PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a blowout: 14 possessions & 7:38 secs of disaster

tmtcsc
06-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I broke down the 14 possessions that led to the Spurs losing control of the game and suffering a blowout in 7:38 secs. That's all it took.
After looking at the possessions, I feel better knowing it was an aberration.

The Spurs scored 5 pts on 2 possessions, Committed TURNOVERS on 7 possessions, Missed 3 - 3 pt attempts and 2 2pt attempts.

Miami scored 33 pts on 13 possessions with only 1 miss by Chalmers. 6 possessions resulted in 3 pt plays.

Every Spurs miscue was turned in to points for Miami. It was a mixture of careless passes and Miami capitalizing on the other end. Like Pop said, take care of the ball. As you'll see from the 3 ptrs made by Miami, the shooters were wide open because of careless defense / late closeouts. Anybody would have killed us the way we played. Credit Miami for taking advantage of the opportunities and making the 3's.

SCORE 62-61 San Antonio lead

SAN ANTONIO POSSESSIONS:

1. Turnover – Manu
2. Turnover – Manu
3. Missed Shot – Duncan
4. Duncan – 1 Ft, 1 basket on rebound by Parker
5. Turnover – Duncan
6. Missed 3 pt Shot – Ginobili
7. Turnover – Gary Neal
8. Missed Shot – Airball Parker
9. Missed 3 pt Shot – Manu
10. Missed 3 pt Shot – Neal
11. Turnover – Splitter
12. Made Shot – Neal
13. Turnover – Blocked Shot on Splitter
14. Turnover – Parker

MIAMI POSSESSIONS

1. Chalmers – Basket & 1
2. Turnover - James
3. Allen – Made 3 pt basket
4. James - Layup
5. Miller – Made 3 pt basket
6. Chalmers – Made basket & 1
7. Chalmers – Missed shot
8. James – Made jumpshot
9. Miller – Made 3 pt basket
10. Chalmers – Made basket
11. James – FB layup
12. Chris Anderson – Makes 2 FT’s
13. Ray Allen – Wide Open 3 pt basket (Green late to cover)
14. James – Slam dunk on fast break

Miami 91-67

For approximately 40 minutes, the Spurs played competitive basketball although they weren't always sharp.

BillMc
06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the breakdown. Hopefully it was just a fluke, a combination of ineptitude on our end, and red hot shooting on their end. If we turn it over less than 12, and shoot a little better tonight, I like our chances.

RD2191
06-11-2013, 11:02 AM
In other words, Manu was responsible for most of it.

DJB
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Jenks
06-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see the same thing done with Knicks/Pacers game 2. Fascinating and horrifying games, almost the exact same story. Indiana seemed to care even less than the Spurs once the blowout started, although I think it took longer for Vogel to clear his bench.

freetiago
06-11-2013, 12:02 PM
10/14 possessions involved the heroes tbh per par..
Splitter is the only one who attempted to do something and tried to dunk it but we know how that ended

silverblackfan
06-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for breaking this segment of the game down. I was also going to watch the minutes that the game got away, but this helped jog the memory. Spurs lost their famous 'cool' and seemed to panic or just lose their rhythm. When all of the Big 3 are affected during same point in a game, the Spurs are bad.
Not going to happen tonight. Be cool, Spurs. Be cool, like the Ice Man. Calmly and cooly win this game.

spurso
06-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Thank you for posting this. It's actually encouraging because its correctable.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-11-2013, 12:41 PM

No, it was someone very close to you

ShoogarBear
06-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I disagree that is was an "aberration". Maybe the 33-5 magnitude was extreme, but what happened is precisely how the Heat win games.

The Spurs have to limit the number and duration of those runs that Miami is going to produce when they turn up the blitzing traps. If they can do that, they'll have opportunities because that style of play will take something out of them.

Budkin
06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Excellent breakdown!