PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts Amid the Sadness After Game 4 of the 2013 NBA Finals

timvp
06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
-Damn depressing loss. Miami came out with a near perfect game on both ends, while the Spurs just weren’t sharp. In a way, it was predictable since this game had TRAP written all over it. We all hoped the Spurs could overcome – but it just didn’t happen.

-It fvcking sucks that injury had to get in the way yet again. Parker was damn great early but it was obvious he ran out of gas – and it’s safe to say that the energy he put in to play with the injury took its toll. He didn’t have much explosion at all in the second half.

-Manu Ginobili. I don’t even have to type much more. The Spurs needed a big game from him with Parker dealing with his hamstring injury … but instead got possibly the worst game he’s ever played. All we can do is hope for a bounce back in Game 5.

-Duncan wasn’t good. His reactions were slower than usual. He didn’t have his Game 3 passion. With the Heat turning up the pressure, he looked old at times for the first time in these Finals.

-I can’t really be mad with Leonard. His defense took a step back but I thought the gameplan didn’t show LeBron enough respect – so it wasn’t all Leonard’s fault. On offense, he was good enough.

-Green is in Leonard’s same boat. His defense wasn’t very effective – but his positioning was by design. He hit a few more threes and reasonably did his job on offense.

-Tiago Splitter, wtf? Gets his first two shots blocked by Wade and Battier. Added three turnovers. Began the game really weak on the glass. All in all, just a shockingly soft performance.

-I really liked the spark Diaw provided. He came in really sharp and allowed the Spurs to remain big against the Heat’s new midget starting lineup. Unfortunately, his level of play waned later in the game.

-Neal hit some miraculous shots and his D was adequate. That’s about all you can ask from him.

-The fall off from Parker to Joseph was just too drastic for the Spurs to compete. A lot of that, though, had to do with the egg Ginobili laid.

-Bonner didn’t really have an impact positively or negatively. However, with Diaw showing his value defensively this game, Pop should go ahead and stick with Diaw in Game 5.

-I don’t really have an issue with anything Pop did. With Wade on fire and Splitter playing passively, the regular starting lineup didn’t make much sense to trot out there. Overall, I thought Pop had little or no impact on this game. The players on the court decided this game.

Baam
06-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Manu is never better with less rest, not sure what people expected and Tim looks tired as well, he's not posting up much anymore for a reason.

sammy
06-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Pop screwed the lineup when he had the lead in the first quarter and took out Green and Leonard when they were making shots! He also took out Duncan and put in soft Splitter who immediately got blocked and couldn't rebound! So blame Pop for throwing us off of our game!

Darius Bieber
06-13-2013, 11:00 PM
If we play Game 5 like we played tonight, might as well just hand the trophy to Miami.

Spurs7794
06-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Random thoughts: WHY WAS DUNCAN NOT ESTABLISHED EARLY? Parker was great early, but I didn't understand at all why Tim didn't go in the post until midway through the second quarter.

SanDiegoSpursFan
I hope Pop doesn't yank Splitter next game.

Mugen
Spurs have a chance to go up 3-2 after Sunday against a great team and reigning NBA champions. They could be in a worse position tbh.

Laid an egg tonight but they win Game 5 and they'll have a chance. It's all you could ask for at this point.

ace3g
I wonder if Pop makes some slight changes now that we know Wade has a pulse (gained too much confidence from this game) and how would he go around doing that? Switch Kawhi to him?

Floyd Pacquiao
06-13-2013, 11:02 PM
perfect shitstorm, recipe for disaster etc.

MannyIsGod
Good thoughts except I think you're wrong about Duncan. Its easy around that athleticism for him to look a bit slow but I thought he played well. He did play a big soft early, but he came out much better after Pop yelled at him.

sventhedog
bad news: spurs will need to win next game because there's no way they'd get 2 wins in miami.

ace3g
06-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Also Pop has to realize if Heat blitz is switched to high he has to sub out all his bad ball handlers.

HarlemHeat37
Timvp, what do you do against Miami fronting Duncan?..

He has been horrible in this series outside of the paint, most of his misses and turnovers have been on the wing and far from the basket IIRC, and he's had a lot of success in the paint..it's irrelevant if the Spurs can't get him the ball in the post, though..

The Spurs are playing with fire by relying so heavily on perimeter offense IMO..when Miami is focused and engaged, they eat perimeter offended..I also expect that Neal will eventually cool down, and they will continue to force Green to put the ball on the floor, especially with a hobbled Parker..

phxspurfan
No beef with this analysis. The Spurs just got outplayed on both ends of the floor tonight. It was clear who wanted it more from the jump. Even if Parker was 100% there's no way the Spurs can hang with Miami when Wade and James are playing like they're in the olympics.

milkyway21
the Spurs lost? sorry I was @ work :( :cry

TheGoldStandard
My only thought is of how predictable and crappy Manu is when he's running the point. Dribbles left, then comes right and jumps up to find a pass.. Takes shitty 3's for no reason when he can take a small jumper from 18 feet if he just drives in a little more off the screens.

Tiago Splitter should not be in the game ever when Miami goes small.. He's way too soft, he's losing contract money every game.

siraulo23
06-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Splitter and Manu were a huge part why the spurs lost this game

There was no sense of urgency from the get go, even td was bad

Overall just a great game from Miami, you gotta give them credit, dwade had a flashback game he was dominant

cd021
Manu and Twilight Spilitter had a chance to help the Spurs take a 3-1 lead. They both played their worst game in both of their NBA careers. I was actually embarrassed for Splitter. He is costing himself a ton of money and his team a shot at a 5th title in 16 seasons.

therealtruth
I hope Pop doesn't yank Splitter next game.

This. There was nothing wrong with the starting lineup. Maybe give Splitter a quick talking to then send him back into the game. The game plan was to give Wade and Lebron space and wall of the paint. The Spurs didn't do that and allowed them to get in the paint early and often. It's no surprise they started hitting their jumpers after that. They're rhythm players not jump shooters.

Darius McCrary
Is Duncan already fatigued? Seriously WTF was wrong with Duncan, he was a step slow all night long.

Is Parker hurt hurt or did him falling down constantly I the first half sap his energy?

Ugh, I'm sick, what a blown opportunity.

m33p0
i hope to god someone would talk to manu and tell him to stop messing around and just play smart. cojo can't play at this level. his first instinct was to attack and then just stops mid dribble. it was perplexing.

i hope green and neal keep up their shooting. they're the only bright spot i saw tonight.

milkyway21
06-13-2013, 11:05 PM
I thought so when they said TP will be playing.. a 75% TP is not good news.

dg7md
06-13-2013, 11:05 PM
We lost because of Manu and Splitter, who have never had a good game in the entire playoffs really.

No way they suddenly get good.

I truly think we've blown our opportunity to win the championship.

This feels like a classic Spurs meltdown moment. An OKC backdoor sweep, 0.4 depression, etc.

TheGoldStandard
06-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Parker played like a man who wants to win in the 1st half.. but he had no help.. hated some of the rotations but we were missing shots left and right, no momentum and predicable play..

Budkin
Tonight sucks but we knew the Heat would respond. It's 2-2 and the next game is in SA. Don't jump yet. Our guy are gonna fight for their lives in game 5 just the same and take it in 6. Believe.

Dingle Barry
I really fucking hope Shitter isn't in silver and black next year. I've never seen such a pussy display in professional sports, and I was forced to watch dick Jefferson for years.

Keepin' it real
06-13-2013, 11:07 PM
First, hats off to Miami. That was a BIG THREE performance for the ages. The brutal truth is if both teams play their best, Miami will win.

BUT, this has clearly turned into a punch-counterpunch series. The Spurs landed the first shot with Parker's buzzer-beater in Game 1, and they are still on track to land the final blow in Game 7.

Plus, the fact that our big three has been average at best, and we're still tied 2-2. That's pretty amazing.

TheGoldStandard
We lost because of Manu and Splitter, who have never had a good game in the entire playoffs really.

No way they suddenly get good.

I truly think we've blown our opportunity to win the championship.

This feels like a classic Spurs meltdown moment. An OKC backdoor sweep, 0.4 depression, etc.

Tiago is a really weak 7 footer, I mean really weak. Keeps the ball too low, gets stripped easily and then is so soft when he goes up. I don't need him to dunk but he needs to create space when he goes up.

dorrrr
We CAN win in miami again. just make sure to win game 5 and it's possible. game 5 is a must obv, pressure on us. Miami can chill, they did what they had to do. they can return to Florida behind 3-2 and win 2 straight.

therealtruth
06-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Spurs have a chance to go up 3-2 after Sunday against a great team and reigning NBA champions. They could be in a worse position tbh.

Laid an egg tonight but they win Game 5 and they'll have a chance. It's all you could ask for at this point.

I agree stick with the defensive gameplan. Try to find the bigs early. If TP/Manu can't make the pass to the bigs I think Pop really needs to consider TMac. We're giving up passes to the bigs when the Heat blitz the pick and roll. TMac at least would have the vision and length to find the bigs.

spurs10
I can only hope TP can play on Sunday. Tiago and Manu, almost singlehandedly, made it impossible for us to win. Tiago I get, but for Manu to play that poorly when we needed him most is not promising. I think Tim will play much better on Sunday and if Tony can play we might have a chance. I think Pop was trying to get Manu and Tiago going by keeping them in the game. Didn't work out so great. The long wait for game 5 will be good for TP though.

DPG21920
Miami made the shots they missed in the first 3 games. They took the shots the defense was designed to give. They also forced their way into the paint more and converted (spurs going small did not help). Spurs go some great looks inside and got their shit swatted an abnormal amount of times. MIA defense was fantastic, but Spurs still wasted plenty of opps. Lot's of terrible turn overs, no real urgency and the big 3 failed.

#2!
06-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Also Pop has to realize if Heat blitz is switched to high he has to sub out all his bad ball handlers.
Tbh Tony Parker is the only good ballhandler on the team. If anyone considers Neal, or Green to be good handling the ball then that just shows how far Manu has fallen in this department.

TD 21
-I don’t really have an issue with anything Pop did. With Wade on fire and Splitter playing passively, the regular starting lineup didn’t make much sense to trot out there. Overall, I thought Pop had little or no impact on this game. The players on the court decided this game.

I do. I realize Splitter made two awful plays within' the first minute, but allowing them to dictate terms that quickly, when they were in control of the series, is a defeatist attitude. If anything, I'd have waited too long to pull the plug, just to show them that they're not going to determine things.

Everything about the way he coached was defeatist. The constant resting of his best players, Leonard in particular, was pathetic. Instead of treating this like a must win and going for the kill, he's trying to manage minutes, despite the fact that they're down to five (Parker, Duncan, Leonard, Green, Neal) they can count on and have two days off upcoming. Why can James, who's got a ton more mileage and responsibility, go basically unlimited consecutive minutes without a rest, yet Leonard cant'? And why hasn't he figured out that they need at least one of Duncan/Leonard in at all times?

Of course, Pop's poor performance pails in comparison to Ginobili's, who's lost his competitive spirit. I don't care what anyone says; there's no way you can say he wants this as badly as Parker, Duncan, Leonard and Green. Unfortunately, they can't go away from him entirely, but if he doesn't compete at the level necessary next game, then he has no business being amongst the closing five.

timtonymanu
Eventually the series was going to come down to the star players. The Heat Big 3 stepped up. The Spurs Big 3 didn't.

Southwest Texas Fan

:tu:tu:tu

m33p0
06-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Manu is never better with less rest, not sure what people expected and Tim looks tired as well, he's not posting up much anymore for a reason.
reason? how bout our guards inability/unwillingness to give him the ball at the post? they weren't even trying to give him the ball.

ALVAREZ6
06-13-2013, 11:12 PM
-Tiago Splitter, wtf? Gets his first two shots blocked by Wade and Battier. Added three turnovers. Began the game really weak on the glass. All in all, just a shockingly soft performance.
TIM (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=20088)vip, you're shocked at Splitter playing weak under the bright lights? This game had Splitter written all over him. He's already reached his ceiling as a player. Just wait until the big 3 are no longer here. Back to Spain to play with softer, smaller men we go...

Mugen
Play Wade exactly the same tbh. Make him prove it over a couple of games.

Tighten up on a LeBron a little bit but don't overreact to this game. The blueprint is still solid.

We'll make adjustments and we will respond in Game 5 just like Miami did tonight.

Capt Bringdown
Extremely frustrating game to watch. Spurs looked befuddled literally from the tip off. How do you fuck up a tip off, ffs?

Ray Allen looking like a much better and more valuable weapon than Manu.

So we're down to 2 extremely unlikely scenarios for a Spurs title:
Spurs win 2 in a row or win a game 7 in Miami.

This game is going to haunt us, I'm afraid. :(

cjw
06-13-2013, 11:13 PM
I can only hope TP can play on Sunday. Tiago and Manu, almost singlehandedly, made it impossible for us to win. Tiago I get, but for Manu to play that poorly when we needed him most is not promising. I think Tim will play much better on Sunday and if Tony can play we might have a chance. I think Pop was trying to get Manu and Tiago going by keeping them in the game. Didn't work out so great. The long wait for game 5 will be good for TP though.

On the bright side, they may be saving Peter Holt some money this offseason at this rate! Tiago can go to Charlotte or some team in Spain for all I care.

HarlemHeat37
06-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Duncan spent half the game establishing position, not sure what people want him to do, tbh..most of the time Miami fronts and the Spurs guards don't understand what to run to get him the ball..

Mugen
06-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Duncan spent half the game establishing position, not sure what people want him to do, tbh..most of the time Miami fronts and the Spurs guards don't understand what to run to get him the ball..

Less Neal and more Diaw tbh.

KaiRMD1
06-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Spurs looking like the Pacers a little bit

Chinook
06-13-2013, 11:18 PM
The good news is that the Spurs have two days to come back from this loss. I think we're starting to see the Heat at their best. All in all, the Spurs took the punch pretty well. I think if they figure the Heat out this time, they can overcome them in Game 6, too.

It's getting to the point though that Pop may need to just get Ginobili out of there. It's just obscene right now watching him on the court.

Capt Bringdown
06-13-2013, 11:19 PM
I do. I realize Splitter made two awful plays within' the first minute, but allowing them to dictate terms that quickly, when they were in control of the series, is a defeatist attitude. If anything, I'd have waited too long to pull the plug, just to show them that they're not going to determine things.

I couldn't agree with you more. Imagine if you're Miami. Imagine your delight in seeing the Spurs take out their 2nd best big essentially before the game even started. They LOVED Gary Neal coming in for Splitter.

Reckless, reactionary, emotional coaching for a man who likes to preach humility and getting over yourself. I think the game turned at that precise point.

Darius McCrary

Everything about the way he coached was defeatist. The constant resting of his best players, Leonard in particular, was pathetic. Instead of treating this like a must win and going for the kill, he's trying to manage minutes, despite the fact that they're down to five (Parker, Duncan, Leonard, Green, Neal) they can count on and have two days off upcoming. Why can James, who's got a ton more mileage and responsibility, go basically unlimited consecutive minutes without a rest, yet Leonard cant'? And why hasn't he figured out that they need at least one of Duncan/Leonard in at all times?

Of course, Pop's poor performance pails in comparison to Ginobili's, who's lost his competitive spirit. I don't care what anyone says; there's no way you can say he wants this as badly as Parker, Duncan, Leonard and Green. Unfortunately, they can't go away from him entirely, but if he doesn't compete at the level necessary next game, then he has no business being amongst the closing five.
underrated post, Pop sat Kawhi for no reason right after we were as close as we were going to be. Why why why, is all i asked, because Lebron and wade were both still on the floor. He sat Kawhi when Duncan was already sitting, and the rebounding went to crap instantly.

Why sit kawhi? Why sit the rebounding guy that just scored freakishly on the baseline?

Bruno
Well, Breaking news: Miami is a damn great team.

You can put this loss on some players but I find that Spurs as a whole played a good game. Miami was just the better team tonight and I wear that this trend will carry on for the rest of the series that will end with Heat winning in 6.

Chinook

I'd have to look again, but maybe that contributed to the Spurs getting back into the game with Diaw in the first half? He understands the high-low about as well as anyone on the team.

Spur-Addict
06-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Too many turnovers. 10 in the first half, and almost the same amount in the second half. If we continue to turn it over like this we won't win another game. Pretty much the same thing happened in game 2 in that regard. Splitter/Ginobili/Cojo? SMH. Neal forced it early on trying to replicate game 3, but like was said previously, played a decent game. They sure trapped the hell out of Timmy on several occasions. But he could've played much better. I thought Pop could've called a timeout in the first half before Miami got out in control there in their first real run.

There was a possession, score was 81-86 and we gave up two offensive rebounds, that hurt. They later scored on that possession. But my main problem are the massive amount of turnovers.

DejuanorwhatDude
06-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Eventually the series was going to come down to the star players. The Heat Big 3 stepped up. The Spurs Big 3 didn't.

Thats all that really needs to be said. They have stars, the Spurs do not anymore outside of Tony Parker. Going to take two monumental efforts at this point. Hopefully the Spurs have it in them.

baseline bum
06-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Another thought: championships are really hard to win, especially against teams that win 66 games with two first ballot Hall of Famers and an elite defense. But with two days rest they have a great shot to be up 3-2 going to Miami, which is what I have been hoping for this entire series.

ballhog
06-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Wade was difference. When Tim was on the bench, he drove. When Tim out there, he shot jumpers. He had a great 2nd half finally. No Parker in second half.

m33p0
06-13-2013, 11:24 PM
20 turnovers ain't gonna cut it, btw. that's too much to overcome.

therealtruth
06-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. Imagine if you're Miami. Imagine your delight in seeing the Spurs take out their 2nd best big essentially before the game even started. They LOVED Gary Neal coming in for Splitter.

Reckless, reactionary, emotional coaching for a man who likes to preach humility and getting over yourself. I think the game turned at that precise point.

Not just that. It opened up the paint. A team that is struggling with confidence and shooting was helped by being able to get into the paint. As much as ST likes to criticize Tiago, his greatest benefit to the starting 5 isn't offense but defensively. We lost the chance to set a defensive tone from the start of the game and allowed them to get a good offensive rhythm.

Now if TP could figure out how to pass to the bigs on the pick and roll this series would be over by now.

itsamanuthree
06-13-2013, 11:26 PM
-Manu Ginobili. I don’t even have to type much more. The Spurs needed a big game from him with Parker dealing with his hamstring injury … but instead got possibly the worst game he’s ever played. All we can do is hope for a bounce back in Game 5.

:lmao

I'm sorry, this is tolerable from a gnsf, you disapoint me greatly timvp. I counted at least 4 excellent passes from Manu that left Splitter (3) and Duncan (1) under the basket with a great chance to score. Would they have done it and you would have changed to something like "he didn't shoot, but excellent passing, etc", just like we are used to see lately from him. Now this players were blocked and this was the worst game in his career. Shame on you timvp.

The heat played very good defense I think, also, so props to them for that (judges were a bit permissive too, and that sucks), and many of our guys shrinked against their tenacity (not manu, who didn't shoot much because he dimmed that was the best for the team), IMHO.

upTD
06-13-2013, 11:28 PM
-
-Manu Ginobili. I don’t even have to type much more. The Spurs needed a big game from him with Parker dealing with his hamstring injury … but instead got possibly the worst game he’s ever played. All we can do is hope for a bounce back in Game 5. .

All the man who hope for Manu Ginobili 's a bounce back in Game 5 is a stupid

100%duncan
I really fucking hope Shitter isn't in silver and black next year. I've never seen such a pussy display in professional sports, and I was forced to watch dick Jefferson for years.

Cosigned.

MannyIsGod
Well, Breaking news: Miami is a damn great team.

You can put this loss on some players but I find that Spurs as a whole played a good game. Miami was just the better team tonight and I wear that this trend will carry on for the rest of the series that will end with Heat winning in 6.

Another thought: championships are really hard to win, especially against teams that win 66 games with two first ballot Hall of Famers and an elite defense. But with two days rest they have a great shot to be up 3-2 going to Miami, which is what I have been hoping for this entire series.

Spurs fans find themselves an underdog for the first time in the Finals. Its hard to swallow. I don't think the Spurs played a good game, though. The most important thing to manage is turn overs and the Spurs messed up on those. Thats where it ends and begins.

Capt Bringdown
06-13-2013, 11:30 PM
As much as ST likes to criticize Tiago, his greatest benefit to the starting 5 isn't offense but defensively. We lost the chance to set a defensive tone from the start of the game and allowed them to get a good offensive rhythm.

Agreed. Once LeBron got going in transition that was it.

baseline bum
06-13-2013, 11:34 PM

You'd think a team that moves the ball as well as the Spurs would find a way to beat that fronting. Wish the Spurs had a big who could run the hi-low like Robinson to get Duncan the ball when he was fronted.

TD 21
06-13-2013, 11:34 PM
You unabashed Ginobili apologists/fan boys are a disgrace to real Spurs fans and I'm disgusted by you. If Parker were playing with even close to as little intensity/passion as golden boy, you'd be all over him.

TheGreatYacht
06-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Good thoughts except I think you're wrong about Duncan. Its easy around that athleticism for him to look a bit slow but I thought he played well. He did play a big soft early, but he came out much better after Pop yelled at him.The problem is that those midgets are fronting Duncan just like they did against Roy Hibbert. At Duncan's age, I don't know if he can fight around that fronting or if he's willing to demand for the ball enough.

Spurminator
06-13-2013, 11:36 PM
The Heat just played better. It was a back and fourth game but by the fourth quarter, they were just landing more punches than we were. We need more from players like Manu and Splitter but I honestly don't think we can expect it.

I'd have to watch again to see if the Heat went into denial mode on the 3's but it seemed like we went away from Green and Neal for too long.

It's a 2-2 series, which is pretty much exactly where I expected it to be after 4.

DPG21920
06-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Wade was just incredible tonight. With Lebron being so great, if he gets one game like this from a member of his big 3, that's enough to win a series because he can win other games.

Just an absolute clinic by MIA's big 3 and they put the reminder back in people's heads that think for a minute they aren't supremely talented.

T Park
06-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Miami made the shots they missed in the first 3 games. They took the shots the defense was designed to give. They also forced their way into the paint more and converted (spurs going small did not help). Spurs go some great looks inside and got their shit swatted an abnormal amount of times. MIA defense was fantastic, but Spurs still wasted plenty of opps. Lot's of terrible turn overs, no real urgency and the big 3 failed.

Pretty much this. Although going small can't be helped.

baseline bum
06-13-2013, 11:37 PM
I do worry this series isn't winnable if Wade is hitting his jumper. The Spurs have just been basically running a gimmick defense and giving Wade any shot he wants. Thankfully I haven't seen Wade consistent with his jumper in years.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-13-2013, 11:38 PM
#1 - you can't put a loss on a single player in the game of BB. It's a team sport.

Now that we got that out of the way, I think the Spurs never recovered from the weird ref calls when they were up 10. It was a huge mental breakdown. You are supposed to play through that.

T Park
06-13-2013, 11:39 PM
The Heat just played better. It was a back and fourth game but by the fourth quarter, they were just landing more punches than we were. We need more from players like Manu and Splitter but I honestly don't think we can expect it.

I'd have to watch again to see if the Heat went into denial mode on the 3's but it seemed like we went away from Green and Neal for too long.

It's a 2-2 series, which is pretty much exactly where I expected it to be after 4.

Parker and others just didn't look for them enough. Missed a wide open green many times.

jimbo
06-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Tiago isn't made for this series at all, he can't enforce his will on smaller defenders so there's no point in playing him and TD together if Miami is going small. (As people said earlier, Splitter's best on defense) Dude's been averaging like 8 ppg in the playoffs, don't know what most of you were expecting out of him.

This game was on Miami's big 3 outplaying the Spurs'.

RD2191
06-13-2013, 11:40 PM
We are bound to get blown out in Miami, role players don't bring it on the road and our big 3 has been sucking major dick this series.

gameFACE
06-13-2013, 11:41 PM
The Spurs passing was ridiculously lazy. Easy for the Heat to get a piece of the ball and then another turnover. Ball movement was lethargic. I know Pop is playing small but if we had a decent big Miami might be forced to deal with that. But holy shit Splitter, Bonner and even Duncan are soft at the rim.

#2!
06-13-2013, 11:43 PM
I couldn't figure out why our players kept going for dunks all of a sudden this game. We've been a layup team for like 15 years at this point and it was stupid for our guys passing up the opportunity to make shots unblockable by going glass or draw fouls by trying to go top shelf.

Also, PUMP FAKE. For the love of all that is holy pump fake around the rim.

weebo
06-13-2013, 11:44 PM
their big 3= 85 pts
our big 3= 40 pts

freetiago
06-13-2013, 11:45 PM
no coincedence Splitter plays low minutes and Miamis gets everything in the paint
he just doesnt have the athleticism/size (weight) to counter Miamis fast rotations
his passing has been bad but hes getting hacked on his attempts
Wades first steal was all wrist on Splitter as he rolled

the obvious thing would be turnovers
mishandles/flops/bad hands/bad passes led to all of them

baseline bum
06-13-2013, 11:47 PM
their big 3= 85 pts
our big 3= 40 pts

???

Parker 15 points
Duncan 20 points
Green 10 points

Stabula
06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
If Parker can't be MVParker for 4 quarters the Spurs have less than a 0% chance especially since Ginobili hardly looks like an NBA player. The entirety of the Spurs offense revolves around Parker and Ginobili to penetrate and drive for the layup or collapse the defense to find a shooter and if neither one can do that for even one quarter the game gets ugly really fast. The entirety of this series revolves around Parker's health and with Miami getting any call they want the odds are stacked against the good guys.

Stabula
06-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Also Splitter certainly wasn't good, not by a long shot, but he wasn't as bad as it looked. Splitter got fouled, and fouled, and fouled again with absolutely no calls. I can't believe officiating like this is allowed on such a big stage with such a large audience. If you look at the exact same play with the Spurs on defense then it's a foul but if Miami is on defense it's a totally 100% legit squeaky clean block. :rolleyes

slayermin
06-13-2013, 11:56 PM
I thought the Spurs played soft, to bring back a Spurs cliche. Heat were swiping, being aggressive, physical. Spurs did not match the physicality.

That's pretty much what I saw tonight. Step it up Spurs. It's going 7.

spurraider21
06-13-2013, 11:57 PM
the Spurs were outplayed, but they weren't outmatched. a lot of our guys simply didn't play well, but it wasn't due to some miracle defensive ploy by the Heat. neither the Spurs nor the Heat have lost consecutive games in these playoffs, and the Heat haven't won consecutive games since the Bulls series. I fully expect the Spurs to bounce back with a win in game 5. A key to that will be to have Tim impose his will on the block. If it means more Diaw and less Splitter to make the high-low more effective, so be it. We have no room for soft Splitter. He's averaged less than 3 rebounds per game in these finals, and if he's not going to play big, I'd rather have Boris anyway. Green/Neal/Leonard played fine. Parker disappeared in the 2nd half. Whether or not it was because of the injury is another story, but the fact of the matter is we were competing so much better early on because Parker was playing as well as he was. Hopefully the time off between now and Sunday will enable Parker to maintain his play over the course of the game.

ShoogarBear
06-13-2013, 11:58 PM

I've never seen a big get his manhood so completely taken away by smaller players as Tiago Splitter this series. By the second half, the crowd was literally cringing every time he had the ball in his hands, expecting the worse.

Spurs fans find themselves an underdog for the first time in the Finals. Its hard to swallow. I don't think the Spurs played a good game, though. The most important thing to manage is turn overs and the Spurs messed up on those. Thats where it ends and begins.

Agreed, the Heat clearly are the better team when they're at their best. And I don't think the Spurs have ever had a truly bona-fide playoff upset in the Duncan era (mostly because they've been so uniformly excellent). That's why a victory this year would be the cherry on top.

Budkin
06-13-2013, 11:59 PM
With how bad we played and how good they played we actually didn't lose by that much if you take into account they ran up the score.

TheGreatYacht
06-14-2013, 12:02 AM

:lmao

I'm sorry, this is tolerable from a gnsf, you disapoint me greatly timvp. I counted at least 4 excellent passes from Manu that left Splitter (3) and Duncan (1) under the basket with a great chance to score. Would they have done it and you would have changed to something like "he didn't shoot, but excellent passing, etc", just like we are used to see lately from him. Now this players were blocked and this was the worst game in his career. Shame on you timvp.

The heat played very good defense I think, also, so props to them for that (judges were a bit permissive too, and that sucks), and many of our guys shrinked against their tenacity (not manu, who didn't shoot much because he dimmed that was the best for the team), IMHO.LOL his worst game was Game 2. That was the drunk or drugged Manu.

Arcadian
06-14-2013, 12:02 AM
With two days off, I expect good things in game 5.

dbreiden83080
06-14-2013, 12:03 AM
There is no way to judge this series IMO.. Win a close game 1 lose a blowout game 2, win a blowout game 3 basically get blown out in game 4 it is up and down and nutty.. Game 5 is a toss up and a must win if the Spurs expect to be champs..

Spurminator
06-14-2013, 12:03 AM
At this point I'd honestly rather Tiago take that pussy 5-foot hook shot than try to take it aggressively to the basket. I still like him on the floor for his picking and passing ability, but until he learns to keep the ball high and hold onto it like a bog boy, I'd really rather he just didn't touch it.

TheGreatYacht
06-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Play Wade exactly the same tbh. Make him prove it over a couple of games.

Tighten up on a LeBron a little bit but don't overreact to this game. The blueprint is still solid.

We'll make adjustments and we will respond in Game 5 just like Miami did tonight.This. Keep daring Lebron and Wade to shoot long jumpers. They are both streaky shooters. Unfortunately they were able to get into the paint early on which got their confidence going to hit them jumpers.

SouthTexasRancher
06-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Tiago needs to be moved to street clothes and sit behind the players. Enough of Tiago, Blair and Bonner. Seeing how tired and unable to do much from Tim and Manu it is time the Spurs start looking for a good big man who can defend the paint. Tim can't do it all. Tiago just flat out sucks. You never know when he, Bonner and/or Blair will show up. They seem to disappear when we need them to give us something.

Budkin
06-14-2013, 12:09 AM
We've got all the %s on our side. Win first game 77% winners. Finals tied 1-1 win game 3 92% winners. I know that doesn't guarantee anything but we're still in a great position to win the title as long as we take care of the ball.

TheGreatYacht
06-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Also Splitter certainly wasn't good, not by a long shot, but he wasn't as bad as it looked. Splitter got fouled, and fouled, and fouled again with absolutely no calls. I can't believe officiating like this is allowed on such a big stage with such a large audience. If you look at the exact same play with the Spurs on defense then it's a foul but if Miami is on defense it's a totally 100% legit squeaky clean block. :rolleyes

BatManu20
06-14-2013, 12:12 AM
RIP Emanuel David Ginobili.

You'll be missed..

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ljm3op.png

baseline bum
06-14-2013, 12:13 AM
We've got all the %s on our side. Win first game 77% winners. Finals tied 1-1 win game 3 92% winners. I know that doesn't guarantee anything but we're still in a great position to win the title as long as we take care of the ball.

Clearly a team who wins game 1 or wins game 3 of a 1-1 series has a huge advantage, since they're up 1 win in the series in those two cases. But since the series is 2-2 now, none of that means anything whatsoever. It's now a three game series and Miami has homecourt.

weeks
06-14-2013, 12:15 AM
if miami's big three continue to shoot like that, then we're in big trouble

Budkin
06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Clearly a team who wins game 1 or wins game 3 of a 1-1 series has a huge advantage, since they're up 1 win in the series in those two cases. But since the series is 2-2 now, none of that means anything whatsoever. It's now a three game series and Miami has homecourt.

If we alternate wins I like our chances... EVEN in a Game 7.

baseline bum
06-14-2013, 12:20 AM
If we alternate wins I like our chances... EVEN in a Game 7.

I don't really like the Spurs chances in any given game in Miami, which is why Game 5 is such a must-win. The Spurs are really going to need two shots to get a win in Miami. If they win Game 5 I feel like the Spurs will have a 50/50 shot at the series. But lose Game 5 and it's 10% maybe.

GSH
06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Parker had 10 in the first, 5 in the second, and nothing after that. The Spurs don't have a backup PG that can withstand the Heat's ball pressure. And when you turn the ball over against Miami, they score.

Up until now, I wasn't worried about this series - not once. But with Tony not being healthy, I don't think we can win it. If Manu was still able to penetrate, and pick up 6-7 assists off the bench (and all that goes with that) then I would still like the Spurs' chances. But it's pretty obvious that when Tony leaves the floor, we're in trouble. The Heat are like sharks with blood in the water. A few years ago, I might hope that T-Mac could come in and handle the ball. But not from what I've seen from him in garbage time.

If Tony can't play 36+ minutes - effective minutes - I don't see how the Spurs are going to pull this thing out.

Darius McCrary
06-14-2013, 12:27 AM
I don't really like the Spurs chances in any given game in Miami, which is why Game 5 is such a must-win. The Spurs are really going to need two shots to get a win in Miami. If they win Game 5 I feel like the Spurs will have a 50/50 shot at the series. But lose Game 5 and it's 10% maybe.

rofl
our chances are barely above 10% now, if we lose game 5, this thing is at 3% at best

m33p0
06-14-2013, 12:28 AM
that early 10 point lead wasn't good. i think it was that that lit a fire under the heat.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Pop panicked early. He subbed Neal for splitter at the first dead ball out of fear for miller. Our rotations and fives were off the rest of first half.

If he wanted to contribute Poo should have gotten a T when heat were getting away with everything in first half.

Manu is sicking. Glad the team called him out but holy crap he needs to step up.

SnakeBoy
06-14-2013, 12:30 AM
I don't really like the Spurs chances in any given game in Miami, which is why Game 5 is such a must-win. The Spurs are really going to need two shots to get a win in Miami. If they win Game 5 I feel like the Spurs will have a 50/50 shot at the series. But lose Game 5 and it's 0% absolutely.

FIFY

baseline bum
06-14-2013, 12:31 AM
rofl
our chances are barely above 10% now, if we lose game 5, this thing is at 3% at best

I feel like giving the home team a 70-30 edge in a game is reasonable when the teams are pretty evenly matched. Just a back of the envelope calculation on the odds though. 70-30 number pulled directly out of ass, so don't take my prediction too seriously.

DMC
06-14-2013, 12:37 AM
I read the OP but none of the responses.

The Miami series will be back and forth just like the Pacers/Heat series was. Only this time the Spurs got the first punch whereas in the previous series Vogel shit the bed and left his big on the bench while James trotted to the rim twice to seal the steal even though George was ballin'. Pacers should have gone back to Indy up 2-0.

Spurs didn't make that same mistake. They took game 1 in Miami and haven't lost a close one. If the Spurs rebound next game (no pun intended) they will put pressure on Miami to win two closeout games. Miami can do it, but celebrating another ring on Lebron's home floor would be the icing on the cake and Lebron has to know that so that's at least some added pressure. After that it depends largely on Miami. The Spurs do what they do, but Miami comes and goes with the tide so we'll see how the tide moves on Sunday.

Budkin
06-14-2013, 12:40 AM

Lose game 5 and it's 0% tbh

ace3g
06-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Who starts game 5: Splitter or Diaw?

baseline bum
06-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Lose game 5 and it's 0% tbh

I think that's overly pessimistic. The Spurs have shown they can play with Miami on their homecourt. I mean the odds would be really long to win two in a row there, but calling it 0% is ridiculous.

Keepin' it real
06-14-2013, 12:49 AM
-Damn depressing loss.

I'm not at all depressed with this loss, or any part of this series. In all honesty, 2 of the Spurs' 3 best players are way past their prime, yet here they stand just 2 games from winning a championship.

This is an improbable run, and I'm soaking this series up because I know it won't happen again for the Spurs with this roster.

Miami is better, and better teams almost always win seven-game series. But I'm still holding out hope that the Spurs can pull off a rare NBA Finals upset.

BatManu20
06-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Sports Center said miami has a 65.6% chance of winning the series now. As opposed to the 21.4% chance they would've had had the Spurs won the game.

BatManu20
06-14-2013, 12:51 AM
I'm not at all depressed with this loss, or any part of this series. In all honesty, 2 of the Spurs' 3 best players are way past their prime, yet here they stand just 2 games from winning a championship.

This is an improbable run, and I'm soaking this series up because I know it won't happen again for the Spurs with this roster.

Miami is better, and better teams almost always win seven-game series. But I'm still holding out hope that the Spurs can pull off a rare NBA Finals upset.

Great analysis tbh :tu

Xevious
06-14-2013, 12:53 AM
I don't like labeling games "must win", especially in the finals. But the Spurs pretty much have to win the next two games now. Game 7 in Miami will be near impossible to win.

Hats off to Miami though. Wade and James did what they needed to do. Now with two days rest, hopefully SA can bring it on Sunday.

Xevious
06-14-2013, 12:55 AM

This. I'm proud of these guys win or lose. Nobody thought they'd be here when the season started.

Rapper
06-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Can we have a bounce back in Game 5? Otherwise the series is really over Damn it we have had a good run I want to finish this season with a smile I just want to give Timmy one more ring...Damn it

dallasmaverickslose
06-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Who starts game 5: Splitter or Diaw?

Bonner

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-14-2013, 01:40 AM
As much as it hurts to lose game four when we looked so incredible in game three, we've been here before. 2-2 going into a must win game five reminds me of 2005 and the Horry game... let's hope we get a spectacular again with the same result!

I think the things that killed us today were the 18 turnovers (you will rarely beat the Heat with more than 12) forced by the improved Heat defence, and of course Bosch, Wade and LBJ really stepped up on offence.

This has been a schizophrenic series, so all we can do is wait and see which version of each team turns up in two days. This is tough and harrowing Finals basketball just as I expected it to be.

POUND THE ROCK.

:flag: :ihit

RD2191
06-14-2013, 01:45 AM
I think that's overly pessimistic. The Spurs have shown they can play with Miami on their homecourt. I mean the odds would be really long to win two in a row there, but calling it 0% is ridiculous.
Not true at all. Miami was coming off of a long series with the Pacers and were pretty damn tired. It took a lucky shot by Parker to get the win. I seriously doubt Spurs win another game in Miami.

crc21209
06-14-2013, 01:46 AM
As much as it hurts to lose game four when we looked so incredible in game three, we've been here before. 2-2 going into a must win game five reminds me of 2005 and the Horry game... let's hope we get a spectacular again with the same result!

I think the things that killed us today were the 18 turnovers (you will rarely beat the Heat with more than 12) forced by the improved Heat defence, and of course Bosch, Wade and LBJ really stepped up on offence.

This has been a schizophrenic series, so all we can do is wait and see which version of each team turns up in two days. This is tough and harrowing Finals basketball just as I expected it to be.

POUND THE ROCK.

:flag: :ihit

+1. At the end of the day I think this series comes down to turnovers. The Spurs won Game 1 with only 4 turnovers and won Game 3 with 12 turnovers (Although it was probably only 8 or 9 before the game turned into a blowout). The Spurs lost Game 2 with 17 turnovers and Game 4 with 19 turnovers. That is just way to many to win a game against the Heat. ALOT of the points the Heat scored were off of Spurs turnovers. The Spurs need to force the Heat to score against them in the halfcourt and not in transition.

dallasmaverickslose
06-14-2013, 01:48 AM
+1. At the end of the day I think this series comes down to turnovers. The Spurs won Game 1 with only 4 turnovers and won Game 3 with 12 turnovers (Although it was probably only 8 or 9 before the game turned into a blowout). The Spurs lost Game 2 with 17 turnovers and Game 4 with 19 turnovers. That is just way to many to win a game against the Heat. ALOT of the points the Heat scored were off of Spurs turnovers. The Spurs need to force the Heat to score against them in the halfcourt and not in transition.

I agree, if the Spurs limit themselves to around 10 turnovers, games will at the very least go down to the wire. Turnovers really killed us tonight and thats how the heat got a lot of easy buckets.

Russo21
06-14-2013, 01:51 AM
We've got all the %s on our side. Win first game 77% winners. Finals tied 1-1 win game 3 92% winners. I know that doesn't guarantee anything but we're still in a great position to win the title as long as we take care of the ball. Nice

FkLA
06-14-2013, 01:53 AM
-It fvcking sucks that injury had to get in the way yet again. Parker was damn great early but it was obvious he ran out of gas – and it’s safe to say that the energy he put in to play with the injury took its toll. He didn’t have much explosion at all in the second half.

lol'd

DJ Mbenga
06-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Pop panicked early. He subbed Neal for splitter at the first dead ball out of fear for miller. Our rotations and fives were off the rest of first half.

If he wanted to contribute Poo should have gotten a T when heat were getting away with everything in first half.

Manu is sicking. Glad the team called him out but holy crap he needs to step up.

wasnt necessary. was a close game at half time, then spurs got a ton i mean a ton of calls in 3rd to keep it close.

Mal
06-14-2013, 02:45 AM
I think that refs, who allowed Miami playing really aggressive dictated pace of the game. And that pace was Miami`s Heat pace. Plus Wade got hot handed on his mid range jumpers, and all fall apart, especially when Parker wasnt 100% in 2nd half.

I mean, refs by allowing it, kinda killed Spurs` ball movement. I didnt watch Miami`s games at all, and I really dont know if they are allowed to play such intense and aggressive defense all the times.

elmanutres
06-14-2013, 02:58 AM
very fortunate we get an extra day of rest though. hopefully parkers hamstring will be better by then.

T Park
06-14-2013, 03:06 AM
The refereeing wasnt good. But it wasnt bad either. Again, best reffed Kennedy and Foster game I've seen maybe ever.

polandprzem
06-14-2013, 06:32 AM
This game may just decide the series!

As I posted b4 the Finals - The spurs must to hit Heat quick and leave. Now when series is ties with only one game at ATT the spurs chances are very low. Take to a consideration the fact of TPs injury and Manus shitty play against that kind of defense.

Also James and Wade will continue to go full speed. We did a bad job stopping the ball from the get go.

Also TP was in his scoring mode when he had some opportunities to kick it out ...

All in all I've got a fucked up day. I went to sleep after the game and frickin nightmares spurs losing and stuff ... :rolleyes

polandprzem
06-14-2013, 06:33 AM
The refereeing wasnt good. But it wasnt bad either. Again, best reffed Kennedy and Foster game I've seen maybe ever.

here is the guy that said Miami stand not a chance after game 3.

:flipoff

ManuTastic
06-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Originally the game plan was swarm LeBron and take your chances on open looks from Wade and Bosh. Well, Wade woke up (monster on both ends). Now what? Is it time to stay home on everyone else and let Bron get his? Seems suicidal but might squeeze out a couple wins with that. Might...

06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
I agree with Pop sticking with the original defensive game plan. If Lebron and Wade hit their jump shots, so be it. You don't want them driving and opening up 3's from much deadlier shooters. This series is Miami's to lose so the Spurs should shut down all of their strengths and pray Lebron and Wade's jump shots don't fall at a decent clip. That's pretty much all you can do against the best player in the world and a top 10 player.

The thing is, the game was still close even with Wade and Lebron hitting their jumpers. Looking at the stat sheet, the Spurs hit at a decent rate (45%) and a good rate from the 3 point line (50%). The Heat had a small rebounding advantage, but nothing to big. So why did the Spurs lose? The answer is turnovers and lots of it. Miami had 13 steals and the Spurs had 18 turnovers. Transition points off turnovers are an offensive staple for the Heat and gave them the extra offense needed to blow out the Spurs. Bad execution led to the turnovers and also many broken plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. Also, when the Heat dials up their defensive effort, they can lock down the Spurs like the Thunder did last year. They have very athletic personnel and the Spurs lack that transcendent superstar like Dirk, Lebron, or Prime Duncan that can tear down double teams. The only way the Spurs can win this series is if someone on the big 3 steps up and start breaking down the Heat's defense.

chrhawk
06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
As good a game Wade had, he still shot 4-for-12 outside of the paint and got to the free-throw line four times. And two or three of his field goals came off of turnovers. If I'm Pop I come into Game 5 with a similar gameplan and live with the results.

tesseractive
06-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Yes, that was exactly the problem -- Splitter was so incredibly effective that taking him out is what lost us the game.

Well, you're nothing if not consistent.

spurtech09
06-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Manu is never better with less rest, not sure what people expected and Tim looks tired as well, he's not posting up much anymore for a reason.his shot is getting blocked lol....but yeah Duncan needs to do something.....

spurtech09
06-14-2013, 04:35 PM
spurs gave a half baked effort......