PDA

View Full Version : Splitter Must Go

lcroock
06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Regardless of the outcome in the next week, Splitter needs to go. He gets stripped or blocked down low way to often for a big man. We need to let him go and bring in AJefferson, PMilsap, or DWest. Add to this the fact that Splitter's rebounding is pretty pathetic. Signing Manu for no more than $6-$7M should allow us to do this, although re-signing Manu is also not 100%. Bringing in someone like JJ Reddick or OJ Mayo and Milsap/West could also be an option. Thoughts?

smaka
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
:lol OJ Mayo

TheChillFactor
CHRIST.

Gagnrath
West is considerably shorter and older, as well as slightly more expensive, Splitter doesn't rebound well but a future building block bigman doesn't come from free agency and this is why Jefferson is a bad option. Milsap is also far to small as well as no defensive presence. Manu is going to be cheaper than 7 million or he's gone, he knows off the court where he stands financially and physically as a player, and he realizes that he isn't worth that money on the free market and won't go elsewhere easily unless they give him an insane amount. The names you are considering are to expensive the spurs don't do names they do projects and drafts.

manufan10
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
We should probably wait until after the Finals are over to start talking about the offseason.

The Spurs are in the Finals in 2013, and people want to discuss offseason moves? SMH

Brunodf
1/10. Soft nigga still plays D.

dallasmaverickslose
You're an idiot.

200 miles
Maybe he was better as the backup center, sometimes. But the front office will have a hard time finding a 7-footer who can defend (in the post, perimeter and pick n rolls), pass well, score in the pick n roll, and at times having key blocks.

ironman2886
06-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Splitter will re-sign. He works well with the system, and plays excellent pick and roll offense and defense. Its all about picking the right players for the system. Spurs better not overpay Splitter though. Having said that, I wouldn't mind Al Jefferson.

eDizzle20
06-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Regardless of the outcome in the next week, Splitter needs to go. He gets stripped or blocked down low way to often for a big man. We need to let him go and bring in AJefferson, PMilsap, or DWest. Add to this the fact that Splitter's rebounding is pretty pathetic. Signing Manu for no more than $6-$7M should allow us to do this, although re-signing Manu is also not 100%. Bringing in someone like JJ Reddick or OJ Mayo and Milsap/West could also be an option. Thoughts?

Despite Splitter's shortcomings in regards to finishing ability and his hands he is the perfect fit in the Spurs system. He is an excellent defender both in the pick n roll and one on one. He is also sets great screens and rolls hard to the bucket. I like the thought of Jefferson on offense but he is slower than molasses on the defensive end. Outside of being a decent low post one on one defender the rest is not good.

TrainOfThought5
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I believe in PATFO to make a decision.

Budkin
06-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Splitter is a valuable asset. Big men are too rare. He'll improve no doubt. We gotta keep him.

dallasmaverickslose
06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
After seeing what we did to Al Jefferson against the Jazz in last year's playoffs I'd take Luke Walton over him.

td4mvp2k
06-12-2013, 02:39 PM
OP stfu

BatManu20
06-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Splitter's not worth $9-10 million a year that he'll likely get, but with such a shortage of Centers in the NBA today, he's going to get paid that regardless. He just needs to get stronger and stop being so soft. Rebounding certainly has to improve and finishing around the rim. He's thrown up a couple air abll hook shots against Miami so far this series that make me wonder why he's playing.

spurraider21
06-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Al Jefferson doesn't play defense. Splitter does. Nothing more infuriating than a center that can't play defense.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
We just need another slow big man who can't defend the pick and roll. That will take us to the next level.

Keepin' it real
Thoughts?

lcroock must go

tesseractive
Sons, let this be a lesson to you: don't start threads when you're on crack.

T Park
06-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Thoughts? Stop posting.

BOHOLANO#21
06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Icroock must go! Fuck ur self.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
is this a serious thread? im being punked

TJastal
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Despite Splitter's shortcomings in regards to finishing ability and his hands he is the perfect fit in the Spurs system. He is an excellent defender both in the pick n roll and one on one. He is also sets great screens and rolls hard to the bucket. I like the thought of Jefferson on offense but he is slower than molasses on the defensive end. Outside of being a decent low post one on one defender the rest is not good.

Al Jefferson is horrid on defense. The spurs defense would probably give up 3-5 more points a game with "Big Al". And I think I'd save the molasses reference for what he would do to the pass predicated spurs' offense. He'd bog the offense down to a crawl because all he would do is park his fat ass on the block and call for the ball.

Raven
06-12-2013, 02:51 PM
yeeeeeeeah No.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Short-term memory for some. It was Splitter PnR action and D that led to the two blowout wins against GS in games 5 and 6. It was Splitter's inside D and D on Gasol/Randolph that shutdown the Grizz offensively and it was Splitter altering the shot Conley one-on-one mind you that forced OT against the Grizz not including the block shots he had in games 3 & 4 in Memphis.

Splitter runs the PnR to perfection. Its just that Miami was packing the lane with Parker, Splitter and Tim on the Floor. Notice how when Pop added another shooter and didn't play Duncan or Splitter together in the 3rd and 4th quarter, the Heat were at a loss because their packing the lane strategy was render noneffective at that point.

Yuixafun
06-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Splitter is pretty good when he makes a quick move and dunks with 2 hands

PÒÓCH
06-12-2013, 02:58 PM
We're in the finals, we're up 2-1 against the greatest player that ever walked on water, and you think we need a trade? I hate using this overused phrase but SMH.

Go0n
06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Cliff diving without a cliff. This is new.

zrinkill
06-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Threads like this happen only because Lebron posterized him last game.

Splitter is a good player in this system ....... I just wish we had a big nasty to sub out with him sometimes.

Brunodf
06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
We just need another slow big man who can't defend the pick and roll. That will take us to the next level.
9/10. This guy is gold

PÒÓCH
06-12-2013, 03:29 PM
O.P. Please take a moment to read some of the previous threads and pay particular attention to the dates. There's been anything from trade Danny Green, Neal, even Parker's name has been thrown out there by overanxious fans. If there is anything you should learn from watching the Spurs over the years is that they don't give up on players too soon, they develop them and wean them along the system. You are seeing the fruition of their endeavors. Ease up on the trigger finger.

Jenks
06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm afraid Tiago is leaving, because people didn't realize how good Asik is and Houston threw all that money at him. The same could happen here.

It changes the complexion of the team but letting him walk and keeping Diaw while developing Baynes is an option. I'm a huge Tiago fan, but the Spurs have so much finesse, it would be interesting to see them lose some of it and put a monster in the middle. The way he manhandled Dwight in the first round was glorious. No hyperbole, he might be the strongest player in the NBA. It's a risk that might be worth taking, but only if someone tosses ridiculous money at Tiago.

TJastal
06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Threads like this happen only because Lebron posterized him last game.

Splitter is a good player in this system ....... I just wish we had a big nasty to sub out with him sometimes.

Had one in Ian Mahinmi. He'd have been perfect in that limited 5-10 minute role. Pop let him go.

Obstructed_View
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
lol troll

Baam
06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
The only way he stays is for the money he's making right now.

Baam
06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
O.P. Please take a moment to read some of the previous threads and pay particular attention to the dates. There's been anything from trade Danny Green, Neal, even Parker's name has been thrown out there by overanxious fans. If there is anything you should learn from watching the Spurs over the years is that they don't give up on players too soon, they develop them and wean them along the system. You are seeing the fruition of their endeavors. Ease up on the trigger finger.

You can't develop rebounding tbh. Also he's not a young prospect, the guy is pretty much in his prime right now.

PÒÓCH
06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
You can't develop rebounding tbh. Also he's not a young prospect, the guy is pretty much in his prime right now.

Pop utilizes players for their strenghts, His strength right now is his size and while he's not a young guy he's far from old. As far as his prime is concerned how do you know this? How are you to jugde that based on being a mere spectator? Let the experts do their job and trust that they have a method for evatuating talent. It's paying off big right now.

pgardn
06-12-2013, 05:37 PM
I think he complements Duncan very well. Splitter does a lot of moving off the ball that Duncan cannot on both sides of the ball. You just don't find guys this tall that have his mobility.

therealtruth
06-12-2013, 05:50 PM

Kawhi's rebounding ability makes up for that.

KaiRMD1
06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Tiago makes shit happen, not gonna happen.

Man In Black
06-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Tiago is affordable.

Quietly, San Antonio has managed its salary structure to potentially have more than $20 million in cap space this summer. In practice, much of that will go to re-signing free agents Manu Ginobili and Tiago Splitter, but Splitter's cap hold ($7.5 million) is reasonable enough that the Spurs could still clear about $10 million if Ginobili quickly agrees to a smaller new contract.

Baam
06-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Tiago makes shit happen, not gonna happen.

notsureifserious.jpg

Big Empty
06-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Tiago is affordable.

what if we forego resigning Gino and Tiago and go after Howard? Is that even possible?

200 miles
06-12-2013, 08:10 PM
what if we forego resigning Gino and Tiago and go after Howard? Is that even possible?

Dumping Manu and Splitter for Mr. All-Brawn-No-Brains? Interesting.

TheRemix
06-12-2013, 08:11 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sJJDxcXZbXA/UO2z-0H1guI/AAAAAAAAAC0/fD6Y26KnjOk/s1600/Facepalm.png

TheGoldStandard
06-12-2013, 08:16 PM
They'll throw some money at Tiago and Tiago is not stupid, he knows that a lot of teams will not put up with his style of offense for very long. If he goes to another team it'll be in the East but I see him as a Spur.

Baam
06-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I'd rather try to get T-Rob or move up in the draft with the capspace. Once Duncan retires Splitter becomes useless basically.

He seems like a great guy, I like the passing especially, I like the fit next to Duncan and all but this is about making the team better and someone like Neal had a better 3 years span than Splitter.

But it's pretty much a given they will have a conservative off season if we win the Finals, then again they may be figuring out that being overly conservative after a win never allowed them to repeat so they might be more aggressive than usual.

Tim_duncan21
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I think keeping Splitter is fine. Him pairing with Duncan has shown good results in most teams.

m33p0
06-12-2013, 10:17 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

jbspurs
06-13-2013, 12:48 AM
You should watch Spurs vs Grizz one more time. You'll see what he's capable doing on defensive end, He held his ground against two talented bigman. I agree with previous comment, keep Splitter just don't over pay him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-13-2013, 01:22 AM

Um, no. I agree that Splitter needs to build up his forearms in the off-season to get stronger with the ball (squeezing a tennis ball ought to do the trick), but his defence has been excellent and when he is on his also a very useful PNR player, especially with Manu and the bench. He is also an excellent passer. Personally, I think he's a superb complement to Duncan for the next two years as he finishes his career.

As for the guys you want to bring in: West would be great, but he has already stated that he'd like to stay with the Pacers; Millsap, who I really like, is not a rim protector, and while an excellent all-around offensive player, he's nowhere near the defender Splitter is; and Al Jefferson is a one trick pony (flip-hook from left block) with slow feet who can't play defence and will cost $15mil - no thanks.

I am hoping that we can re-sign Splitter for about 4 years $35mil, which would be a very fair salary for a player of his calibre.

dg7md
06-13-2013, 03:49 AM
I don't love Splitter, but I don't hate him either.

That being said, we could definitely improve at the position. He is definitely the most expendable person on our starting roster.

therealtruth
06-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Defensively not too many other bigs are going to give us what Splitter gives us. Offensive efficiency and good defense.

John B
06-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Splitter plays well in the Spurs system, just need to improve on finishing shots and maybe spending time with Chip to improve his outside shooting. We build and develop players so Al Jefferson is out. Besides Mr Baines is on the pipeline with brute force and outside shooting, just need to develop post moves. I expect to see more of him next season. And what ever happen to Richards? Spurs would probably draft a project big. But knowing Spurs FO, they would not bring in bigs for big money now especially since we've been successful lately.