PDA

View Full Version : Translation about Oberto: It was now or never

Mavs<Spurs
07-15-2005, 06:58 AM
It was now or never.

The Spurs picked up F Oberto who will play beside his friend Manu and will help Duncan in the paint. A dream realized at 30 years.

“Is it the one about Oberto?” Herb, a well known players’ agent based in the United States who counts Manu Ginobili among his famous clients, asks his secretary Ole.
The last name Oberto is a sound rarely pronounced in English, but from today on it will be heard like never before in the environment of the NBA because Herb Rudoy opened the mouth after a month of silent negotiations with general manager R. C. Buford and announced the verbal agreement with the Spurs for the arrival of the Las Varillas (place) pivot next season.
The champion will continue with Ginobili as a star and will strengthen itself with F Oberto in the paint. It is impossible not to make yourself a fan of the San Antonio Spurs with two Argentinian players on the team.
“Imagine yourself… It is a dream to play to the side of Manu recognizes the Cordobes? of 2.08 meters. It is difficult not to glue yourself to the television with four countrymen in the league, a list that follows Nocioni, and closes with Delfino in Detroit and has two other ambassadors on the best basketball team in the world. A historic amount.

The arrival of Oberto has been waiting for some time now because of his high level in Europe and the last scores(International competition) including two unforgettable victories over the United States.
It was now or never is explained by (Oberto’s) 30 years. Officially, it will wait until next Friday at a minimum, respecting the strict rules of the NBA which newly open the market for free agents and permit the signing of new players. For the moment, there only exists a nonbinding, informal (not quite literal-but accurate) agreement for three seasons. Oberto is not yet able to confirm a formal agreement with the Spurs because that would break the rules and they lack specific contractual details; everything is in the hands of Herb Rudoy.

Obviously, the contract numbers are not known, although this does not interest Oberto that much and he left it in a second plane behind the sport aspect like he had said to Ole in the week, “At this place in my career, I don’t have to accept anything. I don’t have a predilection toward any team in the NBA, but I want opportunities to play and I want to be in the regular rotation. I do not plan to go to see what will happen… I take it as my objective, dream and ambition… I want to show that I can play with the best!”

Nine days ago, his first daughter, Julia, was born, changing the topics of thought from basketball to nursing and making the mood more light. “It appears that she was born with bread under her arm” he cheers to himself. The planning took shape around the beginning of June when he rescinded his contract with Pamesa Valencia and returned to Cordoba with clear ideas, beyond the 50,000 euros for the exit clause. It provoked pride in me that they wanted me in Valencia and other important clubs in Europe called me, but I have in my head only the NBA. It is my first option he said.

At the same time, the Spurs technician, Gregg Popovich looked for him, in order to touch up the Spurs institution and think of another future winner. Two selected companions of Manu, Oberto and Scola, fight for one place. The high exit clause of Tau Ceramica 3.2 million dollars (Is this still correct given what we now know?) made it difficult for the Olympic finalist. Oberto broke the bond with Valencia and negotiated with more freedom. “I like Oberto a lot… Each time I like him more and more,” Pop said during the preOlympic trials in Puerto Rico 2003 with an imaginary babero? placed and the name of the cordobes jumping back up again after each annotation. His two productions in that tournament in front of the NBA like before in World 2002 (games) and afterwards in Athens in 2004 increased the size of the door (made it easier to get into the NBA is what the person appears to be trying to say).

The comparison with the companions of Tim Duncan in the interior game, Nazr and Rasho, leave Oberto in good standing. Nazr (2.08 ) did not give too many guarantees. Called in the playoffs from the Knicks through the trade for Malik Rose, he scored 6.2points and 6.4 rebounds. The Slovenian, Rasho, was a witness of luxury in the postseason. Submerged in the bank (ie a debt to our team seems to be what the writer is getting at), he scored 5.9 points and took 6.6 rebounds, numbers equivalent to the dark skinned one (Nazr), who costs less. Rasho, the one to whom the salary of 6.72 million next season and has a contract until 08/09, is a big man to be used as trade bait in search of a buyer. More room for Oberto, who was selected to frustrate Jermaine O’Neal and played even against Yao Ming.

Now arrives the moment of justice. Already mature, far from the skinny person that in 95 confronted future American stare in a combined of Rest of the World and that in 96 measured forces with Shaq, in an unequal duel. “Where are you from? Las Varillas? Tomorrow we score on Shaq, Guillermo Vecchio had said to him as motivation before his Olympic debut in Atlanta 96, when the monsters won in a trot and the Argentinians did not even dream of their present gold. In the 97, dates are annotated in the Mundial Sub 21 of Australia, where Manu played few minutes and Julio Lamas directed a group ready for big things.

Lamas was rightly one of the consultants for the Spurs over the contracting of the pivot. There were only good references to Fabri, who the next day on his flight to Atlanta who grew with the weight and the training on his account in Cordoba, with the desire of a boy who dreams of the NBA.

Whew, that was all of it. It’s got some Argentian and I’m not from Agentina and some slang . I tried to do the best I could with what I had to work with!

Gummi
07-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for that themanurules. Is anyone else happy that this Scola fiasco is over for now? We got a nice player in Oberto and now the Spurs can focus on signing other players or trade for them.

Gino2882
07-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Well since we learned the truth about Scola's buyout (not sure if he will ever play in NBA) then this is a very good signing IMO.

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 07:18 AM
thanks for the translation.

Mavs<Spurs
07-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks for that themanurules. Is anyone else happy that this Scola fiasco is over for now? We got a nice player in Oberto and now the Spurs can focus on signing other players or trade for them.

It is nice to be appreciated. I don't know what to think. Everything about Oberto sounds good. The Scola thing (with his buyout) sounds like a disaster and a missed opportunity (even more for him than for us). I mean we could have used him and everyone says he is a great player and all, but we are going to just be better. I kinda think Parker might break out a little (esp with that new shooting coach). Really, I just can't see anyone being better than we are. I think we are the team to beat, with Miami a close second. Some other teams did get better and more free agents will move, but Tim is the best player in the world, Manu is an elite player, we have the most complete team, either the best defense or tied for the best defense and a great offense. I would have liked to have seriously improved. Maybe we did. But either we, we are the best. On Oberto (and Scola), I guess it's a wait and see kind of thing unless you've watched a lot of European games (I haven't).

Laters,
:fro

spvrs
07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
good man! thanks

what's all this about bread under the arm of his daughter? guessing that's an idiom...

Mavs<Spurs
07-15-2005, 07:33 AM
good man! thanks

what's all this about bread under the arm of his daughter? guessing that's an idiom...

Yeah, I guess we could guess about the meaning of the idiom. This writer used so many idioms and a lot of words that I'm thinking you hardly hear outside of Argentina. Parts of it drove me crazy. Well, anyways I tried to help. :fro

TheTruth
07-15-2005, 07:37 AM
Well since we learned the truth about Scola's buyout (not sure if he will ever play in NBA) then this is a very good signing IMO.
In 2 years his contract will be up. Scola will be in the NBA sooner rather than later.

Mavs<Spurs
07-15-2005, 07:39 AM
In 2 years his contract will be up. Scola will be in the NBA sooner rather than later.

Hope your right and that he's in a Spurs unifrom
:fro

Mr. Body
07-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Scola will come here at 27.