PDA

View Full Version : Another running shoe thread

mrsmaalox
06-12-2013, 09:14 AM
I searched a couple of times but I couldn't come up with one of the old threads specifically about problems with shoes. So at least I tried!

I forgot my shoes at my friend's house on the weekend, so Sunday afternoon I ran over to SportsAuthority to pick up a new pair, which I needed anyway, so my weekday routine wouldn't get messed up. Tried on about 6 and I ended up with a pair of Adidas Kanadia 5 trailrunners, which is my regular shoe btw. Monday morning I lace up and take off feeling quite gazelle-like. About a mile and a half into it I start feeling a "ridge" running down the length of the sole of my left foot. I can't think of what it could be (maybe my sock?) but I keep going, and my foot starts feeling numb. I stop to retie my shoe, as I seem to have a persistent problem with tying too tight and often have to stop for adjustments. I take off again and that ridge is gone but the numbness just gets worse and worse. By the time I finish it feels like I'm running on a stump! Okay so next day I'm out again, no ridge, but foot gets numb about 2 miles in. This morning, same thing! Do you all think it's a shoe problem or a foot problem? Has anyone experienced anything like this breaking in new shoes? I know I could figure it out by going out once in my old shoes to compare, but they are in a different city or I'd still be in them....

tlongII
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
It's the shoe. Shoulda bought Nikes.

mrsmaalox
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM

I can't wear Nike's, the toebox is too wide and my foot slides around. I've only used Adidas or New Balance.

Blake
06-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Since the problem started when you put on new shoes, seems to me the probability is extremely high that it's a shoe problem.

I've never been a fan of Adidas myself.

New Balance every time.

eyeson#5
06-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Brooks Running shoes are the best.

leemajors
06-12-2013, 10:17 AM

yeah if you wanna buy another pair 6 months later.

Blake
06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Take the shoes back and tell them they are defective, imo

phxspurfan
06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Going to Sports Authority to buy running shoes may have been a bad idea. They (and Big 5) usually get the lower end running shoes that have the brand but little else. The foams they use aren't top quality and everything else isn't made as well either (typically made in Vietnam or Malaysia or something). I know you spend a bit more doing this, but if you're a runner I'd suggest you go to a place like the New Balance store and try on a few pairs and maybe even have them look at your gait to find you the right shoe. I got some top of the line shoes from them for 100 bucks.

mrsmaalox
06-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Take the shoes back and tell them they are defective, imo
Yea, or maybe try another size. I've always been told that a running shoe should be a half size larger than the foot, but I can't do that cuz of my foot sliding around.

mrsmaalox
06-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Going to Sports Authority to buy running shoes may have been a bad idea. They (and Big 5) usually get the lower end running shoes that have the brand but little else. The foams they use aren't top quality and everything else isn't made as well either (typically made in Vietnam or Malaysia or something). I know you spend a bit more doing this, but if you're a runner I'd suggest you go to a place like the New Balance store and try on a few pairs and maybe even have them look at your gait to find you the right shoe. I got some top of the line shoes from them for 100 bucks.

So Adidas Kanadia at those stores are lower quality than the ones I order from Runner's World? Or do you mean they just don't carry Adidas top of the line trailrunner? I think the Supernova Riot is Adidas top of the line, but it's a bit heavy for me, specifically for very high mileage runners I think.

I've done the New Balance store and evaluation for crosstrainers, which I love, but their trail shoes didn't feel good to me.

phxspurfan
06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
So Adidas Kanadia at those stores are lower quality than the ones I order from Runner's World? Or do you mean they just don't carry Adidas top of the line trailrunner? I think the Supernova Riot is Adidas top of the line, but it's a bit heavy for me, specifically for very high mileage runners I think.

I've done the New Balance store and evaluation for crosstrainers, which I love, but their trail shoes didn't feel good to me.

I'm not sure if they are the newest ones or some lower end ones that may be flawed (all factories have lines that come out flawed, and these end up going to discount stores like Wal Mart, etc.). But I did also jsut read a review that said the Adidas Kanadia trends to be smaller, which may explain the numb feeling you got in your foot. They may have been too small for you:

http://mattgetsrunning.com/2012/02/23/review-run-adidas-kanadia-4-trail-shoes/

johnsmith
06-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Brooks Running shoes are the best.

Yup...I order them online and get two pair at a time...not the coolest looking shoes but awesome for running.

mrsmaalox
06-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Yup...I order them online and get two pair at a time...not the coolest looking shoes but awesome for running.

Trail or pavement? I don't do pavement.

I've tried them all on and Adidas are the ones that give me the security with the weight that feels best for me. This is my 3rd pair of Kanadia, I'm leaning towards it being a defective shoe.

johnsmith
06-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Trail or pavement? I don't do pavement.

I've tried them all on and Adidas are the ones that give me the security with the weight that feels best for me. This is my 3rd pair of Kanadia, I'm leaning towards it being a defective shoe.

Pavement...I like Adidas and new balance as well but brooks seem the best for me. I also don't run near as much as I used too, so maybe I'm behind on this.

tlongII
06-12-2013, 06:05 PM
I can't wear Nike's, the toebox is too wide and my foot slides around. I've only used Adidas or New Balance.

You should try more models. Different models have different lasts which will have different widths.

mrsmaalox
06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
My dad re-laced my shoes the way he does his and my run this morning was much better. Just some very slight numbness at the last quarter mile.

Spur-Addict
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Best running shoe I've ever had was the Nike Lunarlite Racer. Light, stable, yet it feels like you're running on soft fluffy cushions. My feet felt like I hardly did anything after running a few miles. They were perfect from the moment I put them on. I never had the experience you've had breaking them in.

http://m.vcst.net/wines/nike-lunar-racer-538937.jpg

Rogue
06-13-2013, 09:37 PM
NB running shoes are my favorites of all time. You can never find any other brand of shoes that comfort your feet more than a pair of NB shoes imho. Plus the ventilation of NB shoes are also the best of all, you can wear them the whole day playing basketball or running, and when you take them off at the end of day you can't find no unpleasant smell from it. NB shoes ain't designed to comfort the eyes of other persons, they're designed specifically for your feet and your own comfort

NB shoes give you a perfect buffer between your feet and the ground, making you feel as if you're driving a car no matter what ground you're running on. Plus, NB shoes are also more durable than other brands because their soles are made of the same material used in the tyres of most racing cars. The weightless material is also soft enough to absorb most energy when the shoes bump on the ground, like when you jump off the top of a car. The shoes will reduce the collision to an unnoticeable level, but will never reduce the joy and comfort in running.

Jt.ONE
06-13-2013, 11:51 PM
asics.

a bit pricey but they sure are comfy.