PDA

View Full Version : Hoiberg has close call

sickdsm
07-14-2005, 10:52 PM
"Fred Hoiberg was face down on the floor, unconscious, the pool of blood near his head spreading ominously. One week removed from heart surgery at the Mayo Clinic, one day removed from the implantation of a permanent pacemaker, the Timberwolves reserve shooting guard had gasped and blacked out after climbing stairs in his first few hours back at home. His wife, Carol, in the kitchen, heard Hoiberg fall and rushed to him, punching in 911 along the way. "It was probably as scary a moment as I've had in my life," Hoiberg said Wednesday, meeting with reporters for the first time since the surgery. "And I'm sure it was as scary a moment as my wife has had in her life. She said my eyes had rolled back in my head."

"Hoiberg talked to the sports reporters against a Wolves backdrop, a few yards from his team's locker room, as the Lynx faced the Detroit Shock in a WNBA game on the Target Center court. He has one year left on a contract that will pay him $1.7 million this season, active or not. His surgeons, Dr. Hartzell Schaff and Dr. Rakesh Suri, even released a statement Wednesday that said: "All tests indicate that his heart is functioning normally and that he will be able to return to training and playing basketball in the future."

"Now, he (Hoiberg) has been instructed to lift nothing heavier than five pounds (a gallon of milk weighs eight). A trip to the mailbox and back was a big deal Tuesday. He has been warned about likely bouts with depression and extreme emotions, apparently common in heart patients. "I look in the mirror, I'm losing my hair," Hoiberg said. "I'm as pale as I've ever been -- which is saying something ... But we'll get through it." Minneapolis Star Tribune

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Damn. :(

Quick recovery, Mr. Mayor.

FromWayDowntown
07-14-2005, 11:12 PM
That's a really bad break for the Mayor. I hope he recovers quickly and can lead a normal life. Basketball would be gravy -- I'd love to see him back on the floor and will root for him when he makes it back.

ShoogarBear
07-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Wow. I can't believe that they were planning to give him clearance to play with a pacemaker.

Sense
07-15-2005, 04:08 AM
Wow. I can't believe that they were planning to give him clearance to play with a pacemaker.

He really isn't much of a contact player...

He always seems to be free..

He's the best three point percentage shooter.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
damn that really sucks man, hope he pulls through alright

alamo50
07-16-2005, 03:04 AM
Class act by the T'Wolves for supporting him in every which way and letting The Mayor know there will always be a place for him within the organisation on court as well as off court.

Dre_7
07-16-2005, 04:45 AM
Thats too bad. :(

Hope he is able to get through this fast and live a normal life.

Karl Mundt
07-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Are you sure Garnett wasn't around when it happened?