PDA

View Full Version : JUST DRIVE MANU!!!

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-15-2013, 12:40 PM
I know he's worried about injuries, but fuck he became who he was by being a double threat and by playing a but of hero ball.. He's so passive now. Drive and go for the tough layup! I won't mind. Thoughts? What will Manyu need to do?

playbonner15
06-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Retire.

Typhoon
06-15-2013, 12:45 PM
He needs to go back to his 03-05 mindset, that is the ginobili spurs need if they wanna win this.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Retire.
Not only are you stupid as fuck, but your username makes your opinion completely insignificant.

wtgspurs
06-15-2013, 12:52 PM
At this point and time in this season it's far too late to think of anything great to magically happen for Manu, let's be honest, we've been crying about him since the season started and we keep on waiting on his breakout, but it never happened. I'm trying hard not to doubt him, but i just can't pretend like he's not playing like crap all season long...he is and it costed us some games.

playblair
06-15-2013, 12:55 PM
man/blair pNr = legit = answers too manus struggles.............................. play blair...........................

playbonner15
06-15-2013, 01:04 PM
man/blair pNr = legit = answers too manus struggles.............................. play blair...........................

"What does manu have to do?"

playblair: play blair

:lol

LakerHater
06-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Manu on his health: “I am fine.” Manu said Kawhi Leonard’s knee is a little sore though.

SouthernFried
06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Spoken like 20 somethings who don't understand what getting old in sports mean. "Just drive!!"

Just saying something like that, when it's so obvious he can't do what he did 10 yrs ago...

Eh, not worth my time.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Spoken like 20 somethings who don't understand what getting old in sports mean. "Just drive!!"

Just saying something like that, when it's so obvious he can't do what he did 10 yrs ago...

Eh, not worth my time.
He's still driving but he's not shooting. He can do it, he's been running around the whole series.

superjames1992
06-15-2013, 08:43 PM
LOL, like a player can "just drive." :lol

It's not like he can magically regain lost speed or barrel over defenders to get to the basket. You can only take what you can get. The fact that his shot is off isn't helping matters, either, as defenders are able to sag off of him more.

m33p0
06-15-2013, 09:58 PM
from PtR
An alternative explanation for Manu's struggles (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/6/15/4433950/spurs-heat-nba-finals-manu-ginobili-struggles)

Sean Cagney
06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Retire.

:lol

TheGoldStandard
06-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Manu needs to bridge the gap, he doesn't have to totally sell his body out but he also can't take those 25 foot contested step back 3's. He has to meet it somewhere in the middle, come off the screen and either back up and swing the ball around and come off a screen or drive and pull up for a jump shot.

Sean Cagney
06-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Eh, not worth my time.
You are 100% correct, it's not that easy.

capek
06-15-2013, 10:06 PM
That's what he did in game 2..... :depressed

ElNono
06-15-2013, 10:06 PM
from PtR
An alternative explanation for Manu's struggles (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/6/15/4433950/spurs-heat-nba-finals-manu-ginobili-struggles)

Spot on, tbh... for those that understand basketball and Gino in general, that makes too much sense...

Sean Cagney
06-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Spot on, tbh... for those that understand basketball and Gino in general, that makes too much sense...

But he still has played good and this was out after game 2 correct? Some thought he would eventually have his shot fall and so on would fall more into place but this is game 5 coming up and he still has not done it. It's more than just understanding bball when you see the results you are getting, numbers do not lie at times and his are atrocious right now. I agree he is not magically going to be near 08 Manu anymore even but as of right now I just hope a few of his shots fall and some article saying what he can do and will do is not cutting it. He needs his shot to fall from time to time, period.

milkyway21
06-15-2013, 10:29 PM
LOL, like a player can "just drive." :lol

It's not like he can magically regain lost speed or barrel over defenders to get to the basket. You can only take what you can get. The fact that his shot is off isn't helping matters, either, as defenders are able to sag off of him more.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/970992_335149413279191_1551549821_n.jpg
clear his path like what they do to TP's defenders, I bet he can still give you this :lol

:ihit :ihit :ihit

ElNono
06-15-2013, 10:31 PM
But he still has played good and this was out after game 2 correct? Some thought he would eventually have his shot fall and so on would fall more into place but this is game 5 coming up and he still has not done it. It's more than just understanding bball when you see the results you are getting, numbers do not lie at times and his are atrocious right now. I agree he is not magically going to be near 08 Manu anymore even but as of right now I just hope a few of his shots fall and some article saying what he can do and will do is not cutting it. He needs his shot to fall from time to time, period.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to with 'he still has not done it'... he isn't missing on purpose, you know?

And the article goes beyond the shooting, but also explains what has been discussed ad nauseum here, but only people paying attention noticed: Miami's P&R defense targets the ball handler, in this case Manu and Tony. The fact that guys like Neal and Green are thriving is directly related to both Tony and Manu making the right plays and finding the open guy... we're nowhere near 2-2 without those two guys setting the table for everyone else.

Another topic in the article is turnovers... something that has turned in some sort of meme at this point in the Finals... I thought it drove the point home nicely: if you're looking for who's turning the ball over, you have to look somewhere else.

All in all, I thought it was a well written article, that describes the current situation accurately, tbh

ViceCity84
06-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Drive here
http://www.thefamilyvent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Nursing-Homes-Women-Seated-in-Line.jpg

Legacy
06-15-2013, 10:45 PM
from PtR

Great article. Thank you for sharing. :)

m33p0
06-15-2013, 10:47 PM
having manu start alongside tp would be great if only it didn't kill the second unit. unless pop is sure tmac can still contribute, it's not really a viable option at this point. game 5 of the finals is far from an ideal time to experiment. we'll have to roll with what we've got and nut up.

weeks
06-15-2013, 10:51 PM
all i have to say is this.

manu, this is probably your last finals appearance. these next few games will be the final memory everyone has of you. make it count.

Sean Cagney
06-15-2013, 10:52 PM
DP.

Sean Cagney
06-15-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to with 'he still has not done it'... he isn't missing on purpose, you know?

And the article goes beyond the shooting, but also explains what has been discussed ad nauseum here, but only people paying attention noticed: Miami's P&R defense targets the ball handler, in this case Manu and Tony. The fact that guys like Neal and Green are thriving is directly related to both Tony and Manu making the right plays and finding the open guy... we're nowhere near 2-2 without those two guys setting the table for everyone else.

Another topic in the article is turnovers... something that has turned in some sort of meme at this point in the Finals... I thought it drove the point home nicely: if you're looking for who's turning the ball over, you have to look somewhere else.

All in all, I thought it was a well written article, that describes the current situation accurately, tbh
He has played horrible and alot of his passes are so bad they have to run and catch them and although not a to it's basically like one! Thats alot of what I have seen in these finals from Manu. His shot is far off too, nothing outside looks like it is remotely close to dropping. Analysts and fans of the game etc. are all talking about it and he has been horrible, fans at work that aren't Spurs fans are talking to me about it. They say he really needs to show up for you guys to win so don't act like he has been a big part of the two wins so far because his assists are not that high and his % is horrible. The article is alright and after game 2 I might agree it will eventually change, but two games later and he is still missing and making some passes that make you scratch your head! I yell just make a damn normal PASS for once!

I am waiting for him to show up and play like he did atleast this year! HEY ROUND ONE MANU? Even the GS Warriors Series Manu! He is not turning it over per se alot! But his long threes that are off are just like TO's when Miami gets a long rebound and is out and running! That happens too. Also if he misses a pass and our guy has to run for it and can't spot up off of it then it's basically as bad as a TO at times too! Sets up a bad shot and thats what he has done a few times. He needs to play under control moreso, he can still shoot the three I guess but if it is not falling or close then why? His whole game just looks shakey these finals sides that game 3 beginning, the best Q he had yet and then started chucking threes again. LOL nowhere near 2-2 without Manu, if you say so! I would say Green is way more of a key there.
all i have to say is this.

manu, this is probably your last finals appearance. these next few games will be the final memory everyone has of you. make it count.

PERIOD END OF STORY! Thats the bottom line.

milkyway21
06-15-2013, 11:08 PM
from PtR

nice article on Manu, thanks

ElNono
06-15-2013, 11:59 PM
He has played horrible and alot of his passes are so bad they have to run and catch them and although not a to it's basically like one! Thats alot of what I have seen in these finals from Manu. His shot is far off too, nothing outside looks like it is remotely close to dropping. Analysts and fans of the game etc. are all talking about it and he has been horrible, fans at work that aren't Spurs fans are talking to me about it. They say he really needs to show up for you guys to win so don't act like he has been a big part of the two wins so far because his assists are not that high and his % is horrible. The article is alright and after game 2 I might agree it will eventually change, but two games later and he is still missing and making some passes that make you scratch your head! I yell just make a damn normal PASS for once!

So what do you suggest he does? He's trapped with two guys, he has to get rid of the ball. The Spurs got this far with ball movement. Move, move, move... even Manu has said that outside game 2, he's passed well, found teammates and created for the rest. Couldn't agree more. This isn't about his numbers. We have a perimeter shooter hitting at 60% from downtown. You want that guy to get as many good looks as possible, instead of somebody that's not shooting well going hero. He doesn't have to pass to the guy that shoots right away either, so he won't get an assist every time. But by drawing the attention (and both him and Tony do that), they set the table for everyone else.

The passes might irk you, but as long as they don't end up in Miami's players hands (and largely they have not), it's what we've done all season and got us this far.

I am waiting for him to show up and play like he did atleast this year! HEY ROUND ONE MANU? Even the GS Warriors Series Manu! He is not turning it over per se alot! But his long threes that are off are just like TO's when Miami gets a long rebound and is out and running! That happens too. Also if he misses a pass and our guy has to run for it and can't spot up off of it then it's basically as bad as a TO at times too! Sets up a bad shot and thats what he has done a few times. He needs to play under control moreso, he can still shoot the three I guess but if it is not falling or close then why? His whole game just looks shakey these finals sides that game 3 beginning, the best Q he had yet and then started chucking threes again. LOL nowhere near 2-2 without Manu, if you say so! I would say Green is way more of a key there.

Are you aware that Miami was the #1 defense in the league this season, and the Spurs were NOT the #1 offense? We're far from the only team having trouble breaking that defense. It's certainly not just Manu having to labor like crazy to score against these guys. They're good, and for ball handlers like Manu and Tony nothing has come easy. Tony at least is young and has quickness. This is why this isn't Round 1 or Round 2 or Round 3... these are the champs. They lock you the fuck down. That's why we can't keep on missing little chippies at the rim. When we have an opportunity, we have to make them pay. Every point is major.

It's actually pretty phenomenal we're 2-2 in this series. Nobody had this team as top 4 when the season started. I understand everyone can feel that championship so close that they want some hero to take us there. But this late in the season, the Spurs are not going to change who they are and what brought them here. That includes Manu. He's not a 15-20pt scorer on the regular anymore, and he's not even shooting that much to be that. If you get that out of him, it's gravy. He's the guy that sets the table for everyone else in the second unit. That's his role, and outside game 2, he's played that role well (not great, but well, considering the opponent).

Obviously his shooting slump doesn't help, but it's a slump, he's not missing on purpose. Wade had the same problem games 1-3, and then he found his stroke in the last game. I'm sure Wade wasn't doing it on purpose either. Sometimes that happens, and you have to find other ways to contribute.I know Manu can do more, and I'm hoping he does, but he's far from hurting the team. We've been in every game but Game 2. That means the bench has been competitive, and that includes him.

And frankly, comparing him to Green or Neal makes zero sense. They have completely different roles. Tell Green/Neal to play the backup PG, bring the ball up and face a P&R trap, and we're down 20 in 5 minutes. Green and Neal benefit from the fact they play off the ball, and that guys like Manu and Tony set everything up for them. Manu doesn't get that benefit at all. The only chance Manu has to do that is when he plays with Tony, and when TP is on the floor, he's option number one.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2013, 12:05 AM
So what do you suggest he does? He's trapped with two guys, he has to get rid of the ball. The Spurs got this far with ball movement. Move, move, move... even Manu has said that outside game 2, he's passed well, found teammates and created for the rest. Couldn't agree more. This isn't about his numbers. We have a perimeter shooter hitting at 60% from downtown. You want that guy to get as many good looks as possible, instead of somebody that's not shooting well going hero. He doesn't have to pass to the guy that shoots right away either, so he won't get an assist every time. But by drawing the attention (and both him and Tony do that), they set the table for everyone else.

The passes might irk you, but as long as they don't end up in Miami's players hands (and largely they have not), it's what we've done all season and got us this far.

Are you aware that Miami was the #1 defense in the league this season, and the Spurs were NOT the #1 offense? We're far from the only team having trouble breaking that defense. It's certainly not just Manu having to labor like crazy to score against these guys. They're good, and for ball handlers like Manu and Tony nothing has come easy. Tony at least is young and has quickness. This is why this isn't Round 1 or Round 2 or Round 3... these are the champs. They lock you the fuck down. That's why we can't keep on missing little chippies at the rim. When we have an opportunity, we have to make them pay. Every point is major.

It's actually pretty phenomenal we're 2-2 in this series. Nobody had this team as top 4 when the season started. I understand everyone can feel that championship so close that they want some hero to take us there. But this late in the season, the Spurs are not going to change who they are and what brought them here. That includes Manu. He's not a 15-20pt scorer on the regular anymore, and he's not even shooting that much to be that. If you get that out of him, it's gravy. He's the guy that sets the table for everyone else in the second unit. That's his role, and outside game 2, he's played that role well (not great, but well, considering the opponent).

Obviously his shooting slump doesn't help, but it's a slump, he's not missing on purpose. Wade had the same problem games 1-3, and then he found his stroke in the last game. I'm sure Wade wasn't doing it on purpose either. Sometimes that happens, and you have to find other ways to contribute.I know Manu can do more, and I'm hoping he does, but he's far from hurting the team. We've been in every game but Game 2. That means the bench has been competitive, and that includes him.

And frankly, comparing him to Green or Neal makes zero sense. They have completely different roles. Tell Green/Neal to play the backup PG, bring the ball up and face a P&R trap, and we're down 20 in 5 minutes. Green and Neal benefit from the fact they play off the ball, and that guys like Manu and Tony set everything up for them. Manu doesn't get that benefit at all. The only chance Manu has to do that is when he plays with Tony, and when TP is on the floor, he's option number one.

You made some good points there but as far as I said the long threes are like a TO at times, it goes long for the rebound and they are off and running, I saw this a few times in the playoffs! Also as I said his passes while not TO's are so far off the mark someone has to run and get them and nearly goes backcourt or they get stripped down low! Thats as bad as a TO at times! His passes are just reckless whether a TO or not alot of times! Get some control on them! I know he has always played reckless but he has had some pretty ass passes too to set you up not set you off mark for a shot or making you chase a ball down. I hope he plays well tomorrow MAN! WE NEED HIM! So far though he has been horrible shooting 34%, 18% from threes and 3 assists a game in 24 minutes (YIKES), we will need alot more from him as he is an x factor and we need him to win this damn TITLE! PERIOD! I am waiting, ball is in his court now.

Baam
06-16-2013, 12:08 AM
If Manu wants to keep shooting 3s they have to play him with Baynes battling for offensive boards and not with the bleeding vagina.

m33p0
06-16-2013, 12:10 AM
If Manu wants to keep shooting 3s they have to play him with Baynes battling for offensive boards and not with the bleeding vagina.
missed 3s result to long rebounds. baynes ain't gonna help there.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2013, 12:12 AM
missed 3s result to long rebounds. baynes ain't gonna help there.

Thats what I have been saying, his long missed threes are like a damn TO at times, they get out and break after that and run! Seems most don't get that.

m33p0
06-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Thats what I have been saying, his long missed threes are like a damn TO at times, they get out and break after that and run! Seems most don't get that.

here lies the problem:
1. tp can't play 48 minutes especially with the way miami defends him. his hamstring injury just multiplied the difficulty level by a factor of 4.
2. there's no other spur otherside of manu that can provide the same level of playing making skills that tony provides. tracy mcgrady potentially but that's something i don't want to risk unless he's in there with either tony or manu.
3. manu needs to get going but to get him going, his 3 ball needs to get going which, unfortunately, isn't.
4. if anyone thinks that danny green (bless his heart) or gary neal can do it, no. they are there as release valves, not to be ones responsible breaking down miami's perimeter defense.
5. we're in a major clusterfuck unless manu just finally says to himself, "fuck this. i'm going to dump a big pile of crap on you all!"
6. great news is if this happens, spurs win even if miami plays well.

ElNono
06-16-2013, 12:26 AM
You made some good points there but as far as I said the long threes are like a TO at times, it goes long for the rebound and they are off and running, I saw this a few times in the playoffs! Also as I said his passes while not TO's are so far off the mark someone has to run and get them and nearly goes backcourt or they get stripped down low! Thats as bad as a TO at times! His passes are just reckless whether a TO or not alot of times! Get some control on them! I know he has always played reckless but he has had some pretty ass passes too to set you up not set you off mark for a shot or making you chase a ball down. I hope he plays well tomorrow MAN! WE NEED HIM! So far though he has been horrible shooting 34%, 18% from threes and 3 assists a game in 24 minutes (YIKES), we will need alot more from him as he is an x factor and we need him to win this damn TITLE! PERIOD! I am waiting, ball is in his court now.

You keep bringing individual stats, but big picture it's not that what's going to make us win or lose. Like I said earlier, he dropped 34 against OKC last season, and we lost the game. What's going to make us win games is the entire team playing well, period.

Obviously we all will be rooting for him to find his shot in the next few games. That's going to be key to open up his game individually. But if we turn it over 20 times, we're not winning, and Manu shooting 75% won't matter either.

And if he doesn't shoot well, let's hope he keeps on making plays for guys like Neal or Green that help us win. At this stage of the season, that's all you can ask for.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2013, 12:30 AM
You keep bringing individual stats, but big picture it's not that what's going to make us win or lose. Like I said earlier, he dropped 34 against OKC last season, and we lost the game. What's going to make us win games is the entire team playing well, period.

Obviously we all will be rooting for him to find his shot in the next few games. That's going to be key to open up his game individually. But if we turn it over 20 times, we're not winning, and Manu shooting 75% won't matter either.

And if he doesn't shoot well, let's hope he keeps on making plays for guys like Neal or Green that help us win. At this stage of the season, that's all you can ask for.

I agree NONO! I just expect more out of a future HOF thats all! I want him to get 15 and 5 tomorrow and we win! I have been waiting for Manu to break out so bad I am starting to think it might not happen and I HOPE IT DOES! I am sorry I want them to win this one and we need all hands on Deck. BTW if we turn it over near 19 times again, I will turn off the damn game! We are on the same page, we want Manu doing well and the Spurs winning! I hope MANU can be a QB tomorrow night, if his shot is not falling so be it but pass under control or get a key steal and I am all on!

GO SPURS GO! GET EM!
here lies the problem:
1. tp can't play 48 minutes especially with the way miami defends him. his hamstring injury just multiplied the difficulty level by a factor of 4.
2. there's no other spur otherside of manu that can provide the same level of playing making skills that tony provides. tracy mcgrady potentially but that's something i don't want to risk unless he's in there with either tony or manu.
3. manu needs to get going but to get him going, his 3 ball needs to get going which, unfortunately, isn't.
4. if anyone thinks that danny green (bless his heart) or gary neal can do it, no. they are there as release valves, not to be ones responsible breaking down miami's perimeter defense.
5. we're in a major clusterfuck unless manu just finally says to himself, "fuck this. i'm going to dump a big pile of crap on you all!"

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!

Dingle Barry
06-16-2013, 02:51 AM

Eh, not worth my time.

How appropriate. The aging poster.

SpurSpurSpurs
06-16-2013, 03:05 AM

They still haven't banned your account? Mad props dog! :toast

m33p0
06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
here lies the problem:
not quite but close enough :hat

hater
06-17-2013, 12:06 AM
I know he's worried about injuries, but fuck he became who he was by being a double threat and by playing a but of hero ball.. He's so passive now. Drive and go for the tough layup! I won't mind. Thoughts? What will Manyu need to do?

rack this mofo. nothing else to say. good call homes

superjames1992
06-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Good adjustments by Pop and co. to use the iso to allow Manu to get into the paint tonight, tbh. Miami couldn't double and trap him as with the pick-and-roll.

superjames1992
06-17-2013, 12:31 AM
It's interesting that Manu played 33 minutes tonight, as well. That has to be the longest he has played in quite awhile during a regulation length game (no OT).

Starting him helped this by allowing him more rest in between his stints, IMO.