PDA

View Full Version : Do we need more Kawhi Leonard?

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-14-2013, 12:59 AM
One of the biggest things I remember from this game was Kawhi driving baseline, skying over Bosh like it was nothing, and finished an impressive three point play and made it look easy. I know Kawhi is young, but the biggest problem with the offense tonight was everyone but Parker just stood and mostly focused on outside shots. Outside of Parker and Ginobili (sometimes), Kawhi is the only guy on this team I would trust driving to the hoop. I know he turns the ball over sometimes and might miss a couple, but if Kawhi starts driving a lot more, then I feel that opens things up for Timmy, Parker, and the outside shooters. Any thoughts?

LakerLanny
06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Kawhi is the man, very proud of him as he is making Aztec Nation feel the pride.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Kawhi is the man, very proud of him as he is making Aztec Nation feel the pride.

As an outsider, do you think he should get more responsibility and should attack the basket way more than he does?

dallasmaverickslose
06-14-2013, 01:04 AM
I would love to see Kawhi play LeBron so physical that he starts to shed tears of frustration. He's gotten close, but not quite there yet. Give him hell, Kawhi!

Rapper
06-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Kawhi the the MVP of this playoffs the leader of our future Big 3 (Green & Neal)

siraulo23
06-14-2013, 01:06 AM
No spurs need more from td manu tony

LakerLanny
As an outsider, do you think he should get more responsibility and should attack the basket way more than he does?

He seems to be getting a little more aggressive, but yes...I think he needs to attack the basket more and needs to play more physical defense on LeBron. Don't be afraid to rough him up some.

DMC
No.

The Spurs need more Spurs basketball, less one on one. They need the Heat to have a glitch, not fire on all cylinders like they did. They don't need anyone to step up big, they need everyone to just step up. They need to get to their spots faster, to rotate faster, to have better spacing, to protect the ball better, to knock down open looks and FTs, to make smart decisions which means in-situ weighing of risk/reward for full court and cross court passes. They need to move the ball around the horn, do the good, better best thing and keep pounding the rock. I could tell how Neal shot that wild ass 3 early on during transition that we were still in late game 3 mode instead of game 4 mode. They need to learn to forget the last game and focus on this one. They need to not defer once they have a lane since it leads to turnovers. I saw that too often tonight, wide open drive and they kick out into coverage and turn it over. Just take the shot, worst that can happen is you miss or get blocked.

We need them to miss some shots as well. At our best, we probably don't beat them at theirs. It's just the facts.

SpurSpurSpurs
06-14-2013, 01:08 AM
He did tried to be more aggressive by attacking the paint, but he does not have such move in his artillery as of now. He still needs Manu and TP make plays for him and the team.

Mr Bones
06-14-2013, 01:24 AM
There's a reason Kawhi starts at small forward-- he's the best small forward on the team. But in game 4, DWade, Lebron, and Bosh all played more minutes than the 21 year old Kawhi. I just think we need him on the floor more. Time management is great during the length of the seaon, but with a maximum of 3 games left in the year, I think it's time to maximize Kawhi's effectiveness as the best defender and second best rebounder on the team.

BatManu20
06-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Are you kidding? He's playing almost every minute of every game.

Brunodf
06-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Yes, Heat always make a run when Kawhi is on the bench

Fabbs
06-14-2013, 01:38 AM
One of the biggest things I remember from this game was Kawhi driving baseline, skying over Bosh like it was nothing, and finished an impressive three point play and made it look easy. I know Kawhi is young, but the biggest problem with the offense tonight was everyone but Parker just stood and mostly focused on outside shots. Outside of Parker and Ginobili (sometimes), Kawhi is the only guy on this team I would trust driving to the hoop. I know he turns the ball over sometimes and might miss a couple, but if Kawhi starts driving a lot more, then I feel that opens things up for Timmy, Parker, and the outside shooters. Any thoughts?
Agree.
Great versatility addition.

Too many trips down floor it's the overly predictible Tim n Tony pic n roll attempt while the other three are supposed to stand around and veg. Allows 2 or 3 Heat defenders to slack and just wait for the rebound.

Mr Bones
06-14-2013, 02:10 AM

Kawhi has not played more than 35 minutes in any of the four games against Miami: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard

dallasmaverickslose
06-14-2013, 02:11 AM
we need more bonner

TheGoldStandard
06-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Kawhi is doing what he's supposed to be doing but I'd like to see him get more touches, that's not his fault though. I think Parker will be feeling better by Sunday, people will get touches and looks we just have to hit the shots.

spurraider21
06-14-2013, 02:50 AM
if we had 2 kawhi's this series would be a sweep

johnnySpurs
06-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Spurs need more Diaw and NO Splitter.

Stabula
06-14-2013, 06:37 AM
We need more cowbell

#2!
06-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Idk one of the worst possessions we had was a Kawhi iso where he just pulled up for a contested long 2. His baseline drives work well b/c they're off of kickoffs from someone inside the paint, thus the defense is already being moved around the floor.

If Kawhi is to get more touches it should be in the post-up. In fact the spurs need to post up more in general, which means they need to work on dealing with the Heat's fronting. Diaw is the best answer for that imo. He's smart enough to run high low.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Idk one of the worst possessions we had was a Kawhi iso where he just pulled up for a contested long 2. His baseline drives work well b/c they're off of kickoffs from someone inside the paint, thus the defense is already being moved around the floor.

If Kawhi is to get more touches it should be in the post-up. In fact the spurs need to post up more in general, which means they need to work on dealing with the Heat's fronting. Diaw is the best answer for that imo. He's smart enough to run high low.

Good point, that was a poor play, however that wasn't how Kawhi should be used. I think sometimes when Parker penetrates he needs to pass it to Kawhi more and quicker and Kawhi needs to drive more past the defender that's closing him out. And I wouldn't be totally against Kawhi driving off of an iso situation, cause we have seen him score one LeBron and Wade. I think he needs to drive more and Pop needs to give him more opportunities to drive. I think Kawhi is too needed to just stand in the corner on offense.

DarrinS
06-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Uh, no he's not.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Spurs need more Diaw and NO Splitter.
Haha well that's obvious!

Darius McCrary
06-14-2013, 11:34 AM
I lost my shit when Pop benched kawhi while Duncan was already sitting and Lebron was still on the floor in the second half. Lost it.

Danny did an admirable job on James but we had no rebounding players on the floor. It was a total joke, and Pop should have left Kawhi in. He's freaking 21, Pop.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I'd like to see Kawhi post up more often.

jestersmash
06-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I'd like to see Kawhi post up more often.

Post up against Lebron? :lmao

Lebron is a hell of a lot stronger than Kawhi. He has the strength to hold is own on defense, but not the strength to consistently score over Lebron in the post on offense.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Post up against Lebron? :lmao

Lebron is a hell of a lot stronger than Kawhi. He has the strength to hold is own on defense, but not the strength to consistently score over Lebron in the post on offense.

I'm not advocating it on every play. When a switch does occur utilize it to throw Miami a new look. In game 5 we may see Diaw on James occasionally and Kawhi on Wade. I don't see why it wouldn't work there.