PDA

View Full Version : NBA: 2011 Mavs vs 2013 Spurs

Lincoln
06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Who you got in this matchup of NBA Champs? Similar in many ways tbh, both have deep benches, strong perimeter defenders and great shooters.

irishock
06-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Spurs wouldn't have an answer for Dirk. Duncan would be matched up with Chandler down low so they're going to have to play him small with Kawhi or Diaw.

Jodelo
06-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Dirk was unstoppable, like the whole Mavs team.

Mavs in 5 or 6.

Rogue
06-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Spurs would have no answer to dirk and our role players were also capable of ripping apart the opposing team. TC would protect the 3-sec zone well and would also provide a lot in perimeter defense, ergo the spurs wouldn't have any superiority in the paint with their bigs either being undersized (Blair, Diaw) or soft as shit (splitter, bonner). Pop is their biggest advantage over miami in this series, but the Mavs would pretty much cancel if off with Carlisle being our coach

Bill_Brasky
06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Leonard would shut Dirk down :lobt:

jimbo
06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Dirk was unstoppable, like the whole Mavs team.

Mavs in 5 or 6.

Dirk was only unstoppable in the 4th in the finals tbh. Even Jet had to bail ya'll out.

But Mavs have the matchup advantage anyway

Jodelo
06-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Dirk was only unstoppable in the 4th in the finals tbh. Even Jet had to bail ya'll out.

But Mavs have the matchup advantage anyway

So, he did not shit on the Lakers/Thunder e.g.?

jimbo
06-13-2013, 09:29 PM
So, he did not shit on the Lakers/Thunder e.g.?

He didn't shit on the best in the East for 3 quarters

irishock
06-13-2013, 09:30 PM

he was too banged up to give a shit during the first 3 quarters. The Mavs gameplan was to get as much production from their role players as possible during the first 3, and then close it out with Dirk.

Jodelo
06-13-2013, 09:31 PM

His whole run was one for the ages. Finals were good too, not as good as the rounds before but still...

Rogue
06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
No one will close us out, EVER!!! :cry

Jacob1983
06-13-2013, 11:38 PM
2011 Mavs in a landslide.

irishock
06-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Hero ball Parker would be shut down by carlisle's system
Green and Neal would be neutralized by Terry and Barea
Gin:lolbili

DMC
06-13-2013, 11:48 PM
No one was stopping the Mavs that year.

And1Mak
06-13-2013, 11:48 PM
2011 Mavs.

Jacob1983
06-13-2013, 11:54 PM
The main reason why the 2011 Mavs would beat this year's Spurs is because that Mavs team was one of the hungriest teams in NBA history. They had numerous players that had either choked or came up short in the playoffs/finals. Dirk wanted a ring badly and did not let anyone stop him. The Mavs wanted it more than the Heat in 2011. You can say that both teams wanted it but the Mavs played harder and executed their plays perfectly. That's what you have to do to win a championship.

Phillip
06-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Mavs in 5

Rogue
06-14-2013, 12:52 AM
The main reason why the 2011 Mavs would beat this year's Spurs is because that Mavs team was one of the hungriest teams in NBA history. They had numerous players that had either choked or came up short in the playoffs/finals. Dirk wanted a ring badly and did not let anyone stop him. The Mavs wanted it more than the Heat in 2011. You can say that both teams wanted it but the Mavs played harder and executed their plays perfectly. That's what you have to do to win a championship.
This.

It seemed to me like they were fighting for life in that 2011 series. Their squad might not be as strong as Miami on paper (with Butler out for season, to make things worse) but their mental attributes pretty much made up for that. They have bigger hunger for the champoinship, they played harder and smarter than Miami and it finally delivered. I was moved to tears the moment the ref blew the final whistle in game 6, tbh. :cry

JohnnyMax
06-14-2013, 01:37 AM
2010 Dallas got swept by San Antonio and it was same team. It was the year they made trade for Chandler, Butler, Stevenson and Haywood.

Spurs always seem to have a mental advantage over Dallas and Phoenix.

TheRealCB
06-14-2013, 01:45 AM
2010 Dallas got swept by San Antonio and it was same team. It was the year they made trade for Chandler, Butler, Stevenson and Haywood.

Spurs always seem to have a mental advantage over Dallas and Phoenix.

Chandler wasn't in the 2010 team,and they didn't get swept.

FkLA
06-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Dallas is overrated as hell. They didnt truly face The King since he choked, OKC was barely going through puberty, Lakers were in their elderly stage, and Roy was done.

Spurs in 6.

Jacob1983
06-14-2013, 01:49 AM
The Spurs have always had the edge? Who won the second round series in 2006?

FkLA
06-14-2013, 01:56 AM
Who has 4 Larry Obrian trophies ?

JingleJangleJingle
06-14-2013, 01:57 AM
the Spurs in 6...they would destroy Carlislie zone defense

SpurSpurSpurs
06-14-2013, 02:02 AM
The Spurs have always had the edge? Who won the second round series in 2006?

Did you win it all that year?

Spurs :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: wants to say hi to Mavs :lobt2:

Durant82
06-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Who has 4 Larry Obrian trophies ?
lol

Leon Black
06-14-2013, 02:15 AM
2011 Mavs.

You still like sucking dick mah dude?

Leon Black
06-14-2013, 02:16 AM
What's the point if this thread again??? The spurs aren't/ nor are they gonna be champs anytime soon

JohnnyMax
06-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Chandler wasn't in the 2010 team,and they didn't get swept.

My bad. They got beat 4-2 but were down 3-1 which is why I thought they got swept.

Durant82
06-14-2013, 03:02 AM
My bad. They got beat 4-2 but were down 3-1 which is why I thought they got swept.
That still doesn't make any sense you stupid fuck.

SupremeGuy
06-14-2013, 04:30 AM
LMAO mavs win one 'chip and now they think they're the best....

Ask this question again in a week.

Legacy
06-14-2013, 04:41 AM
LMAO mavs win one 'chip and now they think they're the best....

Ask this question again in a week.

Don't worry, they'll probably bring it up again before/after the next game whether The Spurs win or lose. :lol

Mavs fans are pretty much 50/50 for The Spurs just like Laker fans, hehe. :spin

dg7md
06-14-2013, 05:14 AM
The 2011 Mavs also didn't face the 2013 Heat, which are much deadlier. It's hard to say who would come out on top between Mavs/Spurs under these circumstances.

I don't know who would win tbh

100%duncan
06-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Whoever has homecourt adv wins.

boga
06-14-2013, 08:40 AM
2011 mavs was a fairytale. spurs is a dynasty.

spurs in 6

BUMP
06-14-2013, 10:14 AM
have the 2013 Spurs won yet?

spurraider21
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Dirk shot 41.6% in the 2011 finals tbh.

unstoppable :lmao

western conference playoff run was a different story though

Phillip
06-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Dirk shot 41.6% in the 2011 finals tbh.

unstoppable :lmao

western conference playoff run was a different story though

Considering how much defensive attention Dirk was getting by Miami, he was doing exactly what he needed to do. Continue being aggressive to keep absorbing the defensive pressure, which would open things up for other scorers like Terry, Barea, and Marion. As the game wore on, Miami would have to make adjustments and put more pressure on the rest of the team, opening things up for Dirk by the 4th, where he still dominated. His 4th quarter performances were still godly in the Finals, despite not shooting a high percentage in general for the series. You will not find a single (realistic) Miami Heat fan that will say that Dirk was anything less than unstoppable in the Finals. He made them shit bricks left and right, despite his percentage.

spurraider21
06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Considering how much defensive attention Dirk was getting by Miami, he was doing exactly what he needed to do. Continue being aggressive to keep absorbing the defensive pressure, which would open things up for other scorers like Terry, Barea, and Marion. As the game wore on, Miami would have to make adjustments and put more pressure on the rest of the team, opening things up for Dirk by the 4th, where he still dominated. His 4th quarter performances were still godly in the Finals, despite not shooting a high percentage in general for the series. You will not find a single (realistic) Miami Heat fan that will say that Dirk was anything less than unstoppable in the Finals. He made them shit bricks left and right, despite his percentage.

he went kirby in the finals tbh

Jacob1983
06-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Dirk was Kirby in the 2011 Finals? You shitting me? He basically won games 2 and 4 for the Mavs in that Finals. He also had a huge part in the game 5 victory. You guys are just haters and jealous that your team hasn't eliminated the Heat in the Finals. My Mavs are the only team in NBA history that can say that.

FkLA
06-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Is it even possible to be unstoppable and shoot 41% at the same time? Second lowest FG% by a FMVP ever, ahead of only Bean Bryant.

Brazil
06-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Spurs is 6

HI-FI
06-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Heat 2013 are better than 2011 Heat. Mavs were right combination of guys while the Heat had just come together and struggling to figure roles out. 2013 Spurs definitely got a tough battle, especially with Ginobili struggling so mightily. Still, I ain't giving up on the Spurs.

FkLA
06-14-2013, 05:17 PM
2011 Heat had Joel Anthony and the corpse of Mike Bibby playing meaningful minutes in the Finals. If Im not mistaken Miller and Haslem were hobbled and fresh off some injuries as well. And obviously as Ive said The Kings choke helped the Mavs alot as well. Mavs caught a shit load of breaks that year, werent really dominant...similar to this years Spurs imo. If the Spurs pull it off you wont hear me call my 2013 Espurs one of the best title teams ever like mav homers do thats for sure. :lol

:cry But the Mavs would not be denied :cry
:cry Dirk and his 41% FG% were unstoppable :cry

Phillip
06-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Mavs caught a shit load of breaks that year, werent really dominant...similar to this years Spurs imo.

Is this a joke?

They lost their second best scorer for 2/3 of the season and the entire playoffs, lost Dirk and Chandler both for an extended period of time, and had chemistry issues trying to incorporate Roddy into the starting lineup, when they should have just let Stevenson continue starting as he was doing a great job in his role. IIRC they were on pace to win around 65+ games before all the injuries hit. They still won 57 games despite their challenges.

lol shitload of breaks

Most people don't say that the 2011 Mavs were one of the greatest champions ever. Most people say that it was one of the more impressive runs you will see, considering how poorly they finished the regular season, and were widely considered underdogs in basically every series they played in, played very tough competition, but persevered through it all and did so in a pretty dominant manner.

Rogue
06-14-2013, 08:41 PM
I would be a GNSF rather than a GNMF if i say the Mavs won the 11' title without a bit of luck. We were the underdogs against Lakers and OKC, and of course against the Heat as well. We were underdogs through the whole process which's similar to the spurs of this year. No one fancied our chances and there were even some shitheads predicting we would get defeated in the first round by the blazers :lmao

The lakers were still the team to beat in the west back then imho, and the mavs 11' path was much tougher than what the spurs got through this year. We took on the lakers who were fully healthy and fit, and then the Thunder who were a rising power with Harden still onboard, the team that facefucked the spurs in the WCF a year later.

BUMP
06-14-2013, 10:23 PM
2011 Heat also had a much better version of Wade than this year

Mavs caught a shit load of breaks that year,

Not a Mavs homer, but I don't see how this even makes sense. They played the defending champion Lakers, Thunder, and the Heat, all three teams were healthy....were are these breaks you speak of?

Spurs da champs
06-14-2013, 11:04 PM

Not a Mavs homer, but I don't see how this even makes sense. They played the defending champion Lakers, Thunder, and the Heat, all three teams were healthy....were are these breaks you speak of?
Not to mention the collapse against Portland in game 4 reminiscent of the 2006 finals.

I'm a true Spurs fan, not one of those idiots who in 2011 were all hoping the Mavs won a championship simply for Dirk's sake, but I'd admit those Mavericks would beat the Spurs good. Dirk was too good & Chandler would neutralize this old Timmy (who simply doesn't want it as badly as those years Mavericks) & that zone that shut the Heat down would do much the same to these Spurs.

TIMMYtoZO
06-15-2013, 01:13 AM
The 2011 Mavs had the perfect team to beat Miami. They easily would have been back in the Finals last season and could very well had fucked it up again for Miami had they kept their core together. The 2013 Spurs team would compete but would go down in 5-6 games. Tyson Chandler was such a difference maker for that team. Of course playoff Dirk would also be a problem for the Spurs. That team also had multiple guys who could beat you. That Dallas team was really fucking good.

Durant82
06-15-2013, 01:20 AM

Those breaks are on the sidelines watching Boris Diaw beating David Lee's ass at one on one.

Durant82
06-15-2013, 01:23 AM
2011 Heat had Joel Anthony and the corpse of Mike Bibby playing meaningful minutes in the Finals. If Im not mistaken Miller and Haslem were hobbled and fresh off some injuries as well. And obviously as Ive said The Kings choke helped the Mavs alot as well. Mavs caught a shit load of breaks that year, werent really dominant...similar to this years Spurs imo. If the Spurs pull it off you wont hear me call my 2013 Espurs one of the best title teams ever like mav homers do thats for sure. :lol

:cry But the Mavs would not be denied :cry
:cry Dirk and his 41% FG% were unstoppable :cry

:lmao

:cry when LeBron sucks against Dallas it's because he's choking, when he sucks against San Antonio it's because of a perfectly executed gameplan that was constructed by a genius :cry

Jacob1983
06-15-2013, 01:53 AM
This Spurs team has been inconsistent as Hell in the Finals. That 2011 Mavs was consistently clutch and consistently doing the right things in pretty much every category. I can't say that about this year's Spurs team. Manu has disappeared. Parker and Duncan have been extremely inconsistent. Dirk was a beast in the 2011 playoffs and was great in the clutch in the Finals. His shooting percentage does not do him justice.

Sean Cagney
06-15-2013, 02:10 AM
2005 Spurs vs the 2011 Mavs......... Who cares! Just enjoy your title! Why need to compare all the time shit we will never know?

BTW 99 SPURS would beat the living shit outta the Spurs this year or the Heat this year, period end of Story and I know this. :hat

FkLA
06-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Is this a joke?

They lost their second best scorer for 2/3 of the season and the entire playoffs, lost Dirk and Chandler both for an extended period of time, and had chemistry issues trying to incorporate Roddy into the starting lineup, when they should have just let Stevenson continue starting as he was doing a great job in his role. IIRC they were on pace to win around 65+ games before all the injuries hit. They still won 57 games despite their challenges.

lol shitload of breaks

Most people don't say that the 2011 Mavs were one of the greatest champions ever. Most people say that it was one of the more impressive runs you will see, considering how poorly they finished the regular season, and were widely considered underdogs in basically every series they played in, played very tough competition, but persevered through it all and did so in a pretty dominant manner.

:lol Shut the fuck up, homer. You know as well as I do that if Butler didnt get injured Dallas wouldnt have won shit. As DoK so eloquently put it, if Tuff Juice was out there doing jab steps for 15 seconds before putting up a long, contested two it wouldve bogged down the ball movement. The shooters wouldnt have gotten the shots they got, Marion wouldnt have gotten his touches in the post, and the Puerto Rican MJ wouldnt have gotten a chance to shine.

Unexpected does not equal impressive btw.

The Kings choke is the most important. After that the Thunder were barely hitting puberty (if Im not mistaken they were a 4th seed that won their first playoff series' that year one of which came against the 8th seeded Grizz), and the Heatles had Joel Anthony and Bibby playing meaningful Finals minutes. They didnt catch breaks in the sense that teams were injured, but they definitely caught the Heatles and Thunder before they reached the level they are at today...and in the Lakers case on the level they were at before they were running on fumes after making 3 consecutive trips to the Finals.

:lmao

:cry when LeBron sucks against Dallas it's because he's choking, when he sucks against San Antonio it's because of a perfectly executed gameplan that was constructed by a genius :cry

Link where I said The King was struggling because of the Spurs perfectly executed gameplan?

Game 4 is the only game where The King played up to his potential and unsurprisingly the Heatles won. Nobody can stop The King when he doesnt play like a pussy and choke, and that includes my Espurs. The 2011 Mavs are no exception.

DAF86
06-15-2013, 02:48 AM

Well, just to name one. The best player of the number one team of the conference (and might add, the team that had knocked the Mavs off the playoffs the previous year) got injured one game before the playoffs and had to play with a broken elbow the entire playoffs.

BUMP
06-15-2013, 11:48 AM
The Kings choke is the most important. After that the Thunder were barely hitting puberty (if Im not mistaken they were a 4th seed that won their first playoff series' that year one of which came against the 8th seeded Grizz), and the Heatles had Joel Anthony and Bibby playing meaningful Finals minutes. They didnt catch breaks in the sense that teams were injured, but they definitely caught the Heatles and Thunder before they reached the level they are at today...and in the Lakers case on the level they were at before they were running on fumes after making 3 consecutive trips to the Finals.

a lot of revisionist history in here imho. In hindsight, it's cool to say the Lakers were running on fumes, Thunder were barely hitting their puberty but the Lakers were widely favored to beat the Mavs and the Thunder series was about 50/50.

And yes, the Heat had a shittier supporting cast than this year's Heat, but they also had a much better Wade than this year's team.

We can go round and round on this tbh imho. I think you can say any championship team in history caught some sort of 'break' if you wanna twist it that way.
(07 Spurs didn't face Dallas, Bulls never faced Olajuwon, Rockets didn't face Jordan etc) but the point is that the 11 Mavs didn't catch any more breaks than any other championship team

Amuseddaysleeper
06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Spurs in 6

Bill_Brasky
06-15-2013, 11:55 AM
This Spurs team has been inconsistent as Hell in the Finals. That 2011 Mavs was consistently clutch and consistently doing the right things in pretty much every category. I can't say that about this year's Spurs team. Manu has disappeared. Parker and Duncan have been extremely inconsistent. Dirk was a beast in the 2011 playoffs and was great in the clutch in the Finals. His shooting percentage does not do him justice.
The Spurs right now are 14-4 this postseason, the Mavs on their run were 16-5, pretty similar.

FkLA
06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
a lot of revisionist history in here imho. In hindsight, it's cool to say the Lakers were running on fumes, Thunder were barely hitting their puberty but the Lakers were widely favored to beat the Mavs and the Thunder series was about 50/50.

And yes, the Heat had a shittier supporting cast than this year's Heat, but they also had a much better Wade than this year's team.

We can go round and round on this tbh imho. I think you can say any championship team in history caught some sort of 'break' if you wanna twist it that way.
(07 Spurs didn't face Dallas, Bulls never faced Olajuwon, Rockets didn't face Jordan etc) but the point is that the 11 Mavs didn't catch any more breaks than any other championship team

How is that revisionist history? Its actually more dishonest to say 'they beat the Heat and Thunder' while acting like those teams were as good as they are today imo. The Lakers looked shaky all season against elite teams that year IIRC, the writing was on the wall for them. Im not saying the Mavs were some lower level champions though, theyre good champs. I just dont agree that theyre one of the best ever and that they 'just would not be denied that year'. Like I told stretch, just because it was unexpected doesnt mean theyre a dominant or impressive team.

scroteface
06-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Dammit what the fuck beeaner

BUMP
06-15-2013, 05:18 PM
How is that revisionist history?

I already explained it tbh. you can't sit here and act like everybody wasn't picking the two time defending champion Lakers (who were 20-6 going into the playoffs) to beat Dallas in the 2nd round. That's why it's revisionist history to say "Well obviously they weren't the same team.

Its actually more dishonest to say 'they beat the Heat and Thunder' while acting like those teams were as good as they are today imo. The Lakers looked shaky all season against elite teams that year IIRC, the writing was on the wall for them. Im not saying the Mavs were some lower level champions though, theyre good champs. I just dont agree that theyre one of the best ever and that they 'just would not be denied that year'. Like I told stretch, just because it was unexpected doesnt mean theyre a dominant or impressive team.

I think it's funny how they beat the defending champs, yet they're 'running on fumes' and then beat the two teams who would meet in the Finals the next year when they're just 'not as good'. So Dallas beat the current champs, and then the two teams who were pretty much next in line yet it somehow magically fell into place that the three teams were either 'too old' or 'not experienced enough yet'. How convenient :lol

jag
06-15-2013, 05:18 PM
That still doesn't make any sense you stupid fuck.

:lol

Samuel Eto'o
06-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, just to name one. The best player of the number one team of the conference (and might add, the team that had knocked the Mavs off the playoffs the previous year) got injured one game before the playoffs and had to play with a broken elbow the entire playoffs.

OH MY GOD GUYS HE WAS JUS TROLLIN US THE WHOLE TIME

DAF86
06-15-2013, 05:50 PM
OH MY GOD GUYS HE WAS JUS TROLLIN US THE WHOLE TIME

Are you still alive?

Durant82
06-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I just dont agree that theyre one of the best ever and that they 'just would not be denied that year'.

WHO THE FUCK SAYS THIS?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????

name me anybody on this forum who says the 2011 Mavs are one of the greatest teams of all time. Nobody fucking says that you dipshit, your hatred has mixed with your jacking off to shemale porn, creating an alternate universe in your own mind where people say that.

What people say is that Dallas' 2011 playoff run is one of the most impressive playoff runs. Which it is. To beat the teams they beat, the way they beat them, was incredibly impressive. It doesn't mean that the 2011 Mavs are a top 10 team of all time, not even top 20. It just means that they had a difficult playoff run and still managed to go all the way.

Stop with the fucking strawmans and dishonest fake arguments.

Killakobe81
06-16-2013, 10:24 AM

That is exactly why you need to watch the games.

Lincoln
06-16-2013, 05:16 PM
WHO THE FUCK SAYS THIS?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????

name me anybody on this forum who says the 2011 Mavs are one of the greatest teams of all time. Nobody fucking says that you dipshit, your hatred has mixed with your jacking off to shemale porn, creating an alternate universe in your own mind where people say that.

What people say is that Dallas' 2011 playoff run is one of the most impressive playoff runs. Which it is. To beat the teams they beat, the way they beat them, was incredibly impressive. It doesn't mean that the 2011 Mavs are a top 10 team of all time, not even top 20. It just means that they had a difficult playoff run and still managed to go all the way.

Durant goin HAM

Amuseddaysleeper
06-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Also 2013 Heat >>> 2011 version

2011 had no bench and no chemistry.

FkLA
06-17-2013, 01:15 AM
I already explained it tbh. you can't sit here and act like everybody wasn't picking the two time defending champion Lakers (who were 20-6 going into the playoffs) to beat Dallas in the 2nd round. That's why it's revisionist history to say "Well obviously they weren't the same team.

I think it's funny how they beat the defending champs, yet they're 'running on fumes' and then beat the two teams who would meet in the Finals the next year when they're just 'not as good'. So Dallas beat the current champs, and then the two teams who were pretty much next in line yet it somehow magically fell into place that the three teams were either 'too old' or 'not experienced enough yet'. How convenient :lol

That doesnt make any sense imo. Is anything of what Im saying not true?. The Heatles were worse than they are today as were the Thunder. The Heatles filled out their roster with key, cheap pieces nicely and the Thunders Big 3+Ibaka made some big strides since then. They did catch these teams while they were going through puberty, dont see how thats just being 'convenient'.

Most mav homers on here place the Mavs really high up for best champs since 2000. Im sure you can find the thread if you look for it tbh.

If you wanna say they had an impressive run in the sense that that it was surprising because they were underdogs I agree. They werent an impressive, dominant team though. Not weak either just not great imo.

Sportstudi
06-17-2013, 04:27 AM

Here have the media picks of that Mavs-Lakers series in 2011

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3908/roud2predictions.jpg

Durant82
06-17-2013, 04:40 AM
I just dont agree that theyre one of the best ever

Most mav homers on here place the Mavs really high up for best champs since 2000.

lol moving the goalposts

FkLA
06-17-2013, 04:52 AM
Ok, I guess I exaggerated with that. The point remains that they are really overrated by mavfan.

The Reckoning
06-17-2013, 05:35 AM
damn where has mavfan gone besides those who are banned?

BUMP
06-17-2013, 06:53 AM
That doesnt make any sense imo. Is anything of what Im saying not true?. The Heatles were worse than they are today as were the Thunder. The Heatles filled out their roster with key, cheap pieces nicely and the Thunders Big 3+Ibaka made some big strides since then. They did catch these teams while they were going through puberty, dont see how thats just being 'convenient'.

:lol What you're saying is purely subjective. Is there any evidence that the Thunder were any worse than they were a year later? They pretty much had the same team. tbh if you watched any of the games you'd know that Dirk going God-mode in game 1/game 4 was a pretty big reason why they won the series. It's not like the Thunder choked it away.

I do agree that the 2011 Heat are worse than 2013, but they were still a damn good team that beats any other WCF team that year

Here have the media picks of that Mavs-Lakers series in 2011

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3908/roud2predictions.jpg

rofl pretty much puts an end to det debate

midnightpulp
06-17-2013, 07:12 AM

Surprised FKLA took that line since it's the same shit Lakers fans have used to discredit the Spurs beating them in '03.

"Shaq and Kobe were feuding! And the Lakers were running on fumes from their 3 peat!"

Never mind the fact most "experts" picked the Lakers to win the series and that the Lakers were an Horry 3 away from likely winning that series. It's not like the Spurs rolled over a lethargic Lakers team that had no fight in them.

FkLA
06-17-2013, 03:44 PM
:lol What you're saying is purely subjective. Is there any evidence that the Thunder were any worse than they were a year later? They pretty much had the same team. tbh if you watched any of the games you'd know that Dirk going God-mode in game 1/game 4 was a pretty big reason why they won the series. It's not like the Thunder choked it away.

I do agree that the 2011 Heat are worse than 2013, but they were still a damn good team that beats any other WCF team that year

The Heatles were still a damn good team just not as good as this years, I agree.

How is the Thunder take subjective? Harden was a promising player but he never put it together consistently until 2012. Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka made some strides as well. Kind of unrealistic to expect them to go all the way to the Finals in the same year that they won their first playoff series. With some experience under their belt and continued development its completely reasonable to say the 2012 Thunder were stronger than 2011.

rofl pretty much puts an end to det debate

Never said the Mavs title wasnt surprising or that they werent underdogs at times.

Surprised FKLA took that line since it's the same shit Lakers fans have used to discredit the Spurs beating them in '03.

"Shaq and Kobe were feuding! And the Lakers were running on fumes from their 3 peat!"

Never mind the fact most "experts" picked the Lakers to win the series and that the Lakers were an Horry 3 away from likely winning that series. It's not like the Spurs rolled over a lethargic Lakers team that had no fight in them.

Its pretty difficult to reach four consecutive Finals tbh. Lakers werent pushovers either years by any means...but do the '03 Spurs beat the '00 or '01 Lakers for example? Or the '11 Mavs beat the '09 or '10 Lakers? Id probably say no to either one and I dont really care as a spurfan if that 'discredits' '03. A title is a title tbh, and besides Ive always felt that title team was our weakest. Manu and Tony were still way too green and DRob was on the cusp of retirement. Legendary performance by Timmy but just an average championship team.

Brazil
06-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Also 2013 Heat >>> 2011 version

2011 had no bench and no chemistry.

2011 Wade >>> 2013 Wade to be fair

hater
06-17-2013, 04:12 PM
wow lots of homer opinions and delusional posts in here. Let's add some logic to the thread

this would be a very close series and it's really hard to say which team is better. First of all take Miami out of the picture because that's another story. Now look at both teams head to head and you see 2 very close teams. I agree Dirk would go off because Spurs although have Kawhi and Diaw who IMO would guard him pretty well, also Spurs allow the long distance 2s which Dirk was pretty automatic at back then. So Dirk would easily average 30pts/game IMO.

Now if you consider Green's shooting, you would say, that plus Parker and Duncan would at least match Dirk's contribution. So again, it would be up to the role players. You seen manu is good for at least 1 monster game. At the same time, Barea and Kidd are probably good for 1 win. that leaves a series of 5 games and of course Home Court would be irrelevant in this series. this would be definitely a 7 game series and it would depend on how good a night Dirk has IMO. If Kawhi and Boris find the formula to guard him, Spurs win, otherwise Mavs win. My heart is Spurs in 7

Jodelo
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
wow lots of homer opinions and delusional posts in here. Let's add some logic to the thread

this would be a very close series and it's really hard to say which team is better. First of all take Miami out of the picture because that's another story. Now look at both teams head to head and you see 2 very close teams. I agree Dirk would go off because Spurs although have Kawhi and Diaw who IMO would guard him pretty well, also Spurs allow the long distance 2s which Dirk was pretty automatic at back then. So Dirk would easily average 30pts/game IMO.

Now if you consider Green's shooting, you would say, that plus Parker and Duncan would at least match Dirk's contribution. So again, it would be up to the role players. You seen manu is good for at least 1 monster game. At the same time, Barea and Kidd are probably good for 1 win. that leaves a series of 5 games and of course Home Court would be irrelevant in this series. this would be definitely a 7 game series and it would depend on how good a night Dirk has IMO. If Kawhi and Boris find the formula to guard him, Spurs win, otherwise Mavs win. My heart is Spurs in 7

Solid post but Terry was playing good basketball in the playoffs. Add Marion to the list and Chandler and it's even closer.

Ignignokt
06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Aside from Dirk. The mav's strenght in '11 was the small guards. Barea and Terry were killer against the slow lakers and the miami heat, while not as slow, forced lebron to chase terry all game long. We would negate that easily with green and parker shadowing the lesser barea.

Today, spurs give up the long two, but that's because we have bullish strong and quick guards, long 2's who can punish you in this league.

Honeslty, Spurs in 6. And here's why, the spurs would likely meet the mavs in the early rounds where you'd have a fresh parker murdering them at will. Mav's in 7 if they scheme correctly to contain parker , or if they meet the spurs in the WCF.

BUMP
06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Tony Parker would eat Jason Kidd alive per par etc

Ignignokt
06-17-2013, 06:30 PM
It's all about when they would meet up.

1st round. Spurs in 5

2nd round. Spurs in 6

WCF.. Mavs in either a close 6 or 7.

But the more Parker has to play heavy minutes, the more of his speed he loses.

FkLA
06-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Yeah, Parker definitely lost a bunch of speed after a couple weeks of playoff basketball by the time he got to the WCF vs the Grizz. :rolleyes

DAF86
06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Splitter would be a very good Dirk defender, imho.

Rogue
06-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Tony Parker would eat Jason Kidd alive per par etc
Parker would be guarded by JJB who's quicker and stronger, not to say that big daddy would block every lay-up parker attemtps in the paint. Our D was solid enough in 11, that we would force the spurs to live on jumpers and 3 pointers. They can beat us the 07' warriors way if they let all horseshits fall, otherwise we would beat the spurs with comfort.

MeloHype
06-17-2013, 09:22 PM
2011 Wade >>> 2013 Wade to be fair
2013 LeBron >>> 2011 LeBron

baseline bum
06-17-2013, 09:29 PM

I can't stand that kind of revisionist history. Just like everyone pretends Detroit winning the 04 title wasn't some huge upset just because they went Eagle on Kobe. The 2011 Mavs were the trendy pick to go out in the first to Portland.

KL2
06-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Green/Kawhi would take Terry/JJB out of the game, and that's the end of the Mavs.

spurraider21
06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
everytime i see durant82 post i think its technique because of the glitter kitty

Ignignokt
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
jj barea has never proven to be a decent tony defender.

BUMP
06-17-2013, 10:38 PM
jj barea has never proven to be a decent tony defender.

This. I think we might as well assume Parker would shit all over Dallas until proven otherwise

irishock
06-17-2013, 11:11 PM
The only player who was successful in dismantling the Dallas D was D-Wade in the Finals.. Bryant, Westbrook were neutralized

Ignignokt
06-17-2013, 11:24 PM
I mean where would one assume barea could guard parker??

Ignignokt
06-17-2013, 11:34 PM
So dallas neutralized two jumpshooters. Cool story bro.

Dallas D was great, but not enough to stop parker of 13. Parker is a different beast this year, and he has a better jumpshot and more versatile game.

JJ barea would not be a threat against these spurs, spurs have better perimeter defenders this year.

Tim_duncan21
06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
Spurs in 6

AchillesHeel
06-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Spurs in 4.

tesseractive
06-18-2013, 05:33 AM
This. I think we might as well assume Parker would shit all over Dallas until proven otherwise
I also think the Spurs offensive sets are good at finding the holes in the Dallas zone. All the funky cuts, more or less forced rotations, and elbow jumpers give the Spurs a lot of promising options -- though if anyone can find good counters, it's Carlisle. Chandler is clearly the best inside defender in the series, but the Spurs would be constantly trying to force him out of position, and succeeding at least some of the time.

Danny Green doesn't explode for a zillion 3s because the Mavs are playing him in a more disciplined way than the Heat have been, but the flipside is that Parker is getting guys good shots off the drive.

Kawhi and Diaw are capable of doing a credible job on Dirk -- you could make a case that they're the Spurs' two best matchups for Dirk that the Spurs have had in his whole career.

Chandler doesn't do much on offense, and that allows the Spurs to clog the lane a bit, and hurts Dallas's ability to score efficiently inside. The end result might end up being a lot of jump shots -- but the Mavs were great at jump shots.

I think I like the Spurs in the matchup thanks to a huge series from Parker, but I'm not an expert on the '11 Mavs, so I might be missing something important.

Axe Murderer
06-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Kawhi and Diaw are capable of doing a credible job on Dirk -- you could make a case that they're the Spurs' two best matchups for Dirk that the Spurs have had in his whole career.

False on Diaw. Diaw did a terrible job on Dirk in Phoenix so I don't think the overweight version would do much better. Kawhi on Dirk would be interesting tho

Lincoln
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
I also think the Spurs offensive sets are good at finding the holes in the Dallas zone. All the funky cuts, more or less forced rotations, and elbow jumpers give the Spurs a lot of promising options -- though if anyone can find good counters, it's Carlisle. Chandler is clearly the best inside defender in the series, but the Spurs would be constantly trying to force him out of position, and succeeding at least some of the time.

Danny Green doesn't explode for a zillion 3s because the Mavs are playing him in a more disciplined way than the Heat have been, but the flipside is that Parker is getting guys good shots off the drive.

Chandler doesn't do much on offense, and that allows the Spurs to clog the lane a bit, and hurts Dallas's ability to score efficiently inside. The end result might end up being a lot of jump shots -- but the Mavs were great at jump shots.

I think I like the Spurs in the matchup thanks to a huge series from Parker, but I'm not an expert on the '11 Mavs, so I might be missing something important.

Chandler had a solid ft area jumpshot. Clogging the paint would just open shit up for the shooters. Didn't barea go HAM against the spurs in 09?

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Aw, man! I missed game 6?!

look_at_g_shred
06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Didn't we blow out the Mavs pretty much every single matchup that season? Spurs in 5. And it's not even close.

Lincoln
06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Didn't we blow out the Mavs pretty much every single matchup that season? Spurs in 5. And it's not even close.

Dallas won 103-94
Dallas lost 93-99 (no dirk)
Dallas lost 89-101 (no dirk)
Dallas lost 91-97

Yeah let's include 2 games without our best player when we were on the worst slide of the season going 2-7 without him. Good argument

Lincoln
06-18-2013, 10:55 AM
And :lol at people saying 2013 heat>2011 heat. Roster wise it is way better but performance wise it is different. 2011 d wade was amazing, probably his 2n or 3rd best season in his career. Bosh was playing well too. The big 3 were rolling in the playoffs throughout and continued in the finals sans lebron.

Lincoln
06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
A quick google search shows the same discussion going on at another more neutral forum: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/2011-mavs-vs-2013-spurs.453091327/

Amuseddaysleeper
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Dallas matched up poorly with the Spurs and always have since 2009. Spurs of 2011 went 3-1 vs Dallas that year and 2013 Spurs >>>>>> 2011 Spurs.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-18-2013, 11:03 AM

This

Lincoln
06-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Dallas matched up poorly with the Spurs and always have since 2009. Spurs of 2011 went 3-1 vs Dallas that year and 2013 Spurs >>>>>> 2011 Spurs.

2 games without dirk in the shittitest stretch of basketball all season tbh

Manu raped us that year too and he is even worse than he was in 2011 now. Didn't Duncan have a bad 2011 too or was that 2010?

Amuseddaysleeper
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
2 games without dirk in the shittitest stretch of basketball all season tbh

Manu raped us that year too and he is even worse than he was in 2011 now. Didn't Duncan have a bad 2011 too or was that 2010?

My bad, didn't realize Dirk wasn't there for some of those games.

2011 was a down year for TD, great year for Manu.

look_at_g_shred
06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Dallas won 103-94
Dallas lost 93-99 (no dirk)
Dallas lost 89-101 (no dirk)
Dallas lost 91-97

Yeah let's include 2 games without our best player when we were on the worst slide of the season going 2-7 without him. Good argument

Still 2013 Spurs are light years ahead of 2011 Spurs. So Spurs still would whoop that ass!

06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Still 2013 Spurs are light years ahead of 2011 Spurs. So Spurs still would whoop that ass!

This sounds like a very intellectually refreshing take from, what I assume from the picture, a very intelligent human being. Will recommend this post to others.

look_at_g_shred
06-18-2013, 12:13 PM
This sounds about right.

FIFY

Lincoln
06-19-2013, 10:05 AM
The 11 mavs didn't choke like pussies in a game 6 in Miami

Spurs don't have a closer