PDA

View Full Version : What Shape are we in if we don't get a SF?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2005, 08:31 PM
if we don't resign g-rob, dont use the MLE on a free agent SF

Can we do without one?

Or is it pretty much a given we will get a SF from SOMEWHERE?

what do you all think

danyel
07-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Same as last season, and we did alright.

Cant_Be_Faded
no we had blatant matchup problems with big athletic sf's all year..

ALVAREZ6
If we don't sign a SF, we are still in excellent shape.

We don't really need one, our latest title just proved that correct.

Barry, Manu, TP... Beno, Manu, Barry

our 3 guard line ups seem to work fine, 2 SG's, 1 PG.

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 08:34 PM
no we had blatant matchup problems with athletic sf's all year..

we still won the NBA title, and that's all that matters.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2005, 08:35 PM
If we don't sign a SF, we are still in excellent shape.

We don't really need one, our latest title just proved that correct.

Barry, Manu, TP... Beno, Manu, Barry

our 3 guard line ups seem to work fine, 2 SG's, 1 PG.

Pop didnt play 3 guard lineups very often at all in the regular season

he pulled that shit outta the hat in crucial playoff situations

i dont think he likes 3 guard lineups

Cant_Be_Faded
we still won the NBA title, and that's all that matters.

but we are talking about next season....defending a title is way harder than winning the first

ALVAREZ6

Oh really, then who did he play when Bowen was out???

That's what I remember all season long...we didn't even have another SF that played, and we never played 3 big men, so that leads us to the conclusion that he did it all season.

TheWriter
Linton Johnson didn't play all year. There might be hope with him.

Also, since Scola isn't coming this year (he might...) we have the MLE to bring a FA SF to the team.

Big Dog is not the answer at three. Sorry. He good for spot up minutes but not 20 plus minutes.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2005, 08:37 PM
bruce bowen averaged 32 mins a game, 3rd highest on the team, higher than ginobili even

hes out there ALOT..and hes 1 year older now..

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 08:37 PM
but we are talking about next season....defending a title is way harder than winning the first
We just added Oberto.

Tim will be healthier (hopefully), and the summer isn't over yet.

We have time.

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 08:38 PM
bruce bowen averaged 32 mins a game, 3rd highest on the team, higher than ginobili even

And he's in great shape, and he seems like he can continue doing it.

TheWriter
07-14-2005, 08:38 PM

1 WHOLE YEAR!?

Wow... that's a lot.

:lol

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2005, 08:39 PM
i sure hope he can, i mean i really really do, hes one of my favorite spurs

i dont think we've resigned LJ3 yet, or have we?

ALVAREZ6
07-14-2005, 08:41 PM
i sure hope he can, i mean i really really do, hes one of my favorite spurs

One of my favorite spurs too.

Bruce Bowen is the man. He will be fine next year.

It isn't a bad idea to get another SF though, I like the Battier idea, he would fit in great.

I still think Manu can play the SF spot. He can defend pretty well too.

TheWriter
07-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Walter Herrmann

http://www.draftcity.com/gallery/General/1109112167.jpg

Said it last year and I'll say it again. SIGN HIM!

In 2003 for Fuenlabrada he avg. 22 pts and 10 rebs.

He's 6'8 and can win the All-Star dunk contest if he entered, lol.

Spursdaone
07-14-2005, 08:51 PM
The spurs don't have to worry about the rare long athletic small forwards. Barry can guard them or Brown can guard them. Horry could guard them also.
I say forget about that position because putting 2 shooting guards with a point guard has been working. It worked for Miami also.

TheWriter
07-14-2005, 08:53 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2004/08/27/2002017978.jpg

That's a good Boozer, good Boozer.

duncan_21
07-14-2005, 09:13 PM

Ha ha
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Banks91
07-14-2005, 09:33 PM
the spurs are gonna go as far as the big 4 take us
duncan,manu,parker, and bowen

midgetonadonkey
07-14-2005, 09:35 PM
If we are having trouble at that spot before the trade deadline, and Rasho is still around, I think a trade will happen and one will get picked up. I don't think it will be resolved during the offseason, except for resigning Devin. If we are hurting, we will get one.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-14-2005, 09:35 PM

Damn, he looks like he'd be a hell of a rugby player.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-14-2005, 09:47 PM

Whoa. That won't get it done. Last season was a bitch. True we won it all, but think how tough it was. Think it'll get easier or stay the same next season? Think again. The rest of the league is working hard to improve their weaknesses, and they're all gunning for us. If the Spurs want to repeat, they need to address their weaknesses as well, and depth at the 3 tops the list. It's glaring. If Bowen goes down or his play diminishes, and we don't have a backup who can reliably (cough, Brown's back, Barry's no shows) contribute big minutes, we're hosed.

Pop and RC know this. They'll get it done.

As for Hermann, he'd be a project with a lot of upside, but we sure could use a proven SF right now if repeating is the goal.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2005, 09:48 PM
The spurs don't have to worry about the rare long athletic small forwards. Barry can guard them or Brown can guard them. Horry could guard them also.
I say forget about that position because putting 2 shooting guards with a point guard has been working. It worked for Miami also.

barry can guard long athletic sfs????? horry can guard athletic long sfs?????

brown has some merit

but dude seriously youre retarded

i remember watching that herrmann dude in the olympics, his ball handling sucks ass he'd get picked every time he drove it in the nba

Brutalis
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
The 2nd best team in the West just got better. The Lakers are alive again and competition out West is getting more intense.

But nahhhhhh we dont need no SF.

Gimme a damn break. If we dont get one we're screwed.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-14-2005, 09:54 PM
yes the last year worked argument is dumb imo

Mr. Body
07-14-2005, 11:30 PM
A good backup SF is not absolutely necessary, though it will mean long SFs will hurt us. It's a specialty position in the NBA, though, and only Seattle, among our toughest rivals, have anyone of caliber to hurt us badly there.

This team is remarkably deep and versatile and this is their only weak spot. But we have a platoon of competent and skilled big men and a core of dynamic and talented guards, plus a terrific perimeter defender. I don't see us fixing the problem of depth at the 3 simply because there are no players out there that could be had and that deserve playing time over any other player on the roster.

I don't see this as an alarming problem, however. Teams will have much harder times matching up with an increasingly powerful Spurs team on offense.

shyne
07-14-2005, 11:55 PM
I say we go after someone like Gerald Wallace

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 12:00 AM
I don't think it would be a huge problem if we went into the season with the same 2-3 rotation that we had to end this past season. It would be nice to find a long athletic 3, but those are hard to come by. With Bruce, Manu, Brent, and Brown being able to D up on whatever any team throws at us from the 2 or 3 spot I feel alright.

BUT, Bruce is getting older and the Spurs need to bring in someone to learn from him sooner rather than later.

Solid D
07-15-2005, 12:00 AM
The Spurs will need another wing player and I think they'll get one, if they don't re-sign Devin Brown. No question.

I'm not feelin' LJIII right now. They'll get another 3 man besides the normal rotation of Manu, Bruce and Brent on the wing...whether by trade or free agency.

Spursdaone
07-15-2005, 12:05 AM
All the spurs need are Devin Brown or another offensive shooting guard or small forward to go with Parker and Ginobili.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 12:07 AM
i love lj3, cuz hes fucking ripped as shit

i bet out of all the long sf's hes one of the strongest

we just gotta resign him and i'll be satisified

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 12:31 AM
i love lj3, cuz hes fucking ripped as shit

i bet out of all the long sf's hes one of the strongest

we just gotta resign him and i'll be satisified
He needs to work on his Offensive game ALOT just to get at Bruce's level. He has no jump shot.

TheWriter
07-15-2005, 12:32 AM
He needs to work on his Offensive game ALOT just to get at Bruce's level. He has no jump shot.

Bruce has an offensive game?

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Bruce can hit the open three pointer, and he has been dribble driving a lot more the past few years. LJIII, right now, would be a huge offensive liabilty.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 12:35 AM

very true

but with his size and athleticism he can become more than bruce bowen ever was defensively (i fully believe anyone could and bruce's talent is due to being the hardest worker of all time) and if he works under bruces' tutelege he can show us some pretty awe inspiring D

Spursdaone
07-15-2005, 12:46 AM
spurs need another slasher at the 2/3 to beat the suns. Nash has the most trouble against those type of players and Bowen doesn't have an offensive game to break down Nash so he isn't the answer. Ginobili, Parker, and slasher 2/3 would beat the suns.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2005, 12:47 AM
These takes are just getting surreal.

Mark in Austin
07-15-2005, 12:56 AM
yup... 'cause we haven't been able to beat them with Bowen...

I think I have it figured out - he's bizzaro spurs fan.

Spursdaone
07-15-2005, 01:00 AM
yup... 'cause we haven't been able to beat them with Bowen...

I think I have it figured out - he's bizzaro spurs fan.
The only reason Nash was guarding Parker the first 2 games was because Joe Johnson was out. The spurs won the first 2 games because of that matchup problem for Nash. If we get another slasher at the 2/3 Nash would again have to guard Parker because he has trouble with those type of players. Bowen can't play heavy minutes so why not get Brown or a backup 2/3 slasher.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Bowen can't play heavy minutesMore than Mike James, strangely enough.

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 01:09 AM
More than Mike James, strangely enough.
Mike James for Bruce Bowen? What were you thinking Spursdaone?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 01:15 AM
to reiterate bowen had the 3rd highest minutes of any spur in the reg season

but we still need to look out for the future, even if we sign g-rob i'd be satisifed

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 01:30 AM
The Spurs still have some money left (1/2 the MLE and the whole LLE) plus some tradeable commodities, so I think they'll get a SF here.

There's several guys on their radar, I'm sure. So I'm not worried about it yet.

tophy7
07-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Battier would be perfect as the backup SF, anyway Spurs can get him?

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Battier would be perfect as the backup SF, anyway Spurs can get him?

They'd have to trade for him. I'm sure the Grizz would take Nazr for Battier.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 01:40 AM

but i wouldnt

rasho maybe

didnt battier totally scoff our argentina all star on a last second play :lol

Sense
07-15-2005, 01:40 AM

They do need another big man, since Swift is a free agent.

tophy7
07-15-2005, 01:42 AM
If they take Rasho for Battier I'd say do it, not sure about giving up Nazr though.

clubalien
07-15-2005, 01:44 AM
i always thought ron artest would be a good replacment for bowen

Sense
07-15-2005, 01:45 AM
i always thought ron artest would be a good replacment for bowen

Yeah, and AI is a good replacement for TP...
KG is also a good replacement for Tim.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 01:54 AM
if we did have artest we'd be better than showtime lakers

but it will never happen

Extra Stout
07-15-2005, 08:33 AM
That'll work. Battier could start from 2006 until Tim is old and creaky.

spurster
07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
The Spurs are in good, but not great, shape. Manu, Bruce, and Brent form a very good swingman rotation, with Devin (assuming he is resigned) around for additional defense. There aren't many more minutes especially if Brent consistently hits his 3-pointers this year.

Yes, it's a little small against Rashard and TMac, but it's not easy to exploit when TD is patrolling the paint.

leemajors
07-15-2005, 09:34 AM
the spurs beat the suns in the first two games by shooting lights out in the 4th.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 09:45 AM
The Spurs will need another wing player and I think they'll get one, if they don't re-sign Devin Brown. No question.

I'm not feelin' LJIII right now. They'll get another 3 man besides the normal rotation of Manu, Bruce and Brent on the wing...whether by trade or free agency.

Yeah, LJIII seems gone. They will have about $2.7 mil of the MLE left. Maybe they can pick up a young 3 using that.

That's probably not enough to land Glenn Robinson, unless they did a 3 year deal with a player option after the 2nd year. If he opted out after the 2nd year, then the Spurs would have his full Bird rights.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 09:48 AM
That'll work. Battier could start from 2006 until Tim is old and creaky.

Battier would be a great fit in the Spurs' system. From what I've seen of him in the NBA, he's a team player willing to do the dirty work while others get the spotlight. His skills are what you would want in a 3 man, he does a little of everything good (not great). He's a heady player on the court and he doesn't do anything stupid.

Now, Nazr for Battier...I'd think the Spurs could get something more for him. But Battier would lock down that 3 spot for the next 4 to 5 seasons.

Solid D
07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Shane Battier? You could not draw it up any better than that. Perfect guy but I can't imagine Jerry giving him up very easily, especially to the best team in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I would take pretty much any one of the Grizz SFs -- Posey, Battier, Miller. Really seems like Posey would be the one West would be willing to part with after the Warrick signing.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I would take pretty much any one of the Grizz SFs -- Posey, Battier, Miller. Really seems like Posey would be the one West would be willing to part with after the Warrick signing.

damn i wish we could get HAKIM!!!

but posey, isnt this guy a good scorer? he ruined us in one game last season i think

ALVAREZ6
07-15-2005, 12:48 PM

:lmao :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 12:59 PM
At least for next season, the Spurs do not need a true 3 on the bench. But it would be nice.

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm comfortable with the rotation as it is now, but the Spurs definately need someone to learn from Bruce.

hendrix
07-15-2005, 01:15 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/img/photo/08-04/08_NS_27OLYmHOOPS5.JPG
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sport/0408/28/SPORT-28s08-argentina-52.jpg
Other angles.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm comfortable with the rotation as it is now, but the Spurs definately need someone to learn from Bruce.

We don't have to assume that the Spurs must add a player with the defensive skill of BB at the 3.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Bruce is a pretty unique preimeter defender -- I don't expect one guy to replace what he does. I'd like to keep Brown around for the smaller covers and get someone tall and trainable for the taller covers.

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Not the defensive skills, but the longer the 3 of the future has to learn from Bruce the better off the team will be.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-15-2005, 01:54 PM
A good backup SF is not absolutely necessary, though it will mean long SFs will hurt us. It's a specialty position in the NBA, though, and only Seattle, among our toughest rivals, have anyone of caliber to hurt us badly there.

This team is remarkably deep and versatile and this is their only weak spot. But we have a platoon of competent and skilled big men and a core of dynamic and talented guards, plus a terrific perimeter defender. I don't see us fixing the problem of depth at the 3 simply because there are no players out there that could be had and that deserve playing time over any other player on the roster.

I don't see this as an alarming problem, however. Teams will have much harder times matching up with an increasingly powerful Spurs team on offense.

I disagree. It may be fine as long as Bruce is playing to spell him with one of our vets (and it mostly worked this past season), but what if Bowen wasn't able to play at all for a stretch next season? To me, having no backup 3 is not just a weak spot, but a disaster waiting. As for your statement about no other players out there deserving playing time, wouldn't Battier or Posey "deserve" more playing time at SF than Brent Barry?

strangeweather
07-15-2005, 01:56 PM

I haven't seen Miller play a lot, but my impression was that he was pretty much a pure shooter without much athleticism, who doesn't give you much else. Am I way off base?

ChumpDumper
07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Miller is the least likely for West to let go IMO. He's a decent athlete and good shooter -- his versatility is probably his strongest asset -- he has played point for them in a pinch with decent results. He was also their second leading scorer last season.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 02:04 PM
The Spurs have a number of options. They can deal for a 3 or they can sign one using what's left of the MLE. Perhaps the remainder of the MLE for one year would be good enough for Kukoc?

bigbendbruisebrother
07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
The Spurs have a number of options. They can deal for a 3 or they can sign one using what's left of the MLE. Perhaps the remainder of the MLE for one year would be good enough for Kukoc?

Kukoc has had a good career, but he's going to be 37 years old in September. If the Spurs can't acquire a longer term backup small forward via trade or FA, they might as well re-sign Glenn Robinson.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 02:34 PM
spurs need to find a hustler....a hustling hustler..
this offseason seems to be moving so slowwly

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Can Glenn Robinson be re-signed for $2.7 mil starting? I don't see it. Hence, Kukoc for 1 season. Then you can look at options via trade and next year in free agency when you will have your full MLE to use on a 3.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Can Glenn Robinson be re-signed for $2.7 mil starting? I don't see it. Hence, Kukoc for 1 season. Then you can look at options via trade and next year in free agency when you will have your full MLE to use on a 3.

what is the status on Grobb anyways

i havent heard a damn thing about him...hes not even on espns free agency page

if the man really liked the idea of being a champion and realizes how bad ass we are and realizes with his help we're more likely to repeat and WANTS to contribute....well those are a bunch of if's, but if so, then he'll resign for decent bucks

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Rodney White anyone?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Rodney White anyone?

Who would you rather have, Rodney White or James Jones?

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Who would you rather have, Rodney White or James Jones?

Probably Jones, but he's restricted and might be harder to get.

usckk
07-15-2005, 02:42 PM
In that case, you yall rather have Brown or Jones?

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Is RWhite unrestricted?

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Is RWhite unrestricted?

Yes, he's on the street. He was waived by the Warriors.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Awesome. $1.6 mil for a year or two might look pretty good to him right about now.

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 03:00 PM
hey, if we can keep Jack out of the stands and on the straight and narrow, white should be a piece of cake.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 03:01 PM
White played a pretty good half season until he was dealt to the Warriors.

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 03:05 PM
i bet he tries to go back to the Nugs for the lle or mle.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Spurs can offer him as much as $2.735 mil starting for multiple seasons (up to 5, if I recall correctly).

5ToolMan
07-15-2005, 03:16 PM

Pop's SG/SF rotation the entire year, up to Brown's late season injury was Manu/Bowen with Barry and Brown off the bench. Combined with Parker/Beno Pop played a 3 guard rotation often. And because Bowen spent more time guarding the stronger scoring threats that were loaded at the SG, Manu, Barry and Brown had many minutes guarding SF.

In the playoffs Manu and Barry picked up the minutes Brown gave up; the 3 guard rotation was used just as much, and successfull enough to bring the NBA Title to the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the Spurs don't really need a backup 3, so long as everybody stays healthy. Still, if there is a 3 man the Spurs can nab for minimal cost, they might as well do it.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2005, 03:27 PM
White has the scoring part down, if he buys into the "defend or sit" philosphy, bring him on.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Matt Barnes anyone?

ChumpDumper
07-15-2005, 03:41 PM
See? Were coming up with a ton of options that fit our salary limitations and playing needs.

It's not like the summer where we had no SF, Bruce was the only guy out there and we had zero cap room.

Good times indeed.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Theron Smith, anyone?

(Well we already know LJ wants him)

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Funny how we are back wringing our hands over how the Spurs can add a small forward...

:)

But it's a tad bit more tolerable scenario, I'll say.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Funny how we are back wringing our hands over how the Spurs can add a small forward...

:)

But it's a tad bit more tolerable scenario, I'll say.

yeah i'll have to agree on both parts

i just feel more comfortable knowing we have a forward riding that bench to step up if need be....you know it never hurts to have a good back up

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
What if the Spurs give Glenn Robinson a 2 year offer starting at $2.7 mil with a player option after the 1st year? If they did that, he could opt out and then the Spurs would have his Early Bird rights so they could give him a raise without using their MLE next summer.

Also, he'd only sign that deal if this summer's market proved to be shitty for him. So he'd have a full season to prove himself and improve his market value for the next offseason.

clubalien
07-15-2005, 04:29 PM
trade nazr + scola rights + devin S&T for ron artest

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Maybe I'm off, but at this point it seems like Big Dog's price is the MLE and under.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 04:30 PM
trade nazr + scola rights + devin S&T for ron artest

That's a gamble...I don't see the Spurs making.

strangeweather
07-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe I'm off, but at this point it seems like Big Dog's price is the MLE and under.

Judging from the total lack of interest in him we've seen so far, it might even be the LLE. Still, he may be looking for a situation where he has an easier shot at PT, regardless of what he signs for.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Judging from the total lack of interest in him we've seen so far, it might even be the LLE. Still, he may be looking for a situation where he has an easier shot at PT, regardless of what he signs for.

Yeah, he will need a place where he can show that his career isn't over. I think what transpired in Philly has hurt his rep around the league, fair or not.

BigDiggyD
07-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Getting Glen Robinson for the LLE or a portion of the MLE would be a coup. His numbers extrapolated per 48 minutes has him rated as the #2 most productive scorer per minute behind Tim Duncan. His efficiency rating is #4 behind Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker. He also showed more defense in his short stint here than I ever remember seeing in his whole career. I would say these numbered have a low weight due to the lack of playing time this year but they trend very well with his career numbers.

He was a model citizen with the Spurs, saying and doing all the right things.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Getting Glen Robinson for the LLE or a portion of the MLE would be a coup.

For some reason, I think that the Spurs will look around to see if any other SF's are available after teams do their amnesty cuts, etc. and then turn to Glenn (and any other of their own remaining FA's).

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Toni Kukoc is the answer. :lmao :lmao :lmao Right Marcus?

BigDiggyD
07-15-2005, 07:09 PM
For some reason, I think that the Spurs will look around to see if any other SF's are available after teams do their amnesty cuts, etc. and then turn to Glenn (and any other of their own remaining FA's).

I can buy that... if I were the GM I would look for a more long term solution at SF and only fall back on Big Dog as a means of pushing off the need for another year or two.