PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Lakers won't agree to any Dwight Howard sign and trade

Michael Jordan.
06-14-2013, 08:10 PM
So what if Dwight Howard leaves? Here’s one thing you won’t see: the Lakers helping him find his dream team, or trying to salvage something for him, with a sign-and-trade.Barring a bonanza they don’t expect to be offered, insiders say the Lakers’ fallback position would be to bring back this team and bank the savings—almost $50 million in salary and luxury tax.
They would then drop under the luxury tax threshold after next season–a Laker priority after paying the tax for as long as there has been one, with new, ever-escalating repeater penalties. In the key, it would give them $55 million worth of cap space for the 2014 free agent class, which could include LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony.The Rockets, thought to be the Lakers’ leading challenger for Howard’s hand, could open up a maximum $20.5 million slot.However, the Rockets’s dream of a bigger haul—Howard and the Clippers’ Chris Paul—would depend on their ability to off-load $16.8 million in salary gue Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik. The Lakers, however, have no intention of taking Lin and Asik, or any two Rockets with the possible exception of James Harden and whomever. Knowing they had to rebuilt in the face of a financial doomsday, the Lakers acquired Howard, knowing they would have to pay him $23 million per, if they could get him to take it, because of his unique value.
If they lose him, the Lakers would only pay that much for someone else they think has unique value. Coming off back surgery in a bumpy transition that isn’t over, Howard’s value wasn’t all the Lakers hoped for.

Of course, there’s always next season, wherever he is.

http://www.lakersnation.com/sources-lakers-wont-agree-to-dwight-howard-sign-and-trade/2013/06/14/

Spur-Addict
06-14-2013, 08:29 PM
http://www.thehealthage.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/salty-meal-1.jpg

DMX7
06-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Of course they will.

Killakobe81
06-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Me think it depends on what is on the table. Although I think Broussard is full of shit, Monkey Ball Griffin and Nate 2.0 Bledsoe is a decent haul for a center with a bad back.

spurraider21
06-15-2013, 03:27 AM
i thought that in the new cba teams that are over the cap can't get players back in a sign and trade or something stupid like that

Kai
06-15-2013, 01:54 PM
i thought that in the new cba teams that are over the cap can't get players back in a sign and trade or something stupid like that

Teams over the apron (approx $4 mill over the luxury tax threshold) cannot receive a FA player in a sign and trade. The CAN receive players already under contract. The Lakers can deal Dwight out, but they can't accept a sign and traded player

Seventyniner
06-15-2013, 06:49 PM
If the Lakers don't care about payroll at all, they'll take whatever they can get. Could you seriously just drop Dwight from the 2012-2013 Lakers and expect them to do any better than swept in the first round?

Ok, I think the Lakers would've taken a game or two with a healthy backcourt. Still, that's far below their supposed ceiling as presently constructed.

Michael Jordan.
06-15-2013, 06:51 PM
If the Lakers don't care about payroll at all, they'll take whatever they can get. Could you seriously just drop Dwight from the 2012-2013 Lakers and expect them to do any better than swept in the first round?

Ok, I think the Lakers would've taken a game or two with a healthy backcourt. Still, that's far below their supposed ceiling as presently constructed.
I think they're willing to sacrifice a year in which Kobe would only be back for the second half in order to chase LeBron, who they won't come close to getting :lol

Splits
06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
They would then drop under the luxury tax threshold after next season–a Laker priority after paying the tax for as long as there has been one, with new, ever-escalating repeater penalties.

This is a retarded statement. The Fakeshow have exactly 1 player under contract "after next season" and no matter what they do with Duh-white they will be under the "luxury tax threshold". Now, that player is Steve Nash and he's guaranteed almost $10m for the 2014-15 season (:lmao) but whoever wrote this has no idea what they're talking about unless they're trying to give aid and comfort to Faker fan about something that is already predestined.

Seventyniner
06-15-2013, 09:48 PM
This is a retarded statement. The Fakeshow have exactly 1 player under contract "after next season" and no matter what they do with Duh-white they will be under the "luxury tax threshold". Now, that player is Steve Nash and he's guaranteed almost $10m for the 2014-15 season (:lmao) but whoever wrote this has no idea what they're talking about unless they're trying to give aid and comfort to Faker fan about something that is already predestined.

You're not including Kobe re-signing for the max. Since his contract is from the old CBA, I think he can get raises based off next year's $30M salary.

Do you really think he would re-sign for any less?

BlackSwordsMan
06-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Dwight should join the spurs when manu retires this year and bonner is fired for being a shitty player spurs will have a lot of money to throw at this 7 foot dunker

Chinook
06-15-2013, 10:42 PM
You're not including Kobe re-signing for the max. Since his contract is from the old CBA, I think he can get raises based off next year's $30M salary.

As far as I understand, even the current CBA guarantees at least a five-percent increase in salaries from the last year of the player's contract even if it's above the max. So Kobe would be able to get a deal starting at $31.5 Million (up to a $174M/5 deal :wow).

Chinook
06-15-2013, 10:46 PM
The Lakers would be stupid not to get SOMETHING back for Howard. Even if it's just Thomas Robinson and some draft picks. If they are seriously playing for 2014, they may as well amnesty/waive Gasol and World Peace and go under the tax. Maybe they'll get a nice pick and some assets for their lost players. Then after next season, they'll still have enough room under the cap to get two max players.

If they don't want to S&T Howard out of spite, they should grow up. Even Cleveland did the trade with Miami after the whole Decision debacle.

bluebellmaniac
06-16-2013, 01:08 AM
As far as I understand, even the current CBA guarantees at least a five-percent increase in salaries from the last year of the player's contract even if it's above the max. So Kobe would be able to get a deal starting at $31.5 Million (up to a $174M/5 deal :wow).

Here's to hoping they hamstring themselves through most of the rest of this decade.

Splits
06-16-2013, 01:07 PM

No idea what will happen with Kirbs, but again, even if he signed for $30 million they'd still be under the tax threshold.

DPG21920
06-16-2013, 01:14 PM
We heard the same thing from CLE. If Dwight is set on leaving, they will S&T him if they can.

Killakobe81
06-16-2013, 02:18 PM
We heard the same thing from CLE. If Dwight is set on leaving, they will S&T him if they can.

Im with DPG, especially if the asset they get backs makes sense. Sure soem late 1st round picks are not worth much, but it is still value in return.
Lakers just bluffing and I dont blame them. But tbh I almost want a CLips trade. We would get the younger monkey baller and although some Clip fans are annoying I welcome the competition in L.A. tbh. If teh Clips stay relevant it FORCES the Lakers to not coast. We always will own Los Angeles and will be back before too long either way, but some across the hall pressure is welcome.

Although Clips would be the better team:

I would be pleased wih: Blake, Pau, MWP's replacement, Achilles, Nash, Bledsoe, Blake, Hill, Meeksand Clark as a rotation. It is still only a fringe playoff team but that is what we have now. We flip Pau for an asset and things could be even better. All i know is even with health I dont want to see the same team we had last year. If we cant cut bait on Mike D then give hims some athletes and let us run ...not like we are winning the chip anyway.

StrengthAndHonor
06-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Dude were not trading Griffin for Howard:lol OG Clippers fans would revolt, I know most fanbases are not too fond of Griffin but he's a good kid with huge potential. Blake practically made the Clippers relevant.

Squirtle(Westbrook)
06-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Nobody from the Lakers organization has addressed this issue.

whitemamba
06-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Dude were not trading Griffin for Howard:lol OG Clippers fans would revolt, I know most fanbases are not too fond of Griffin but he's a good kid with huge potential. Blake practically made the Clippers relevant.

most people have been to a zoo....