PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Spurs aren't signing Scola

Kori Ellis
07-14-2005, 05:11 PM
NEW: Spurs to sign Argentinian center
Web Posted: 07/14/2005 04:45 PM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071405.spurs.en.a7482d7b.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Unwilling to wait any longer for Argentine forward Luis Scola to arrange a buyout agreement with his Spanish team, the Spurs have decided to sign one of his countrymen instead.

Fabricio Oberto, the starting center on Argentina’s national team and one of Manu Ginobili’s best friends, has reached an agreement in principle with the Spurs on a three-year contract.

Players can’t officially sign contracts until the NBA’s new collective bargaining agreement is completed. The league has set July 22 as a target date for lifting its signing moratorium.

For more details on Oberto, including the terms of his contract, pick up Friday’s San Antonio Express-News.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2005, 05:14 PM
I made this a separate thread because people were doubting Chad Ford's conclusions regarding Scola in the other thread. Ludden is close with the Spurs, and probably got this info first hand.

timvp
Interesting.

Scola messed up by signing that contract. If he isn't willing to take a hit financially to get his foot into the door, then he's going to have to wait.

Tough ish, but Spurs have to run a business. You can't give big money to a player who has never stepped onto an NBA floor ... especially an undersized one.

usckk
I wonder if this is Scola's fault or Scola's team's fault for the delays.

FromWayDowntown

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071405.spurs.en.a7482d7b.html

Johnny Ludden

Unwilling to wait any longer for Argentine forward Luis Scola to arrange a buyout agreement with his Spanish team, the Spurs have decided to sign one of his countrymen instead.

Fabricio Oberto, the starting center on Argentina’s national team and one of Manu Ginobili’s best friends, has reached an agreement in principle with the Spurs on a three-year contract.

Players can’t officially sign contracts until the NBA’s new collective bargaining agreement is completed. The league has set July 22 as a target date for lifting its signing moratorium.

For more details on Oberto, including the terms of his contract, pick up Friday’s San Antonio Express-News.

Coming from Ludden, that would appear to be fairly definitive. I can't imagine he'd lead with that line unless he'd been told that Scola was the hold-up and that this was an either/or proposition.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2005, 05:15 PM

Johnny Ludden

Thanks Manu.

Then we should know if they are using the LLE or part of the MLE.

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 05:16 PM
oh well...

I wonder if the Spurs will ever bring Scola over period, and just give his rights to another team.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2005, 05:18 PM
I wonder if this is Scola's fault or Scola's team's fault for the delays.

If Scola wants to come over, then the fault has to lie with Tau, unless Scola's came was trying to use the buyout to force the Spurs to up their offer.

T Park
07-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Shame.

But its looking more and more like the Spurs are not as high on Scola as alot of the scouts around the league and people including myself are.

Spurs know something.

Now to take that MLE and move it to a SF signing.

Mavs<Spurs
07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I made this a separate thread because people were doubting Chad Ford's conclusions regarding Scola in the other thread. Ludden is close with the Spurs, and probably got this info first hand.

please tell me more about Oberto. I hope he's a good player. I would hope that we are making a significant improvement to our team, but are we?
Thank you.
:fro

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Sign Oberto this offseason. Bring in Scola next summer. Have full MLE this offseason to address other needs besides the frontcourt which is already stacked.

sungo99
07-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks Manu.

Then we should know if they are using the LLE or part of the MLE.

If it's a 3 year deal it has to be part of the MLE according to the CBA.

Edit: LLE deals have a max of 2 years.

timvp
07-14-2005, 05:29 PM
If it's a 3 year deal it has to be part of the MLE according to the CBA.

Edit: LLE deals have a max of 2 years.

True. But that could change in the "new" CBA.

SequSpur
07-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Shame.

But its looking more and more like the Spurs are not as high on Scola as alot of the scouts around the league and people including myself are.

Spurs know something.

Now to take that MLE and move it to a SF signing.

They know something?

How about Luis... you want to play for the Spurs for the minimum and then a bigger deal down the road?

Ummmmm... I'll get back wit ju.

Spurs.. ummm... Oberto... sup bro? You down right now? Hell yeah!!

Luis... adios...

Not rocket science.

sungo99
07-14-2005, 05:33 PM

I researched this during lunch. According to RealGM.com, the exceptions didn't change in the new CBA. It's all in my blog. =)

jcrod
07-14-2005, 05:35 PM

I hope so, because if they can't trade Rash, I don't know why you sign this guy if you already have Rasho, Nazr and Horry. We need a long 3 before anything else.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
They know something?

How about Luis... you want to play for the Spurs for the minimum and then a bigger deal down the road?

Ummmmm... I'll get back wit ju.

Spurs.. ummm... Oberto... sup bro? You down right now? Hell yeah!!

Luis... adios...

Not rocket science.

True, Sequ. Manu signed for the LLE in the beginning and managed to pay his own buyout. So probably the Spurs didn't want Scola as badly as some people believe and/or Scola was trying to get more money than the Spurs thought he was worth.

I posted something similar in another thread.

Maybe the Spurs aren't as high on Scola as was let on. Perhaps calling him a "priority" helps them use him as trade bait this summer. The Spurs have always been somewhat skeptical about Scola's size, rebounding and defense in the past.

If the Spurs package Scola's rights along with Nazr or Rasho and get back a good NBA tested player, will you be disappointed?

If the Spurs can't get Scola here for a reasonable contract (i.e. 3year/9M) then I don't see why they should overpay.

ChumpDumper
07-14-2005, 05:39 PM
If other GMs are as high on Scola as some on this board, his trade stock will never be any higher than it is right now.

SequSpur
07-14-2005, 05:42 PM
The Spurs just won the championship... Scola is not a necessity right now, in fact, where are his minutes going to come from?

Rasho is now the overpaid 11th man. He might dethrone Malik's team record of most dollars spent on a chair courtside.

timvp
07-14-2005, 05:42 PM
If other GMs are as high on Scola as some on this board, his trade stock will never be any higher than it is right now.

So true.

Scola to the Hawks for an unprotected draft pick?

:drunk

SequSpur
07-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Scola is worth a top 5 pick right now. I still say its a smoke screen. Rasho is gone.

Summers
07-14-2005, 05:45 PM
This is probably a really dumb question, but here goes anyway...

After the moratorium is lifted on the 22nd, will we then know what next season's roster will look like? Or is it sort of an on-going process all summer? I've never paid attention to trades/signings before, so I don't know how this works.

SequSpur
07-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Usually within a couple of days after, the pieces fall into place.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2005, 05:46 PM
This is probably a really dumb question, but here goes anyway...

After the moratorium is lifted on the 22nd, will we then know what next season's roster will look like? Or is it sort of an on-going process all summer? I've never paid attention to trades/signings before, so I don't know how this works.

They can't start signing people starting after the moratorium ends, but things keep changing all summer. We probably won't know the Spurs final roster until training camp.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2005, 05:49 PM
As it stands right now there is likely one spot available on the active roster. I expect Devin Brown to be re-signed.

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Mohammed

Bench
1 Udrih
1/2 Barry
2 Brown
4 Horry
4/5 Oberto
5 Nesterovic

Looking at the bench, the obvious need would be a backup 3, though really it could be anyone.

SpursWoman
07-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Rasho is now the overpaid 11th man. He might dethrone Malik's team record of most dollars spent on a chair courtside.

:lol

Summers
07-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see what happens.

TheWriter
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
2/3 Brown

BigDiggyD
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
OK so Rasho and the rights to Scola for Andrei Kirilenko.... yes?!?!? maybe!??!??! no?!?!?!?!.... damn.... too bad AK47 isnt on the Knicks otherwise we could get that done...

jcrod
07-14-2005, 05:53 PM
But don't you think teams will also be turned off by the contract issues. Why would someone else not find it tiresome. I think the Spurs just made it harder for themsleves to trade Scola.

clubalien
07-14-2005, 05:54 PM
ak47 PULL THE FUCKING TRIIGER NOW HELL YES
i didn';t knwo tht guy was up for trade

Kori Ellis
Possible?

Starters
1 Parker
2 Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Shareef Abdur-Rahim
5 Duncan

Bench
1 Udrih
1/2 Barry
2/3 Brown
3 James Jones
4 Horry
4/5 Oberto
5 Nesterovic OR Mohammed

Marcus Bryant
It appears that the Spurs will be using part of their MLE to sign Oberto. If, for the moment, you assume that his deal starts at about $2 mil, then you have $3 mil left over to add a 3 to the bench.

Might a 3 year, $11 mil deal land Glenn Robinson?

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2005, 05:55 PM
The thing with JJones is that he's restricted and Indy has his Early Bird rights.

BigDiggyD
07-14-2005, 05:55 PM
ak47 PULL THE FUCKING TRIIGER NOW HELL YES
i didn';t knwo tht guy was up for trade

I was teasing.... its this desert air getting to me.. I did not mean to imply he was on the market

Kori Ellis
07-14-2005, 05:56 PM
The thing with JJones is that he's restricted and Indy has his Early Bird rights.

Yeah I know. I heard they aren't going to match on him. But that's just a rumor.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Then it's worth a shot.

strangeweather
07-14-2005, 05:58 PM
If Scola wants to come over, then the fault has to lie with Tau, unless Scola's came was trying to use the buyout to force the Spurs to up their offer.

I don't know that it's Tau's "fault" so much as I suspect they got what they wanted. They went to they EuroLeague finals last year -- why would they want to dump one of their top 2 players?

clubalien
07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
probaly depends what the offer is
don't know much about that guy either

bigbendbruisebrother
07-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Looking at the bench, the obvious need would be a backup 3, though really it could be anyone.

Amen that. That's been the primary need for a while. I hope they either sign Robinson or make a run at someone like Shane Battier (cough, perfect Spur).

bigbendbruisebrother
07-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah I know. I heard they aren't going to match on him. But that's just a rumor.

How long does a team have to match an offer on a restricted free agent?

clubalien
07-14-2005, 06:19 PM
old CBA 14
new CBA 7

ChumpDumper
07-14-2005, 06:45 PM
If there's nothing else to blow the MLE - or rest of the MLE if Oberto is paid from it -- waiting for a week isn't the end of the world. Indy will probably do it sooner since we traded them Ferry....

Sii
07-14-2005, 06:50 PM
appartly news in the last hour in Argentina according to a international poster at another site has Scola agreeing with Tau on the buyout today according to reports. Why do that if your not coming?

Kori Ellis
07-14-2005, 06:52 PM
appartly news in the last hour in Argentina according to a international poster at another site has Scola agreeing with Tau on the buyout today according to reports. Why do that if your not coming?

Hmmm.. Interesting. I talked to an Argentinean reporter from one of the main newspapers there on the phone about an hour ago. He didn't mention that when we were talking about Scola.

I guess we'll wait and see! If they get both of them, then that's a logjam upfront. Nazr or Rasho would have to be traded.

timvp
07-14-2005, 06:52 PM

Trade?

ChumpDumper
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
appartly news in the last hour in Argentina according to a international poster at another site has Scola agreeing with Tau on the buyout today according to reports. Why do that if your not coming?Maybe your rights are being traded.

clubalien
because you are begin signed by someone else after a trade?

ChumpDumper
Doh.

Sii
07-14-2005, 06:56 PM
here is what was reported

for what I was hearing here in Buenos Aires in last hours, Scola was due to agree to the buyout with TAU. I think this is not over.

clubalien
07-14-2005, 06:57 PM
anyone else confirm an actual buy out and not just an attempt at one?

ducks
the other part of the mle to big dog

maxpower
I don't know if it's been discussed...but how do Oberto and Scola compare?
Strengths, weaknesses?

timvp
07-14-2005, 06:59 PM
for what I was hearing here in Buenos Aires in last hours, Scola was due to agree to the buyout with TAU. I think this is not over.

That does not mean this:

appartly news in the last hour in Argentina according to a international poster at another site has Scola agreeing with Tau on the buyout today according to reports.

All that person was saying is they heard that Scola was trying to agree to a buyout. Nothing in that sentence tells me that the buyout happened or is close to happening.

Sandman52
07-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Damn, a trade of Scola's rights for Battier would be perfect.

sungo99
07-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Damn, a trade of Scola's rights for Battier would be perfect.

That doesn't work with the CBA. I *think* the Spurs could sign and trade him though.

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 07:16 PM
the other part of the mle to big dog
why?

clubalien
07-14-2005, 07:16 PM
how much is scola being paid? maybe if we knew that we could specuale if it was signed for ourselves or another team, and posible what player slaries match

was he signed and traded or just his rights if rights then there has to be another player traded too

clubalien
07-14-2005, 07:19 PM
why?
because we could use a backup for bowen
we need to sign or trade for someone

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 07:22 PM
because we could use a backup for bowen
we need to sign or trade for someone
Big Dog is done in the NBA.

Especially with him playing like 3 minutes per game, he isn't worth the money. He doesn't have any qualities that will help the Spurs, at least not anymore.

Gummi
07-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't know if it has been said before, correct me if it has, but Tau Ceramica's president is very hard to negotiate with and that's IMO the reason why Scola isn't comming.

But then again, if Scola isn't ready to put up money himself to finalize the deal, then I won't feel sorry for him.

Gummi
07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Big Dog has alot to offer to the Spurs. You're probably not familiar with him being signed with like 3 weeks left of the season and that's not enough time for a player to adjust and feel at home, esp. when comming of the bench.

He would be great off the bench for at least 2 more seasons. His jumper alone is enough to throw at him like $2 million a year.

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 07:43 PM

He would be great off the bench for at least 2 more seasons. His jumper alone is enough to throw at him like $2 million a year.
He's not gonna get enough minutes to make a difference, even with that "jumper" which IMO sucks now.

I hate Big Dog. I remember him running down a fastbreak, it was 3 on 1, and he just pulls up for a jumper, and misses. All he does is take jumpshots, and without him starting, I don't see him hitting many shots.

grjr
07-14-2005, 07:49 PM
He's not gonna get enough minutes to make a difference, even with that "jumper" which IMO sucks now.

I hate Big Dog. I remember him running down a fastbreak, it was 3 on 1, and he just pulls up for a jumper, and misses. All he does is take jumpshots, and without him starting, I don't see him hitting many shots.

I thought that was a good shot actually. It just didn't happen to go in.

I really think you have a distorted view of how good Big Dog still is. I would love to have him on the team next season.

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I thought that was a good shot actually. It just didn't happen to go in.

I really think you have a distorted view of how good Big Dog still is. I would love to have him on the team next season.
Big Dog can only be effective if he gets at least 20 mpg, something that is never gonna happen while on the Spurs. You can't put a jump shooter in for 3 minutes. How many points can a guy score in 3 minutes?
I just don't think his best opportunites are in San Antonio. Yeah, he can win a championship, but he won't be any factor.

Gummi
07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
With training camp and more adjustment to the Spurs system he's going to be fine. Imagine the talent on that team with guys like Horry, Barry, Oberto, Robinson, Brown, and Rasho (or not) on the bench. Wow. That's a great bench.

If Robinson is ready to come off the bench and play 15-20 minutes a night, then welcome back. Even if it will cost us $2 million a year or maybe a little bit more. It's worth it.

td4mvp3
07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
i like the idea of battier, i'm also curious to see people's thoughts on how this might affect something for SAR, donyell marshall or caron butler? i know the last guy was just traded to washington, but they could use a center and maybe some mixing-and-matching could spur something.

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Do you guys think any team would give $2 million for Glenn Robinson???

We should trade Big Dog for some $$$ to help us pay the buyout.

clubalien
07-14-2005, 08:04 PM
well i see no more news so should we assume no buy out happened?

Gino2882
07-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Getting Battier would be great, but I think it would only be good if Battier is guaranteed to start in 06.

50 cent
07-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Do you guys think any team would give $2 million for Glenn Robinson???

We should trade Big Dog for some $$$ to help us pay the buyout.
We can only pay $350,000 of the buyout no matter what.

Why would we give Oberto part of the MLE when it seems he could be had for the LLE? What about giving Big Dog the LLE if we did in fact give Oberto part of the MLE? There are definitely some interesting things in the works right now. In Pop and RC we trust. :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Here's my guess...

Spurs have been negotiating with Nazr's agent. They know by now if they're going to be able to extend him this summer or not (I think it would be cheaper to get an extension done this summer than try to re-sign him next summer).

If they are close to a deal, once it's done Rasho is gone. If there's no hope, you've got an attractive talent in Nazr with an attractive contract (up next year) to boot.

With Oberto in the fold, Scola is expendable.

I could see the Spurs sending out either Rasho or Nazr, along with Beno and the rights to Scola for a team for a near All-Star/good quality SF. Then turn around and use the MLE on one Antonio Daniels.

Just a guess, but all the pieces of the puzzle fit.

Tony
Manu
New SF/Bowen
Duncan
Nazr or Rasho

AD
Barry/Brown
Bowen/New SF/Big Dog
Horry
Oberto/Tmass

beirmeistr
07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
I hope the Spurs keep the rights to Scola and bring him over next year if not this year. He is only 25.

midgetonadonkey
07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Am I wrong or did Scola come off the bench during the Olympics. I remember watching most of the basketball games but I can't remember for sure if he was a bench dude or starting. I've drank a lot of beer and smoked a lot of weed since then so I'm not sure.

P.S. My beer can just started moving across my desk for no apparent reason. I'm kinda freaking out.

Timoha
07-14-2005, 10:24 PM
I think that he was the 6th man, but I believe that he played more minutes that Oberto, and finished out the games.

SequSpur
07-14-2005, 10:25 PM
WTF... I just got home and found out we signed another Argentina Foreigner guy?

WTF????????????

Isn't the ratio of brothas to foreigners ratio affecting the crossover dribble and dunk quality balance on this team?

WTF? Isn't the Manu lovers in here enough, now we have Fa.......Bri.....Cio....... Damn...

This mofo better be able to play... I already have a knic for himm........

Fabricio O'blows.

midgetonadonkey
07-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Isn't the ratio of brothas to foreigners ratio affecting the crossover dribble and dunk quality balance on this team?

That bullshit doesn't win games. Maybe you should be watching the And1 tour instead of the NBA.

clubalien
07-14-2005, 10:30 PM
the NBA needs more white superstars

midgetonadonkey
07-14-2005, 10:32 PM
the NBA needs more white superstars

The NBA need less superstars and more complete teams. The superstar aspect of the NBA is what is killing the game.