PDA

View Full Version : Single-malt scotch

ShoogarBear
07-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Any experts on this?

My boss is retiring. He's a single-malt scotch guy. Me, I only know Scotch Tape. Any recommendations on good stuff to get, as long as the prices aren't ridiculous (like, say $1K)?

spurschick
07-14-2005, 07:30 PM
18-yr-old Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve or 18-yr-old Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch

Each is around $65

Notorious H.O.P.
07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Glenfiddich is a little too peaty for me but it has loads of body if that is what your boss likes.

Glenlivet is more my speed. Glenlivet 12 more specifically although the more aging, the better. Flavorful but subtle with a smooth, light finish. Might need to bump up to Glenlivet 18 in the near future.

Cragganmore is pretty good and very similar is style to Glenlivet but lingers on the palate longer.

Highland Park has good body and a slightly sweet flavor.

Macallan is pretty good if you like a drier characteristic to your scotch.

Obviously as you move to more aged versions of these offerings, the more some of the harshness inherant to liquor will mellow. I enjoy scotch but by no means am I an expert. The scotches describe above fit my "affordability profile" and are widely available so if you're looking for something special, and I'm assuming you are considering your price ceiling, maybe you'd be better getting something shipped in or special ordered at a high end liquor store. Hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction or has a good suggestion for a scotch of the caliber you're looking for.

SWC Bonfire
07-15-2005, 08:27 AM
I like Glenmorangie 12 yr that is aged in Sherry casks. Adds another slight flavor to it. Costs $55 bucks or so.