PDA

View Full Version : Game 4 is an Absolute Must Win

06-12-2013, 11:51 AM
The Spurs can't afford to trade games with the Heat because the Heat will win game 7 on their own court. History favors the home team in game 7's. There's no doubt in my mind that the Spurs need to win game 4. The series is prime for the taking and the Spurs won't get a better shot at seizing control.

- Lebron's confidence has been shattered but if the Spurs let him recover, they might not be able to push him back down. They need to stamp out Lebron now before it's too late.
- Game 4 will be at home. This is big. If the Spurs trade games by losing game 4 and winning game 5, Miami will still have the advantage because they'll bounce back in game 6 and game 7 will also be in Miami. The Spurs need to take control now while they're still at home.
- The Spurs' role players have their confidence at an all time high. The Spurs need to capitalize. We all know Neal and Green are prone to be streaky. The Spurs have to pad their lead in the series while Neal and Green are still hot.
- The Heat will adjust to cover the shooters better, leaving Parker/Manu/Duncan an opportunity to have a big game. The perimeter defenders won't be able to roam too far away from the shooters. If the big 3 can beat their man one on one, Miami's wheels will fall off. They won't know who to cover and the confusion should doom them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Another thread like this?

http://i.imgur.com/xxGws.jpg

SpurSpurSpurs
06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
No need for this kind of thread. ALL wins are important!

TJastal
06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
+1

Spurs need to do whatever they can to give the heat two more haymakers on their own home court. If they allow this wounded animal to recover and build momentum heading back to Miami they will most certainly have to not only beat a fired up heat team on their home court but also Stern's best handpicked screw crew.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Agree, but I'm tired of hearing the term "must-win" thrown about for every game.

People claimed Game 1 was a must-win.

People claimed Game 2 was a must-win.

People claimed Game 3 was a must-win.

Now people claim game 4 is a must-win.

This trite, cliche overusage really saps the term of its meaning.

Prime Time
06-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Game 1 is a must win because it decides who will take charge in a series
Game 2 is a must win because Heat could gain momentum heading for Game 3
Game 3 is a must win because Spurs can't afford to lose their home court
Game 4 is a must win for the same reason
Game 5 is a must win because Spurs would have to close it out/break the tie, winning/taking control of the series
Game 6 is a must win because it avoids Game 7, a game Spurs 'Have no shot at winning'
Game 7 is a must win because it's Game 7.

chrhawk
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
This just in.....

TheGreatYacht
06-12-2013, 12:09 PM
All depends on Parker's health and the refs that Stern assigns. OP has a valid point but lets just pray that Parker is ok and that he's ready to go for Game 4.

TJastal
06-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Game 5 is a must win because Spurs would have to close it out/break the tie, winning/taking control of the series
Game 6 is a must win because it avoids Game 7, a game Spurs 'Have no shot at winning'

:lol

06-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Agree, but I'm tired of hearing the term "must-win" thrown about for every game.

People claimed Game 1 was a must-win.

People claimed Game 2 was a must-win.

People claimed Game 3 was a must-win.

Now people claim game 4 is a must-win.

I've criticized others for using "must win" in the past. I only use it now because it's true. Game 4 is a battle for control. If the Spurs were the ones with home court advantage, this probably wouldn't the most pivotal game. They can't afford to trade games with the Heat. If the Spurs drop game 4, the Heat regain control. Even if the Spurs win game 5, the Heat will receive their post-loss bounce in game 6. Then it moves to game 7, where the Spurs will be at a huge disadvantage. Whoever wins game 4 will likely win the series.

MeloHype
06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Every game is a must win

ffadicted
06-12-2013, 12:20 PM
According to spurs fans, the team must go 16-0 in the post season otherwise it's all over

Seventyniner
06-12-2013, 12:26 PM

No kidding. The only must-win games are elimination games.

SupremeGuy
06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
According to spurs fans, the team must go 16-0 in the post season otherwise it's all overPretty much.

Spur|n|Austin
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
According to spurs fans, the team must go 16-0 in the post season otherwise it's all over

:lol I was waiting for someone to make this thread.

T Park
06-12-2013, 12:31 PM
If the spurs are winning at the half? The series is toast. They're already in fighting and tired. Lebron and others looked tired IMO.

06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
I've heard people say games 1-3 were must wins and I have rebuked them. All games are crucial but only a couple are considered "must wins."

Game 1, not really. Although it was the best chance for the Spurs to steal one, they went to Miami for a split. Losing game 1 wouldn't matter as long as they got a split the next game.
Game 2, nope. Spurs already got the split. Not much to take away from game 2. Just that the Heat won't roll over and die.
Game 3, more important but also not a must win. The Spurs get 2 more games at home.
Game 4, yes. By the pattern the games have been swinging, this is the battle for control and likely deciding game on which team will be in the driver's seat.
Games 5-7. Can't be determined, game 4 hasn't happened yet. Although needless to say, if the Spurs are one game from elimination, those games are must wins.

Gagnrath
06-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Very True We wouldn't want to have to play unnecessary games in the play-offs; extending series, and putting extra wear and tear on our players shortening their careers and risking their health. Its like you don't understand that the sooner they get past the success and to an off season of rest, before the grind of a long nba season they will have fresher legs than their opponents that dallied around with their opponents and lost games in the play offs. Mosses understood the importance of a short 4 game series, and also weary legs after wandering for 40 years. He just had problems with the 4, 4, 4 execution of the time, and it would now need to be fo, fo, fo, fo. You have to get rested for next year and start walk throughs to get player acclimated to the system. We have another 5 months for Baynes to figure out rotations before he can really play important play-off minutes instead of just clowning on Howard. There is also this McGrady fool who seems to think that not shooting is ok, and doesn't know his pots yet either, yet for some reason seems like he could develop into a capable nba scorer once he gets the system down.

Its almost like you want to see extra spurs games, and increase ticket sales and ad revenue, when instead we could be selling memorabilia. I think you are a plant for stern wanting more games on tv for the ratings and more butts in the seats for ticket sales. The spurs fans and staff might agree to an extra game in the series with the heat if when we go to Miami we have a game that counts for nothing and we can leave Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Green in San Antonio without negative repercussions. Its more important to get rested and learn the system though. Foolish wannabe spurs fan damn near a bandwagoner.

Budkin
06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
We just took game 3 after which when finals are tied 1-1 the winner wins 92% of the time. Winning these next two would be amazing but even if we lose Game 4 I think we take 5 and 6

JMGpp
06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Well 16-0 for the playoffs is key to keep the team rested for next season.

BatManu20
06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I REALLY don't want to go back to miami so yea it'd be amazing to win Game 4 and then close them out in 5, but I just don't see that happening unfortunately. Esp if Tony's hobbled. They're still a great team. They'll respond to this loss just like they have every other game. Lebron will be extremely aggressive and go off. It's not a must win, I hate the idea of going back to miami cause we lose a Game 6 there, it would be devastating.

:flag:

Keepin' it real
06-12-2013, 12:55 PM
The Spurs can't afford to trade games with the Heat because the Heat will win game 7 on their own court.

Before the series, I predicted the Spurs in 7, so I disagree with this statement. More importantly than my prediction, nothing would be more epic than watching the Spurs beat the Heat in Miami in Game 7 for the NBA championship.

But with that said, the numerology so far is working out as expected. The Spurs won their first four titles in 5 games, 6 games, 7 games, then 4 games. If the statistical pattern holds true, which they sometimes do, the Spurs -- having gone through the cycle -- will once again win the title in 5 games.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I've criticized others for using "must win" in the past. I only use it now because it's true. Game 4 is a battle for control. If the Spurs were the ones with home court advantage, this probably wouldn't the most pivotal game. They can't afford to trade games with the Heat. If the Spurs drop game 4, the Heat regain control. Even if the Spurs win game 5, the Heat will receive their post-loss bounce in game 6. Then it moves to game 7, where the Spurs will be at a huge disadvantage. Whoever wins game 4 will likely win the series.

I agree that Game 4 is critical. I was just expressing frustration about how many "Game 1/2/3 is a must-win!" threads we've had. It wasn't frustration directed at you or this thread in particular.

DesignatedT
06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
According to ST, every playoff game so far this season has been a must win.

ffadicted
06-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Very True We wouldn't want to have to play unnecessary games in the play-offs; extending series, and putting extra wear and tear on our players shortening their careers and risking their health. Its like you don't understand that the sooner they get past the success and to an off season of rest, before the grind of a long nba season they will have fresher legs than their opponents that dallied around with their opponents and lost games in the play offs. Mosses understood the importance of a short 4 game series, and also weary legs after wandering for 40 years. He just had problems with the 4, 4, 4 execution of the time, and it would now need to be fo, fo, fo, fo. You have to get rested for next year and start walk throughs to get player acclimated to the system. We have another 5 months for Baynes to figure out rotations before he can really play important play-off minutes instead of just clowning on Howard. There is also this McGrady fool who seems to think that not shooting is ok, and doesn't know his pots yet either, yet for some reason seems like he could develop into a capable nba scorer once he gets the system down.

Its almost like you want to see extra spurs games, and increase ticket sales and ad revenue, when instead we could be selling memorabilia. I think you are a plant for stern wanting more games on tv for the ratings and more butts in the seats for ticket sales. The spurs fans and staff might agree to an extra game in the series with the heat if when we go to Miami we have a game that counts for nothing and we can leave Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Green in San Antonio without negative repercussions. Its more important to get rested and learn the system though. Foolish wannabe spurs fan damn near a bandwagoner.

:lol 10/10

ironman2886
06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Every game is a must win. Its the Finals. The players should have that mentality, and I know Pop does. Miami wins if the Spurs help them out with turnovers. With the way the Spurs defense plays, and the ball movement(system), I am feeling very confident.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
But with that said, the numerology so far is working out as expected. The Spurs won their first four titles in 5 games, 6 games, 7 games, then 4 games. If the statistical pattern holds true, which they sometimes do, the Spurs -- having gone through the cycle -- will once again win the title in 5 games.

I hope you're kidding if you think that what happened in 1999 affects what happens in 2013.

boutons_deux
06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
10:30 PM Sunday, 5th trophy in hand!

MilesTeg
06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
No, it's not. Let's stop downplaying what "must-win" means. If we lose it's a tied series for god's sake...

However, I don't see Miami winning 3 straight if they lose the next one. It's a must-win for them.

rascal
06-12-2013, 01:45 PM
It is not a must win. Spurs will lose game 4 and still win the title.

Jenks
06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
This is a must win for Miami
It's not a must win for the Spurs

The idea that the Spurs can't win one in Miami is fucking retarded.

resistanze
06-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I've heard people say games 1-3 were must wins and I have rebuked them. All games are crucial but only a couple are considered "must wins."

Game 3, more important but also not a must win. The Spurs get 2 more games at home.
Game 4, yes. By the pattern the games have been swinging, this is the battle for control and likely deciding game on which team will be in the driver's seat.

But there's still game 5 at San Antonio...what applies for game 3 applies for game 4. People can make any game more important.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-12-2013, 02:03 PM
I think almost all of us can agree on the following two statements:

1. Game 4 is not, strictly speaking, a must-win.

2. But the Spurs players should still treat it as if it were a must-win.

Brunodf
06-12-2013, 02:03 PM
No shit

200 miles
06-12-2013, 02:04 PM
No, it's not. Let's stop downplaying what "must-win" means. If we lose it's a tied series for god's sake...

However, I don't see Miami winning 3 straight if they lose the next one. It's a must-win for them.

The Spurs are not winning this series in 7. With LeBron usually playing his best in game 7s and the refs' calls will most likely favor the home team, I just don't see the Spurs winning in Game 7.

The Heat haven't lost twice since January, so imo the best chance to beat them twice in a row would be when you have both games in SA, games 3 and 4, as opposed to game 5 in SA and game 6 in Miami. The Spurs could lose game 5, but not game 4.

You want the Spurs to step on the Heat's throats while they still can. Otherwise, LeBron's confidence will rapidly grow en route to his game 7.

GAME 4 IS A MUST WIN.

TIMMYtoZO
06-12-2013, 02:06 PM
:lol Spurs fans thinking their team is knocking Miami off their throne and ending their dynasty. The Heat will repeat even if this has to go 7 games. Miami is built for the long haul. This is just adversity they are facing. Miami can and will overcome this. This is what they do.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2013, 02:07 PM

I hope they win damn game 4.

Beaverfuzz
06-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Time for the bras to reappear!

iminol
06-12-2013, 02:38 PM
:lol Spurs fans thinking their team is knocking Miami off their throne and ending their dynasty

Dynasty?

Kid, take a pill.

Troll attack failed.

mudyez
06-13-2013, 06:14 AM
I'm fine with 2 out of the next 4.

But really: Today is not a must win, but we should at least win one of the next two. I just want to have a closeout game prior to them.

Legacy
06-13-2013, 06:22 AM
I hope they win damn game 4.

Christ, I effin' agree! YEESH. :bang

100%duncan
06-13-2013, 06:22 AM

:wow

Everybody lookie here! Rascal actually said Positive things!

Legacy
06-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Time for the bras to reappear!

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00VeKtMmUCCrcQ/Pretty-Bras-CS08-2-.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Ah3w2wBAaraZMM&tbnid=MR-HNMZCpyjWQM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.made-in-china.com%2Fshowroom%2Fsihola%2Fproduct-detailDeKxMdtbbrVn%2FChina-Pretty-Bras-CS08-2-.html&ei=fq25Uf2FL4Sk9AScjIDYCA&bvm=bv.47883778,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNFiUPPsY6STo64AoqXFGYZrQBKQjA&ust=1371209395974181)

Bartleby
06-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Miami is built for the long haul. with all the talk of fatigue, injuries, old age, and crap play from their bench, it sure doesn't look that way.

jalberto
06-13-2013, 08:03 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/2331/millss.jpg

41times
06-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Game 4 is not a must win for the Spurs
It might be a must win for the CHeat. If they lose tonight they don't make it back to Miami.
If the Spurs lose tonight with a wounded Parker it is not the end of the world.

You will see the same type of effort tonight from the CHeat as you saw in Game 2 so get ready.
Less than 10 turnovers. 40% + from 3's and the Spurs can win this game tonight.

200 miles
06-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Everybody is suddenly underestimating the Heat.

smh

Beaverfuzz
06-13-2013, 01:44 PM
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00VeKtMmUCCrcQ/Pretty-Bras-CS08-2-.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Ah3w2wBAaraZMM&tbnid=MR-HNMZCpyjWQM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.made-in-china.com%2Fshowroom%2Fsihola%2Fproduct-detailDeKxMdtbbrVn%2FChina-Pretty-Bras-CS08-2-.html&ei=fq25Uf2FL4Sk9AScjIDYCA&bvm=bv.47883778,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNFiUPPsY6STo64AoqXFGYZrQBKQjA&ust=1371209395974181)

lol, Made in China. Good one.

Budkin
06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
A win tonight and a title on Sunday would be the best Father's day present ever. Even better than 2003.

hater
06-13-2013, 02:24 PM
game 3 was a must win. game 4 not as much. it's close, but not an absolute must win like game 3 was.

look_at_g_shred
06-13-2013, 02:26 PM
game 3 was a must win. game 4 not as much. it's close, but not an absolute must win like game 3 was.
So would a win today essentially mean no game 6 hater?

hater
06-13-2013, 02:30 PM
So would a win today essentially mean no game 6 hater?

IMO a must win is a win required to avoid total or imminent defeat.

Game 3 was because of the momentum that the Heat were gaining and all the psychological aspects. Spurs would have had to not only win 4 and 5 but also 1 in Miami.

IMO game 4 or 5 could be given to the Heat and Spurs still go to miami in control of a 3-2 lead.

look_at_g_shred
06-13-2013, 02:38 PM
IMO a must win is a win required to avoid total or imminent defeat.

Game 3 was because of the momentum that the Heat were gaining and all the psychological aspects. Spurs would have had to not only win 4 and 5 but also 1 in Miami.

IMO game 4 or 5 could be given to the Heat and Spurs still go to miami in control of a 3-2 lead.

But the question was, if we win tonight, do you think there is a game 6?

hater
06-13-2013, 02:39 PM
But the question was, if we win tonight, do you think there is a game 6?

I hope not. But I think so. My prediction was Spurs in 7. Hopefully go back with 3-2 lead

yeah it would suck to go back to Miami but chances are, we will

Horry Hipcheck
06-13-2013, 02:46 PM
:lol Spurs fans thinking their team is knocking Miami off their throne and ending their dynasty. The Heat will repeat even if this has to go 7 games. Miami is built for the long haul. This is just adversity they are facing. Miami can and will overcome this. This is what they do.

This is what they did one time. Talking about teams built for the long haul to a forum of Spurs fans is a waste of your time.

silverblk mystix
06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Actually, this is not a must-win game...

It is a CANNOT LOSE game...

If the Spurs lose tonight Spurs fans will... jump off of cliffs, the sky will fall, the universe will cease to operate properly, babies that would have been conceived tonight and ended up as saviors of the planet -if the spurs had won - will NOT be conceived tonight - and the planet cannot ever be saved....

This is definitely a CANNOT LOSE - game.

szkorhetz
06-13-2013, 03:13 PM
TBH, this is a must-win. If we win it, Miami won't come back to the series and we can win it in 5. Going back to South Beach, with the Heat, who got their HCA back is the worst thing happen. WE won't win a game 7 in MIAMI, IMHO. We have to close it down as soon as possible and for that, this is a MUST WIN.

Xevious
06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm also tired of the use of "must win". It's the finals. Every game is a must win.

Homeland Security
06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
So are there non-must-win games in the NBA Finals, where teams can choose to coast?

weeks
06-13-2013, 04:58 PM
the officiating will make it clear very quickly which way the wind is blowing imo

Brazil
06-13-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree

and game 5 too

and if there is one game 6 too

and I get carried away a bit I know but I believe game 7 is also and Absolute Must Win: AMW like would say OP

BatManu20
06-13-2013, 05:17 PM

Everybody is suddenly underestimating the Heat.

smh