PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Robert Horry: " Listen I Played With Both and I'd Pick Kobe Over Timmy"

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:24 PM
There you have folks...Horry just shut Lebron down....the man has 7 rings..7 fuckin rings....he played with both...he would know...he's qualified...he hath spoken....he was still kind to Timmy but he simply prefers Kobe....:lol

Last week Miami Heat star LeBron James sparked the debate saying San Antonio's Tim Duncan was the generations best player over Los Angeles' Kobe Bryant, and even now fans haven't stopped the comparison of both players' careers.

In his interview with HoopsHype (http://hoopshype.com/interviews/barrigon/robert-horry-dwight-howard-would-have-no-chance-against-olajuwon#xSe9tBgQmfvtjcrk.99), Horry provided reasoning for choosing Bryant over Duncan:
"I would still pick Kobe. Tim is great, but I tell everybody this: Look at this from the GM perspective. Who's going to sell tickets, put the people in the arena? Tim? Nah, not so many [laughs]. Don't get me wrong, he's going to win, but he won't draw so many people to the arena."

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:25 PM
My bad here's the link

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/16512/20130611/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-seven-time-champion-robert-horry-kobe-bryant-generation-best-tim-duncan-lebron-james-nba-news-finals-2013-preview-update.htm

Juggity
06-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Horry didn't get to play with '99-'03 Duncan tbh.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:29 PM

It's not like he said Duncan was dog shit...he just said for his money he's going with Kobe...same thing MJ, Larry Bird, Dr J, Kareem, Dirk, and even D-Wade said when comparing Lebonzo to Kobe...they didn't shit on him they just prefer that poisonous snake :lol

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Even Shaq when asked to rank Kobe, Lebron and Wade, since he played with all 3..said he has to go with Kobe...he said Lebron and Wade were dawgs...but that Kobe was a Scientific Dawg :lol

Leetonidas
06-11-2013, 02:34 PM
lol dumbass, he didn't say Kobe was better than Tim but that Kobe would put more seats in the arena, which is true. Big fucking deal

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Horry didn't play with 06-10 Kobe tbh.

ohmwrecker
06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Maybe they they should have rephrased the question . . .

"whose coattails were easier to ride?"

Prime Time
06-11-2013, 02:37 PM
lol dumbass, he didn't say Kobe was better than Tim but that Kobe would put more seats in the arena, which is true. Big fucking deal

/thread

ohmwrecker
06-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Horry didn't play with 06-10 Kobe tbh.

Would they have advanced past the 1st rd in '06 or '07 if he had tbh?

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 02:40 PM
He also said before this interview that Kobe was better. In this one he is saying that not only is kobe better, but he will also sell more tickets, just another reason to pick him tbh.

unforeseen
06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Waiting for him to say that he would take The Dream over Shaq or Kirby.

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Would they have advanced past the 1st rd in '06 or '07 if he had tbh?
Well they were a rebound away from beating #2 seed in 06. Put Horry in there instead of Kwame Brown...what do you think? Horry would have defended Thomas better in that clutch possession tbh.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:45 PM

It's called being Politically Correct....but of course Kobe was a better player across the board....Duncan was better though at banking shots off the backboard..He was prolly the best to ever do that and it was impressive....

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Waiting for him to say that he would take The Dream over Shaq or Kirby.

He did say he would take Dream over Shaq and Timmy as big men...but he won't pick between Shaq and Timmy

ohmwrecker
06-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Well they were a rebound away from beating #2 seed in 06. Put Horry in there instead of Kwame Brown...what do you think? Horry would have defended Thomas better in that clutch possession tbh.

Kirby still would have been unclutch. Wouldn't matter.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:51 PM
After he picked Hakeem over Shaq he said the following:

I'll say it again:

Shaq's feelings may be hurt when he reads this, but as he looks at his 4 rings and 3 finals MVP's, I'm sure he'll feel better. Last time I checked, Akeem only had 2.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:52 PM
He also said this:

SLAM: You played with some great players in Olajuwon, Duncan, Kobe and Shaq. Who was the best you played with?

RH: The best player as far as straight out talent was Hakeem Olajuwon. He was just very talented for a guy his size. But as far as straight work ethic, the guy that you knew was going to bring it every night was Kobe. He was probably one of the smartest guys you’d ever get to play with.

Kobe The Smart :lol

dg7md
06-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Kobe and Duncan are the greatest position players in their generation tbh

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Question to Larry Bird: If you could pick any player you'd want to play with who would it be?

Larry Bird: "Kobe"

Larry Bird: "If you want to have fun you pick Lebron, if you want to win you pick Kobe."

ecS0D-Vxh8Y

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Kobe and Duncan are the greatest position players in their generation tbh

that's true...but the bar is much higher when talking greatest ever...if we're talking greatest guard we're talking 1. MJ and 2.Kobe if we're talking greatest big man...Duncan may be 5th

StrengthAndHonor
06-11-2013, 03:01 PM
He did say he would take Dream over Shaq and Timmy as big men...but he won't pick between Shaq and Timmy

This.

Bob would probably pick Olajuwon over Kobe though. Everybody that played with akeem loves the Dream.

DPG21920
06-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Why people respond to this is beyond me and you should be ashamed.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Dan Gelston ✔ @APgelston (https://twitter.com/APgelston) Dr J says if he had to pick between LeBron and Kobe he picks ... Bryant. Says Kobe 1 of top 5 players of all time.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:03 PM
This.

Bob would probably pick Olajuwon over Kobe though. Everybody that played with akeem loves the Dream.

I agree

jimbo
Boiled down

Duncan: 2 perfect Achilles
Lebron: 2 perfect Achilles
Kobe: 1

Let us proceed

Koolaid_Man
Why people respond to this is beyond me and you should be ashamed.

^ why look...a crying a pussy...you don't say :lol

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Horry actually recently did say Kobe's career > Duncan's

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/28/robert-horry-olajuwon-over-duncan-hands-down/

Audio is in the link.

Rank's the career of Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan. He said he would rank Kobe one, Duncan close second, and Shaq third, also said Shaq was the most dominant of the three.

When asked if he had to pick one one of them in one game where his life depended on it and they are at their absolute peak of their career he said Kobe.

There you go Spurfan, still going to deny Kobe>Duncan tbh?

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:06 PM

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/28/robert-horry-olajuwon-over-duncan-hands-down/

Audio is in the link.

Rank's the career of Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan. He said he would rank Kobe one, Duncan close second, and Shaq third, also said Shaq was the most dominant of the three.

When asked if he had to pick one one of them in one game where his life depended on it and they are at their absolute peak of their career he said Kobe.

The man does have 7 rangs

Sean Cagney
06-11-2013, 03:07 PM

^^^^^ This fool just loves to start shit all the time with his stupid posts. Go fish Lakers fan.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm actually torn though on Duncan and Shaq...I think if I had to pick I'd like to see Kobe and Duncan on the same team...a prime Mamba and TD would have challenged Bill Russell's 11 rings...They have 9 titles between them so it's plausible

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 03:08 PM
The man does have 7 rangs
And played with all three tbh

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
^^^^^ This fool just loves to start shit all the time with his stupid posts. Go fish Lakers fan.

you're an intellectual lite weight...I've never seen any thoughtful bball analysis from you...just another crying pussy

InK
06-11-2013, 03:12 PM
So in short, if your trying to make more money go with Kobe, if your trying to win go with Timmy? Well, gotta respect Horry's opinion seeing "the man has 7 rings..7 fuckin rings....he played with both...he would know...he's qualified...he hath spoken...."

MeloHype
06-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Doesn't mean shit, Duncan is still better than Kirby

spurraider21
06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
They asked Horry to choose between Shaq, Dream, and Tim, and his response was "Shaq gave me 3, Tim gave me 2, and Dream gave me 2 so I'm going to have to go with Shaq. That could change if Tim gets me more."

I don't have the exact quote on hand but I very specifically remember his answer being something along those lines.

And big whoop if he thinks Kobe puts butts in the stands. I wonder what Kobe's career would have been like if the Hornets didn't trade him. He'd be a slightly better version of Tmac with no rings

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:17 PM
So in short, if your trying to make more money go with Kobe, if your trying to win go with Timmy? Well, gotta respect Horry's opinion seeing "the man has 7 rings..7 fuckin rings....he played with both...he would know...he's qualified...he hath spoken...."

Spur fan refuse to accept reality....read the whole interview...He said Kobe was flat out better in his view

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:19 PM
They asked Horry to choose between Shaq, Dream, and Tim, and his response was "Shaq gave me 3, Tim gave me 2, and Dream gave me 2 so I'm going to have to go with Shaq. That could change if Tim gets me more."

I don't have the exact quote on hand but I very specifically remember his answer being something along those lines.

And big whoop if he thinks Kobe puts butts in the stands. I wonder what Kobe's career would have been like if the Hornets didn't trade him. He'd be a slightly better version of Tmac with no rings

^ One thing we know for sure..BR Hornet would be a devout fan :lol

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Doesn't mean shit, Duncan is still better than Kirby

7 rangs dawg

InK
06-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Spur fan refuse to accept reality....read the whole interview...He said Kobe was flat out better in his view

Why didn't u post that then? Instead of going with the Kobe GOAT ticket seller?

MeloHype
7 rangs dawg
Duncan got him 2, shaq got him 3, hakeem got him 2, kirby got him 0:lol

Arcadian
Look at this from the GM perspective. Who's going to sell tickets, put the people in the arena?

No, that's the wrong question to be asking. What the fuck does "selling tickets" have to do with anything? Maybe if you're a bought-and-sold douchebag tool that's how you think, but otherwise the question is:

Who gives this franchise the best chance to win consistently?

And the answer to that would be Tim Duncan.

Sorry, but Horry is way off here, and I just lost some respect for him.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Duncan got him 2, shaq got him 3, hakeem got him 2, kirby got him 0:lol

and yet the irony of still picking Kobe :lmao

InK
06-11-2013, 03:24 PM
No, that's the wrong question to be asking. What the fuck does "selling tickets" have to do with anything? Maybe if you're a bought-and-sold douchebag tool that's how you think, but otherwise the question is:

Heh why? All he said ( well all that Kool posted here anyways) is true. Kobe is great at selling tickets and merchandise, a lot better then Duncan. Nothing controversial about that.

Amaso
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM

How does Timmy give you a chance to win more consistently? Kobe has been a superstar for longer than Timmy. The only times that the Spurs were noticeably better than the Lakers were the 3 years that Kobe was playing with actual d-league quality players around him.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Heh why? All he said ( well all that Kool posted here anyways) is true. Kobe is great at selling tickets and merchandise, a lot better then Duncan. Nothing controversial about that.

Audio is in the link.

InK
06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
and yet the irony of still picking Kobe :lmao

:lol Kool with the reading apprehension WIN.

Guess after so many failures to lure responses, u finally re- found that level of stupidity that makes people want to respond to you. Grats on finding your mojo again. :lol

Ditty
06-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Still wish Kobe was relevant enough to make it to the finals and get beat down by LeBron like usual :cry

InK
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Duncan's career aint finished though, much unlike Kobe's. And its not like he played with Duncan during his prime, but sure u can say Kobe's peak> Duncan's peak. Got no problem with that.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
:lol Kool with the reading apprehension WIN.

Guess after so many failures to lure responses, u finally re- found that level of stupidity that makes people want to respond to you. Grats on finding your mojo again. :lol

let me be clear..I don't post or start threads with the intention of getting you to respond...everything I post is for your consumption...I'm a self contained entity...the post and threads will come regrdless...one day you simps will recognize my genius for what it is

InK
06-11-2013, 03:38 PM
let me be clear..I don't post or start threads with the intention of getting you to respond...everything I post is for your consumption...I'm a self contained entity...the post and threads will come regrdless...one day you simps will recognize my genius for what it is

Im fully aware u post mainly for your own entertainment and amusement, but cmon it gotta hurt at least a little bit when ur "How To Zoom In Perfectly On A Woman's Peach" revelation thread does not provide any noticeable interest. A little bit? Ah the torments of an unrecognized genius....

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Still wish Kobe was relevant enough to make it to the finals and get beat down by LeBron like usual :cry
I wish Duncan wasn't such a TOSB and would not shoot 3-13 in a Finals game so the Spurs can actually beat the Heat.

InK
06-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I wish Duncan wasn't such a TOSB and would not shoot 3-13 in a Finals game so the Spurs can actually beat the Heat.

Ye, those good old 6-24 days, where have thou gone.:lol

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Ah back in the day when Kobe had a good supporting cast. The only cast he has right now is on his achilles.

StrengthAndHonor
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Lakers won the series tbh. That's the bottom line I would think.

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Im fully aware u post mainly for your own entertainment and amusement, but cmon it gotta hurt at least a little bit when ur "How To Zoom In Perfectly On A Woman's Peach" revelation thread does not provide any noticeable interest. A little bit? Ah the torments of an unrecognized genius....

:lol....let me peep you to something.....I'm a firm believer that 80% of Spur fan is really gay...so it amuses me...you will learn about my ways soon enough...I don't post for validation...I am your validation :toast

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Lakers won the series tbh. That's the bottom line I would think.
Lakers shot 33% and Celtics shot 41%. What won the game was rebounds and FTs. Kobe had 15 rebounds and was 11-15 from the FT line. I'm not going to say that Kobe had a good game though, but he did other things to help.

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Not that his opinion is relevant, but you guys are aware that Horry works for the Lakers and has lobbied for a Lakers job since he retired, right?:lol..

baseline bum
06-11-2013, 03:57 PM
CROFL Kobe not having a supporting cast when he has Bible Kemp & Gasol.

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
As I've said many times, as advanced stats continue to grow and become a prominent part of the NBA(and it has already begun, as NBA teams are now hiring stats guys as GMs), Kobe's legacy will take a hit, tbh..

The only argument in his favor is ring count and unquantifiable traits..

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Gasol was horrible the first half of the season. Dude was getting benched.

sexinthatsx
06-11-2013, 04:02 PM

LOL I just had to comment on this... so all of your previous 18,663 posts are all thread starters and none are inviting responses? I can spot numerous times where you did that in this thread alone.

MY GOD, THIS GUY IS A CONTRADICTING GENIUS!!!

Deuce Bigalow
06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
As I've said many times, as advanced stats continue to grow and become a prominent part of the NBA(and it has already begun, as NBA teams are now hiring stats guys as GMs), Kobe's legacy will take a hit, tbh..

Magic Johnson and Larry Bird woould not be considered top 10 all-time if you go by PER in their prime.

ffadicted
06-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Who's going to sell tickets, put the people in the arena

lol

Kool Bob Love
06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't care what some scrub has to say about Timmy. Horry average 8 points in the playoffs for his career. lmao.

Kool Bob Love
06-11-2013, 04:18 PM
And then of course the OP has to jump on larry bird. House negro ass. Where is Django when you need him.

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Magic Johnson and Larry Bird woould not be considered top 10 all-time if you go by PER in their prime.

Haven't looked up their PER numbers, but based on previous research IIRC, they would both still rank highly using advanced metrics..

I actually have Kobe in my top 10 all-time and I wouldn't even think twice about it, but most advanced statisticians and people that don't blindly use ring count and traits such as "killer instinct" think less highly of him than I do, tbh..

I don't like using the opinions of others to rank him, because if you do that, it's difficult to ignore all the negative opinions and subtle shots from the many of his teammates + Phil Jackson, tbh..

AchillesHeel
06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
:lol Horry works for the Lakers, well, I think he works for their own Sports Network, Time Warner or whatever, you think he ain't gonna say nice things about Achilles?

Bynumite
06-11-2013, 05:10 PM

You know what's quantifiable? Two players, one being 1 of 3 in Finals and the other 6 of 6 with 2 3peats and both players still getting compared to each other.

And about the OP, what's more credible? The opinion of multiple new and old school players and coaches, people with championships and knowledge of the game that pick Kobe over jim or the opinion of random butthurt faggits on the web.

KaiRMD1
06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
So basically he'd pick Kobe specifically as a sideshow? The Grizzlies did that with Jason Williams back in the day too. So I guess Jason Williams = Kobe Bryant according to Robert Horry.

Reck
06-11-2013, 05:13 PM
So because Kobe sells more tickets he chooses him? lol

StrengthAndHonor
06-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Not a huge fan of advance stats either. There are intangibles not recorded in this data. But its consistent in terms of efficiency. Kobe's actually a pretty dominant player in the playoffs but he's been historically weaker than his counterparts in the Finals. This is one reason why Kobe's considered as the weakest player in the Top 10 list.

That said, his whole body of work is hard to overlook and is why he'll always be in the conversation.

midnightpulp
06-11-2013, 05:30 PM
You know what's quantifiable? Two players, one being 1 of 3 in Finals and the other 6 of 6 with 2 3peats and both players still getting compared to each other.

And about the OP, what's more credible? The opinion of multiple new and old school players and coaches, people with championships and knowledge of the game that pick Kobe over jim or the opinion of random butthurt faggits on the web.

Random butthurt faggots on the web.

It's a well known fact that the opinions of former players and "basketball people" are usually some of the worst and most inaccurate. It's why many teams now employ stat head "nerds" (Rich Cho, Sam Presti, Rob Hennigan, John Hollinger) who "never picked up a basketball in their life" as GMs.

Because stats unlike opinion are objective.

And every advanced stat known to man (as well as good deal of per game stats) prove:

Duncan>Kobe

Let's review:

Higher regular season PER.

Higher playoff PER.

2nd and 10th best statistical Finals performance of all time. Kobe has none in the top 10.

3rd and 11th best statistical playoff runs of all time. Kobe doesn't rank until number 17.

Duncan also ranks higher on the "best individual playoff game" list than Kobe.

3 Finals MVPs to 2.

2 regular season MVPs to 1.

Shoots a better percentage on game winners in the playoffs than Kobe.

He even has more playoff triple doubles than Kobe, which is a feat easier to get for perimeter players :lol

midnightpulp
06-11-2013, 05:56 PM

:lol Still using that line of reasoning to try and debunk PER.

I've explained to you many times why Bird and Magic are outliers in this case, more so Magic, because of how PER doesn't value assists as highly as other stats (and for good reason. The assist is the most overrated stat in basketball, since the majority of the time to get an assist requires the player who received the pass to make the shot, meaning he's actually the greater half in that equation and is tasked with more work, because making a shot is more difficult than just passing the ball).

For example, Wilt led the league in assists one year by consciously deferring, even going as far as passing up dunks to dish the ball off so he could record an assist. Rajon Rondo and John Stockton are also infamous assist whores. So was your beloved Kobe Bryant during his "Kobe Johnson" phase.

However, Magic and Bird's passes typically created the offense for the player who got the ball, which is why they are typically regarded as the two best passers in history, despite the latter never leading the league in assists.

midnightpulp
06-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Bright side was Duncan's shit performance didn't come in a must win game like here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406100DET.html

Or here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406130DET.html

Or here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200406150DET.html

And that was Kobe in his prime. :lmao

SupremeGuy
06-11-2013, 06:23 PM
lol dumbass, he didn't say Kobe was better than Tim but that Kobe would put more seats in the arena, which is true. Big fucking dealWell, that was quick. :lol

td4mvp2k
06-11-2013, 06:36 PM

:lol td owns dat b*tch

Koolaid_Man
06-11-2013, 06:56 PM
:lol Still using that line of reasoning to try and debunk PER.

I've explained to you many times why Bird and Magic are outliers in this case, more so Magic, because of how PER doesn't value assists as highly as other stats (and for good reason. The assist is the most overrated stat in basketball, since the majority of the time to get an assist requires the player who received the pass to make the shot, meaning he's actually the greater half in that equation and is tasked with more work, because making a shot is more difficult than just passing the ball).

For example, Wilt led the league in assists one year by consciously deferring, even going as far as passing up dunks to dish the ball off so he could record an assist. Rajon Rondo and John Stockton are also infamous assist whores. So was your beloved Kobe Bryant during his "Kobe Johnson" phase.

However, Magic and Bird's passes typically created the offense for the player who got the ball, which is why they are typically regarded as the two best passers in history, despite the latter never leading the league in assists.

^ talk about spinning the shit outta a losing argument

Leetonidas
06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
sons koolaid man is a retard but tbh ive to appreciate his retarded musings and his necessity to this forum. i mean he gets shat on constantly but that nigga just keeps trudging along and posting no matter what and still incites butthurt. tbh gj kool :tu

DAF86
06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
So the reason he picks Kobe is 'cause he would sell tickets? :lol

Mark919
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Kobe will always be the first pick in these made up teams.