is at #30?!? :lol Yeah this list is balls or the guy is just trolling.

Brazil
06-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Smoking a banana leaf.

In terms of stats, dirk 06 and dirk 11 are pretty even except for rebounds. I hear you on the 2006 Spurs but overall I believe competition was tougher in 2011 POs, Miami was already a great team, they kicked a lot of asses (see Lakers). They produced a 16-5 POs against Blazers, Lakers, OKC and Heat ! Also I don't remember a lot of players dominating the clutch periods of the game like dirk in 2011, he was just a machine. It was a truly dominant run all over the POs. At the end I consider his run in 2011 better than 2006 and he should be higher than top 20-25.

Jodelo
06-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Dirk had a very tough road and played nearly perfect basketball, so he is at #50.

:lolSure

Top 10 for sure, even more!

Rogue
06-11-2013, 09:41 AM
the best job Wade did in 06 was being a good recipient of those bullshit calls and easy freethrows tbh

StrengthAndHonor
06-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Its a shitty list. They writer used WARP metrics. For all the flak Hollinger gets, at least his PER is much more consistent.

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
:lol it makes sense now that it's such a shitty list, since it uses WARP, tbh..

StrengthAndHonor
06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
I mean seriously, how can you put Lebron's 2009 at # 22. LeBron while give Kobe's 2009 #17? I understand, Kobe won the title but that 2009 run by Lebron was beastly tbqh. Also, I still believe Wade's 2006 run should be higher. Yeah he had a free throw fest against the Mavs but IMHO, his series against Detroit (best defense in the league at that time, IINM) was equally impressive 26.6 PPG, 62% FG.

In the Finals, Wade's 42pt game 3, 36pt game 4, 43pt game 5, and 36pt game 6 turned the series around, he basically singlehandedly took the series over after the Heat went down 2-0 against the Mavs. In games 3-6 alone, Wade averaged 39.25ppg on 51%fg. Jordanesque.

jimbo
06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Dirk '11 and Flash '06 should be higher.

Glad they didn't forget about Wade in 2011 (should've been his 2nd fMVP that this time couldn't be discredited by FTs) and admitted that LBJ was a no-show. They made sure to put it near the bottom of the list but whatever.

I wasn't impressed with Wade that postseason. Dude disappeared on the offensive end vs Chicago. Played average vs Celtics and Mavs. Lebron's run was still better that year overall, he made so many daggers before choking in the finals.

2009 Lebron's stats vs the Magic were just ridiculous, has there ever been anything better than that? I can't think of anything. That has to be a top 10 individual series, even though he didn't make the finals imo.

If you are putting more emphasis on the finals, 2006 Wade needs to be higher.

Thebesteva
06-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Not sure if anyone posted the list or not but here ya go:

50. Nowitzki - 2011
49. Wade - 2011
48. Ginobili - 2005
47. Magic - 1988
46. Jordan - 1989
45. Pippen - 1992
44. LeBron - 2011
43. Hayes - 1978
42. Shaq - 2004
41. Gasol - 2010
40. Nowitzki - 2006
39. LeBron - 2007
38. Robinson - 1999
37. Howard - 2009
36. Jordan - 1990
35. Durant - 2012
34. Kobe - 2010
33. Barkley - 1993
32. Pippen - 1991
31. Kobe - 2001
30. Olajuwon - 1995
29. Duncan - 2005
28. Pippen - 1996
27. Olajuwon - 1986
26. Thomas - 1990
25. Jordan - 1998
24. Magic - 1982
23. Magic - 1980
22. LeBron - 2009
21. Duncan - 2007
20. Jordan - 1996
19. Bird - 1981
18. Jordan - 1997
17. Kobe - 2009
16. Magic - 1987
15. Kareem - 1980
14. Jordan - 1992
13. Wade - 2006
12. Shaq - 2002
11. Duncan - 1999
10. Bird - 1986
9. Bird - 1984
8. Malone - 1983
7. Olajuwon - 1994
6. Shaq - 2001
5. Jordan - 1993
4. Shaq - 2000
3. Duncan - 2003
2. LeBron - 2012
1. Jordan - 1991

Sportstudi
06-12-2013, 05:40 AM

50. Nowitzki - 2011
49. Wade - 2011
48. Ginobili - 2005
47. Magic - 1988
46. Jordan - 1989
45. Pippen - 1992
44. LeBron - 2011
43. Hayes - 1978
42. Shaq - 2004
41. Gasol - 2010
40. Nowitzki - 2006
39. LeBron - 2007
38. Robinson - 1999
37. Howard - 2009
36. Jordan - 1990
35. Durant - 2012
34. Kobe - 2010
33. Barkley - 1993
32. Pippen - 1991
31. Kobe - 2001
30. Olajuwon - 1995
29. Duncan - 2005
28. Pippen - 1996
27. Olajuwon - 1986
26. Thomas - 1990
25. Jordan - 1998
24. Magic - 1982
23. Magic - 1980
22. LeBron - 2009
21. Duncan - 2007
20. Jordan - 1996
19. Bird - 1981
18. Jordan - 1997
17. Kobe - 2009
16. Magic - 1987
15. Kareem - 1980
14. Jordan - 1992
13. Wade - 2006
12. Shaq - 2002
11. Duncan - 1999
10. Bird - 1986
9. Bird - 1984
8. Malone - 1983
7. Olajuwon - 1994
6. Shaq - 2001
5. Jordan - 1993
4. Shaq - 2000
3. Duncan - 2003
2. LeBron - 2012
1. Jordan - 1991

That's an absolute joke :lmao BSPN again sucking LeBron's and Wade's dick.

StrengthAndHonor
06-12-2013, 08:17 AM

50. Nowitzki - 2011
49. Wade - 2011
48. Ginobili - 2005
47. Magic - 1988
46. Jordan - 1989
45. Pippen - 1992
44. LeBron - 2011
43. Hayes - 1978
42. Shaq - 2004
41. Gasol - 2010
40. Nowitzki - 2006
39. LeBron - 2007
38. Robinson - 1999
37. Howard - 2009
36. Jordan - 1990
35. Durant - 2012
34. Kobe - 2010
33. Barkley - 1993
32. Pippen - 1991
31. Kobe - 2001
30. Olajuwon - 1995
29. Duncan - 2005
28. Pippen - 1996
27. Olajuwon - 1986
26. Thomas - 1990
25. Jordan - 1998
24. Magic - 1982
23. Magic - 1980
22. LeBron - 2009
21. Duncan - 2007
20. Jordan - 1996
19. Bird - 1981
18. Jordan - 1997
17. Kobe - 2009
16. Magic - 1987
15. Kareem - 1980
14. Jordan - 1992
13. Wade - 2006
12. Shaq - 2002
11. Duncan - 1999
10. Bird - 1986
9. Bird - 1984
8. Malone - 1983
7. Olajuwon - 1994
6. Shaq - 2001
5. Jordan - 1993
4. Shaq - 2000
3. Duncan - 2003
2. LeBron - 2012
1. Jordan - 1991

2001 Iverson not in there? That was a great run from him tbh.

AussieFanKurt
06-12-2013, 08:29 AM

because paying stern for FTs isn't an act to be heralded

Thebesteva
06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
2001 Iverson not in there? That was a great run from him tbh.

Agreed.